Page 347 of 827 FirstFirst ... 247297337343344345346347348349350351357397447 ... LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,205 of 12391

And yeah, comment sections always tend to provide a good look into the (moderated) mind of the bigot -- for better or for worse.
    What is wild is that, it is just as bad if not worse on FB/IG... with people using their own names.

The thing with reddit is that you get no filter. And the echo chamber is intense.

But the number of people who think that way is way too large to simply be a "reddit demographic" thing. That **** crosses all demographic barriers. It is too prominent everywhere.

Makes **** just feel hopeless.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Invincible Member

I think Crew's problem is that he's trying to be a voice of moderation, but using language like "black supremacy" plays right into racist fears.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    What is wild is that, it is just as bad if not worse on FB/IG... with people using their own names.

The thing with reddit is that you get no filter. And the echo chamber is intense.

But the number of people who think that way is way too large to simply be a "reddit demographic" thing. That **** crosses all demographic barriers. It is too prominent everywhere.

It's generally useless to try to discuss things with them and likewise impossible to avoid them -- Reddit, Yahoo, Gamefaqs (etc): it's all the same.

Now instead of trying to be "reasonable" with them I just watch their inevitable melt down as more and more people publicly denounce their beliefs.

No real point in getting too worked up about it -- so long as America remains a democratic nation, demographics will eventually render them obsolete.

I always keep in mind the stories told to me by older relatives -- stories about things that I fortunately never had to experience growing up.

Hopefully the next generation of "minority" kids can say the same about this generation.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-10-2020 at 06:24 AM.

Ultimate Member

That's why change doesn't happen, the bigotry is far too entrenched in too many people.

I heard someone say that some people teach their kids racism as early as 3 years old, based on what i see and read nowadays, i'm inclined to believe this. Because the visceral reaction to anything black related (from relatively unimportant things as Black Panther getting a best picture nomination to more serious things like the racial wealth gap) is far too pronounced among some of our non-minority brethren. This isn't something that they are born with, this is something that is drilled into them over and over again to the point that they become brainwashed.

It's so bad that a lot of non-blacks don't understand the existence of economic red lines that kept majority of black people in ghettos, why stuff like affirmative action is necessary (funny enough, you listen to these guys and vast majority of them will never employ black people), they don't understand how the "war on drugs" shattered many African-American communities, they don't understand that TO THIS DAY efforts are still being made to suppress minority votes and so many issues that have left the African-Americans totally disadvantaged. No one is even saying that every single white man should feel guilt for their ancestors but we all (regardless of race) should acknowledge the fact that the "founding founders" and those that came after did everything humanly possible to totally and completely dehumanize, depress and impoverish African-Americans and the effects of these efforts are still being felt to this day.

So many idiots online don't seem to realize that black people only got their full rights 55 FUCKING YEARS AGO and the strides they've made is DESPITE the system and NOT BECAUSE of it. But as people have pointed out, if they refuse to understand and change, the world will change around them and simply leave them behind. With so much information all around us, there's no excuse for anyone to be an idiot.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That's why change doesn't happen, the bigotry is far too entrenched in too many people.

I heard someone say that some people teach their kids racism as early as 3 years old, based on what i see and read nowadays, i'm inclined to believe this. Because the visceral reaction to anything black related (from relatively unimportant things as Black Panther getting a best picture nomination to more serious things like the racial wealth gap) is far too pronounced among some of our non-minority brethren. This isn't something that they are born with, this is something that is drilled into them over and over again to the point that they become brainwashed.
    A lot of that happens online these days -- white supremacists actively recruit from many of these forums, especially comic and game sites that have young and impressionable minds that they can sway to their mode of thought with talk of "SJWs" and "political correctness".

Sites like YouTube and Yahoo "normalize" racism in their comments while sites like 4Chan trivialize it and others like Stormfront actively promote it.

