Page 275 of 827 FirstFirst ... 175225265271272273274275276277278279285325375775 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,125 of 12391

Look like 'Luke Cage' Mike Coulter and 'Misty Knight' Simone Missick have flipped that Marvel Netflix gigs into starring leads in new CBS shows this fall.

Coulter in EVIL and the so damn fine Missick in All Rise, and I think she's working with the guy who was Bullseye too. #saywhaaa

Unless you count the NFL I feel the last CBS Network show I kept up with real tough was The Flash in 1991 so... good for them.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Evil just isn't grabbing me with their promos, but All Rise is. I enjoy legal procedurals and Mrs. Missick is awesome and beautiful, so I'll definitely be checking it out. From this promo and the other one there doesn't seem to be any spotlight on a "messy" private life (secret affair, bodies in the closet, etc.) that a lot of protagonists these days are saddled with. I'm hoping it's not one of those twist-y legal shows with a twist like How to Get Away with Murder (no shade to that show as I enjoy it, too).

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Look like 'Luke Cage' Mike Coulter and 'Misty Knight' Simone Missick have flipped that Marvel Netflix gigs into starring leads in new CBS shows this fall.

Coulter in EVIL and the so damn fine Missick in All Rise, and I think she's working with the guy who was Bullseye too. #saywhaaa

Unless you count the NFL I feel the last CBS Network show I kept up with real tough was The Flash in 1991 so... good for them.
    She got me like....

So I just saw Nightwolf's ending on Youtube. I wonder if the people who complained about Jax's ending spoilers:
    have an issue with an ending that not only addresses the theft of Native American lands but also suggests Nightwolf will have a female successor.
    end of spoilers

Also, Katsuhiro Harada on Leroy Smith's design.

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/st...19962989973509

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So I just saw Nightwolf's ending on Youtube. I wonder if the people who complained about Jax's ending spoilers:
    have an issue with an ending that not only addresses the theft of Native American lands but also suggests Nightwolf will have a female successor.
    end of spoilers

Also, Katsuhiro Harada on Leroy Smith's design.

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/st...19962989973509
    Wasn't this Nightwolf's predecessor also female?

In the pre fight dialogue between Nightwolf and Shang Tsung, Shang mentions beating her.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Computo may have been the original black female super genius.

I'm not sure I want to see this new Light Lass in a potential triangle between Timberwolf & Shrinking Violet (if any old story beats are reused/updated).
    With the way they look, oh hell no, I hope they switch up storylines for this 32nd century team, and I don't think anybody has anything to worry about, romance/romantic relationships are something Bendis hardly ever focuses on fortunately or unfortunately.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 08-08-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Wasn't this Nightwolf's predecessor also female?

In the pre fight dialogue between Nightwolf and Shang Tsung, Shang mentions beating her.
    Yes, that's right.

Meaning we can add Nightwolf to the list of character with reasons to be pissed at Shang Tsung.

spoilers:
    Though I'm curious about this "Great Spirit" that Nightwolf refers to. Is it Raiden in another form or something else entirely?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-08-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Tommy Lee is hilarious.

Mighty Member

Tommy Lee is hilarious.

Some people on the right probably sincerely believe that already. Don’t really need Tommy Lee to restate whatever “horror movie dystopia scenario” that’s playing in their heads every time a left-leaning political candidate proposes so much as a bathroom reform.

Danny Trejo saved a baby from an overturned car.

https://www.themarysue.com/danny-tre...#disqus_thread

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Tommy Lee is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Some people on the right probably sincerely believe that already. Don’t really need Tommy Lee to restate whatever “horror movie dystopia scenario” that’s playing in their heads every time a left-leaning political candidate proposes so much as a bathroom reform.
    This is a FB meme that Tommy Lee copied that has went around for a couple years . But yeah he is cool to post this and all.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I have no idea what the actual reaction is, as soon as I saw the updated roster on Seth Meyers, I just kind of sighed, I assumed based on past experiences on this forum that people would react negatively to these racebent or more alien-like characters.

I will say that nobody made a fuss over the early character design of Cosmic Boy being racebent as asian ...then again nobody was sure if that was just the art or actually the case. Plus most were too busy complaining about Bendis and the costume designs (which btw Dawnstar is too on the nose and Cosmic Boy in pink/peach ain't working for me), but it was stated in this thread that the reaction wasn't too bad.

I also saw comicbook.com say something about fans speculating that Lightning Lad may be a descendant of Black Lightning so I guess maybe speculation is the thing that's going on versus ranting.

But if people were already doing some variation of 'Not My Legion' over costume designs and the very little we know about this new iteration, I don't think it's farfetched to assume a bad reaction.

