Page 407 of 828 FirstFirst ... 307357397403404405406407408409410411417457507 ... LastLast
Results 6,091 to 6,105 of 12408
    DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Something interesting that might happen in comics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgsvs-pKibE&t=600s
    Hmm... on the one hand this would be a convenient way for Fox to replace the original cast and hire VAs who are not unionized (and therefore they can pay a lot less).
    On the other hand the talk about being typecast is too little, too late. Hollywood has been typecasting people for years to the point that they had to do their own thing in order to get out of limited roles. It's a bit rich to only start complaining now that someone like Carl is being played (assuming the article is true) by a Black man.

What I don't want to happen is Black VAs being limited to only Black roles.

At this year’s virtual NYCC, a comic book called Zaadii: The Legend of Z-Hawk was unveiled. The comic was inspired by 3-year-old Zaadii Tozhon Tso, a young boy who loved superheroes and was tragically killed by a distracted driver in 2015. Renowned comics creatives Gail Simone, Jim Calafiore, and Jeffrey Veregge have created a comic book as a tribute to Zaadii, turning him into a Navajo superhero for the ages.

The comic was commissioned by Travelers as their latest in the Travelers’ Unfinished Stories series, intended to honor victims of distracted driving and raise awareness. Simone, Calafiore, and Veregge worked with Zaadii’s family to design the story. The young boy adored superheroes and often wore a Batman costume and a cape he was loath to take off.

In a press release, Simone is quoted as saying, “It’s an honor to get to tell this story in memory of this very special child. With the help of his wonderful family, we feel like we are sharing his dream with the world, while hopefully reminding people of the dangers of distracted driving.”

The entire comic book is available to read for free at Travelers.com/Zaadii.
    https://www.themarysue.com/zaadii-th...tribute-comic/

Five Amazing Creators and Advocates To Support on Indigenous Peoples’ Day
    https://www.themarysue.com/five-amaz...s-peoples-day/

Astonishing Member

It's always sad and frustrating to learn of more of this is still and has still been a thing. I'm glad they were able, to whatever extents they could, find a way to channel this into something productive and constructive.

Definitely giving it a read.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    It's always sad and frustrating to learn of more of this is still and has still been a thing. I'm glad they were able, to whatever extents they could, find a way to channel this into something productive and constructive.

Definitely giving it a read.
    Same here brutha....oh man when the young have their lives taken away in such horrid and meaningless manner.

Apropos to Simone for creating this tribute and in some ways helping the family to heal from their loss.

Mighty Member

Btw Y'all really should check out.

PLease check out GALACTIC CORPS, Vanguard, Avonome and Beatz (and many other) from....
    https://m.thecomicrepublic.com/home.html

And check out Wrathhouse (and many others) from...
    https://vortex247.com/

African comic publishers are putting in serious work in the last 5-6years.

Please share your thoughts/review on whichever of their comics you read.

Comics on comicrepublic are FREE!!!
    Last edited by Besouro; 10-13-2020 at 11:56 PM.

Gal Gadot. Patty Jenkins. Cleopatra. GTFOH.

I wonder if they'll use Zoe Zaldana's Simone prosthesis to get her closer to the look.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Gal Gadot. Patty Jenkins. Cleopatra. GTFOH.

I wonder if they'll use Zoe Zaldana's Simone prosthesis to get her closer to the look.
    Cleopatra was a Macedonian Greek, she was part of (and the last) the Ptolemaic dynasty a Greek family that ruled Egypt after Alexander the Great. The Ptolemys liked to keep it in the family if you know what I mean, The Ptolemys were never Egyptian.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    Does anyone know any Romani character represented in comics (aside from the 'gypsy' tropes)?
    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Perhaps Dick Grayson?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    I can only think of nightwing

Devin Grayson introduced that in his solo Nightwing series back in 2000's. I was surprised but very impressed. Then Grant Morrison basically cemented it that with the language and more being used in Batman & Robin of that 1st arc. It was really good. People weren't happy. Because Rom people aren't supposed to be depicted as heroes and usually its negative portrayals on TV and all.

Even on CBR back before the wipe I was so happy to see it and someone posted how the next writer would change it all. Because again Nightwing and Batman being that was wrong to some.

In all I think they tried making Magneto that at one point , people objected and demanded he be changed back to being Jewish. But beyond it comics wise...not a lot of characters have that.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Eddie Van Halen endured a 'horrifying racist environment' before becoming a rock legend.

