Page 383 of 827 FirstFirst ... 283333373379380381382383384385386387393433483 ... LastLast
Results 5,731 to 5,745 of 12392
    Astonishing Member

This outta be a fun read! I wonder which characters of color will be included? Will it just be the "oldtimers" or will any of the newcomers have spot in the story?
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 09-03-2020 at 11:24 PM.

Jessica Krug, a white Jewish writer, has been revealed to be lying about being a black woman for much of her adult life.

https://www.theroot.com/a-white-woma...-fo-1844947838
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-03-2020 at 08:57 PM.

People have been talking about BumbleBee in Dc Superhero Girls how she in lighter and wavy hair instead of darker and more afro like her own versions.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    WB/DC did speak out against the online hate Anna Diop got and at least two of her co-stars defended her.
    I honestly don't remember this.

I remember Anna Diop defending herself on social media against the abuse.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    That is what the MCU is for lol

Well, that is what Black Panther is for. Or was. Who the hell knows now.

Made money, sure. But you could just have Han and Luke doing the salsa for 2 hours and TFA would have made money lol

Match EXPECTED money made? Not even close. The ending trilogy made HALF of TFA. The ending move made less than the second one. Solo bombed hardcore and was a cluster from the beginning production wise. Rogue 1 was a cluster production wise but pulled it together.

RoS barely made more money than Rogue 1 for godsake.

TLJ sucked lol
    As much as I've defended the sequel trilogy from the "anti-SJW" crowd, The Last Jedi sucked.

The greatest problem with the sequel trilogy was Lucasfilm/Disney didn't have a laid down story for the movies.

As someone pointed out, Lando managed to have a complete arc in just TWO movies.

Honestly, they should let the Marvel studios take a crack at Star Wars. The Lucasfilm guys don't have their act together.

Invincible Member

Unpopular Take: Although I agree with what most people here say about Finn's character getting a raw deal and I feel that they should have trimmed about 30 min s from it, The Last Jedi is actually a pretty decent film.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I honestly don't remember this.

I remember Anna Diop defending herself on social media against the abuse.
    The Titans twitter site did have a tweet condemning it but now that I think about it, maybe that isn't officially by WB so I could have made the mistake.

Well at least some people stuck up for Diop.

Ultimate Member

The Titans twitter site did have a tweet condemning it but now that I think about it, maybe that isn't officially by WB so I could have made the mistake.

Well at least some people stuck up for Diop.
    I'm not surprised because these big companies tend to keep silent about stuff like this.

I would argue that **** like "comicsgate" became as problematic as it was because major comic companies kept quiet. It's only guys like Mark Waid (outside a lot of minority creators) that engaged comicsgate (but the less said about the fallout the better because its gotten very, very ugly). I think there was even some controversy with a Boom! studios creator that complained about the lack of protection

From my own estimation, it's just in the last year and a half or so that creators started speaking out against the online hate. Although, engaging some of these idiots can be a waste of time because some of these guys are the same clowns that never realized that a band like "Rage against the Machine" has always been political.
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-04-2020 at 12:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Yeah, even hearing this, I can't really picture John Stewart not being contemporary in age with Hal and Guy.
    Part of it stems from writers putting the character through one dark story after another, with very little room for any lasting semblance of happiness.

Plus, writers don't consistently put a lot of energy into the character.

After Steve Englehart stopped writing the character, Stewart became the "f**k-up Lantern" compared to the others for the past 30+ years. It only somewhat stopped when John was used in animation. He'd probably still be in a wheelchair if not for the cartoon.

As in real life, living through one bad experience after another will make you seem older.

Also, the DCAU version of John was an older man. He has been a GL for about 15 years before returning to sector 2814, IIRC.

Extraordinary Member

Jessica Krug, a white Jewish writer, has been revealed to be lying about being a black woman for much of her adult life.

https://www.theroot.com/a-white-woma...-fo-1844947838
    LOL, I am not surprised. Rachel Dolezal was not the first, any only person doing this.

