Page 311 of 824 FirstFirst ... 211261301307308309310311312313314315321361411811 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,665 of 12354
    Extraordinary Member

I think this is the latest and they want us to be mad about a few fantasy gingers. Jason Thomas 911 hero whitewashed in a Oliver Stone movie. He was played by Tom Cruise cousin go figure.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 11-20-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Tonights episode of NWA power was pulled down.

The reason.

Jim cornette couldn't hold his casual racism and thinks saying bigoted things is still okay

http://nodq.com/news/576217645.shtml...SRsKq-5JLY6feo
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    So that's another bridge burnt for Cornette I guess. I figured he would've been done for after he admitted to paying a fan to beat up Vince Russo. Or when he bragged about threatening to kill Vince Russo.
    The NWA has severed ties with cornette over this

what bothers me is that this was a taped and edited episode shot a month ago and they still let it go to air like that

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Say what...

Apple abruptly cancels premiere of The Banker over... concerns.

Apple did not give details about the nature of the concerns.But Hollywood media reported they related to complaints from the children of one of the men, Bernard Garrett.
    The red carpet premiere was due to take place on the closing night of the American Film Institute [AFI] Festival in Los Angeles on Thursday. The film is due to have a cinema release on 6 December before being available on Apple TV+ in January.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50500880
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I think this is the latest and they want us to be mad about a few fantasy gingers. Jason Thomas 911 hero whitewashed in a Oliver Stone movie. He was played by Tom Cruise cousin go figure.

Not a lot has changed since this came out. Talk about it Rosalind Cash

In the vein of Julia Roberts as Harriett Tubman, never let it be misunderstood that ever since Birth of a Nation (1914) the business of movie making has had an underlying theme of shaping basic perceptions and misconceptions of it's people. Primarily though exclusion and secondarily through misconceptions. Everyone goes to the movies. An episode of the comedian Godfrey talked about his recent dealings with the casting processes in Hollywood. When you're younger you don't sometimes realize how many Black actors and actresses stick around such a fucked up game but one of the biggest reasons was they did is because they thought of it as a responsibility, civically.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Point taken, but, that bottom right picture isn't William Mapother (Tom Cruise's cousin). That's Frank Whaley. Both were in that movie, though, so I guess I can see the confusion somewhat.

Extraordinary Member

Not a lot has changed since this came out.

In the vein of Julia Roberts as Harriett Tubman, never let it be misunderstood that ever since Birth of a Nation (1914) the business of movie making has had an underlying theme of shaping basic perceptions and misconceptions of it's people. Primarily though exclusion and secondarily through misconceptions. Everyone goes to the movies. An episode of the comedian Godfrey talked about his recent dealings with the casting processes in Hollywood. When you're younger you don't sometimes realize how many Black actors and actresses stick around such a fucked up game but one of the biggest reasons was they did is because they thought of it as a responsibility, civically.
    Melvin and Mario Van Peebles made a great documentary on this topic too. Robert Townsend also made a pretty good movie called Hollywood shuffle.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 11-21-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Point taken, but, that bottom right picture isn't William Mapother (Tom Cruise's cousin). That's Frank Whaley. Both were in that movie, though, so I guess I can see the confusion somewhat.
    Damn these ppl gotta get better with there memes lol. always gotta double check ****...smdh. Here's the right one.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 11-21-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    So that's another bridge burnt for Cornette I guess. I figured he would've been done for after he admitted to paying a fan to beat up Vince Russo. Or when he bragged about threatening to kill Vince Russo.
    It's not 1995 anymore. You wanna be a heel fine, but you can't be a blatantly racist anymore. Not even as a work.

**** like Junkyard Dog being dragged around the ring by his own chain while Jesse Ventura cackles about Roots 2 can't happen anymore.

Do something else.

Ultimate Member

[FONT=GEORGIA]Sure, I'll give you that, a great portrayal. Shoutout to Avery Brooks, he represented in the inclusion fight for many, many years and repped an angle in a network television space that's never been done again (See A Man called Hawk) more than once. That said, it's an optical portryal not a situationally relateable one. Like, forget the fact that Captain Kirk was out here bangin' aliens back in the 60's. Forget that that's not the kind of portrayal historically a black actor would have historically EVER been put in. Nat King Cole's variety show not even 10 years before that was cancelled because in the South it was socially unaceptable that this uber talented African-American was 'allowed' to present his talent on television for anybody to tune in to see. A single father in a position of leadership raising a son most definitely happened on TV but it meant much, much more because Avery Brooks had the role. Optics, hell Beveryl Crusher was a major story arc as a widow and it didn't seem different at all.

That's a grasp, now you're getting in to Trivial Pursuit levels. A one season sitcom buried on the network new fall schedule isn't quite cutting it. Especially a network trying to mimic another larger show using another black comic from the 60's, don't quite rock for me. A pittance is too strong a word but it was not set-up to prosper from the jump.

