Page 409 of 827 FirstFirst ... 309359399405406407408409410411412413419459509 ... LastLast
Results 6,121 to 6,135 of 12394
    Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

A diverse Indie dev Group is making a game called Cereal Killaz. A 2d fighting a game about you fave cereal mascots

video's on insta
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I'd care more if they cast Gal Gadot for these roles:

1.Queen Nyamazana (Ngoni 1835-1890s)

The Ngoni people, more than a million strong, consisting of a dozen sub-groups of Bantu speaking people scattered throughout Eastern Africa, each forming an independent state with its own ruler. Nyamazana was one of the many Ngoni leaders. She was a military genius who pillaged through Zimbabwe taking over territory. When Mzilikazi (Ndebele founding King) eventually came into Zimbabwe, Nyamazana formed an alliance with him through marriage and her people integrated into the Ndebele. The Ndebele can be found in modern-day Zimbabwe in the Matabeleland province.

2.Queen Nzinga
    Queen Nzinga of Angola is one of the most celebrated African women to resist European colonisation. Nzinga Mbande led four decades (1620s to 1660s) of warfare against the Portuguese in Angola.
    It would awesome to get Nyongo and Gurira (sp?) to play these characters.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I'd care more if they cast Gal Gadot for these roles:

1.Queen Nyamazana (Ngoni 1835-1890s)

The Ngoni people, more than a million strong, consisting of a dozen sub-groups of Bantu speaking people scattered throughout Eastern Africa, each forming an independent state with its own ruler. Nyamazana was one of the many Ngoni leaders. She was a military genius who pillaged through Zimbabwe taking over territory. When Mzilikazi (Ndebele founding King) eventually came into Zimbabwe, Nyamazana formed an alliance with him through marriage and her people integrated into the Ndebele. The Ndebele can be found in modern-day Zimbabwe in the Matabeleland province.

2.Queen Nzinga
    Queen Nzinga of Angola is one of the most celebrated African women to resist European colonisation. Nzinga Mbande led four decades (1620s to 1660s) of warfare against the Portuguese in Angola.
    It would awesome to get Nyongo and Gurira (sp?) to play these characters.

Oh there was also Queen Amina of the ....Hausa people.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I thought the bit I highlighted deserves a bit more emphasis. It does indeed come across that way. As you point out, there is plenty of African history to equal anything out there, and yet it's just not taught or widely known, and indeed much of the effort and resources that are devoted to say for example Egyptology simply isn't there when it comes to doing the archaeology for those civilizations. Why not start remedying all of that instead of doing everyone a disservice?
    I honestly think that the general lack of research and "prestige" these civilizations have in the first place is what drives radical Afrocentrists to claim Egypt or Carthage. Sure, anyone who's done even surface level research into the Mali Empire or Kilwa Sultanate should understand they were cultural and economic powerhouses of their time.

But that's not common knowledge nor are they pushed as pinnacles of human civilization like Medieval Europe or even Sengoku Japan are. So there's a feeling of pissing in the wind when trying to elevate them in historical discussions because no one knows what you're talking about or simply downplay their accomplishments. But of course that's giving up the battle before it's even fought.

The goal of exploring African history shouldn't be to insert black people into the narratives of other groups, but rather to intensively and truthfully showcase the achievements of black Africans in their own contexts throughout history. Thankfully there's plenty of great content creators and scholars out there doing just that and with the success of stuff like Black Panther I think there's a better chance than every before we start seeing history movies rooted in Africa.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I honestly think that the general lack of research and "prestige" these civilizations have in the first place is what drives radical Afrocentrists to claim Egypt or Carthage. Sure, anyone who's done even surface level research into the Mali Empire or Kilwa Sultanate should understand they were cultural and economic powerhouses of their time.

But that's not common knowledge nor are they pushed as pinnacles of human civilization like Medieval Europe or even Sengoku Japan are. So there's a feeling of pissing in the wind when trying to elevate them in historical discussions because no one knows what you're talking about or simply downplay their accomplishments. But of course that's giving up the battle before it's even fought.

The goal of exploring African history shouldn't be to insert black people into the narratives of other groups, but rather to intensively and truthfully showcase the achievements of black Africans in their own contexts throughout history. Thankfully there's plenty of great content creators and scholars out there doing just that and with the success of stuff like Black Panther I think there's a better chance than every before we start seeing history movies rooted in Africa.
    That's a battle worth fighting IMO. These civilizations and the people involved need more study and more publicity and prestige. And more scholars studying them. And yes, movies and TV and even comics can play a role in attracting the next generation of scholars studying these things. Also, some of those History or Discovery channel series like they have for both Western and Eastern civilizations, and even those of Central and South America, (though IMO there can be more of those). Stuff that can teach and thus get people interested.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post

I don't think there's a problem with pointing that some ancient Egyptian leaders were black, there's a problem with assuming that applied to every Ancient Egyptian leader. Cleopatra isn't one of them.

‘Doc McStuffins’ Creator Chris Nee Unveils New Slate Of Inclusive Animated Preschool Series For Netflix

https://deadline.com/2020/10/chris-n...mpression=true

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    ‘Doc McStuffins’ Creator Chris Nee Unveils New Slate Of Inclusive Animated Preschool Series For Netflix

https://deadline.com/2020/10/chris-n...mpression=true

Ooohh! These look nice!

‘Doctor Strange 2’: ‘Baby-Sitters Club’ Star Xochitl Gomez Joins Benedict Cumberbatch In Next Installment

https://deadline.com/2020/10/doctor-...ch-1234598621/

Ultimate Member

The thing about Afro-centrism is that it was largely a reaction to the "eurocentrism" of the 19th and 20th centuries that sought to explain that stuff on the African continent weren't built by the natives.

Some European scholars asserted that the Pyramids of Egypt and even Great Zimbabwe (the later was the subject of serious pressure by the Rhodesian government) were built by white people. Which is patently absurd.

The thing is, some Afro-centrists have been "over-reactionary" and claimed cultures as far as China and the Pacific Islands which is also silly. Two a-historical assumptions don't make a right.

As per ancient Egypt, do i believe they were all black Africans, no. Do I believe that society was multi-cultural? Absolutely considering there were eventually black Pharaohs of Egypt during the 25th dynasty (circa 700BC or so...my memory fails). I believe it was during this time period that majority of the pyramids of Egypt were indeed built. The problem is that a lot of black people's roles and achievements even in their own continent were washed away and we are just learning about a lot of stuff fairly recently (like the existence of math in Central Africa pre-colonialism). That could laid down squarely of the white powers doing their very best to justify slavery, colonialism and later segregation.

And I 100% agree that more should be done to highlight the history of ancient sub-Saharan Africa. There are a metric ton of interesting stories like the aforementioned Mansa Musa or even the Great Benin Empire (some of who's ancient artifacts are still on display in a British museum....*sighs*).

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    ‘Doctor Strange 2’: ‘Baby-Sitters Club’ Star Xochitl Gomez Joins Benedict Cumberbatch In Next Installment

https://deadline.com/2020/10/doctor-...ch-1234598621/
    Young America Chavez?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Young America Chavez?
    It's not officially stated by guys online are STRONGLY speculating that she will be playing Chavez and are going nuts about bad casting.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    It's not officially stated by guys online are STRONGLY speculating that she will be playing Chavez and are going nuts about bad casting.
    I don't get the complaints she looks like America.

Extraordinary Member

This what Chavez looks like in the comics. That actress is considerably lighter not as bad as the Sunspot debacle in nm but yeah..here we go again..

I'm not aware of The Hollywood Reporter's track record but this is interesting.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...hock-exclusive
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.