Page 273 of 824 FirstFirst ... 173223263269270271272273274275276277283323373773 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,095 of 12354
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal View Post

I'm a life long Bruce Lee fan; studied martial arts because of Bruce Lee and personally met Masters who have trained with, learned from, and sparred Bruce Lee. I can kinda see Bruce getting hit by a lucky punch but for his leg to be caught in mid air by a stunt guy in the 60's, no way, total BS! Bruce was fast that the film cameras had to be slowed down to capture some of his kicks (Proof: Enter the Dragon, fights scene with Mr. Han before they enter the mirror room). Bruce would also never speak bad about Muhammad Ali; that was one of his heroes. He added Ali's footwork into his JKD system which you can see in all of Bruce Lee's movies. I don't know what was in Tarantino's mind but these are known, easy to find, facts and as the fan of Bruce Lee, he claims to be should have known.
    Seconded.

Pretty much every biographical doc on Bruce Lee longer than 500 words would state that Bruce Lee revered Ali. He'd never say in public that he'd leave him a cripple in a fight. The guy used to watch tapes of Ali in the mirror so he could see him fight Southpaw.

Its really interesting that for a guy as research happy as Q.T. the scene with Bruce Lee involves him stating something so opposite to his beliefs.

Yes, Bruce Lee was cocky but not to THAT extent. Tarantino misrepresented Bruce Lee so the audience would be on Brad Pitt's side.

No wonder his daughter is upset.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

I haven't seen Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood yet but from what I've heard the scene is a flashback and you're supposed to think Brad Pitt's character is lying about his experience with Bruce Lee to make himself look good. But again I haven't seen it yet so I don't know if that's how scene should be interpreted.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Man, these recent 'revelations' about Ronald Reagan have got me ROFL LMAO like a loon at the conservative tears leaking in response. Noooo, the man who coined the term 'welfare queens,' and told California businesses that it was it was their constitutional right to descriminate against blacks if they wanted to, was somehow, someway...R-R-RACIST?! Damn that Nixon and his irrefutable taped evidence!

I really, really hope that in his last years, Ronnie's Alzheimer's kept flashing him back to seeing that Playboy cover where his daughter's boobs get covered by a black male model's hands. "Patti! Nooooooooo!"
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Man, these recent 'revelations' about Ronald Reagan have got me ROFL LMAO like a loon at the conservative tears leaking in response. Noooo, the man who coined the term 'welfare queens,' and told California businesses that it was it was their constitutional right to descriminate against blacks if they wanted to, was somehow, someway...R-R-RACIST?! Damn that Nixon and his irrefutable taped evidence!

I really, really hope that in his last years, Ronnie's Alzheimer's kept flashing him back to seeing that Playboy cover where his daughter's boobs get covered by a black male model's hands. "Patti! Nooooooooo!"
    Isn't Reagan their hero? I just remember conservatives talking about how much they love him.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    @kurenai24, if you're still around, is it a big angry blowout?

I saw that pic in a thread that was talking about/disdaining about Jon Kent. I saw the dark-skinned dude in the lightning costume, and thought "Oh hey! Lightning Lad's a person of color now? That's cool, and he looks cool in his outfit, too! And I like his hair, both style and color!" One of the big things about the Legion of Superheroes is that the principal cast and the more well-know and often-used characters in its roster are infamously white or white-coded. Not even the multi-colored aliens are exempt. I noted this once in the Appreciation Thread early this year or late last year that this would need to be addressed if they brought them back, lest they be dated in a contemporary context. I... got the feeling that no one else in the thread saw anything as an issue, and I haven't been back since. Last thing I remember is them going back to gushing over the overly-white cast favorites. Anyway, this is good news.

Is the reason you said you'll be staying away from the DC side of the forums because of Marvel-style "fan-pushback"?
    I have no idea what the actual reaction is, as soon as I saw the updated roster on Seth Meyers, I just kind of sighed, I assumed based on past experiences on this forum that people would react negatively to these racebent or more alien-like characters.

I will say that nobody made a fuss over the early character design of Cosmic Boy being racebent as asian ...then again nobody was sure if that was just the art or actually the case. Plus most were too busy complaining about Bendis and the costume designs (which btw Dawnstar is too on the nose and Cosmic Boy in pink/peach ain't working for me), but it was stated in this thread that the reaction wasn't too bad.

I also saw comicbook.com say something about fans speculating that Lightning Lad may be a descendant of Black Lightning so I guess maybe speculation is the thing that's going on versus ranting.

But if people were already doing some variation of 'Not My Legion' over costume designs and the very little we know about this new iteration, I don't think it's farfetched to assume a bad reaction.

And yeah, you're right about the well known and often-used characters on Legion being white and/or white-coded, I like the look of this team, it actually looks like these characters came from different planets instead of white people looking they stepped out of the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I am a big fan of the Bronze Age Legion. Superboy & the Legion of Superheroes was the very first comic I ever read.

Several POC members of the Legion have been introduced. I am afraid that those Legionnaires may be set aside in favor of the race-bent members.

Light Lass is now of African descent. However, we already had Computo (Danielle Foccart), Kid Quantum II, and XS (Barry Allen's granddaughter).

We get one race-bent sista, but will we lose three?

I'm hoping Bendis can make this work.
    I think you're right to be afraid b/c unfortunately that's gonna happen. The promo image shown of the Legion has the 34 members Bendis said was on the team, so unless that changes in the future, those original characters of color are stuck on the shelf.

