Page 405 of 828 FirstFirst ... 305355395401402403404405406407408409415455505 ... LastLast
Results 6,061 to 6,075 of 12408

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    While I'm no expert, I imagine that finding Romani and Romani-descent heroes/comic characters that are "gypsies" or whathaveyou might be hard. Even in Dick Grayson's case, it was a retcon done well after the fact, and it prior to the Grayson series, it was never even brought up. And even after, it isn't. How much it informs his character is in question. And the good faith intent of the creative decision in the first place is also in question.

There's also Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, if we go with them being Magneto's children, by way of their mother. But then, that falls into "gypsies" territory, and otherwise runs into the same issues Grayson does. (Then there's the canonicity of the whole thing.)

Alas, I don't have a broad enough comic perspective to be able to tell of anyone else.
    Yeah, unless there is something that is relatively obscure I can't imagine there being anything, good points by the way

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    Yeah, unless there is something that is relatively obscure I can't imagine there being anything, good points by the way
    Thank you.

And I meant ". . .I imagine that finding Romani and Romani-descent heroes/comic characters that are not 'gypsies' or whathaveyou might be hard," by the way. Sorry if that sentence was unclear.

https://theglowup.theroot.com/ananda...urg-1845255224

Ananda Lewis Reveals She Has Stage 3 Breast Cancer, Urges Mammograms for Early Detection

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post

(And dude, please, with that cringey Coates toxicity. )
    Sorry he was paid to write Black Panther not stealth Storm or Doar books.

Not beat the drum of black men oppress black women nonsense.

Not all black males are toxic nonsense.

Not present a character than panders to Unfans who would cheer if Coates wrote namor flooding Wakanda again and Panther being blamed.

There is a reason that book stopped selling.

Nobody is saying you can't enjoy the book.

But understand if the mess done by Coates was done in other books-he would no longer be on the book.

Look at his Cap America run. Funny all the folks who did holy ghost dances and hyped and tossed out reviews that Panther book before a single issue came out. Were silent on Cap America.

Yet the better book is Cap America.

Ultimate Member

https://shadowandact.com/armelia-mcq...ost-dies-at-68

She was the Queen on Disney Channel's Adventure in Wonderland series.

McQueen's friend Dorian Hannaway confirmed McQueen's passing on Facebook, writing, "You are truly an angel now. My dear friend Armelia crossed over yesterday. She leaves us cherishing her memory as she was one of the greatest friends could ever have. The only thing bigger than her beautiful soul was her extraordinary talent. She gave us such joy in her many turns on the Broadway stage as well as her film and TV roles. She was brilliant in Ain't Misbehavin' and so many other shows."

"But I will remember her as my girlfriend whose dazzling smile and...sense of humor gave me so much joy," she continued. "All of us who are lucky enough to call her our friend will be sustained by the many memories of the fun we all had together. My heart is sad this day; but I know I'll see my friend at the next party. Save me a seat, Queenie."

McQueen made her debut on Broadway in 1978 in Ain't Misbehavin'. The production won the award for Best Musical at the Tony Awards. McQueen reached a new generation of fans as Clara Brown, the sister to clairvoyant Oda Mae Brown (Whoopi Goldberg) in the 1990 romantic classic Ghost.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Why do you care then? I'm African too but the racebending of characters in Hollywood has always been in the past and the present about monetary reasons. This is a calculation made by movie studios outside the target audience to make a product appealing to everyone. You have the right to see it as a negative but majority won't and that is ok. The target audience is not Africans but Africans can certainly consume it and vicariously enjoy media targeted to AA but it's really made primarily to appeal to an American audience. Sci-fi, fantasy films in Hollywood, will hopefully henceforth be having an inclusive casting policy regardless. Either get with the program or just stop bothering ppl with your perspectives.
    This is exactly was racists and anti-gay people also say.... "Either get with the program or stop bothering people with your perspectives".

It seems according to this guy, me being from East Africa should NEVER make any opinion on International entertainment *particularly* from a country that broadcasts itself to be the bastion of social equality in nearly all it's facets including entertainment which they broadcast to the international audience including Africans.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Sorry he was paid to write Black Panther not stealth Storm or Doar books.

Not beat the drum of black men oppress black women nonsense.

Not all black males are toxic nonsense.

Not present a character than panders to Unfans who would cheer if Coates wrote namor flooding Wakanda again and Panther being blamed.

There is a reason that book stopped selling.

Nobody is saying you can't enjoy the book.

But understand if the mess done by Coates was done in other books-he would no longer be on the book.

Look at his Cap America run. Funny all the folks who did holy ghost dances and hyped and tossed out reviews that Panther book before a single issue came out. Were silent on Cap America.

Yet the better book is Cap America.
    Well said....agreed and co-signed!!!!

I just think Marvel is just scared to fire him bcuz of his black novelist of high accolade status.....they can play it smart....just take him off BP, give him the Storm book he actually wants to write then get a new writer for BP.

