Page 279 of 827 FirstFirst ... 179229269275276277278279280281282283289329379779 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,185 of 12392
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Yeah I'm not a fan. Nothing I can do about it though, except not do it myself. Not to say I've never said the word or will never say it again but I definitely don't call myself, my friends or other black people in general that word on the regular. And the "*igga" has a different meaning than "*igger" line some people use I always found silly as hell. It's like saying "gonna" and "going to" don't mean the same thing.
    Yeah, it's not like I can control what people say after all, which isn't my intention to begin with. I suppose all I can really say is that people should be responsible in regards to what they say and should be prepared for any results that may come for saying what they said, especially if they say certain things repeatedly, for better or worse.

As a white British guy afaik the "Friendly" usage of N*gger is/was an attempt to "Take it back" which hasn't been 100% sucsessful. I'm not too comfortable in using it either way, even with the few black friends I have.

As a black man (not African American. I don’t come from there or have any family there. I’m an American, period.), I don’t use the word, nor allow other black ppl to call me that, even in a “friendly” manner.
    I am also no one’s “brother”, nor are all women bitches and/or ho’s.

These opinions have never made me popular among other black ppl, but, I’ve never actually cared.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    As a black man (not African American. I don’t come from there or have any family there. I’m an American, period.), I don’t use the word, nor allow other black ppl to call me that, even in a “friendly” manner.
    I am also no one’s “brother”, nor are all women bitches and/or ho’s.

These opinions have never made me popular among other black ppl, but, I’ve never actually cared.
    Associating "brother" with "n****r" and "bitches & hoes" is a pretty strange take.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Maybe.
    In my experience, i’ve Most often been called brother by guys I wouldn’t trust as far as I can throw them/guys who are looking to get something from me/who are trying to use the fact that we're both black to have me help them out in some undeserved fashion (as in, help a brother out).
    I don’t go for that.
    As for women not being bitches and ho’s well, they’re not, until proven otherwise.
    And the infamous n word? Well, I don’t want to be called anything derogatory, by anyone.

i'm not sure that i could use the term n*gger in a friendly context. it just feels wrong. but the word itself doesn't make me feel anything. i just think it's a awkward word to be using if you want to denote brotherhood. plus, i don't normally drop the 'r' from words that end in one. i blame my midwest upbringing. my cousins are all southerners and make fun of me for it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Yeah I'm not a fan. Nothing I can do about it though, except not do it myself. Not to say I've never said the word or will never say it again but I definitely don't call myself, my friends or other black people in general that word on the regular. And the "*igga" has a different meaning than "*igger" line some people use I always found silly as hell. It's like saying "gonna" and "going to" don't mean the same thing.
    Yeah same, I've never said the word due to the history behind it. I've never told others they couldn't say the word, I just asked them (black or otherwise) to not call me the term.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Yeah same, I've never said the word due to the history behind it. I've never told others they couldn't say the word, I just asked them (black or otherwise) to not call me the term.
    That’s the best thing to do.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    An article on fandom racism towards the race bent versions Smallville's Pete Ross and Supergirl's James Olsen.

This part in particular caught my attention because I didn't interact with the Smallville fandom back when the show was airing.

https://stitchmediamix.com/2019/07/2...pete-ross-2-0/
    Holy crumb, I did not even realize that was a thing that happened to Pete Ross in the Smallville fanfiction community.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    The Legion Of Super Heroes series has never been a bastion of progressiveness.

Ferro Lad and Shadow Lass were supposed to have been Black until Mort Weisenger allegedly told Jim Shooter that doing that would make stores in the South refuse to sell the title.

But at this point when we have already Black legionnaires like Tyroc, Invisible Kid (Foccart), Computo, Quantum Queen, Quantum Kid and Catspaw, Asian Legionnares like Karate Kids 1 and 2 and Dragon Mage do we really NEED any racebent Legionnaires?

What's wrong with using what is already there?
    It doesn't surprise me that tLoSH isn't. Sad, but not surprising at this point in my life.

To your other point, though, while it would be nice in theory, it isn't that simple in practice, because in practice, the mainstays that get the most and the majority of the love, focus, and agency in LoSH stories are the white-coded characters, of which there are plenty.

Also, from the little I am aware of regarding the LoSH, the Karate Kids, aside from the one in Justice League: Trapped in Time who was unambiguously Japanese/Japanese-coded from the movie's start to its finish, are their own can of worms...

