Page 350 of 828 FirstFirst ... 250300340346347348349350351352353354360400450 ... LastLast
Results 5,236 to 5,250 of 12408

Jay Pharoah opens up about being held at gunpoint by the LAPD

Comedian and former Saturday Night Live cast member Jay Pharoah has added his voice to the choir of those supporting the Black Lives Matter movement in America. Pharoah posted a video to Instagram yesterday, in which he discussed his own recent experiences with the LAPD—including having multiple guns drawn on him while he was out exercising, and having his neck held down by an officer’s knee.

Accompanied by surveillance cam footage of the incident, Pharoah recounts both how he was suddenly surprised by four different police officers who told him he “fit the description” of a Black man they were pursuing, and also how the incident resonated with him strongly a week later, when footage of the deaths of Ahmaud Arbery and later George Floyd began to circulate. “It wasn’t as long as George Floyd,” Pharoah said, referring to the officer’s knee on his neck, “But I know how that feels.”
    https://news.avclub.com/jay-pharoah-...-th-1844024856

Ultimate Member

It's funny, Richard Pryor made this joke in 1979.

And its still relevant in 2020.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Jay Pharoah opens up about being held at gunpoint by the LAPD

https://news.avclub.com/jay-pharoah-...-th-1844024856
    This...is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Majority of discussions of race is framed from a bigoted perspective and it then falls on the minorities to start educating others on the truth, which should never, ever be the case. It’s telling that most people (of any race) found out about the Tulsa massacre from the Watchmen TV series, that’s very ,very disturbing.

"Black History" in school:

- slaves sold in ivory coast and brought over in US in bad conditions (doesn't go into HOW bad at all)
    - slaves forced into slave labor. would be whipped if bad. slavery hardwork. But look how inventive they were with soul food!!!
    - civil war, emancipation proclamation baby!
    - one sentence on 3/5 compromise. one sentence on Jim Crow.
    - oh look, emmit til
    - Civil Rights! MLK good, Malcolm bad. MLK dead, Malcolm dead. Segregation ended!

The end. Literally. I bet there is an Obama paragraph now.

Meanwhile, I had a whole trimester of European history learning about a bunch of kings and queens for waaaaaaaaaaaay back that have no relevance to me at all. (just the good stuff though, none of the atrocities)

TBF, i was in a black scholarship program in under grad. Got a bunch of money but you had to do certain things for the program too. They didn't teach me a GD thing either other than "get your education and your money."
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

That's the thing, immigrants tend to love the countries settle in. The right wing noisemakers ALWAYS use immigrants as scapegoats for everything wrong with society. Especially when said immigrants are white and/or Christian.
    I'm assuming you meant NOT white and/or Christian?
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    "Black History" in school:

- slaves sold in ivory coast and brought over in US in bad conditions (doesn't go into HOW bad at all)
    - slaves forced into slave labor. would be whipped if bad. slavery hardwork. But look how inventive they were with soul food!!!
    - civil war, emancipation proclamation baby!
    - one sentence on 3/5 compromise. one sentence on Jim Crow.
    - oh look, emmit til
    - Civil Rights! MLK good, Malcolm bad. MLK dead, Malcolm dead. Segregation ended!

The end. Literally. I bet there is an Obama paragraph now.
    Hmmm... Similar, especially before High School...
    Don't leave out Rosa Parks, her story was an elementary school staple. I feel the Public School system has a window beginning in 4th or 5th grade through 8th to largely 'educate' the public on slavery slash Black History. There was never language like' Middle Passage' or anything near and atrocities that were the fuel behind bondage. It was washed over, nothing about an inherent system or even a stray look at colonization on the whole. Yes 3/5 compromise, emancipation, Civil War, very little on Jim Crow outside of a mention, yes on the Memphis bus boycotts though, some cool bulletin boards in February although nothing as throughout as what's come up in the last 20 years. Lots of Dr. King speeches reread over the years and even a couple via the A/V cart.