My only concern for a time was that some of them might possibly ignite a larger conflict and initiate the "race war" many of them seem to want but given the failure of everyone from Charles Manson to Timothy McVeigh to Dylan Roof to the "Boogaloo Boys" to do so -- and the recent protests against racism in which people from all backgrounds are speaking out -- that seems more and more unlikely as time goes on.

People of color are now completely ingrained into the military, political and social fabric of America -- their philosophy is as outdated as Klan robes.

-----

-----
    "RCSD: Second man accused of violence, affiliated with extreme Boogaloo group, arrested"

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) - A man has lost his job after his arrest on charges of inciting a riot during Saturday’s protest in downtown Columbia.

Kevin Ackley, 22, worked as a medic for Richland County Emergency Services. He was arrested in Lexington on Friday and subsequently fired from his job. Deputies say Ackley threw a water bottle at law enforcement officers during Saturday’s protest. They accuse him of helping to start a riot.

Deputies also shared pictures of items in Ackley’s possession that associate him with the Boogaloo group. Lott said the Boogaloo, who often wear Hawaiin shirts, are an extremist group looking to start a civil war.

“It’s disgusting that a man who is supposed to be protecting the lives of citizens and law enforcement officers alike would participate in a riot that injured people,” Sheriff Leon Lott said. “He is now where he needs to be — in jail. And he’ll be held accountable for what he’s done.”

Ackley is charged with inciting a riot and aggravated breach of peace.

This is the second person arrested and accused of violence during Saturday’s protest who has been identified by deputies as part of Boogaloo.

The sheriff thanks the public for help in identifying Ackley."

https://www.wistv.com/2020/06/05/rcs...roup-arrested/
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-10-2020 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think Crew's problem is that he's trying to be a voice of moderation, but using language like "black supremacy" plays right into racist fears.
    Kinda like Otto Porter who said to "pray for the cops" that killed Floyd

Like dude... do you not see how bad that sounds?

I mean, even his follow up comments seem brain dead

He continued: “What I was trying to say is: I, as a member of the black community, there have been so-called gatekeepers who decide who’s black and who’s not. In this effort to really push equality and to end white supremacy and systemic racism, there are certain black people who have determined that what I’m doing has no bearing. I have been rendered moot because I’m ‘successful.’ My point is just the fact that we need all of us.”

Crews said when discussing women’s rights, “Women’s rights without men, nothing changes. If men don’t understand how to treat women, we’re going to have a problem. And it’s the same thing with white people. If white people don’t understand how to treat us as a community, we’re going to have a problem. But also, in our own community, we have to know how to treat each other. We have to allow ourselves to agree, to disagree, to have different viewpoints. Because right now, in the words of Joe Biden, if you don’t vote for me, ‘you ain’t black.’”
    I mean, is it really the time to bitch about "black gatekeepers say im not black enough" ??? That is what he wants to talk about now?

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

It's so bad that a lot of non-blacks don't understand the existence of economic red lines that kept majority of black people in ghettos, why stuff like affirmative action is necessary (funny enough, you listen to these guys and vast majority of them will never employ black people), they don't understand how the "war on drugs" shattered many African-American communities, they don't understand that TO THIS DAY efforts are still being made to suppress minority votes and so many issues that have left the African-Americans totally disadvantaged. No one is even saying that every single white man should feel guilt for their ancestors but we all (regardless of race) should acknowledge the fact that the "founding founders" and those that came after did everything humanly possible to totally and completely dehumanize, depress and impoverish African-Americans and the effects of these efforts are still being felt to this day.

So many idiots online don't seem to realize that black people only got their full rights 55 FUCKING YEARS AGO and the strides they've made is DESPITE the system and NOT BECAUSE of it. But as people have pointed out, if they refuse to understand and change, the world will change around them and simply leave them behind. With so much information all around us, there's no excuse for anyone to be an idiot.
    "bUt WhAt AbOuT bLaCk-On-BlAcK cRiMe? WhAt AbOuT cHiCaGo???"

