Page 335 of 826 FirstFirst ... 235285325331332333334335336337338339345385435 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,025 of 12382

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    She forgot about LL Cool J. Probably the first blackman to survive 2 horror movies. HalloweenH2O and Deep Blue Sea.
    My man. Survivor of 2. Heather Landenkamp or whatever the fk her name is survived 2 or 3 Nightmare on Elm Streets but that was the same killer. LL survived Michael Myers, who was never for the games like Jason and Freddy.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

The Mandalorian Has Picked Rosario Dawson to Play Ahsoka Tano

https://io9.gizmodo.com/rumor-the-ma...pla-1842428386

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I mean... I appreciate the efforts but this sista left a lot out for a topic that doesn't historically have much too it relatively speaking. No mention that there were like 3 Blacula movies, it was it's own universe. No mention of Blackenstien from the 70s, super trash movie but it has it's moment's. She skipped major parts of the 90s altogether- no mention of People Under the Stairs, Serpent and the Rainbow and if you want a deeper dive in to the sacrificial poc, and so maybe this is generational but Scream 2 used Omar and Jada to market that **** and if you were late 5 minutes you missed her and my man got it through the flimsiest bathroom stall ever.

Look, If you're going to bring up Sanai in AVP, as a standout well then you left out King Beef, Jiles from Carpenter's The Thing... that said, Mount Rushmore of Black characters in Horror is: Duane Jones's Ben, Tony Todd's Ben/Candyman. Keith David as Jiles, Sanai from AVP and Jordan Peele in the Abe Lincoln spot, boom.
    Don't forget Usher and One of Quincy Jones's daughters in the Faculty. They were showcased like CRAZY on fashion shoots and ads for that movie. Only to have 90% of their footage cut.
    Shout out to Duane Martin's cameo in that film as a cop.

Night of the Demons had a son of a black preacher survive and SAVE the screaming white girl.
    Nick Cannon actually lived in one version of one of the Day of the Dead movies as did Corey Hadict (one of Mowry Twins husband).
    Shavar Ross in Friday the 13th (a script to the next film saw him die but the series was rebooted).
    There was another movie from the 80s and the black cop lived.

Don't forget Def by Temptation or Bugged from Troma studios. Def by Temptation was the film Eric Dickerson had to quit (film was 95% done) to film Juice.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    My man. Survivor of 2. Heather Landenkamp or whatever the fk her name is survived 2 or 3 Nightmare on Elm Streets but that was the same killer. LL survived Michael Myers, who was never for the games like Jason and Freddy.
    Yo LL is the Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    My research says he's "one quarter Cherokee".
    His paternal grandmother and maternal grandfather were both Cherokee. He is half

Linda Fairstein Files Federal Suit Against Ava DuVernay Over Her Portrayal in When They See Us

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/lin...nay-1842399056

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Unlike Miles Morales, Kamala Khan, and Lunella Lafayette, America Chavez is one of the newer, more diverse young heroes that I can't say I'm a big fan of. Riri Williams unfortunately, too ... both are characters I'm kind of "meh" about. Glad they exist I guess, for the the kids just starting to read comics today, because when I was a kid it was like Falcon, Storm, Cyborg, and Cloak, pretty much ... but yeah, just clearly not the target demographic for those two characters, I guess.

Edit: Could be I'm just biased against superheroes without alliterative names...
    I think the biggest problem with America Chavez at least is she feels a little too perfect, she permanently left her utopia world and two mums behind to be a hero in 616. Cool. So wheres the culture shock? Wheres the drama ? Why isnt she aghast at how awful our world is comparatively?

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I think the biggest problem with America Chavez at least is she feels a little too perfect, she permanently left her utopia world and two mums behind to be a hero in 616. Cool. So wheres the culture shock? Wheres the drama ? Why isnt she aghast at how awful our world is comparatively?
    Yeah ... I mean, I suppose that if I read more stuff with her in it, I would eventually see some kind of drama to her, but as is, you're right -- she just seems a little too awesome, without the relatively more complicated backgrounds with built-in conflicts that Miles, Kamala, and Lunella seemed to come with. But again, totally allowing that this is just from my admittedly limited perspective on the character ... she has seemed to be a successful and lasting character, so obviously there are plenty of people out there who dig her.