And yeah, you're right about the well known and often-used characters on Legion being white and/or white-coded, I like the look of this team, it actually looks like these characters came from different planets instead of white people looking they stepped out of the 70's.
    Frankly, I don't blame you for taking the road of caution. Too many similar situations in the last 10-ish years not to.

From what I can gather, though, after a recent peek into the thread, there is a sense of nitpickyness. Not standard comic-fan nitpickyness (I and surely everyone else is guilty of that in some shape or form). It had tinges of unpleasableness that was decidedly foreboding to me. No sense of "let's appreciate the new take" or "benefit of the doubt." No real level of positivity, optimism or openmindedness.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    I think you're right to be afraid b/c unfortunately that's gonna happen. The promo image shown of the Legion has the 34 members Bendis said was on the team, so unless that changes in the future, those original characters of color are stuck on the shelf.

I think that was bound to happen with this new iteration, they were either gonna use the diverse characters that already existed or racebend some of the characters and considering how little those original characters of color are acknowledged by fans or DC they decided to racebend. It pains me to lose 3 original black female characters for 1 racebent one but I'm not even gonna front, even if all 3 of them was on the team they wouldn't have gotten the attention that I know Lightning Lass is gonna get.
    I'm not super familiar with the Legion in specific. Just in general. (I recall enjoying the cartoon that aired on KidsWB back in the day, and Dawnstar and Karate Kid in Justice League: Trapped in Time were both awesome.) So with that in mind, while I truly understand the sentiment of losing Legionaries of color, for the foreseeable future, I also understand the point made here. Quite bluntly, the clout someone like Lighting Lad and Lightning Lass (and Cosmic Boy, if he really is Asian-coded now) have makes the decision worth it. It'll be much harder to ignore or drift those characters then it would be the originally created characters of color who are otherwise entirely obscure and largely unacknowledged.

An article on fandom racism towards the race bent versions Smallville's Pete Ross and Supergirl's James Olsen.

This part in particular caught my attention because I didn't interact with the Smallville fandom back when the show was airing.

In Smallville alone, biracial Chinese-American Kristen Kreuk was cast to play a racebent version of Clark Kent’s teenaged sweetheart Lana Lang. (And Dean Cain’s Clark Kent on The Adventures of Clark Kent and Lois Lane in the early Nineties was visibly not white.)

However, the fandom’s response to this newly Black Pete Ross was… different.

When folks in fandom deigned to write him, they wrote him as a shucking and jiving stereotype, an approximation of what they think Black men were like In 2002.

Back then, longtime fan writer teland aired one hell of a grievance about the way that folks in the Smallville fandom insisted on writing Pete Ross when the series first aired, writing that:

If I *never* see another story where Pete fucking ROSS goes around speaking stereotypical JIVE again it will be too soon. What the **** is *wrong* with you people? Do you *watch* the show? Has Pete *ever* been anything but a normal smartass teenaged boy with a crush on Chloe and a lust for every other woman his eyes have lit upon? Has he *ever* expressed an interest in the poetry of Amiri Baraka? Does he cruise the streets of Smallville in his low-rider and do drive-bys with his do-rag arranged in Criply perfection?

No?

Then why the ****** do you write him that way, numbnuts?

https://stitchmediamix.com/2019/07/2...pete-ross-2-0/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Frankly, I don't blame you for taking the road of caution. Too many similar situations in the last 10-ish years not to.

From what I can gather, though, after a recent peek into the thread, there is a sense of nitpickyness. Not standard comic-fan nitpickyness (I and surely everyone else is guilty of that in some shape or form). It had tinges of unpleasableness that was decidedly foreboding to me. No sense of "let's appreciate the new take" or "benefit of the doubt." No real level of positivity, optimism or openmindedness.

I'm not super familiar with the Legion in specific. Just in general. (I recall enjoying the cartoon that aired on KidsWB back in the day, and Dawnstar and Karate Kid in Justice League: Trapped in Time were both awesome.) So with that in mind, while I truly understand the sentiment of losing Legionaries of color, for the foreseeable future, I also understand the point made here. Quite bluntly, the clout someone like Lighting Lad and Lightning Lass (and Cosmic Boy, if he really is Asian-coded now) have makes the decision worth it. It'll be much harder to ignore or drift those characters then it would be the originally created characters of color who are otherwise entirely obscure and largely unacknowledged.
    The Legion Of Super Heroes series has never been a bastion of progressiveness.

Ferro Lad and Shadow Lass were supposed to have been Black until Mort Weisenger allegedly told Jim Shooter that doing that would make stores in the South refuse to sell the title.

But at this point when we have already Black legionnaires like Tyroc, Invisible Kid (Foccart), Computo, Quantum Queen, Quantum Kid and Catspaw, Asian Legionnares like Karate Kids 1 and 2 and Dragon Mage do we really NEED any racebent Legionnaires?

What's wrong with using what is already there?