Music fans around the world are mourning the loss of iconic Van Halen rock star Eddie Van Halen. And while many today honor his legacy as one of the all-time greatest guitarists, fans are also highlighting past interviews describing his encounters with painful racism and discrimination because of his mixed race in his early years.

Van Halen, who died Tuesday of throat cancer at 65, was the son of Dutch and Indonesian immigrants and spent his childhood in the Netherlands. His former bandmate David Lee Roth, a fellow rock superstar, once revealed on the podcast "WTF with Marc Maron" just how painful the experience was for the young Van Halen and his brother, drummer Alex Van Halen.

In the 2019 interview, Roth described how poorly the Van Halens' parents were treated because of their mixed-race relationship in the 1950s.

"It was a big deal. Those homeboys grew up in a horrifying racist environment to where they actually had to leave the country," Roth said in the podcast.

He added that the brothers, who were often referred to as "half-breed" in the Netherlands, still met difficult circumstances after immigrating to the U.S.

"Then they came to America and did not speak English as a first language in the early '60s. Wow," Roth told Maron. "So that kind of sparking, that kind of stuff, that runs deep."

The brothers' mother, Eugenia, met their father, Jan, a traveling musician, in Indonesia when it was under Dutch rule. Shortly after World War II, the couple decided to move to the Netherlands, where the rock stars were born.

Eugenia was treated as a "second-class citizen," Van Halen said in an interview in 2017 with music journalist Denise Quan for Smithsonian's National Museum of American History. The family packed up and left for the U.S. in 1962, making the trek by boat for nine days, before settling in the Pasadena, California, area.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...egend-n1242663

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Cleopatra was a Macedonian Greek, she was part of (and the last) the Ptolemaic dynasty a Greek family that ruled Egypt after Alexander the Great. The Ptolemys liked to keep it in the family if you know what I mean, The Ptolemys were never Egyptian.
    Yea, even with my rudimentary grasp of world history I know anybody from Alexander the Great's lineage didn't look like Sterling K. Brown. Chick got dealt aces and has become a worldwide star playing a fictional comic book greek, might as well see how she does as an actual historical figure. Please, Hollywood is going to Hollywood though, I am interested to know how much historical context- especially the 'you know what I mean stuff' Jenkins would have in the film. This ain't the 50's anymore and Gadot isn't Elizabeth Taylor, Elizabeth Taylor was a good actress. I feel the bronzer budget for this production is going to be through the roof.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Btw Y'all really should check out.

PLease check out GALACTIC CORPS, Vanguard, Avonome and Beatz (and many other) from....
    https://m.thecomicrepublic.com/home.html

And check out Wrathhouse (and many others) from...
    https://vortex247.com/

African comic publishers are putting in serious work in the last 5-6years.

Please share your thoughts/review on whichever of their comics you read.

Comics on comicrepublic are FREE!!!
    I pretty much heckin' love everything from The Comic Republic. My faves are Guardian Prime and Hero Generation (two of their earliest works, but alas, are probably the most lacking in recent updates compared to some of their other older works and their newer fare). Trials of the Spear, Black Moon (even with just one issue out; it's like "Naruto, but what if Sasuke was the main character and gave off the sense that he had more internal nuance to him in just his first appearance, and wasn't yet 'Sasuke tainted'?"), and Galactic Core are some of their newest fare. But they've got me hooked and I cannot wait for more of these issues to drop. Same for goes for Visionary, which is about midway in "oldness", but something I'm all for.

But frankly, I recommend everything from The Comic Republic. The respective artstyles each series brings adds just as much character as the stories themselves. There's something for everyone, and even those genres that are different from a person's usual preferences are worth looking into. (I miss being able to download the comics as CBR files, though.)

I also wonder when the next installment of Uhuru, Legend of the Windriders is gonna be a thing? That's another one that super pulled me in. But it hasn't been added to in a long time.

Extraordinary Member

Cleopatra by Michelangelo

Facial reconstruction of Cleopatra-Cambridge University
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 10-14-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    Does anyone know any Romani character represented in comics (aside from the 'gypsy' tropes)?
    Aren't Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver Romani for the moment?
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Cleopatra's ethnicity has been disputed for so long that I'm not sure if Gadot's casting is right or wrong. I'd say the problem is them making a Cleopatra movie at all not who is cast in it.