Riri's problem was different, in that I think she needed to not have an AI version of Tony kicking around in what should have been her solo series. The AI was basically portrayed as if it really was Tony, so ghostly version or not, Tony Stark is never going to be a side kick in a book titled "Iron Man". I think it kind of made Riri sidelined from the start. There was even the big cross-over series ... I think it was the one with Hydra-Cap, then the heroes fighting him ... AI Tony was basically leading the rebel side, kind of an inversion of their roles from Civil War. Which was cool and all, but unfortunately made Riri a relatively minor character in the whole thing, when she could have played a much bigger role, if she had been the only "Iron Man" in town, because Tony was dead at the time.

I also think they blew it with the "Ironheart" thing, too. Since technically anyone (even an AI, it turns out) can be piloting the armor, then technically anyone could be Iron Man ... even a teenaged girl, which should have been the point to creating Riri, if they hadn't half-assed it.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Perfect? She's frequently depicted as arrogant and hot-tempered. In fact, the Gabby Rivera series was criticized for making her so obnoxious and self-centered that the audience couldn't stand her.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Yeah ... I mean, I suppose that if I read more stuff with her in it, I would eventually see some kind of drama to her, but as is, you're right -- she just seems a little too awesome, without the relatively more complicated backgrounds with built-in conflicts that Miles, Kamala, and Lunella seemed to come with. But again, totally allowing that this is just from my admittedly limited perspective on the character ... she has seemed to be a successful and lasting character, so obviously there are plenty of people out there who dig her.

Riri's problem was different, in that I think she needed to not have an AI version of Tony kicking around in what should have been her solo series. The AI was basically portrayed as if it really was Tony, so ghostly version or not, Tony Stark is never going to be a side kick in a book titled "Iron Man". I think it kind of made Riri sidelined from the start. There was even the big cross-over series ... I think it was the one with Hydra-Cap, then the heroes fighting him ... AI Tony was basically leading the rebel side, kind of an inversion of their roles from Civil War. Which was cool and all, but unfortunately made Riri a relatively minor character in the whole thing, when she could have played a much bigger role, if she had been the only "Iron Man" in town, because Tony was dead at the time.

I also think they blew it with the "Ironheart" thing, too. Since technically anyone (even an AI, it turns out) can be piloting the armor, then technically anyone could be Iron Man ... even a teenaged girl, which should have been the point to creating Riri, if they hadn't half-assed it.
    There wasn't really a reason to call her Iron Man. She was inspired by him but she didn't want to be him.

I have a soft spot for America Chavez. I think she has a lot of potential, but she just suffers from bad writing. In YA she was kind of a "Punch First, ask Questions Later type" Or at least from what I remember, then in her solo she was horrifically selfish. She needs a more fleshed out personality. They just havent given her one.

There wasn't really a reason to call her Iron Man. She was inspired by him but she didn't want to be him.

Well sure, but likewise Miles didn't want to be Peter, Kamala didn't want to be Carol, and Sam didn't want to be Steve. They were just inspired by them, but there is also significance to the name. Jane wasn't trying to become "Odinson", but Thunderstrike doesn't carry quite the same weight as Thor, just like Scarlet Spider doesn't carry the same weight as Spider-Man.

I mean, I think the "reason" to have Riri become Iron Man would have been roughly the same as having James Rhodes take the name, before he was ever called War Machine. Or, for that matter, even having Dick take up the mantle of Batman, after he'd proved himself as Nightwing for decades. Taking the official title of a big name superhero is a big deal. And at the end of the day, Riri was introduced "starring" in a title called Iron Man, but being called Ironheart. Unintended or not, it made her seem halfway like a sidekick -- to an AI of the original hero, no less.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Perfect? She's frequently depicted as arrogant and hot-tempered. In fact, the Gabby Rivera series was criticized for making her so obnoxious and self-centered that the audience couldn't stand her.

In universe or in real life ? Because Bad writing effects everyone irrespective of their character traits and (as mentioned above) it was a universally acknowledged badly written biok by a YA Author whom probably shouldn't be an author.

In universe or in real life ? Because Bad writing effects everyone irrespective of their character traits and (as mentioned above) it was a universally acknowledged badly written biok by a YA Author whom probably shouldn't be an author.
    In real life but even before that she had plenty of character flaws. The problem with the solo is they downplayed her more likable traits.

Invincible Member

Afrofuturism...

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Don't forget Usher and One of Quincy Jones's daughters in the Faculty. They were showcased like CRAZY on fashion shoots and ads for that movie. Only to have 90% of their footage cut.
    Shout out to Duane Martin's cameo in that film as a cop.
    Bruuuh that was some straight up bullsh!t
    GrindrStone(D)