I've posted this before, but I once had a sister-in-law post (back during Fergason protest stuff) that "Slavery ended X amount of years ago. Why do people always cry about racism?"

Still to this day, one of the most ignorant things I've ever read and I'm fucking related to the person. My wife texted her about how dumb it was and she deleted it but i'v enever looked at her the same since.

Ultimate Member

A lot of that happens online these days -- white supremacists actively recruit from many of these forums, especially comic and game sites (Gamer/Comicgate).

Sites like YouTube and Yahoo tend to "normalize" racism in their comments while sites like 4Chan trivialize it and others like Stormfront actively promote it.

[B]My only concern at this point is that some of them might possibly ignite a larger conflict and initiate the "race war" many of them seem to want but given the failure of everyone from Charles Manson to Timothy McVeigh to Dylan Roof to the "Boogaloo Boys" to do so -- and the recent protests against racism in which people from all backgrounds are speaking out -- that seems more and more unlikely as time goes on.
    That's why these protests are very timely, there's been a rise in extreme right nonsense that threatened to re-contextualize the discussions on race and bigotry.

Yahoo news comments is dominated by neo-nazis, like the worst of the worst. The comments are closer to stormfront than anything. The gaming community has been completely overtaken by the alt-right (i would even argue the alt-right grew out of that community), comicsgate showed there are elements in comics too but I think they're a lot fewer than they thought they were because comicsgate is pretty much dead.

My fear is some of these guys gaining political power to stand in the way and/or roll back progress. The current governor of Florida used to visit some of these sites and it's clear that he's a complete idiot.
    Last edited by Username taken; 06-10-2020 at 07:04 AM.

Ultimate Member

"bUt WhAt AbOuT bLaCk-On-BlAcK cRiMe? WhAt AbOuT cHiCaGo???"

I've posted this before, but I once had a sister-in-law post (back during Fergason protest stuff) that "Slavery ended X amount of years ago. Why do people always cry about racism?"

Still to this day, one of the most ignorant things I've ever read and I'm fucking related to the person. My wife texted her about how dumb it was and she deleted it but i'v enever looked at her the same since.
    That black on black violence thing is a total non-issue. White people kill more white people than black people kill them, it's a non-starter of a discussion.

Unfortunately, a lot of our white brethren think that all the problems with the black community ended with slavery. I don't know if its a failure of the educational system or just plain ignorance but when I hear or read such stupidity, I just walk away from it. The ignorance is so far entrenched that it'll take too much of my time to try and enlighten them.

Ultimate Member

That's why these protests are very timely, there's been a rise in extreme right nonsense that threatened to re-contextualize the discussions on race and bigotry.

Yahoo news comments is dominated by neo-nazis, like the worst of the worst. The comments are closer to stormfront than anything. The gaming community has been completely overtaken by the alt-right (i would even argue the alt-right grew out of that community), comicsgate showed there are elements in comics too but I think they're a lot fewer than they thought they were because comicsgate is pretty much dead.

My fear is some of these guys gaining political power to stand in the way and/or roll back progress. The current governor of Florida used to visit some of these sites and it's clear that he's a complete idiot.
    Not just timely but also the result of society seeing for themselves -- both online and offline -- just how deeply hatred is ingrained into these people.

It's one thing to see it on message board sites but quite another to see it when Elliot Rodger or Dylan Roof or Brenton Tarrant or Patrick Crusius or Derek Chauvin go out and show the world what white supremacy is really all about.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-10-2020 at 07:12 AM.

Candace Owens, I got nothin', Ben Carson, I don't know what the fk. My take away from those caricatures, the Stacy Dash's and those two clowns that keep caping for Trump at his rallies are that, in that space- there is such a blank slate that basic rules of capitalism mandates is that SOMEONE is going to fill it, right. Honestly that they are so few and far between tells you all you need to know. Nothing but disdain.

