Page 4 of 824 FirstFirst 123456781454104504 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Hollywood shows a lot of things about prostitutes that aren't necessarily the reality.

Thus outfit wouldn't exactly be out of place on a show like Empire or Ugly Betty and I highly doubt we'd be saying this about her if she weren't played by a black woman.

And really if this look screams "prostitute" what the hell would you say about comic Kory's outfit?
    Are you even reading this? It's not the rest of the costume that is problematic, it's just the coat.

Reality isn't even relevant here. We're not dealing with reality, we're talking about what a fictional character in a fictional setting is wearing. Which is the Hollywood dress uniform of sex workers.

Sexy dresses just mean 'female'. Fur coats on women who aren't standing in the snow mean prostitute. The race of the character is not a factor here.

Last edited by Carabas; 08-07-2018 at 11:20 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Sounds like subscribing to the tradition of tropes over anything else to be honest. Critically, Comic Book Starfire looks way more provocative than her design in the tv show. But the brainwashing of the media has warped concepts to what we see above.

With that said, definitely agree with TheMarySue this rings as another case of slut shaming as well, but this is America where violence is encourage over sexuality so this is nothing new. I'm pretty sure the tv show will have folks getting stabbed, punched, shot and etc but you best believe you're only getting a shadow of a butt cheek if they do a Starfire shower scene.
    It's not about showing skin, I'd argue that an actual bikini would have been less provocative ( at least among comics fans). I get that the TV producers wanted to have he look like a hot girl going to a night club, but what they came up with is tacky and yeah...looks like something you'd see a streetwalker or a "fallen" woman wearing on an old cop shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Are you even reading this? It's not the rest of the costume that is problematic, it's just the coat.
    That's not what the people criticizing it are saying.

Sexy dresses just mean 'female'. Fur coats on women who aren't standing in the snow mean prostitute. The race of the character is not a factor here.
    And again, that is not always the case

I mean no one calls Cruella de Ville in Once Upon A Time a prostitute

As for race not being a factor, I think the actress would disagree with you on that.

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/27/176189...cism-anna-diop

BANNED

[QUOTE=Agent Z;3832923]

Yes, the fictional very rich also get to wear fur coats, especially if they're evil. Not really disproving my point.

As for race not being a factor, I think the actress would disagree with you on that.

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/27/176189...cism-anna-diop
    Well, yes.
    But racist asshats not being okay with Starfire being played by a non-white actor is not related to the fur coat making her look like a sex worker. If you put that exact same outfit on Melissa Benoist, with or without wig, it would make her look like a sex worker too.

Yes, the fictional very rich also get to wear fur coats, especially if they're evil. Not really disproving my point.
    Um, what

Well, yes.
    But racist asshats not being okay with Starfire being played by a non-white actor is not related to the fur coat making her look like a sex worker. If you put that exact same outfit on Melissa Benoist, with or without wig, it would make her look like a sex worker too.

It’s an outfit she’s wearing to a 70s themed party. As I said, what Hollywood presents about sex workers and what sex workers actually are like are two very different things.

BANNED

It’s an outfit she’s wearing to a 70s themed party.
    This is new information to me. I don't see how it matters though.

As I said, what Hollywood presents about sex workers and what sex workers actually are like are two very different things.
    No real sex workers are involved in this. I do not understand why you keep getting to that.
    And how is what Hollywood presents about sex workers not relevant to how a character in a tv show looks?

I think the streetwalker in the fur coat is nearly as dated an image as the pimp in the superfly suit. A tv show could put a character in a fur coat to communicate she's a sex worker, but for a story set in the modern day, that would be skirting some pretty cheesy territory. Not saying I'm a fan of Starfire's look from the show, but I can see how, in-world, it's meant to look more like dress-up or a costume, than like a sex worker. Because, you wouldn't really think "sex worker" if you saw someone dressed like that walking down the street, in today's world.

Yeah yeah, Hollywood tropes ... it's a pretty dated trope is the point, though. Enough so someone dressed like that looks like they're wearing the Hollywood costume, more than anything else. And guessing that's what the show's designers were going for.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Power rangers 2017 is getting a sequel

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/p...in-development

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Power rangers 2017 is getting a sequel

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/p...in-development
    I hope that's true! I loved the first one and woulf love to see a sequel adapt the Green Ranger storyline.

Plus more Becky G is a good thing! Ahha
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

This is new information to me. I don't see how it matters though.

No real sex workers are involved in this. I do not understand why you keep getting to that.
    And how is what Hollywood presents about sex workers not relevant to how a character in a tv show looks?
    It isn’t because this look has been worn by characters that aren’t prostitutes and no one has called them such. Yet a black woman wears it and she’s compared to a sex worker.

I believe that may be because Cruella predates the visual trend that we are discussing.

Could be wrong, but that's how it seems to me.

Never mind that the instance we are discussing was not worn along with an evening gown of that length. If she was wearing that? Probably nothing gets said.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 08-08-2018 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Interview with Robert Townsend where he talks about the legacy of Meteor Man. He's also gonna be directing an episode of Black Lighting (as well as guest-starring) this season.
    Too cool I love to see a Meteor Man sequel or him to do another superhero movie that's similar or less light-hearted reboot of Up, Up and Away.

It isn’t because this look has been worn by characters that aren’t prostitutes and no one has called them such. Yet a black woman wears it and she’s compared to a sex worker.
    I don't believe this to be true at all.

If some random show posted a picture of a chick on the street dressed in hollywood stereotypical sex worker fur coat garb, with no context whatsoever, the internet would go, "thats a hoe" rather quickly.

Hollywood has its costume tropes. If some random picture showed up with some white guy in a suit with hair slicked back looking like a douschebag trump, the world would go, "hey, that's the bad guy!"

There is more than one thing going on that is getting jumbled into one argument.

1. People are treating this actor like **** because she is black. This is true, no one is arguing that point here. comic fans are the worst and racist comic fans are the worst of the worst.

2. People are calling her outfit prostituteish because she is black. I don't agree with that at all. It is because she looks like how HOLLYWOOD (important distinction) portrays a prostitute in a fur coat and dress.

Frankly, #2 is all DC's fault. They should have never tried to adapt that shitty comic costume into live action on a shitty budget and then turn around and release a shitty photo without taking a step back and going, "yo this is going to be taken wrong."
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

While I'm not proud of this, I've certainly done it.

Jared Leto/Dallas Buyer's Club. First place my mind went was "That character is probably a sex worker."

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I hope that's true! I loved the first one and woulf love to see a sequel adapt the Green Ranger storyline.

Plus more Becky G is a good thing! Ahha
    And more of RJ Cyler!

I mentioned this before but both myself and my cousin's son ( whom I call my nephew) are on the spectrum and seeing a positive portrayal like that of someone with Autism really meant a lot to us.