I think that was bound to happen with this new iteration, they were either gonna use the diverse characters that already existed or racebend some of the characters and considering how little those original characters of color are acknowledged by fans or DC they decided to racebend. It pains me to lose 3 original black female characters for 1 racebent one but I'm not even gonna front, even if all 3 of them was on the team they wouldn't have gotten the attention that I know Lightning Lass is gonna get.

I do want to know what the team looked like in the early iterations, I mean there was a Superman cover in later solicitations that had Lightning Lad still being white so when did they decide to racebend the character and his sister...

The writing team of Disney +'s WandaVision will be diverse and mostly female.

https://www.themarysue.com/wandavisi...-writers-room/

Meet Leroy Smith, a new character who will be debuting in Tekken 7 season 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Meet Leroy Smith, a new character who will be debuting in Tekken 7 season 3.
    Ha, beat me to it! Very interested with Leroy! I'm glad to see a Wing Chun practitioner in a video game. Digging that he's from NYC and a non-Asian martial arts practitioner as well. The city has always had a significant amount of African-American and Latino Kung Fu practitioners (who, quite honestly are the most devoted to the art). I'm glad to see that get attention.

Still, beating up Law and Lei like that? (Don't mind him beating up Feng. Feng's a bad guy. Actually, pretty cool using the one inch punch on him). Okay, Sifu Smith, you got my guys round one. We'll see what happens round two .
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

They could make a real dope fighting/rpg game based on Kengan Ashura. You could design your own fighter and sponsor, and then they could do something similar to WWE career mode. But the fights would be classic 2D.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Ultimate Member

“How Rooster Teeth Built Meaningful Diversity Into gen:LOCK”

“Canadian Actor Simu Liu on His Groundbreaking Role as Marvel Superhero Shang-Chi”

“Who Is Blade? Mahershala Ali’s MCU Vampire Explained”

“Nickelodeon Gives Series Order to ‘Loud House’ Spinoff ‘Los Casagrandes’”

“Mulan: Disney Aims to Win Over China with Second Take on the Legend”

https://illuminamagazine.wordpress.com/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Ha, beat me to it! Very interested with Leroy! I'm glad to see a Wing Chun practitioner in a video game. Digging that he's from NYC and a non-Asian martial arts practitioner as well. The city has always had a significant amount of African-American and Latino Kung Fu practitioners (who, quite honestly are the most devoted to the art). I'm glad to see that get attention.

Still, beating up Law and Lei like that? (Don't mind him beating up Feng. Feng's a bad guy. Actually, pretty cool using the one inch punch on him). Okay, Sifu Smith, you got my guys round one. We'll see what happens round two .

"This dude made a guy run away in his own ending..."
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 08-05-2019 at 03:29 AM.

Ultimate Member

I put in work learning this character -- glad it didn't go to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    I haven't seen Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood yet but from what I've heard the scene is a flashback and you're supposed to think Brad Pitt's character is lying about his experience with Bruce Lee to make himself look good. But again I haven't seen it yet so I don't know if that's how scene should be interpreted.
    One thing that stuck out in my mind...

If the costume is suggesting that this fight that may or may not have actually happened could have occurred while Lee was playing Kato, the length of his hair seems like it might indicate that something funny is going on.

For folks that have seen the show, Lee's hair was nowhere near as long as that during the show.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 08-05-2019 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Isn't Reagan their hero? I just remember conservatives talking about how much they love him.
    Yes, they love the dude

Boondocks told us long ago though...
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I have no idea what the actual reaction is, as soon as I saw the updated roster on Seth Meyers, I just kind of sighed, I assumed based on past experiences on this forum that people would react negatively to these racebent or more alien-like characters.

I will say that nobody made a fuss over the early character design of Cosmic Boy being racebent as asian ...then again nobody was sure if that was just the art or actually the case. Plus most were too busy complaining about Bendis and the costume designs (which btw Dawnstar is too on the nose and Cosmic Boy in pink/peach ain't working for me), but it was stated in this thread that the reaction wasn't too bad.

I also saw comicbook.com say something about fans speculating that Lightning Lad may be a descendant of Black Lightning so I guess maybe speculation is the thing that's going on versus ranting.

But if people were already doing some variation of 'Not My Legion' over costume designs and the very little we know about this new iteration, I don't think it's farfetched to assume a bad reaction.

And yeah, you're right about the well known and often-used characters on Legion being white and/or white-coded, I like the look of this team, it actually looks like these characters came from different planets instead of white people looking they stepped out of the 70's.

I think you're right to be afraid b/c unfortunately that's gonna happen. The promo image shown of the Legion has the 34 members Bendis said was on the team, so unless that changes in the future, those original characters of color are stuck on the shelf.

I think that was bound to happen with this new iteration, they were either gonna use the diverse characters that already existed or racebend some of the characters and considering how little those original characters of color are acknowledged by fans or DC they decided to racebend. It pains me to lose 3 original black female characters for 1 racebent one but I'm not even gonna front, even if all 3 of them was on the team they wouldn't have gotten the attention that I know Lightning Lass is gonna get.

I do want to know what the team looked like in the early iterations, I mean there was a Superman cover in later solicitations that had Lightning Lad still being white so when did they decide to racebend the character and his sister...
    Computo may have been the original black female super genius.

I'm not sure I want to see this new Light Lass in a potential triangle between Timberwolf & Shrinking Violet (if any old story beats are reused/updated).