Terry Crews though at this point... I don't want to playing Devils Advocate nor present him in any light other than what he as a 50 year old man, has presented himself but I doubt anyone disagrees, by more than a couple metrics dude has been a little off from the jump. Weather it's his choice of roles over the last 30 years or the circumstances regarding his claims of sexual assault, or anytime he's used his voice to counter other claims by usually Black folks. He has truly bought into it- lock, stock that who he is, is just want other people see him as. Even without all the decades of lifting, he's still a large brotha and that is a face value burden I don't think he's ever been even partially comfortable with. My amateur psychology degree tells me, all these years he's made it work and personally flourished in television and movies and likely surrounded himself with a person or people who've reinforced whatever gaps in his identity he's maintained, growing up in Flint, Michigan mind you, that he still holds as a fact. He speaks his heart, my feeling is more of pity for him.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Candace Owens, I got nothin', Ben Carson, I don't know what the fk. My take away from those caricatures, the Stacy Dash's and those two clowns that keep caping for Trump at his rallies are that, in that space- there is such a blank slate that basic rules of capitalism mandates is that SOMEONE is going to fill it, right. Honestly that they are so few and far between tells you all you need to know. Nothing but disdain.

Terry Crews though at this point... I don't want to playing Devils Advocate nor present him in any light other than what he as a 50 year old man, has presented himself but I doubt anyone disagrees, by more than a couple metrics dude has been a little off from the jump. Weather it's his choice of roles over the last 30 years or the circumstances regarding his claims of sexual assault, or anytime he's used his voice to counter other claims by usually Black folks. He has truly bought into it- lock, stock that who he is, is just want other people see him as. Even without all the decades of lifting, he's still a large brotha and that is a face value burden I don't think he's ever been even partially comfortable with. My amateur psychology degree tells me, all these years he's made it work and personally flourished in television and movies and likely surrounded himself with a person or people who've reinforced whatever gaps in his identity he's maintained, growing up in Flint, Michigan mind you, that he still holds as a fact. He speaks his heart, my feeling is more of pity for him.
    Very interesting points.

That's another way of examining his viewpoints and what could account for his apparent cluelessness.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post

People of color are now completely ingrained into the military, political and social fabric of America -- their philosophy is as outdated as Klan robes.
    Unfortunately that is to a degree. The largest push-back any of the the actions taken post George Floyd's murder any will see, will be from the Fraternal Order of Police. Every police department in America with more than a handful of Black police officers, has their OWN order if that tells you anything.

BUTLER: Police unions often stand in the way of reform. They do so with their rhetoric and with protections they win for cops. So in Philadelphia, the president of the FOP called Black Lives Matter protesters a bunch of rabid animals after a Cleveland cop killed 12-year-old Tamir Rice, who was playing with a toy gun. Another FOP union head tweeted, act like a thug, you'll be treated like a thug. So police reform is about transparency and accountability, and police unions resist those important goals. They fight to keep disciplinary records of cops secret.
    From 2016

The endorsement of Donald Trump by the Fraternal Order of Police appears to have driven a wedge between many black cops and their white brothers in blue.

And nowhere is the split more visible than in Philadelphia, where the local FOP chapter has fallen in line and also endorsed the Republican presidential candidate — over the objections of a group that represents some 2,500 African-American officers in the city and which has branded Trump an “outrageous bigot.”
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Unfortunately that is to a degree. The largest push-back any of the the actions taken post George Floyd's murder any will see, will be from the Fraternal Order of Police. Every police department in America with more than a handful of Black police officers, has their OWN order if that tells you anything.
    I thought about the police and didn't mention them for that reason -- I still remember Christopher Dorner speaking about it a long time ago.

At least people can see now for themselves what black people have been telling them for generations about the police.

What they do with that information -- whether politically or socially -- remains to be seen.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-10-2020 at 08:13 AM.

How do you think police in media will be depicted going forward in light of all this?