Page 404 of 828 FirstFirst ... 304354394400401402403404405406407408414454504 ... LastLast
Results 6,046 to 6,060 of 12408
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    Does anyone know any Romani character represented in comics (aside from the 'gypsy' tropes)?
    Perhaps Dick Grayson?

I really wish Marvel just let Sony have Spider-Man.

This seems so dumb. All this modification to something that worked just for one character who wasn't needed at all.

It isn't like Foxx was iconic in the role... why not just recast? I am so confused here.

I feel like the door opening to his multiverse stuff is doing to make the MCU over complicated for no real reason. One of hte beauties of it was that it wasn't complicated. It was rather streamlined.

They are gonna ride this multiverse thing all the way huh? Wanda messing with stuff in Wandavision. Dr Strange is all about it. Kang for Ant-Man three. Whatever MCU is building to this time is gonna be legendary or a complete complicated cluster lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/blac...os-movie-news/

Yesterday, it was announced that the comic book superhero series Black created by Kwanza Osajyefo and Tim Smith 3, set in a world in which only Black people are developing superpowers, had been picked up by Warner Bros as a movie, with a script written by Batman And The Outsiders writer Bryan Edward Hill.

The publosher had a fair few first printings and variants of the series on their website – but they are all gone now. And eBay is picking up the slack. Here are some recent sales:

Black #1 Standard cover – $50
    Standard cover CGC 9.8 $100
    Standard cover CGC 9.8 Signed $200
    Black #1 Variant cover – $30
    Variant cover CGC 9.8 – $120
    Variant cover CGC 9.8 Signed – $200
    Fried Pie Variant – $100
    Limited Variant – $125
    Black #1 Cape & Cowl Variant $60
    Black #1 Ashley Woods Variant $26

These are all sales from yesterday. Until then, the most recent sales on eBay was for#1-6 for $15.

To think I found the uncensored cover at Half Price Books for $3 last year.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I really wish Marvel just let Sony have Spider-Man.

This seems so dumb. All this modification to something that worked just for one character who wasn't needed at all.

It isn't like Foxx was iconic in the role... why not just recast? I am so confused here.

I feel like the door opening to his multiverse stuff is doing to make the MCU over complicated for no real reason. One of hte beauties of it was that it wasn't complicated. It was rather streamlined.

They are gonna ride this multiverse thing all the way huh? Wanda messing with stuff in Wandavision. Dr Strange is all about it. Kang for Ant-Man three. Whatever MCU is building to this time is gonna be legendary or a complete complicated cluster lol
    Where else could they go after Thanos? This whole thing could be leading up to secret wars, lord have mercy on us all. The X-men are going to be grandfathered in somehow, the FF, trapped in the negative zone until some cosmic shenanagains releases them probably.

Ultimate Member

I honestly don't even know what to make of Jaime Foxx coming back as Electro.

On the one hand, Foxx NEVER, EVER phones in performances. He's just had some bad scripts but he commits to everything he does.

But the casting is becoming confusing because JK Simmons is back as J.Jonah Jameson and with Jaime Foxx coming back, that's the actors playing characters from previous Spider-man iterations.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

On the one hand, Foxx NEVER, EVER phones in performances. He's just had some bad scripts but he commits to everything he does.

But the casting is becoming confusing because JK Simmons is back as J.Jonah Jameson and with Jaime Foxx coming back, that's the actors playing characters from previous Spider-man iterations.
    I think they are doing it because of their extended Sonyverse. Foxx is one of their bankable stars and can come back for a Sinister Six movie. It gives their universe added legitimacy if they can muddy the waters of their continuity.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

If you trying to bring in Miles Morales let alone Gwen Stacy as Spider whatever she goes by. You are going to see stuff like this.

Also we don't know what else happened or who else came back after teh snap was undone.

Where else could they go after Thanos? This whole thing could be leading up to secret wars, lord have mercy on us all. The X-men are going to be grandfathered in somehow, the FF, trapped in the negative zone until some cosmic shenanagains releases them probably.
    Unicron..I mean Galactus can't be that busy.

Or.........

Black Panther: Oh look Shuri the guys that got WHOOP by Danny Glover and California's former governoer are here.
    Shuri: Can we for ONCE not be the place to get invade? Thanos and now Predators.

Shuri: What do you want me to do with this chestbuster??
    Black Panther: What's Coates address again? Or that bat guy in Gotham.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Who makes these casting decisions in the first place? Last I checked they were mainly whites. Since you're so steamed about this nerd injustice why don't you and fans like you ever complain to them?

Every time a Black character shows up there's some BS excuse as to why they shouldn't be there. Thor in Norse myth is described as a red-haired hairy man with a big beard and yet in Marvel he's blonde haired and blue-eyed but I notice the same ones who cried about Heimdall never brought that up. Wonder why...

P.S take the mask off you're really bad at pretending to be Black.

You know what? Last line was wrong on my part. For that I am sorry. Have run into posters on other forums who said stuff like blacks and once you checked their post history it became quite obvious that they were hiding behind a mask. But in this case haven't seen anything suspicious.

I still don't agree with Besouro because overwhelmingly the norm is to replace characters (or real people) who were previously Black or Asian (most common examples I've seen) with white ones. I'm not a fan of racebending though when there are legacy characters or original ones that can be used instead. But in the case of Heimdall the only people I remember complaining about it did not practice neopagan religions like Astaru and never bothered to watch that Thor movie.
    Wow....comparing race to hair color. Ahahaha!!!!