I know Marvel did not have any major black characters in the 60's (Though Black Panther was introduced in 66) but I do like one this they did. In the back round of some of the stories, noticed this most in Amazing Spiderman. There were black back round characters. And not the the normal stereo typical thugs, gang members, etc. But they were students at Peter's college, they were police officers, one of who had a couple of lines and bravely battled mobsters even though he was out numbered.

I know they were only back round characters so maybe I shouldnt make a bigger deal out of it then it is. But I thought that was a kind of sneaky way to integrate the Marvel universe and it seemed like a sneaky way to get fans of the books used to seeing black characters in the pages of comics.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    This is exactly was racists and anti-gay people also say.... "Either get with the program or stop bothering people with your perspectives".

It seems according to this guy, me being from East Africa should NEVER make any opinion on International entertainment *particularly* from a country that broadcasts itself to be the bastion of social equality in nearly all it's facets including entertainment which they broadcast to the international audience including Africans.
    That's a little bit of hyperbole there, guy. Calm down. People are allowed to disagree with you.

Tofali correctly pointed out that racebending has always been about money, first ... there could have been a no-name white actor as Heimdall, or a black star who just happens to be able to headline major theatre releases. Same for Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm. White fans can dislike it, but it's a marketing choice, primarily.

He also said you have the right to see it as a negative, but others won't, and that's okay. That doesn't sound much to me like what racists say. Maybe you have just been lucky enough to not be exposed to many?
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I know Marvel did not have any major black characters in the 60's (Though Black Panther was introduced in 66) but I do like one this they did. In the back round of some of the stories, noticed this most in Amazing Spiderman. There were black back round characters. And not the the normal stereo typical thugs, gang members, etc. But they were students at Peter's college, they were police officers, one of who had a couple of lines and bravely battled mobsters even though he was out numbered.

I know they were only back round characters so maybe I shouldnt make a bigger deal out of it then it is. But I thought that was a kind of sneaky way to integrate the Marvel universe and it seemed like a sneaky way to get fans of the books used to seeing black characters in the pages of comics.
    I don't know if I'd use the word "sneaky" but it was certainly an attempt way to present a more integrated or diverse universe. And it made sense to see minority citizens in New York at the time.

Resident Evil reboot cast announced

Kaya Scodelario as Claire Redfield

Hannah John-Kamen as Jill Valentine

Robbie Amell as Chris Redfield

Tom Hopper as Albert Wesker

Avan Jogia as Leon S. Kennedy

Neal McDonough as William Birkin

https://deadline.com/2020/10/residen...ry-1234591729/

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Resident Evil reboot cast announced

Kaya Scodelario as Claire Redfield

Hannah John-Kamen as Jill Valentine

Robbie Amell as Chris Redfield

Tom Hopper as Albert Wesker

Avan Jogia as Leon S. Kennedy

Neal McDonough as William Birkin

https://deadline.com/2020/10/residen...ry-1234591729/
    I'll have to wait and see how this goes. I loved the 1st , 3 Resident Evil films for darn sure. The last 3 was just terrible with insane plots and more.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Adult Swim "retires" episodes of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Boondocks due to "cultural sensitivities"

https://news.avclub.com/adult-swim-r...rce-1845228180
    Imagine taking two shows, one on which had Black writers, a Black creator, and an all Black cast and throwing them off your network for being too racist.

Meanwhile I'm sure HBO Max has plenty of movies with all sorts of racist stereotypes but I bet those won't get taken down.

This is the problem with Software as a Service (speaking first hand from working with apps like that) --> you never own what you pay for.

Ultimate Member

https://www.chron.com/politics/artic...r-15627853.php

The uproar over Netflix's "Cuties" has emerged into a new battle in Texas.

The streaming giant Netflix has been indicted on a criminal charge from a Texas grand jury, alleging that it promoted "lewd visual material" of a child with the release of the film, "Cuties." The Tyler County grand jury indicted the company, not its executives, on the charges carrying a state jail felony, according to The Texas Tribune's Jolie McCullough and Stacy Fernandez.

Texas lawmakers didn't waste any time in recognizing the indictment.

"Netflix, Inc. indicted by grand jury in Tyler Co., Tx for promoting material in Cuties film which depicts lewd exhibition of pubic area of clothed or partially clothed child was younger than 18 years of are which appeals to the prurient interest in sex," Texas Representative Matt Shaefer wrote on Twitter.

According to The Hill's Juliegrace Brufke, more than 30 GOP House lawmakers have asked for Netflix executives to be prosecuted over the release of the controversial film.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Imagine taking two shows, one on which had Black writers, a Black creator, and an all Black cast and throwing them off your network for being too racist.

Meanwhile I'm sure HBO Max has plenty of movies with all sorts of racist stereotypes but I bet those won't get taken down.

This is the problem with Software as a Service (speaking first hand from working with apps like that) --> you never own what you pay for.
    On that...

I just can't wrap my mind around singling out a single episode involving Uncle Ruckus, and saying "Yep, That's Where We Crossed The Line..."

How do you not retire every single episode that he was in if he represents an issue?