I will see your Charlie & Co. and raise you The Royal Family, which I did kinda like. Larenz Tate was the teenager and unfortunately it was Redd Foxx's last show and he tragically passed on the set. Redd Foxx played a TV Grandpa and if you try and add up all of those black characters, I feel you'll still have fingers left on one hand.

Nuff respect to Tim Reid. If you're of a certain age this guy was always in pretty successful shows for a couple decades straight and his thing was always about positive portrayals. I've never been the biggest Robert Townsend fan but I've always respected his hustle and how much talent he gave a showcase for.

That said this begins to be sort of a line generationally. I was grown by the time these shows we on and when I did sit through any of them, It never kept me. If I watched anything on the WB/UPN it would have been Wayans Brothers or Girlfriends and I even gave Homeboy's in Outer Space more than a couple watches. I can't say for sure these shows had the impact that the earlier Black situationals had when there were fewer TV options. I'm sure there are tons of young people who rocked with Moesha and Sister Sister but those kind of ran together to me personally. I didn't like Damon Wayans show either, there was a time where these things got pretty corny.

Damn Volt, you left out Omar Gooding's show, Family Time didn't want none of this lol. Hmmm, now that I think about it, Angell Conwell though, she was the least motherly black mother ever lol.

I'll take your word for it. I will say JEJ and Joe Morton on the same show should have been a much bigger thing. Brother from another Planet and the voice of Darth Vader on the same show.

Eh, that's a reach. Credit for putting a black man of age on a show and the pairing of he and Mr. Gaines against the younger Sinbad was very cool and it worked but I dont' even know if whatever family Thurman's character had ever was mentioned more than once. Not for nothin' but Glynn will always been known for a pair of things imo, Cooley High and beating the hell out of Aretha Franklin.

After a second thought Reginald VelJohnson is off my list. The late great James Avery's Uncle Phil (voice of the Shredder) should take the place of Carl Winslow all day everyday. My bad on that one.
    I have heard of Family Time but I can't get that station.
    Under One Roof had no shot once Vanessa Bell went OFF on Essense Atkins. Momma was saying this was her day not the daughters.

Want some trivia I can give one REAL obscure one that made the cover of my local tv guide.
    Tall Hopes with George Wallace, Dee from the Wayans, Kenny Blank (or Ken Michael as he is known now) and LUCIUS himself-Terrance Howard (his first tv series). I think I got 3 of the 6 episode aired on tape. The last 3 did not air.

Colonel Taylor had a son and daughter-you saw her ONCE and Terrance (Cory Tyler) stayed on for 3 years. He had a daughter with Jalessa. Dawn & Cory both left the show after season 5. Dawn went to Hanging With Mr Cooper. Both got mentioned ONCE in the final season. It was implied his mother was white.

Cory was SUPPOSED to be the among the replacements of the original cast of 90210 and Spelling's apology of the lack of blacks on the show. The original cast was going to be spun off and that is why the cast repeated Senior year. That got scrapped when Melrose Place was thought up. So Cory got written out after 4 episodes.
    Cory Tyler is the son of Willie Tyler (Willie & Lester fame) and was in Moon Walker.

How strong was the attraction to Sister Sister? White guys at my college made it a POINT to watch every episode. Even to the point of putting GIRLFRIENDS out of the dorm just to watch it. Even football games got cut off when that show was on.

[FONT=GEORGIA]I'll take your word for it. I will say JEJ and Joe Morton on the same show should have been a much bigger thing. Brother from another Planet and the voice of Darth Vader on the same show.
    I remember Under One Roof...and remember liking it at the time. Would be interesting to see it now and see how well it's aged. But anyway, no dramatic show with a black cast had a chance of surviving on network television at that time. Not sure if one could survive now.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Michael Jackson Biopic on the Way From the Producer of Bohemian Rhapsody

https://www.themarysue.com/bohemian-...#disqus_thread

What (Reportedly) Happened to Gabrielle Union on America's Got Talent Is Some Bullshit

According to Variety, sources say comments were also made about Union and Hough’s physical appearance. Specifically, Union’s hair was allegedly deemed “too black” for the show. Additionally, there was a reported incident involving guest judge Jay Leno making a racist joke about Cowell’s pets being “on the menu at a Korean restaurant.” Union reportedly implored producers to report the racially insensitive incident to human resources, yet it was never actually escalated to said department. That specific joke from the taping was edited out of the aired episode.
    https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/wha...ric-1840064805

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Michael Jackson Biopic on the Way From the Producer of Bohemian Rhapsody

https://www.themarysue.com/bohemian-...#disqus_thread
    It gets worse somehow....

https://pagesix.com/2019/11/28/johnn...chael-jackson/

If they can't address MJ's issues as drama they are gonna deal with them as farce.

Geeze.