Page 359 of 828 FirstFirst ... 259309349355356357358359360361362363369409459 ... LastLast
Results 5,371 to 5,385 of 12408

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

All this being said, Nick Cannon has a rich history of saying dumb ****. People need to understand that dumb decisions have consequences.
    What else has he said?

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I'm more worried about the established ones.

Like hell, the "effort" put into comic Black Panther is really thin if you look at it for more than 30 seconds.
    That's an issue to. Sometimes I think most black characters exist only so that Marvel and DC can say "we have black characters" and then they don't think about them much after that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    What will be interesting to see is how many edge-lords and free speech warriors...these guys who cry about "cancel culture" and "there's no such thing as hate speech" and why are we de-platforming people...how many of them are going to cape for Nick Cannon? Or is race-baiting only a 1st Amendment right when certain people do it?
    Sorry they are not going to come cape for Nick Cannon.

All they see is a black guy-who started with nothing and made it. He had his own show, comedy stand up shows, earphones, clothing line, movies and geot to be in charge of a network. Then got a wife and kids adn almosted died from Kidney issues. He's not even 40 yet.

All they see is a black guy who like so many other black folks have done more than white counterparts.

Nick Cannon had not provided anything for them to jump on.

They are being de-platformed because too many of them are fountains of misinformation.

Milestone's founders were black. Yet look behind them that company was diverse.

Princess Weekes of The Mary Sue praises the Babysitters Club's Mary-Anne for presenting a type of black girl not seen often in media

This incarnation of the series is filled with diversity, although colorism is still an issue, and among many of the changes is that Mary Anne is played by Black biracial actress Malia Baker. Through this change Mary Anne Spier, the sensitive, shy wallflower, suddenly became an important figure of representation for me.
    Growing up, I was a shy kid and kept relatively sheltered by my parents. They wanted me to be safe and I found some elements of comfort in that security. However, I was also painfully sensitive and prone to crying, something that gave me the reputation of “crybaby” that followed me until the 8th grade. It was something I’d always felt ashamed of because there was something drilled into me that as a Black girl in America, I had to be tougher than I was. I had to sharpen those soft corners of myself and be prepared for battle at any point.
    Sadly, that was never who I was and even though now IÂ’m not as prone to crying, IÂ’m still an emotional person. I never was able to get those soft edges fully roughed out. This is why I was so drawn to Mary Anne, as played by Malia Baker.
    Mary Anne in the books was the wallflower, often spoken at than to by everyone, even her friends (and especially bossy BFF Kristy), and her storyline is about slowly feeling more confident in dressing and making decisions for herself. There is a scene where Mary Anne talks about her hair, how it is always in her trademark braids because it was the only hairstyle her father, played by Marc Evan Jackson, was taught. As soon as we see Mary Anne being more confident, you see more exploration of her hair, which as a Black girl rang so true.
    We are not expected to be shy wallflowers like Mary Anne who are trying to discover ourselves the same way as our white peers. Racebending is an imperfect system of representation because not every non-white existence can be copied and pasted onto a white canvas. That being said, I think they actually picked a character who could deliver a kind of Black girl representation that you donÂ’t often get to see: innocence.
    https://www.themarysue.com/mary-anne...-sitters-club/

Some of the characters in my comics, present & future. Got one of my go to artists Glenn Brewer to do this pic for a project called Indieversity, spearheaded by Eric N. Bennett. It showcases the worlds of a bunch of indie comic creators. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/eric.n.benn...4023390&type=3
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Ultimate Member

https://twitter.com/cheryllynneaton/...58033780576257

think in regards to Dynamite, what a creator has to ask themselves is "Will this company protect me from abuse and harassment while I am providing them with my services?" I think the company has shown by its recent actions that the answer is no.
    So far 10 stores are dropping their books.

Blindspot from Soule's run on Daredevil is how new minority characters should be handled. He feels like his own man but has the safety net of a legacy. Forget making another Iron Fist show or making him asian, id prefer a Blindspot tv show instead.

PS. I don't hate Iron Fist, he just never became a must read character on his own. He works better in ensemble and would've needed more work to be a compelling solo lead. Making him asian or mixed race is an opportunity but not a solution by itself. The first season gave him a sloppy foundation that most actors would've fallen into the same hole as Jones did.

Just my perspective as a POC fan and someone studying writing.

Working on my own material taught me its easier to create Iron fists than Daredevils.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 07-19-2020 at 07:55 AM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

If they had done the Brubaker run in a way with Iron Fist as an established already hero who really didn't do headlines etc , and we get awesome fucking ninja battles with The Hand and the whole karate tournament deal ...it would have worked. We could have had a wild , unique series. Instead the episodes I saw was the writers saw "Arrow" and decided....ok , lets steal most of that and do this.

Another idea would have been to introduce Danny in the Luke Cage series. Where the 2 form the "Heroes for Hire" business where we see the whole best friends from different worlds play off. That would have worked.

