Page 277 of 824 FirstFirst ... 177227267273274275276277278279280281287327377777 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,155 of 12354

Hakusensha Contest Seeks Manga Starring African Hero

Japanese publisher Hakusensha's Manga Lab blog for aspiring manga creators is holding two contests for overseas artists. The publisher is accepting applications for “African Sci-Fi Hero Manga Creators” and “Shonen Manga Coliseum” contests.
    The African Sci-Fi Hero Manga Contest is recruiting artists for a story that will center on an African hero. Submissions should be based on Hakusensha's tentatively titled READ manga by Rene Hoshino, a manga creator who raised in both Japan and Cameroon. The winner's work will be serialized on both the Manga Park and Manga Park W app, which launched in Africa earlier this year. Manga Park W has been downloaded over 200,000 times by users in Kenya and Nigeria with plans to expand it to more African countries soon.
    https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...n-hero/.150082

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    The Legion Of Super Heroes series has never been a bastion of progressiveness.

Ferro Lad and Shadow Lass were supposed to have been Black until Mort Weisenger allegedly told Jim Shooter that doing that would make stores in the South refuse to sell the title.

But at this point when we have already Black legionnaires like Tyroc, Invisible Kid (Foccart), Computo, Quantum Queen, Quantum Kid and Catspaw, Asian Legionnares like Karate Kids 1 and 2 and Dragon Mage do we really NEED any racebent Legionnaires?

What's wrong with using what is already there?
    Let's look at the new 34 members now:

(I think the one that was named Sensor Girl was shown to be Princess Projectra).

Catspaw is there but is now gender-bent and more alien looking, and Invisible Kid is there but probably doesn't have a visible form so I guess they no longer have an identifiable race.

If we are to use Legion Appreciation thread as a pool, all the characters you mentioned, not one of them is fondly looked upon or reminisced about in that thread, a couple of times people bring them up but it's dismissed or there are a couple of replies but all that thread talks about are the same stories, the same writers/artists, and the same characters.

Is the thread just an echo chamber or do people just not give a crap about those characters (who just all happen to be poc).

If that thread is a pool of what Legion fans think, this is why we have racebent characters now.

I know what people are thinking 'why not just invest time in them' and I agree but I'm also well aware of the fact that it most likely wouldn't help, the coversations would never center around them outside of this thread; maybe if those characters were used more in the past they would be one of the favorites in the present but right now they're not even in the top 20 legion characters mentioned on this forum and outside of it.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 08-17-2019 at 01:19 AM.

Bruce Lee/Tarantino thing is funny

People who actually knew Lee as friends or family- "wth this is disrespectful as hell"

Tarantino who read about him- "no no its ok!"

Tarantino stans: "you are being sensitive, here are 100 excuses that Tarantino himself didn't but this is what he meant!"

I don't care either way, don't lik eTarantino, this weird and the same a thte same time though
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Mortal Kombat has cast it's Jax, Raiden and Mileena actors.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08...ax-and-mileena

Cannon Busters season one is out now on Netflix. Created by Lesean Thomas (I still have the first issue of the comic buried somewhere in the archives) who was also involved with the Boondocks animated series.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Also with that, I'd like to ask. Are there yet any ongoing main stream (Marvel or DC) titles either solo or on a team, with a regular, strong, positive, adult, male latino/hispanic hero?
    Yes adult, male, in bold specific, cause I can't remember seeing this. Usually if any it defaults to either a young woman or young kid) where the mother is vaguely Latino, and the father (if adult male Latino) he is absentee, and never a hero)
    Also preferably not a cliche involved with, or ex drug dealer or gang member, which seems to be another go to trope?
    Just wondering, appearing regularly in a book.
    Since Latino Americans are the largest ethnic minority, how well they are represented.
    Like someone who hangs with JLA or Avengers, Defenders, or recognized as a regular positive recurring member on any prominent team?

Thanks!
    Sunspot in the upcoming New Mutants comic....
    Ghost Rider in Avengers

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    The Legion Of Super Heroes series has never been a bastion of progressiveness.

Ferro Lad and Shadow Lass were supposed to have been Black until Mort Weisenger allegedly told Jim Shooter that doing that would make stores in the South refuse to sell the title.

But at this point when we have already Black legionnaires like Tyroc, Invisible Kid (Foccart), Computo, Quantum Queen, Quantum Kid and Catspaw, Asian Legionnares like Karate Kids 1 and 2 and Dragon Mage do we really NEED any racebent Legionnaires?

What's wrong with using what is already there?
    Because if you look at at some of those stories with those POC-they tend to not be the best of the best in story telling at times.

Or no one can remember anything that they have done aside form dying in the case of Quantum Kid (male version) and most of Foccart's shift as President was wiped out or is no longer cannon.

Quantum Kid (male version) did nothing until he died (I own those few issue he appeared in).

Wait, wasn't this the origin they used for Tyroc? What happened later that made them change their minds?
    Yes it was the same story for him.