Whaaaat!!!!! Lolol!!!

Esp for the only race on the planet with the widest variety of hair and eyes colors. Lol.

So according to u it is sooo difficult to imagine a red haired white god as blonde ....both red and blonde being NATURAL hair colors of white.

But it's ok with u for a white European god to be black african???

Heimdall was not an illusionist or shapeshifter so how t.f is he black????

Which native European has ever been black African?

Mighty Member

And yes...I AM BLACK OF AFRICAN DESCENT FROM BOTH PARENTS FROM EAST AFRICA.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    And yes...I AM BLACK OF AFRICAN DESCENT FROM BOTH PARENTS FROM EAST AFRICA.
    Why do you care then? I'm African too but the racebending of characters in Hollywood has always been in the past and the present about monetary reasons. This is a calculation made by movie studios outside the target audience to make a product appealing to everyone. You have the right to see it as a negative but majority won't and that is ok. The target audience is not Africans but Africans can certainly consume it and vicariously enjoy media targeted to AA but it's really made primarily to appeal to an American audience. Sci-fi, fantasy films in Hollywood, will hopefully henceforth be having an inclusive casting policy regardless. Either get with the program or just stop bothering ppl with your perspectives.
    Last edited by Tofali; 10-02-2020 at 08:36 PM.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Wow....comparing race to hair color. Ahahaha!!!!

Whaaaat!!!!! Lolol!!!

Esp for the only race on the planet with the widest variety of hair and eyes colors. Lol.

So according to u it is sooo difficult to imagine a red haired white god as blonde ....both red and blonde being NATURAL hair colors of white.

But it's ok with u for a white European god to be black african???

Heimdall was not an illusionist or shapeshifter so how t.f is he black????

Which native European has ever been black African?

I never made any comparison to race and hair color. The point I made is that the Marvel version of Thor has little to do with how Thor is in the original Norse myths. The same people complaining about accuracy or authenticity for a children's character never had anything to say about that and yet complained about Heimdall being played by Idris Elba.

If you're just going to ignore what I put out there, don't bother responding.

Adult Swim "retires" episodes of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Boondocks due to "cultural sensitivities"

Very little gets past Redittors. A recent example of this happened recently when a few users shared that they were having trouble finding season six episode of Adult Swim’s Aqua Teen Hunger Force from 2009, “Shake Like Me.” Others noted that they couldn’t locate season three episode of The Boondocks, “The Story Of Jimmy Rebel.” But don’t worry. According to The Daily Beast, reps from Adult Swim want to assure everyone that these episodes are “permanently retired” on a nice farm with a big, grassy lawn, where they can frolic with the other episodes of television that have been deemed culturally insensitive.

The two missing episodes in question share a common thread: They both relied on anti-Black ideology for chuckles, as is the case with a lot of past comedy (sometimes for satirical purposes, sometimes due to a lack of creativity and just being good old fashion racists). In “Shake Like Me”—a title that signals John Howard Griffin’s Black Like Me, Shake is bitten by a radioactive Black man and turns “stereotypically” Black, complete with darkened skin, big lips, a chain, and an afro. Aaron Mc Gruder’s The Boondocks featured the character Uncle Ruckus, a self-hating Black man who proudly spewed gross, racist rhetoric throughout the entirety of the series. But in “The Story Of Jimmy Rebel,” he links with an equally proud racist country star who sets his overt anti-Blackness to music, which goes a smidge too far, apparently.

Both were considered perfectly acceptable when they originally aired, but now that the entertainment industry is continuing to (kind of) contend with its racist roots, they’re being quietly removed in between platform onboarding with no plans to return to the masses. “When Adult Swim transitions series to a new platform, we determine what episodes are selected through creative and cultural filters and our standards and practices policies,” an Adult Swim rep told The Daily Beast. “Oftentimes these decisions are made in collaboration with the show’s creators.”
    https://news.avclub.com/adult-swim-r...rce-1845228180
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-02-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Astonishing Member

I admit to not holding the strongest sense of grace when it comes to Bryan Edward Hill as a writer after his handling of Duke Thomas/The Signal (and the other Outsiders sans Black Lightning, Batman, and maybe Katana).

But as always, we'll see.

Also, they gonna have to go as hard as the book does to do justice to a narrative as unapologetic in its themes and their delivery as Black is, regardless of the creative team. The OG writers/artists are gonna need to be involved every step of the way

(And dude, please, with that cringey Coates toxicity. )
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 10-02-2020 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Perhaps Dick Grayson?
    Oh I forgot about that!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    Oh I forgot about that!
    While I'm no expert, I imagine that finding Romani and Romani-descent heroes/comic characters that are not "gypsies" or whathaveyou might be hard. Even in Dick Grayson's case, it was a retcon done well after the fact, and prior to the Grayson series, it was never even brought up. And even after, it isn't. How much it informs his character is in question. And the good faith intent of the creative decision in the first place is also in question.

There's also Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, if we go with them being Magneto's children, by way of their mother. But then, that falls into "gypsies" territory, and otherwise runs into the same issues Grayson does. (Then there's the canonicity of the whole thing.)

Alas, I don't have a broad enough comic perspective to be able to tell of anyone else.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 10-03-2020 at 08:40 AM.