Page 368 of 824 FirstFirst ... 268318358364365366367368369370371372378418468 ... LastLast
Results 5,506 to 5,520 of 12354
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    You know as one of the few black people that likes sci-fi and fantasy (supposedly) man watching shows like Locke and Key, the librarians, and Altered Carbon s1 really makes me sad that we still don't have a lot of black led adventure shows. It's part of the reason why I always liked Will Smith movies even if they weren't that great. He was the only one doing those fantasy adventure black movies without a gang related or urban setting story. Even wild west as bad as it was is something different.

It's why I hope Ryan Coogler keeps making his type of movies. I'm even excited for space jam 2 just because it's not the usual movie we have for us. The last kid friendly black led movie we had was into the spiderverse and before that I can't even name one. I'm also hoping his movies lead to more people not being afraid of a black led movie and worrying about getting forced a racial history lesson.
    I agree.

Personally, I’d like to see a lot more “Afro-futurism” on the screen. It doesn’t have to be about racism but just showing sci-fi inspired by African myths and borrows some of the ideology.

Kind of like how Dragon Ball or God of High School lull from various Eastern mythologies and wraps it up in crazy sci-fi/fantasy stuff.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    You know as one of the few black people that likes sci-fi and fantasy (supposedly) man watching shows like Locke and Key, the librarians, and Altered Carbon s1 really makes me sad that we still don't have a lot of black led adventure shows. It's part of the reason why I always liked Will Smith movies even if they weren't that great. He was the only one doing those fantasy adventure black movies without a gang related or urban setting story. Even wild west as bad as it was is something different.
    The issue is you are still dealing with the same folks who will say "do black folks really do that? Have those type of adventures?" Meanwhile I can go to the library and see TONS of those books not just by black folks but white folks too.

https://arcadelivingston.com/

Former NFL Rashad Jennings has done a 4 book (4th book comes out next month) series with a black boy in a Dr Who type series.

There is another one-about a boy who tries to stop from becoming a troll.

It's why I hope Ryan Coogler keeps making his type of movies. I'm even excited for space jam 2 just because it's not the usual movie we have for us. The last kid friendly black led movie we had was into the spiderverse and before that I can't even name one. I'm also hoping his movies lead to more people not being afraid of a black led movie and worrying about getting forced a racial history lesson.
    Maybe and I do mean MAYBE- Up Up and Away with the MIA Michael Pagan and the late Sherman Hemsley.
    Or Jump In with Corbin Bleu.
    Or Let it Shine with Tyler James Williams.
    I want to say there is one on Netflix with the youngest son from Blackish.
    Heck the ones I am thinking of are either on Netflix, Disney Channel or HUlu.

Before them Cop & a Half & Space Jam 1.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The issue is you are still dealing with the same folks who will say "do black folks really do that? Have those type of adventures?" Meanwhile I can go to the library and see TONS of those books not just by black folks but white folks too.

https://arcadelivingston.com/

Former NFL Rashad Jennings has done a 4 book (4th book comes out next month) series with a black boy in a Dr Who type series.

There is another one-about a boy who tries to stop from becoming a troll.

Maybe and I do mean MAYBE- Up Up and Away with the MIA Michael Pagan and the late Sherman Hemsley.
    Or Jump In with Corbin Bleu.
    Or Let it Shine with Tyler James Williams.
    I want to say there is one on Netflix with the youngest son from Blackish.
    Heck the ones I am thinking of are either on Netflix, Disney Channel or HUlu.

Before them Cop & a Half & Space Jam 1.
    That sounds cool actually.

Anyone remember Taina? (I don't because I never watched it). Anyway, here's a video comparing it and Victorious.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Anyone remember Taina? (I don't because I never watched it). Anyway, here's a video comparing it and Victorious.
    Yes I do.

The show got axed for a STUPID reason-"they thought the show only appealed to GIRLS". Gee where have I heard that before???

A case could be made however aside from both attending a music arts school-they are not the same. Both shows had different creators.

Taina-you saw more of the parents of the lead than the other show.

Yes I do.

The show got axed for a STUPID reason-"they thought the show only appealed to GIRLS". Gee where have I heard that before???

