Page 377 of 828 FirstFirst ... 277327367373374375376377378379380381387427477 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,655 of 12407

In this article I wrote about Jewish comic characters who should be adapted for video games and brought up Kasper Cole, because a Black Jewish character is something that should be seen more

https://tribeherald.com/we-need-more...-games-part-2/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    In this article I wrote about Jewish comic characters who should be adapted for video games and brought up Kasper Cole, because a Black Jewish character is something that should be seen more

https://tribeherald.com/we-need-more...-games-part-2/
    Kasper Cole is still one of my favorite Black Panther Verse and legacy hero characters from Marvel!

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    For you 80s dystopian future action/scifi junkies, have you checked out Huntdown yet?

This looks amazing. My only complaint is that the mooks like a little dull. Some Akira-style mutations would this game really well.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

The Take examines the model minority depiction of Asian-Americans and how it obscures the racism Asian-Americans face in an 18 minute video . It also examines the origins of this trope and how newer Asian characters are bucking it.
    I've had to explain this issue to some posters on the politics forum. Some don't seem to understand that it even paints Asian-Americans with a very broad stroke and has very insidious roots.

They don't seem to understand that this was deliberately created to further justify past governments racist actions against African-Americans. They're actually doing it with Nigerians and Ghanians in America.
    Last edited by Username taken; 08-24-2020 at 11:17 PM.

For you 80s dystopian future action/scifi junkies, have you checked out Huntdown yet?

I had never even heard about this game. That trailer is amazing! Definitely gonna check it out.

I did a review of Huntdown a while back if anyone is interested

https://realotakugamer.com/fighting-...untdown-review

Marvel's Voices Expands with 'Marvel's Voices: Indigenous Voices' #1

This November, Marvel celebrates Indigenous history with a landmark special, MARVEL’S VOICES: INDIGENOUS VOICES #1, written and drawn by some of the industry’s most renowned Indigenous talent along with talents making their Marvel Comics debut! Celebrated writer and artist Jeffrey Veregge, who just wrapped up his exhibition Jeffrey Veregge: Of Gods and Heroes at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of the American Indian, is leading this book alongside a team of acclaimed creators to explore the legacy and experiences of Marvel’s incredible cast of Indigenous characters.
    Hugo, Nebula, and Locus-award winning Black/Ohkay Owingeh writer Rebecca Roanhorse and Tongva artist Weshoyot Alvitre tell an Echo tale like none before as she is set to play a critical role in Marvel Comics. Geoscientist and Lipan Apache writer Darcie Little Badger joins acclaimed Whitefish Lake First Nation artist Kyle Charles for a Dani Moonstar story where she will face the crucial question of what her Indigenous heritage means in the new era of mutantkind. And Bram Stoker-winning horror writer Stephen Graham Jones of the Blackfeet Nation teams up with Qalipu Mi’kmaq First Nation artist David Cutler to revisit one of the darkest spots of X-Men history!
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...igenous-voices

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I've had to explain this issue to some posters on the politics forum. Some don't seem to understand that it even paints Asian-Americans with a very broad stroke and has very insidious roots.

They don't seem to understand that this was deliberately created to further justify past governments racist actions against African-Americans. They're actually doing it with Nigerians and Ghanians in America.
    It happens with my people too, on occasion. I mean, how much of a leap is it to go from "Jews are good at math," to "Jews are good with money," to "Jews control all the money?"
    Watching television is not an activity.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    This looks amazing. My only complaint is that the mooks like a little dull. Some Akira-style mutations would this game really well.
    A crazy mashup of Escape From New York, Blade Runner, Terminator and The Warriors is how it’s looking, judging from the trailer alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    I did a review of Huntdown a while back if anyone is interested

https://realotakugamer.com/fighting-...untdown-review
    Sounds like a good time. And I’m surprised that the mechanics are deeper than one would assume at first glance. Sounds like it’s what Contra would’ve been if more capable hands had evolved the franchise.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 08-25-2020 at 09:16 AM.

This is an odd question, but does anyone know offhand all of the celebrity deaths or bad events that happened to celebrities just days prior to an awards ceremony? Perhaps dating back to 2008?

So far I can think of these:

Rihanna incident: 2008, a few days (hours?) before Grammys

Whitney Houston passes: 2012, a few days (hours)? before Grammys

Kobe Bryant passes: 2020, a few days before Grammys
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 08-25-2020 at 02:54 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Sounds like a good time. And I’m surprised that the mechanics are deeper than one would assume at first glance. Sounds like it’s what Contra would’ve been if more capable hands had evolved the franchise.
    No love for Contra 3, Contra 4, Contra: Shattered Soldier, or Contra: Hard Corps?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    This is an odd question, but does anyone know offhand all of the celebrity deaths or bad events that happened to celebrities just days prior to an awards ceremony? Perhaps dating back to 2008?

So far I can think of these:

Rihanna incident: 2008, a few days (hours?) before Grammys

Whitney Houston passes: 2012, a few days (hours)? before Grammys

Kobe Bryant passes: 2020, a few days before Grammys
    Not an awards ceremony but Tupac was shot dead after a boxing match.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

The Take examines the model minority depiction of Asian-Americans and how it obscures the racism Asian-Americans face in an 18 minute video . It also examines the origins of this trope and how newer Asian characters are bucking it.
    I'm glad they were able to put this in some historical/current political context. Because the model minority is recent stereotype and it is used against black people. They mentioned the immigration act of 1965, but that was a correction on laws that went back towards the end of the 19th century where they tried to keep Asians out of America. And I'm old enuff to remember the 80's when a lot of what Trump says about Mexicans etc, folks were saying about Asians...they're dirty and they're going to steal our jobs, etc. Now we see some Asian doctors and whenever a black person complains about racism somebody's like, "Well, look at the Asians. They worked hard and succeeded! You people can do it too!" I'm like. "Yes! We have black doctors and lawyers too, yet racism still exists!"

From https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-new-muta...s-a-1844806878
    "io9: We’ve got to talk about the criticisms that have been leveled against the film for casting Henry Zaga to play Roberto, a character who’s Afro-Brazilian in the comics, originally read as Black, and whose origins do touch upon anti-Black racism in Brazil. I suppose my first question’s: do you get where that criticism came from?

Boone: You won’t have any argument from me. It’s like my thing was my goal was to cast a real Brazilian and I saw 300 of myself black, brown, lighter-skinned. I saw every shade of the sun. It was the same case with Blu Hunt. It’s like we looked at 300 Native American people and people very close ties to the Native American community. My goal was to find the best actor who, because they’ve done so little work, was at least the closest to kind of what I saw in my head for the character. There was nobody who hold a candle to Henry. It’s like maybe if Henry didn’t exist, I would have found somebody who was darker skinned who exemplified what I needed. But it was never about the color of their skin for me.

io9: Did that just not fit into your vision for Roberto’s story in the film?

Boone: I didn’t care so much about the racism I’ve heard about in Brazil, about light-skinned versus dark-skinned. To me, it was I wanted to represent Brazil in a positive way and I wanted to find somebody who seems like he could look like a guy who’s had the silver spoon in his mouth, who has like a really rich dad and [Henry] just exemplified all these things.

Henry’s such a dedicated performer and you can see it in her performance on The Stand where he’s playing someone who can neither speak nor hear, and he put so much time into learning sign language and spending time learning from deaf people was just great. He’s a beyond reproach human being, and I sort of defy anybody who wants to say that Henry’s not a good Roberto simply because he’s lighter-skinned."

Why this franchise will continue to fail, Looking forward to this movie bombing/underperforming

His character introduction is literally about racism in Brazil.

But you know that's just ancillary.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum