Page 283 of 828 FirstFirst ... 183233273279280281282283284285286287293333383783 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,245 of 12408

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I was about to make that point too.

The funnier one is people getting up in arms about mythical characters non-human characters getting cast with black actors. Ariel and Starfire aren’t even human in the traditional sense so I still don’t get the controversy over them.
    I think Ginger Genocide was meant As A joke
    GrindrStone(D)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    For some yes but some people are taking it very serious. I actually saw a video with a girl saying that Disney is changing science because Ariel is from under the sea and because of that can only have "pale" skin. Thankfully, lots of people pointed out to this clueless girl that Mermaids are pretty much a global thing and aren't at all restricted to one culture or race.

Until fairly recently, I didn't realise just how many racists were out there.

There is a whole slew of them that don't reveal themselves until something directly "affects" (and using that loosely) them.

They are allies until they are inconvenienced .00000001%. then the "yeah buts" start. Basically the entire poplution of white reddit "liberals" lol

Ariel isn't even a "ginger." Her hair is literally freaking stop sign red because it is about fantasy half fish people for Bast sake
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

No some of those folks are SERIOUS.

Especially when they see redheads get replaced by BLACK folks.

Not to mention some of the stuff that has TRIED to happen at some schools. Ever heard of "punch a Ginger Day"? It was not high school kids doing it-it was ELEMENTARY kids plotting it and would have not gotten caught if they did use facebook.

You got folks who will use Anything to rile folks up. Especially the factions who don't need "proof" to attack someone.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

For some yes but some people are taking it very serious. I actually saw a video with a girl saying that Disney is changing science because Ariel is from under the sea and because of that can only have "pale" skin. Thankfully, lots of people pointed out to this clueless girl that Mermaids are pretty much a global thing and aren't at all restricted to one culture or race.

I mean, it's not wrong to simply point out the science regarding melanin, and possible to point this out without demanding cultures be restricted, but yeah, mermaids are fiction, that said. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I mean, it's not wrong to simply point out the science regarding melanin, and possible to point this out without demanding cultures be restricted, but yeah, mermaids are fiction, that said. lol
    Science? When have people cared about science I mean this guy is middle eastern

Remember the movie about Egypt star these guys

What about the Exodus movie with this guy

Just as note I am not attacking your post, It is just people seem to only care about the "the science" when it is Mermaids and Kryptonians.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    What about the Exodus movie with this guy

Just as note I am not attacking your post, It is just people seem to only care about the "the science" when it is Mermaids and Kryptonians.
    That's alright, so long as you're being thoughtful and civil with your posts. lol

As for the Exodus movies, yeah, I recall people pointing out the science of white-skinned people in Egyptian-esque settings being wrong. But then again, this is Hollywood we're talking about, which is a system that tends to prioritize big name stars and money over ethics and facts, at least in times where it feels it can get away with it.

On a related note, this type of thing arguably goes all the way back to Shakespeare's works as well, not just on stage, but later on, when his Othello play had film adaptations, they at times involved cases where the actor playing the title character "blacks up," which can't quite be called anything else more accurately than blackface (though a black mask would be used in other cases I recall), and lead to big name actors such as Orson Welles playing Othello, even though Orson Welles was born white.

Last edited by Electricmastro; 09-03-2019 at 01:28 AM.

We lived 45 min from a sundown town I'd scare my lil brother at night by telling him I was gonna drop him off there after dark...
    Hate to be the type brotha that be bringin' up old **** but damn, A sundown town... What's worse, the concept or the understanding. Is there a group of people anywhere, that are STILL impacted by such blatant threats of centuries old domestic terror? I think when you live in any type of city you can loose sight of how much space there is in rural America. Ever since BroHomo put that out I been thinkin', when do you learn that concept and when does it become real for real? Pre-teen, younger? We've all got accounts. Indiana is a far cry from the deep, deep South but straight up we're only a couple years shy of 100 years ago having a city Mayor with serious Klan ties and wouldn't have gotten that far had it not been for those ties. Sundown town's are still a thing in 2019.

