Page 285 of 827 FirstFirst ... 185235275281282283284285286287288289295335385785 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,275 of 12392
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    How? Because I don't get it lol.

Somehow a character in Suicide Squad, who was basically a male gaze character, ended up being a popular female anti hero?

Is it just the "bad girl" aspect or what?

I'd say it's a huge portion of her success, yeah. She's arguably the first major female character to have that "I don't give an f" attitude and "I'll do what I want." She embraces her sexuality which a lot of women desire but constantly get hound upon by society. She also came from a messed up background (being manipulated by the joker) to making something from herself which I'm presuming some women can relate to. We don't realize how linear a lot of ladies personalities are in super heroine comics. There's no where near the amount of variety as there are in men. While my favorite personality type is the nice guy/girl boy scout type character, when that's your entire selection you're bound to deal with saturation lol.
    Last edited by leo619; 09-05-2019 at 08:19 AM.

Bird of Prey just ain't my jam

It's wild how Harley went from psychopathic side kick on an animated show to... female icon?

Does she still sell comics too?
    Seconded. Hate to be pull-list comic enforcer by way of personal opinion guy but here we are. Arrow was about as close as I'll get to rockin' with not quite Bat anything on TV.

My little girls ADORE Superhero girls on YouTube. I make a note to tell them flat out- she's a bad 'guy' and not to put up with any little girls who act like that. Thanks to our corporate overlords she's delegated to comedic relief, in a cartoon aimed at children. Not an Icon, yet? This comes from a total guy perspective but she comes across as about as progressive as a throwback sexy nurse outfit. Even then, there is a place for it...
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    I'd say it's a huge portion of her success, yeah. She's arguably the first major female character to have that "I don't give an f" attitude and "I'll do what I want." She embraces her sexuality which a lot of women desire but constantly get hound upon by society. She also came from a messed up background (being manipulated by the joker) to making something from herself which I'm presuming some women can relate to. We don't realize how linear a lot of ladies personalities are in super heroine comics. There's no where near the amount of variety as there are in men. While my favorite personality type is the nice guy/girl boy scout type character, when that's your entire selection you're bound to deal with saturation lol.
    I'd argue that she has a more childlike approach to her body than an actual embrace of a perceived sexuality but I hear ya.

Swap out Joker for Granny Goodness and loose the booty shorts and you'd have a personality real close to Big Barda fwiw.
    You bet yer ass.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I'd argue that she has a more childlike approach to her body than an actual embrace of a perceived sexuality but I hear ya.

Swap out Joker for Granny Goodness and loose the booty shorts and you'd have a personality real close to Big Barda fwiw.
    Oh I'm referring more to the Suicide Squad the movie, which is what help Harley Quinn really blow up. In comics, she's 50/50 depending upon who's writing her. But in Suicide Squad she was sexual like crazy.

I'm way too excited about this show lol

I don't really care for comic Falcon but love MCU falcon
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Oh I'm referring more to the Suicide Squad the movie, which is what help Harley Quinn really blow up. In comics, she's 50/50 depending upon who's writing her. But in Suicide Squad she was sexual like crazy.
    Gotcha, for sho, I still haven't ever got through the thing but I got the vibes.
    You bet yer ass.

Extraordinary Member

Somehow a character in Suicide Squad, who was basically a male gaze character, ended up being a popular female anti hero?

Part of it is that I guess she's DC's answer to Deadpool in that she pokes fun at a lot DC in universe stuff (but not to the point where she breaks the 4th wall). The other
    part is that breaking away from Joker made her both cooler and more relate-able to the female fanbase at the same time.

And I did notice that DC was positioning Harley as being into various female driven subcultures in her own comic like Roller Derby and Burlesque and now she's also canon bisexual now (she's currently with Poison Ivy, IRRC).

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Part of it is that I guess she's DC's answer to Deadpool in that she pokes fun at a lot DC in universe stuff (but not to the point where she breaks the 4th wall). The other
    part is that breaking away from Joker made her both cooler and more relate-able to the female fanbase at the same time.

And I did notice that DC was positioning Harley as being into various female driven subcultures in her own comic like Roller Derby and Burlesque and now she's also canon bisexual now (she's currently with Poison Ivy, IRRC).
    Maybe it's how like Power Girl was lambasted for years as being a poor portrayal of female characters, but was popular among female cosplayers for years and managed to get into injustice.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Comics Harley has been trash since her debut. Her stans have been writing empowerment fan fiction for her ever since they saw Joker hit her in the cartoon and thought "Hey! That's not nice!"

What's funny is that the improvements they think they've made to the character have made her so much worse over the years.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Maybe it's how like Power Girl was lambasted for years as being a poor portrayal of female characters, but was popular among female cosplayers for years and managed to get into injustice.
    The same thing happened with Vampirella in the 90 but it never translated over to major media.

And Cosplay wasn't really a thing in the states yet, back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Albeit as an alternate skin not a playable character.

Still, better than what we'd expect for most characters.

Invincible Member

I think the bad girl thing is part of it. But Keep in mind that Harley was massively real world popular from the Batman animated show long before her got her own comic. And that version of Harley ( and the Joker for that matter) is more kooky and likeable.

It's interesting that DC caught some flack when nu52 Suicide Squad sexed up her and Amanda Waller, so they dialed it back a notch or two. It was the SS movie that turned Harley's sex appeal back up to 11.

Invincible Member

Maybe...I'd say Catwoman has her beat on that front by some decades. But I do think that Harley combines those elements with the personality of a lovable ditz which probably seems if not fresher, then perhaps for some people more endearing than perhaps the femme fatale or woman warrior archetypes we've had for so long.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Been seeing discussions involving political correctness and diversity of minorities in comics in a way that's really thinking me think right now. It seems that whenever there's criticism regarding the portrayal of minorities in modern comics, there always seems to be this reaction towards it in a way that I think can be basically summed up as, "You should be ashamed of yourself, how dare you criticize something so important, you're a bad person, so you should be shunned and banned."

Now, I'm not saying bigotry can't factor into discussions, as bigotry can jump into any internet discussion at any time and make it worse because bigotry is objectively bad, but with that said, I'm wondering, at least assuming it's possible, how the inclusion and portrayal of minorities can be criticized in such a way that doesn't seem like it comes off as an attack, doesn't seem like it comes off as malicious, and doesn't seem like it comes off out of hatred.

So, without having to necessarily mention what other people think, and instead focus on your personal thoughts, I guess what I'm really trying to ask you guys here is that is there truly a way to make constructive criticism in regards to how minorities are included and portrayed in comics in a way that's still considerate, and respectful, and responsible, because I get the feeling there's a way, but not I'm just sure how to put it into words.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 09-05-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Crazy Rich Asians Writer Adele Lim Quits After Discovering Her White Male Colleague Was Paid 10 Times Her Salary

https://www.themarysue.com/crazy-ric...pay-disparity/