Racebenting MAKES them include a POC instead of whoever is already around or make a new person with ZERO history.

See Pete Ross on Smallville. Other than Ron the black guy Lana married and had a kid by before New 52 wouldn't show up in Smallville. John Henry Irons nor his family was around. Keith Roberts White (Perry White's no NONEXISTENCE son) wasn't born yet.

Same issue with Supergirl-black males were MIA in her universe too. Although her New 52 book and current book had her INTERESTED in black males. New 52 had a black guy in wheelchair and Rebirth had one-who somehow ended up in Titans and flirting with Natasha Irons.

See Hasbro's MASK-what did Hondo do on that show? Thus you get a black Matt Tracker.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post

Cannon Busters season one is out now on Netflix. Created by Lesean Thomas (I still have the first issue of the comic buried somewhere in the archives) who was also involved with the Boondocks animated series.
    just started watching episode 1. Gotta give my hats off to Netflix on this one
    The J-man

Whoever posted the YouTube clip of new anime CannonBusters THANKS!! had to chill with my 10 year old nephew this past weekend and we both enjoyed it!!!

EDIT:
    YEAH props to this post
    Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post

Last edited by BroHomo; 08-21-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Bruce Lee/Tarantino thing is funny

People who actually knew Lee as friends or family- "wth this is disrespectful as hell"

Tarantino who read about him- "no no its ok!"

Tarantino stans: "you are being sensitive, here are 100 excuses that Tarantino himself didn't but this is what he meant!"

I don't care either way, don't lik eTarantino, this weird and the same a thte same time though
    I read something from Kareem Abdul-Jabbar that basically put that Lee was a huge advocate or Asian people being taken more seriously in film and Tarantino's pretty much sent the message that what ever you do the "white man" is still better than you.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Extraordinary Member

Sometimes I forget the connection between Kareem & Bruce.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    I read something from Kareem Abdul-Jabbar that basically put that Lee was a huge advocate or Asian people being taken more seriously in film and Tarantino's pretty much sent the message that what ever you do the "white man" is still better than you.
    Not making excuses for Tarantino but there is a lot of racism in martial arts films/anime. Black ppl are usually served up as fodder to the good guys or bad guys. It's kinda ridiculous really.

When the story first broke my first instinct was to take up for Tanrantino on the grounds that it was clearly a satirical take. What he responded with though was pretty tone-deaf, as he did not defend it in the sense of satire, he defended it as if he actually knew something about the real man better than his own daughter and friends.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Not making excuses for Tarantino but there is a lot of racism in martial arts films/anime. Black ppl are usually served up as fodder to the good guys or bad guys. It's kinda ridiculous really.
    Did you hear about the time Tarantino met McDuffie.

Lets just say the N word got used a LOT towards McDuffie in a "friendly" way.

Charlotte talked about it on Twitter but it seems most folks already knew about it before his death.

Interesting the excuse Tarantino used was someone else let him say it. That person in question was the guy McDuffie was suppose to meet about a script when he died.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    I'm not comfortable with proclaiming 'I'm a fan of Tarantino's', at the same time I've seen most of his movies so I'm not defending him but I feel that might could be, a slight extrapolation of a message.

The ice cream scene in John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13, of which whom I am actually a fan of, the little Disney girl gets shot at the ice cream truck. He's since talked about that scene saying, looking back he wouldn't have done that in that way in that film. He was young and brash and yadda, yadda, not likely a regret on his part... I don't get that Tarantino might ever feel that way, about much at all in his films. Early on when I was more of a fan of his work, his rationale over a certain exchange in Pulp Fiction was that he felt he could take away the power of the N bomb by it's repeated usage... In his movie(s), as if. That's a wholeheartedly self-centered approach and really kind of foolish for a grown man to feel.

That said that I can't say any of his characters he's written about and filmed hold any kind of racial superiority angle and it not be a punchline? Again, there are a couple of his movies I've never seen. I can't say I've ever felt he's actually changed any social narratives unless you count it as HE being successful in this approach as the proposed narrative. Martin Scorsese finds a way for an N word in all his movies outside of Gangs of New York and the newest one about the Church, and he never uses black folks but for that line ever so hey, 1 for Tarantino, I guess?

Dude is notorious for filming more wild **** that gets released in the final product. Sam Jackson has said such when they were filming Django. I have no reason to doubt that, as it was reported, Brad Pitt had to talk Tarantino of making more of a clown of Lee that what got finished.

Then too look at who we're talking about right, Tarantino always had a slimy element to him personally don't he? This was before his long term business partner in Weinstein got revealed to be a wild sexual predator. He can deflect and wait it out all he want's but I'd be a fool to think THEM TWO, didn't have the debase time of their lives before it got out about one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Did you hear about the time Tarantino met McDuffie.
    Interesting.
    Last edited by Surf; 08-26-2019 at 06:32 AM.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.