No mention of Emmit Till though as the catalyst for the Civil Rights movement. I didn't hear the word Juneteenth until I was in college. It's a balancing act early on because the majority doesn't even have to be bothered with the ugliness of American History when it's more convenient to just, not.

I never had Malcolm X mentioned in primary school. In fact I never heard his name outside of the spine of the book on my Dad's shelf until the song 'Malcolm X, No Sell Out' was played here and there in the 80s. Hadn't thought about that one in about a decade or two. Until KRS that is. Hip-Hop saves.

I'm in my 40s but one of the gigs I used to have was like, the most Black folks I ever worked with. Great group of people but many of them were a little older at the time and one night we was talkin' and Roots came up about when it came out in the 70s and they were all like in middle school at the time. Maaaan, them cats said they were fighting daily for a week. There were some levels of desegregation going on at the time some seeing something like that and going to school and dealing with assholes was a wild convergence of events to put it mildly.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Hmmm... Similar, especially before High School...
    Don't leave out Rosa Parks, her story was an elementary school staple. I feel the Public School system has a window beginning in 4th or 5th grade through 8th to largely 'educate' the public on slavery slash Black History. There was never language like' Middle Passage' or anything near and atrocities that were the fuel behind bondage. It was washed over, nothing about an inherent system or even a stray look at colonization on the whole. Yes 3/5 compromise, emancipation, Civil War, very little on Jim Crow outside of a mention, yes on the Memphis bus boycotts though, some cool bulletin boards in February although nothing as throughout as what's come up in the last 20 years. Lots of Dr. King speeches reread over the years and even a couple via the A/V cart.

No mention of Emmit Till though as the catalyst for the Civil Rights movement. I didn't hear the word Juneteenth until I was in college. It's a balancing act early on because the majority doesn't even have to be bothered with the ugliness of American History when it's more convenient to just, not.

I never had Malcolm X mentioned in primary school. In fact I never heard his name outside of the spine of the book on my Dad's shelf until the song 'Malcolm X, No Sell Out' was played here and there in the 80s. Hadn't thought about that one in about a decade or two. Until KRS that is. Hip-Hop saves.

I'm in my 40s but one of the gigs I used to have was like, the most Black folks I ever worked with. Great group of people but many of them were a little older at the time and one night we was talkin' and Roots came up about when it came out in the 70s and they were all like in middle school at the time. Maaaan, them cats said they were fighting daily for a week. There were some levels of desegregation going on at the time some seeing something like that and going to school and dealing with assholes was a wild convergence of events to put it mildly.
    Yep rosa parks. Forgot that one.

Also forgot watching "Glory" and "Remember the Titans."
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

George Lopez says Latinx celebrities staying quiet about Black Lives Matter is 'the wrong attitude'

George Lopez has a message for Latinx celebrities who are choosing to stay silent during the George Floyd protests: stop.

"You see some comments that are like "How am I supposed to help black lives when they don't help us? That's the wrong attitude. You don't do something and expect something in return. You do it because it's right," the comedian tells EW.
    Lopez, who didn't call out any celebrities by name, remembers being in Los Angeles during the 1992 Rodney King riots. In March of that year, King was beaten and stomped by a group of police officers in the San Fernando Valley during an arrest. The four officers were acquitted of any crimes. But the incident was caught on camera, leading to five days of intense riots in the area for the police brutality.

Lopez remembers doing a comedy show at the Ice House in Pasadena at the time where he brought up the political climate during his act.

"I remember walking off stage and two tables of people were flipping me off as I walked by," Lopez says.

The San Fernando Valley native has always been vocal about breaking minority stereotypes in his comedy act.

“People see color first. After a show in Houston, a guy came up to me and said, ‘I didn’t think you’d be funny.’ I said, ‘Why, because I’m Latino?’ He said ‘Yeah.’ I appreciated his honesty, but it shows the stereotypes we’re fighting," Lopez told the LA Times in 1992.
    https://ew.com/celebrity/george-lope...*****s-matter/

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I didn't hear the word Juneteenth until I was in college.
    I went to elementary school in Texas and Juneteenth was thought in Texas history class in the school that I went to and was observed in the city that I lived in. I really think that it was just a Texas thing for long time because when I moved from there no one seemed to really know about it outside of Texas till the last decade or so
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    I'm assuming you meant NOT white and/or Christian?
    Yes, I meant NOT.