I don't want to fully expose myself as a conspiracy nut, but I do believe that secret identities are not relegated to superheroes, serial killers, grifters, bigamists, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    This outta be a fun read! I wonder which characters of color will be included? Will it just be the "oldtimers" or will any of the newcomers have spot in the story?
    So far supposedly spotlighted are Karen and Mal Duncan, Tatsu Yamashiro, Renee Montoya, John Stewart, Thunder & I believe Lightening aswell will be in this.. Also I think he’s re-introducing them back as his daughters in this story finally... Outsiders & JLA are suppose to be in a supporting/cameo role

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    LOL, I am not surprised. Rachel Dolezal was not the first, any only person doing this.

I don't want to fully expose myself as a conspiracy nut, but I do believe that secret identities are not relegated to superheroes, serial killers, grifters, bigamists, etc.
    One guy's take...

Seems like there is something of a vested interest in not really rocking the boat because the things that keep the grifters safe also keep folks that are up to who-knows-what safe as well.

Cuties Director Received Death Threats After Netflix Poster Backlash

When Netflix released the poster and trailer for the French film Cuties, it was heavily criticized, and even petitions were made to have it removed, for the hyper-sexualized way it depicted the child actresses. Following the backlash, people who saw the film back at Sundance spoke about how the poster did not capture the actual themes or story of the film.

However, it was too late for many who claimed the movie was for pedophiles and spread toxic stereotypes about young girls, especially Black girls. The person who received the most harassment, naturally, ended up being the movie’s director Maïmouna Doucouré.

Doucouré received death threats, she told Deadline, and ended up suspending her social media profile. Cuties was Doucouré’s film debut. The director, who is of Senegalese heritage, based it on both her own experiences and interviews she conducted with young girls about their concepts of femininity.

“I really put my heart into this film. It’s actually my personal story as well as the story of many children who have to navigate between a liberal western culture and a conservative culture at home,” Doucouré said. “I wrote this film after I spent a year and a half interviewing pre-adolescent girls, trying to understand their notion of what femininity was, and how social media was affecting this idea.”

Yet that is not what people saw, both on the poster and in the trailer, which did have images of girls dancing in ways people saw as too provocative. Doucouré says that she saw the poster at the same time the American public did because she was focusing on the film’s release in France, where she lives. When the messages on social media started, that is when she saw what was going on.

“I received numerous attacks on my character from people who had not seen the film, who thought I was actually making a film that was apologetic about hypersexualiation of children,” she explained. “I also received numerous death threats.”
    https://www.themarysue.com/cuties-di...ster-backlash/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Part of it stems from writers putting the character through one dark story after another, with very little room for any lasting semblance of happiness.

Plus, writers don't consistently put a lot of energy into the character.

After Steve Englehart stopped writing the character, Stewart became the "f**k-up Lantern" compared to the others for the past 30+ years. It only somewhat stopped when John was used in animation. He'd probably still be in a wheelchair if not for the cartoon.

As in real life, living through one bad experience after another will make you seem older.

Also, the DCAU version of John was an older man. He has been a GL for about 15 years before returning to sector 2814, IIRC.
    Despite not following JL/JLU ('cause I wasn't into comics and DC back then, except Batman Beyond, and whatever cameos that happened in Static Shock), I guess their older John take just stuck with me, and not necessarily due to all the rapid-fire stress and trauma his comics self had ended up going through.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    So far supposedly spotlighted are Karen and Mal Duncan, Tatsu Yamashiro, Renee Montoya, John Stewart, Thunder & I believe Lightening aswell will be in this.. Also I think he’s re-introducing them back as his daughters in this story finally... Outsiders & JLA are suppose to be in a supporting/cameo role
    Ah, okay. So "old-timers" it is. Though outside of Karen and Mal, seems like most of the picks are expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm not surprised because these big companies tend to keep silent about stuff like this.

I would argue that **** like "comicsgate" became as problematic as it was because major comic companies kept quiet. It's only guys like Mark Waid (outside a lot of minority creators) that engaged comicsgate (but the less said about the fallout the better because its gotten very, very ugly). I think there was even some controversy with a Boom! studios creator that complained about the lack of protection

From my own estimation, it's just in the last year and a half or so that creators started speaking out against the online hate. Although, engaging some of these idiots can be a waste of time because some of these guys are the same clowns that never realized that a band like "Rage against the Machine" has always been political.
    In my opinion, it should not be the company's job to tell fans to behave themselves. Then again, in an ideal world fans wouldn't act like this.