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I admit that I'm part of the nit-pickyness. For myself it has nothing to do with the race-swapping or the costumes, except for Dawnstar looking like Pocahontas in space. It more or less has to do with Bendis himself. His guardians run was really bad, his xmen run was worse, which is why I'm apprehensive about his take, sure he seems excited, and he's gotten a lot of positive responses since starting at DC, but I still expect him to drop the ball eventually. If it were Hickman or James Roberts instead of Bendis, and the race-swapping was still there, the response would be way more positive.
    Well, I dunno. Brian Bendis and also "Bendis Disdain" and the more sharper (and oft uglier) "Bendis Hate" doesn't help the the positive outlook of things, including what can be gained from the racebending of the white-coded mainstays among the Legionaries. Everyone has their opinion on writers and I do understand how polarizing Bendis can be. (For my part, of the things he's done and had a hand in that I know of and have read/watched, I appreciate and love Miles and Riri, and intend to binge through Naomi and Young Justice as soon as I get the absolute free time to do so. Anything else, and I admit to not worrying about, and overall I have a positive image of Bendis as a writer.) But all that said, it still does not help with the foreboding dark foreshadowing of things to come from that fandom (which will likely bleed out).

I know this pessimism is contrary to my hope, desire, and want of optimism with the new LoSH relaunch. But so much burn and darkness I have had to sit and wade through. Much of which I never even realized that I was and had been sitting and wading through it. It's hard not to feel a certain kind of way.

Speaking of which, I'm inclined to ask all of you here: How lenient are you guys regarding gender/race swaps of comic book characters in movies/TV shows? After hearing discussions regarding the casting for Eternals, I felt it was worth asking.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    More examples of gamers being trash people.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/26/20...nt-controversy

Note that the people complaining about Homophobia are the "Hate Mob" according to these guys.

I also wonder if nerds understand the difference between editing and censorship.
    Unlikely. It is likewise improbable that a number in fandoms are able to distinguish, acknowledge, and/or except the reality that censoring and transliteration is not the same thing, nor is the latter intrinsically linked (or just related in general) to the former.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Speaking of which, I'm inclined to ask all of you here: How lenient are you guys regarding gender/race swaps of comic book characters in movies/TV shows? After hearing discussions regarding the casting for Eternals, I felt it was worth asking.
    Depends on context. In general (though a bit of a generalization), White to PoC I'm usually okay with, if not outright in appreciation for. PoC to White, however, is always some form of a negative feeling.

Note: This is more in regards to race/ethnicity. Have to think more on gender.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 08-28-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Depends on context. In general (though a bit of a generalization), White to PoC I'm usually okay with, if not outright in appreciation for. PoC to White, however, is always some form of a negative feeling.

Note: This is more in regards to race/ethnicity. Have to think more on gender.
    Perhaps it really comes into play when the original gender/race is crucial to their backstory. Whereas one could make the solid argument race of the actor is integral if we're talking about characters like Black Panther, considering the African culture, I suppose there wouldn't be as much anger towards a character like Cecilia Reyes getting played by a white actor from that perspective. As long as they get the best actor for the job, with the character's background considered, then I suppose it all works out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Perhaps it really comes into play when the original gender/race is crucial to their backstory. Whereas one could make the solid argument race of the actor is integral if we're talking about characters like Black Panther, considering the African culture, I suppose there wouldn't be as much anger towards a character like Cecilia Reyes getting played by a white actor from that perspective. As long as they get the best actor for the job, with the character's background considered, then I suppose it all works out in the end.
    Almost Every character that isn't white has a racial element to their story. And often (in the X-World) black characters don't stay black... Having a white actor portray one just adds more fuel to that erasure CeCe Reyes doesn't have much backstory but I got the Zero Tolerance TPB for Easter lol and that was her first appearance she grew up in the not so White Bronx her dad was gunned down in front of her, she couldn't help him which made her work hard to become a Dr. She refused an invite to join the Xmen keeping her mutancy a secret. Eventually Iceman basically kidnaps her to get a bomb outta Cylops (I think one of Maggots slugs ate it lol ) and agsin she refused to join telling Beast (?) As a black Puerto Rican Woman in a field dominated by white men she's earned and wants to keep her place in the medical World. It's only when helping pyro with his legacy virus that she's outed at work as a Mutant and i think is fired.
    And yet Reyes whos a Black Puerto Rican from the Bronx who rocked cornrows is getting played by Alice Braga a white Brazilian in the upcoming New Mutants movie. It won't be long before her next appearance in the X-Men she's getting a tan adding brown streaks to her blonde hair
    GrindrStone(D)