Page 276 of 827 FirstFirst ... 176226266272273274275276277278279280286326376776 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,140 of 12391
    Astonishing Member

First Tekken (which is IMO been the best representation for diversity in fighter games, even better than MK) and now Guilty Gear,

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Frankly, I don't blame you for taking the road of caution. Too many similar situations in the last 10-ish years not to.

From what I can gather, though, after a recent peek into the thread, there is a sense of nitpickyness. Not standard comic-fan nitpickyness (I and surely everyone else is guilty of that in some shape or form). It had tinges of unpleasableness that was decidedly foreboding to me. No sense of "let's appreciate the new take" or "benefit of the doubt." No real level of positivity, optimism or openmindedness.

I'm not super familiar with the Legion in specific. Just in general. (I recall enjoying the cartoon that aired on KidsWB back in the day, and Dawnstar and Karate Kid in Justice League: Trapped in Time were both awesome.) So with that in mind, while I truly understand the sentiment of losing Legionaries of color, for the foreseeable future, I also understand the point made here. Quite bluntly, the clout someone like Lighting Lad and Lightning Lass (and Cosmic Boy, if he really is Asian-coded now) have makes the decision worth it. It'll be much harder to ignore or drift those characters then it would be the originally created characters of color who are otherwise entirely obscure and largely unacknowledged.
    I admit that I'm part of the nit-pickyness. For myself it has nothing to do with the race-swapping or the costumes, except for Dawnstar looking like Pocahontas in space. It more or less has to do with Bendis himself. His guardians run was really bad, his xmen run was worse, which is why I'm apprehensive about his take, sure he seems excited, and he's gotten a lot of positive responses since starting at DC, but I still expect him to drop the ball eventually. If it were Hickman or James Roberts instead of Bendis, and the race-swapping was still there, the response would be way more positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    The Legion Of Super Heroes series has never been a bastion of progressiveness.

Ferro Lad and Shadow Lass were supposed to have been Black until Mort Weisenger allegedly told Jim Shooter that doing that would make stores in the South refuse to sell the title.

But at this point when we have already Black legionnaires like Tyroc, Invisible Kid (Foccart), Computo, Quantum Queen, Quantum Kid and Catspaw, Asian Legionnares like Karate Kids 1 and 2 and Dragon Mage do we really NEED any racebent Legionnaires?

What's wrong with using what is already there?
    This legion team is supposed to be 34 people, maybe Bendis will include them.

Ferro Lad and Shadow Lass were supposed to have been Black until Mort Weisenger allegedly told Jim Shooter that doing that would make stores in the South refuse to sell the title.

But at this point when we have already Black legionnaires like Tyroc, Invisible Kid (Foccart), Computo, Quantum Queen, Quantum Kid and Catspaw, Asian Legionnares like Karate Kids 1 and 2 and Dragon Mage do we really NEED any racebent Legionnaires?

I knew about Ferro Lad but Shadow Lass was supposed to be black? Any links to that please?

Though that might have been a bit on the nose.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-12-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I knew about Ferro Lad but Shadow Lass was supposed to be black? Any links to that please?

Though that might have been a bit on the nose.
    Try this:

http://malpertuis.soup.io/post/74715...was-created-by

edited post.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-13-2019 at 04:07 AM.

Thanks.

However, Vincent and Rickford had a much different origin in mind for Shadow Lass. She was intended to be black, from an all-black planet colonized from black people from Earth who left Earth due to racial strife.

Weisinger thought that the idea was way too controversial, but he said he liked the character and would try to work her in in a different fashion.
    Wait, wasn't this the origin they used for Tyroc? What happened later that made them change their minds?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-13-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I did not know that about Shadow Lass.

It would be PFU if all those Legion members get shunted into limbo.

I just watched the trailer for Dolemite Is My Name. I'm pretty excited for it, I think it looks great.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I just watched the trailer for Dolemite Is My Name. I'm pretty excited for it, I think it looks great.
    Yea it looks dope. I know Murphy is gonna crush, honestly I'm in this for a higher % wanting to see Wesley Snipes than Eddie. It's bout 65/35.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Yeah looks hilarious. And touching, which isn't easy to do.

All-New Member

hey I know it isn't related to the thread but, could some one recommend some great comics to read? i'm just starting my journey.

Danny Trejo saved a baby from an overturned car.

https://www.themarysue.com/danny-tre...#disqus_thread
    he works with special-needs children so he was able to connect with the little boy and keep him calm .....
    Love that to calm him, he invoked superpowers!
    He was panicked. I said 'OK, we have to use our superpowers.' So he screamed 'superpowers' and we started yelling 'superpowers,'"
    Great sentiment.
    “Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else,” Trejo told CNN affiliate KABC. “Everything.”

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Danny Trejo saved a baby from an overturned car.

https://www.themarysue.com/danny-tre...#disqus_thread
    he works with special-needs children so he was able to connect with the little boy and keep him calm .....
    Love that to calm him, he invoked superpowers!
    He was panicked. I said 'OK, we have to use our superpowers.' So he screamed 'superpowers' and we started yelling 'superpowers,'"
    Great sentiment.
    “Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else,” Trejo told CNN affiliate KABC. “Everything.”
    Also with that, I'd like to ask. Are there yet any ongoing main stream (Marvel or DC) titles either solo or on a team, with a regular, strong, positive, adult, male latino/hispanic hero?
    Yes adult, male, in bold specific, cause I can't remember seeing this. Usually if any it defaults to either a young woman or young kid) where the mother is vaguely Latino, and the father (if adult male Latino) he is absentee, and never a hero)
    Also preferably not a cliche involved with, or ex drug dealer or gang member, which seems to be another go to trope?
    Just wondering, appearing regularly in a book.
    Since Latino Americans are the largest ethnic minority, how well they are represented.
    Like someone who hangs with JLA or Avengers, Defenders, or recognized as a regular positive recurring member on any prominent team?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-14-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Also with that, I'd like to ask. Are there yet any ongoing main stream titles either solo or on a team, with a regular, strong, positive, adult, male latino/hispanic hero.
    Yes adult, male, in bold specific, cause I can't remember seeing this. Usually if any it defaults to either either a girl or young kid.
    Also preferably not an ex drug dealer or gang member member, which seems to be another go to trope?
    Just wondering, appearing regularly in a book.
    Like who hangs regularly with JLA or Avengers or any other prominent team.

Thanks!

When I was fancying myself as a freelance writer, gig here, gig there, screenplays was always the end goal and I wrote a partial treatment of a story- 20 years ago with Danny Trejo as my lead. It was a boardroom drama in fictionalized US (I was going for a Don McGregor lite version of things). When someone says that the only real times they see minorities is on TV, well **** that goes for some minorities too unfortunately. Dude has a HUGE black following, no shade at all he's our Ricky Ricardo for lack of a better reference. Antonio Bandaras was cool but he was too fly. Trejo in a suit, in a boardroom as a boss was something I would have bought into that I would have never seen outside of a telanovela. So long answer, no in TV or movies and hell no in a comic book.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Extraordinary Member

Thanks.

Wait, wasn't this the origin they used for Tyroc? What happened later that made them change their minds?
    In the 60's the Editors were mainly worried about pissing off Newspaper vendors Down South.

In the 1907's the DC Editor wanted to copy Marvel who already had came out with Storm in '75 and Blaxplotation movies were big at the time so they felt safer copying timely popular culture.