Page 296 of 827 FirstFirst ... 196246286292293294295296297298299300306346396796 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,440 of 12392

In other news

The Quantum Ranger is coming to Battle for the Grid

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    In other news

The Quantum Ranger is coming to Battle for the Grid

I hope they get Daniel Southworth to reprise the role.

An interesting article here pointing out that changing Magneto's origin would be taking away representation of Jews in media

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/why-...5QzXoXqF99_e74
    I don't agree with anything that was in that article. His argument is that Magneto is a POC because he is Jewish- He even stated that if he converted he would not be a POC any more. That is not how it works at all. Hey everyone Donald Trump has a POC child and grandchild! It is like the augment that having red hair makes you a minority.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Extraordinary Member

Black Wall Street,Rosewood just a few black towns that were massacred by white mobs in the Jim Crow era. So yeah I'd agree someone who survived that might have the same issues Magneto displayed in those movies. Also Magneto only became Jewish in 1975 an addition by Chris Claremont who admits his Prof. x vs Magneto political debate was co-opted from MLK and Malcolm X.

Another little known fact that there were black survivors of the holocaust in Germany. It would be interesting to see this brought to light in an X-men movie.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-48273570

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

An interesting article here pointing out that changing Magneto's origin would be taking away representation of Jews in media

Years ago they tried to change Magneto's character of one into Rom background in the comics. This change didn't last so long as it felt disrespectful to what was already there.

Of course with it being 2023+ in the Marvel film universe , that era has long since past. By the time the characters appear in this universe they will be over 90+ years old and it wouldn't work. So I can see them going outside things and casting who they want here. Which will piss fanboys off. But they'd have to understand ..unless they use time travel etc , its not gonna work.

(I can see the Fantastic Four using time travel in an origin story to introduce them into modern day Marvel film universe)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Disagree. Not sure what one has to do with the other. Some mutants do like Wolverine because of his healing factor but that doesn't (and shouldn't IMO) apply to all of them.
    Okay, I hear ya. I'm not talking about having a life span like Wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    If you say so. I haven't been keeping up with the X-books. At one point it was canon that he was de-aged by some alien or something and that was why he wasn't as old as he should have been (once they retconned in the holocaust origin).
    It was Erik the Red of the Shi'ar (even though Cyclops was the first to use that alias), but I can't help but call him Ketchup.

But Magneto was not always Jewish, was he? Wasn't he originally portrayed as Romany, or Gypsy, which was also one of the groups the Nazis targeted, so making him Jewish didn't really change his sense of being victimized by the Nazis, it just made it easier for American audiences to relate.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    His history and experiences surviving Nazi Germany, Auschwitz, and Vinnytsia (the latter is where the events you mentioned) shape his outlook on the situation that mutants face and made him determined to keep such atrocities from ever being committed against mutantkind along with his meeting Professor X in Israel as they exchange their philosophy of how mutantkind should deal with society. This will be hard to recreate in an American (even in pre-civil rights era) without creating another Kilmonger type villain, which has ready been done, and will totally bring on the Malcolm X comparison. And may also bring on the criticism that Marvel only knows how to make one type of black bad guy.
    He was obviously less hateful...

Magneto is a straight, Alpha, White dude.....him being angry at the world for discrimination would be hard to swallow If that ONE experience was the one and only thing you hinge it on
    Magneto explicitly is able to rejuvenate himself using the earth's magnetic field. This is cannon in the comics
    NO....No it's not lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    But Magneto was not always Jewish, was he? Wasn't he originally portrayed as Romany, or Gypsy, which was also one of the groups the Nazis targeted, so making him Jewish didn't really change his sense of being victimized by the Nazis, it just made it easier for American audiences to relate.
    It wadnt really stated what his ethnic background was just that he lost his family in massacre. It wasn't until Jewish writer Chris Claremont wrote a scene about Magnetos number tattoo
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    So what do you guys think about this Denzel Washington fancasting as Magneto thing? If I hear the Malcolm X, Dr. King comparison between Magneto and Xavier one more time my head is going to explode. It's such a shallow comparison that does Malcolm and Martin a major disservice.
    Why does the MCU even need to lean into the metaphor when they are making Black Panther films with Killmonger outright trying to arm Black Folks as a plot point?

Denzel in the MCU as a saner version of Achebe (and I HATE Achebe) I'm fine with. Or Denzel playing any Eternal they can think of or with him doing
    anything that wasn't playing either Charles or Magneto.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    So what do you guys think about this Denzel Washington fancasting as Magneto thing? If I hear the Malcolm X, Dr. King comparison between Magneto and Xavier one more time my head is going to explode. It's such a shallow comparison that does Malcolm and Martin a major disservice.
    The Malcolm/Martin notion aside, strictly speaking on character basis, I think he could portray the gravitas of the character quite well. I saw another fancast that had him as Reed Richards that I prefer due to his more comedic/lighthearted leanings but he's versatile enough for both

Quote Originally Posted by thinkman View Post
    The Malcolm/Martin notion aside, strictly speaking on character basis, I think he could portray the gravitas of the character quite well. I saw another fancast that had him as Reed Richards that I prefer due to his more comedic/lighthearted leanings but he's versatile enough for both
    Huh
    What comedic films has Denzel been in lately?
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Ike is the worst.
    I don't understand how this is not bigger news. Like it's pretty much in book form now that the current CEO of Marvel is a bigot. Yet CBR is posting news about Kevin Feige doing star wars movie and not the fact that Ike is one of the primary reasons we had to wait so long for a freaking black super hero movie.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    I don't understand how this is not bigger news. Like it's pretty much in book form now that the current CEO of Marvel is a bigot. Yet CBR is posting news about Kevin Feige doing star wars movie and not the fact that Ike is one of the primary reasons we had to wait so long for a freaking black super hero movie.
    Because its been known for years, you dont sign onto the Trump administration if you have amazing ethical standards

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Because its been known for years, you dont sign onto the Trump administration if you have amazing ethical standards

Oh wow, that tells you how in the dark I am, I had no idea he was part of the Trump Administration lol.