A case could be made however aside from both attending a music arts school-they are not the same. Both shows had different creators.

Taina-you saw more of the parents of the lead than the other show.
    That doesn't surprise me since Taina isn't a Dan Schneider show.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I agree.

Personally, I’d like to see a lot more “Afro-futurism” on the screen. It doesn’t have to be about racism but just showing sci-fi inspired by African myths and borrows some of the ideology.

Kind of like how Dragon Ball or God of High School lull from various Eastern mythologies and wraps it up in crazy sci-fi/fantasy stuff.
    For those interested ...

Black lead SciFi

American Gods

Sleepy hollow seroes

Star trek discovery

Watchmen series

Star trek deep space nine

Extant series starring Halle Berry

Snowpiercer series

Black mirror

Altered carbon sn2

Black lightning

Predator 2

Event Horizon

Blade trilogy

M.A.N.T.I S

The Innocents

Nightflyers

Notice that none of Will Smiths SciFi was added.

What are y'all thoughts on any of the above that you have watched?

If u have more additions, please share.

Mighty Member

I wish folks who hate Marvel movies just admit to it.
    I wish folks who hate Disney will just admit to it.

Instead of making up crap.

The job of a movie is to make money and be entertaining not be some artistic classic.

And NOT compare Black Panther to Poetic Justice and Black Klansman saying those movies are more original than Black Panther and say Marvel should hire 50 Cent to save the MCU.

The same 50 Cent who has ONE hit movie as a producer.
    50 cent doesn't need and should do movies....he is killing it in TV .

The Power tv series has about 4 or 5 spin-offs coming soon.

And his other show "For Life" is legit brilliant.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    For those interested ...

Black lead SciFi

American Gods

Sleepy hollow seroes

Star trek discovery

Watchmen series

Star trek deep space nine

Extant series starring Halle Berry

Snowpiercer series

Black mirror

Altered carbon sn2

Black lightning

Predator 2

Event Horizon

Blade trilogy

M.A.N.T.I S

The Innocents

Nightflyers

Notice that none of Will Smiths SciFi was added.

What are y'all thoughts on any of the above that you have watched?

If u have more additions, please share.
    Sleeping hollow was great in the first season. We had two black characters dealing with supernatural happenings, stuff that we rarely get to be the main leads in.

Black Lightning was alright, but I'm slowly falling off of it. I dont why, but it feels really dry compared to the adventure in legends, flash, and even arrow to some extent. I think it's trying to be more grounded but it feels to much like luke cage.

Blade 1 was great, but 2 and 3 felt like the were trying to take the attention away from blade.

I don't know if I count black mirror since that is an anthology (is that the right word?)

American gods was good, but they fired Orlando Jones for being a good actor (it's really hard to say he wasn't fired for being black.)

And speaking of Will Smith

'Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' Drama Reboot in the Works

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-works-1306799

Ultimate Member

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/stat...58611989016577

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pedroda.../#292d2ef04310

Nearly half of Black small businesses had been wiped out by the end of April as the pandemic ravaged minority communities disproportionately, according to a report from the New York Fed.

Black-owned businesses were more than twice as likely to shutter as their white counterparts, the report found.

"Nationally representative data on small businesses indicate that the number of active business owners fell by 22% from February to April 2020—the largest drop on record," the report said.

"Black businesses experienced the most acute decline, with a 41% drop. Latinx business owners fell by 32% and Asian business owners dropped by 26%."
    Q Why the specific focus on black small businesses as opposed to small businesses in general?

Hi, white-owned small business here. The SBA and my state's economic recovery funds are bailing us out.

GUESS WHO'S NOT GETTING BAILOUTS.

Ultimate Member

Ultimate Member

Ancient sub-saharan Africans already had mathematics.

Ultimate Member

And yet many people of color don't see anything wrong with this situation and continue to support this injustice.

In minority comic news

empyre spoilers

spoilers:
    T'challa was killed.

There are some heavy hints it might be a fake out but as of now he is dead. First time he's been killed if it sticks. really unceremoniously took. Quick stab to the heart and kicked down the stairs and called an animal (come on editors lol)
    end of spoilers
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html