This is why I don't condemn certain parts or perceptions about issues within a/the hood. 7/10ths of, North, America still behaves in a range from less than favorably to overt threats of violence towards Black folks and it used to be worse. There's a part of an old Chris Rock joke I recall a lot- 'Black people are only like in ten places". That's way truer than it should be and it's for cause. How much better would rural America be if more of us were there? For one they might not have fell for this current administrations okie-doke as bad as they have. We can see a con coming from way further away. When I was younger I used to feel that if white folks just treated black folks like other white folks we could make some strides. Until I realized that they treat each other on a macro level so much worse for political and economic gains that the concession of it wouldn't be much better than what you got now.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Hate to be the type brotha that be bringin' up old **** but damn, A sundown town... What's worse, the concept or the understanding. Is there a group of people anywhere, that are STILL impacted by such blatant threats of centuries old domestic terror? I think when you live in any type of city you can loose sight of how much space there is in rural America. Ever since BroHomo put that out I been thinkin', when do you learn that concept and when does it become real for real? Pre-teen, younger? We've all got accounts. Indiana is a far cry from the deep, deep South but straight up we're only a couple years shy of 100 years ago having a city Mayor with serious Klan ties and wouldn't have gotten that far had it not been for those ties. Sundown town's are still a thing in 2019.

This is why I don't condemn certain parts or perceptions about issues within a/the hood. 7/10ths of, North, America still behaves in a range from less than favorably to overt threats of violence towards Black folks and it used to be worse. There's a part of an old Chris Rock joke I recall a lot- 'Black people are only like in ten places". That's way truer than it should be and it's for cause. How much better would rural America be if more of us were there? For one they might not have fell for this current administrations okie-doke as bad as they have. We can see a con coming from way further away. When I was younger I used to feel that if white folks just treated black folks like other white folks we could make some strides. Until I realized that they treat each other on a macro level so much worse for political and economic gains that the concession of it wouldn't be much better than what you got now.
    There are places in Illinois I definitely won't #### with now. Pekin, for sure. Southern Illinois in general I'm straight on visiting.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Speaking of Sundown Towns have you guys read Lovecraft Country?

There are chapters that deals with both Sundown Towns and the burning of Tulsa in the context of cosmic horror.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

The fictional antagonistic building one could deride from actual American history is dense to say the least.

I feel that is one reason why historically, minority fiction isn't as widely accepted buy black folks as producers or consumers more than it is. It can be a whole lot when you're still dealing with the non-fiction results of situations past and present.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

So we might be getting a black Batman next year.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09...-black-batman/

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post

The part of Iowa I grew up in was a sundown town, I didn't realize it until I was an adult, but now it makes a lot of sense, The more affluent side looks like a Norman Rockwell painting, especially during this time of year, the side I grew up on was full of empty lots and run down dilapidated houses. Growing up it felt like the town was stuck in the 70's, there was a huge economic gap. I once wrote a paper with an electric typewriter. I graduated high school in '06 and I didn't know how to use email. When I went to college I was embarrassed by how tech savvy everyone else was.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 09-03-2019 at 08:35 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So we might be getting a black Batman next year.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09...-black-batman/
    The fits are being thrown.

Color before character comments are coming out now.

Lead by folks who don’t read books with us as the leafs.

I have asked for a list of books that have character yelling about what race they are every page. I doubt I will get that listing.

I've always thought a black Bruce Wayne was feasible. People whine about the old money stuff but its fairly easy to work around.

Gothams always been a hell hole right ? Well how many freemen and escaped slaves would go to such a place to avoid being re-enslaved ? A fair amount. Its easy enough then for a gold rush to happen and a family to come out ludicrously rich. 4 to 5 generations later and you have Bruce Wayne.