I normally post on my phone and tend to make a lot of errors.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Yep rosa parks. Forgot that one.

Also forgot watching "Glory" and "Remember the Titans."
    Harriet Tubman usually comes up too.

They always mention some scientist or inventor, 9 times out of 10 it's George Washington Carver.

I can't remember where I learned about Juneteenth, It wasn't school I know that.

Ultimate Member

Majority of discussions of race is framed from a bigoted perspective and it then falls on the minorities to start educating others on the truth, which should never, ever be the case. It’s telling that most people (of any race) found out about the Tulsa massacre from the Watchmen TV series, that’s very ,very disturbing.

Here is something most folks don't know-what text books you have in school have to be approved at the state and later the local school board level.

And YES the public is suppose to be told about it and allowed to look over said books before any voting happens.
    So lets say you wanted a history book that excluded Hilary or Helen Keller guess what you can present that to the state and if approved that book can be offered to all schools.
    How do I knw because LOL someone tried it.

https://www.slj.com/?detailStory=tex...rom-curriculum

The Texas State Board of Education (SBOE) wants to “streamline” its schools’ social studies and history curriculum. In an effort to eliminate some of the mandatory standards, a preliminary vote by the board approved the removal of Hillary Clinton—former Secretary of State, U.S. senator, First Lady, and the first female presidential candidate to be nominated by a major party—from required curriculum.

Clinton would not be the only prominent woman deleted. Third grade social studies students would no longer have to learn about Helen Keller in their prominent U.S. citizens section. And Eleanor Roosevelt would lost from the high school’s U.S. History Since 1877 class. Roosevelt, however, is mentioned in the first grade curriculum, so she would not be removed completely by history and social studies classes.

To be fair, the recommendations do not only recommend cutting women. George S. Patton and other men may be lost, as well. There is even a suggestion to remove George Washington from eighth grade standards, because he is taught in two earlier grades.

And, Bahorich’s email noted, “Barry Goldwater (the first candidate of ethnically Jewish heritage to be nominated for President by a major American party) is recommended for removal as well.”

This is why certain things get left out of textbooks.

But now that is a thing of the past because of this....

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020...black-history/

SAN ANTONIO – There is a strong belief among historians and researchers that racial tensions throughout the nation directly correlate with people not knowing or understanding the history in this country that play roles in the continuing call for racial equality.

There is a team of about 40 historians and researchers who’ve created a new school curriculum called Black History 365; An Inclusive Account of American History, that explores crucial pieces of history often left out of text books.

“We have over 3,000 original images that many people have never seen before,” said BH365 CEO, Walter Milton Jr., who said the course work chronicles black history, the good, bad and the ugly.

Black History 365 is expected to be incorporated into more than a dozen school curriculum, mostly in Dallas, by this fall with more throughout the state and nation over time.
    From my understanding a school district has to request it.

If you wanted a copy a $175 donation gets you a copy.

Now I am NOT sure if that mean a class for credit will be created. If it is I would suspect it to be an elective class. I mean we got a class for credit to make comic books at a school.

Ultimate Member

Incredible Member

Yes, I meant NOT.

I normally post on my phone and tend to make a lot of errors.
    Well apart from the 250,000 ghanaians expelled from nigeria, the fact that 'oursiders' had to live in their own quarters in northern nigeria, the fact that northern nigeria is sharia, and the fact that the country is subject to constant bouts of ethnic violence and had a full blown civil war that lead to a million dead....

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Well apart from the 250,000 ghanaians expelled from nigeria, the fact that 'oursiders' had to live in their own quarters in northern nigeria, the fact that northern nigeria is sharia, and the fact that the country is subject to constant bouts of ethnic violence and had a full blown civil war that lead to a million dead....
    I dont understand your post.