Yeah there was so many avenues the producers could have done with an Iron Fist series. Doing a version of Arrow just didn't work.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    If they had done the Brubaker run in a way with Iron Fist as an established already hero who really didn't do headlines etc , and we get awesome fucking ninja battles with The Hand and the whole karate tournament deal ...it would have worked. We could have had a wild , unique series. Instead the episodes I saw was the writers saw "Arrow" and decided....ok , lets steal most of that and do this.
    The series was doomed from the outset. They made a diesel with Netflix with a package of various shows without bothering to full determine how to create all of them correctly. The majority worked out thankfully, but Iron Fist was left with the scraps and a tiny budget. It was haphazardly improvised at the last second, with Scott Buck (or Dexter fame), who didn't respect the material and the window to shoot was far tighter than the other series. They barely had the time to rehearse stunts and did the scenes not long after IIRC. Show never had a chance. I don't even baler the actors they did the best with what they had, which was nothing - only a few actors got good performances (Jessica Henwick, Alice Eve, David Wenham, Tom Pelprey and Sasha Dawan).

They would have ended a bigger budget, more lead time and someone like Stephen Knight as its show runner to do any of Brubaker's ideas justice.

Another idea would have been to introduce Danny in the Luke Cage series. Where the 2 form the "Heroes for Hire" business where we see the whole best friends from different worlds play off. That would have worked.
    That'd be great. Maybe Disney will do that next?

Yeah there was so many avenues the producers could have done with an Iron Fist series. Doing a version of Arrow just didn't work.
    Calling Iron Fist like Arrow is given Iron Fist too much credit.

Extraordinary Member

All the Netfilx series leaned into other Genres for feel and inspiration. Daredevil was Noir. Jessica Jones was Erotic Thriller. Luke Cage had Eazy Rawlins style of novels.

What did Iron Fist do? Not Chinese Swordsman stories.

Nor was it the Shonen power up action.

They did corrupt business/dysfunctional family drama with conspiracy stuff thrown in.

Pretty anything you might have wanted to see in a Iron Fist story you weren't getting even if that dude could do credible fight scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    All the Netfilx series leaned into other Genres for feel and inspiration. Daredevil was Noir. Jessica Jones was Erotic Thriller. Luke Cage had Eazy Rawlins style of novels.

What did Iron Fist do? Not Chinese Swordsman stories.

Nor was it the Shonen power up action.

They did corrupt business/dysfunctional family drama with conspiracy stuff thrown in.

Pretty anything you might have wanted to see in a Iron Fist story you weren't getting even if that dude could do credible fight scenes.
    Yeah... whoever decided, "Let's center a character whos background is being in an isolated fictional kung fu city who punched a dragon in the heart to get the power of a super fist and fights ninja threats around cooperate family drama with a dash of shitty fight scenes!"

... prolly shouldn't work on TV shows anymore.

IF never had a chance. The dude simply isn't street level like the other three are and can't be done on those limited budgets. the Shang movie is gonna show us what IF should have been.

If they wanted him to fit in with the Defenders... he probably should have been re-imagined as a legendary hunter of The Hand and was in Hell's Kitchen because The Hand were up to something big. So he would have been the "veteran" of the group, who gets the other NYC street level heroes together to stop the Hand.

And then because he likes them, especially Luke, he sticks around for a bit.

They should have never used IF in the beginning and just stuck with The Punisher.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Yeah... whoever decided, "Let's center a character whos background is being in an isolated fictional kung fu city who punched a dragon in the heart to get the power of a super fist and fights ninja threats around cooperate family drama with a dash of shitty fight scenes!"
    That would be Scott Buck. He's responsible for producing Dexter, so I guess that generated enough good faith to give him both Iron Fist and Inhumans.

... prolly shouldn't work on TV shows anymore.
    Well...he doesn't have anything past Inhumans so...

IF never had a chance. The dude simply isn't street level like the other three are and can't be done on those limited budgets. the Shang movie is gonna show us what IF should have been.

If they wanted him to fit in with the Defenders... he probably should have been re-imagined as a legendary hunter of The Hand and was in Hell's Kitchen because The Hand were up to something big. So he would have been the "veteran" of the group, who gets the other NYC street level heroes together to stop the Hand.

And then because he likes them, especially Luke, he sticks around for a bit.

They should have never used IF in the beginning and just stuck with The Punisher.
    I felt like season 2 was kinda where it should have been all along. The corporate stuff should have been in the background just to explain why he doesn't have to worry about money. But dealing with mystical threats in an urban environment should have been his angle. It felt weird (though cool) in Daredevil (the whole Madame Gao force push) but would have been right at home with Danny.

Iron Fist needed to be a Buffy style urban fantasy on another network with a bigger budget. It would've played to his strengths better. You could do an episode where Jeri is haunted by her ex-lover and Danny recognized her as a "Hungry Ghost". Or you could give him villians like Silvermane and the Hood- human villians that uses supernatural means to achieve an understandable goal.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 07-20-2020 at 08:31 AM.