Page 421 of 828 FirstFirst ... 321371411417418419420421422423424425431471521 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,315 of 12409
    Astonishing Member

So when we do have the right people doing their due diligence to make sure the right things are done to uphold the integrity of works of fiction, these people get ignored and worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    They don't have to be, the whole point of the FF is that they're a group who become family - Ben Grimm was never a Storm, but he did become family. If anything that updates the concept to be more like the idea would be today, which is more diverse and inclusive. The FF don't have to be a traditional family to be updated contemporarily.

If they truly did this to avoid Sue being black that was wrong, but that's on the people who made the decision not that the Storm's having adopted Sue couldn't be good in itself. It also allowed the Storm family and Johnny to not be white in a movie, which is an achievement in itself.

Overwhelmingly white, not impossible. What's wrong with showing this representation in media? Those families should get representation.

Johnny and Sue being from a biracial family with adopted siblings is literally the status quo of the movie, as it was in Shazam. You didn't answer anything about the Shazam's family, who would also be a smaller minority among adopted kids. For or against?
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What are you talking about?
    It was just funny it seemed SI was defending the casting choices because as white people they were not the majority in ther respective family units. It was funny. I've been smoking lol
    Nothing, it's a straw man.
    lol Ok.
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    It was just funny it seemed SI was defending the casting choices because as white people they were not the majority in ther respective family units. It was funny. I've been smoking lol

lol Ok.
    He meant that just because the majority of interracial adoptions are white parents adopting non-white kids it doesn't mean we can't have the inverse in fiction.

You didn't answer anything about the Shazam's family, who would also be a smaller minority among adopted kids. For or against?
    Because I didn't watch this movie. I have no idea what happens in the movie.

Hell, I thought it was a foster home based on the trailers, not an adoption thing
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

If they truly did this to avoid Sue being black that was wrong, but that's on the people who made the decision not that the Storm's having adopted Sue couldn't be good in itself. It also allowed the Storm family and Johnny to not be white in a movie, which is an achievement in itself.

Overwhelmingly white, not impossible. What's wrong with showing this representation in media? Those families should get representation.

Johnny and Sue being from a biracial family with adopted siblings is literally the status quo of the movie, as it was in Shazam. You didn't answer anything about the Shazam's family, who would also be a smaller minority among adopted kids. For or against?
    Such an achievement that all the hate and rage fell on the BLACK GUY.
    Like it did in Ghostbusters black woman in that case and Star Wars.

There is nothing wrong with showing black families with kids of other races.

Generation X had one.
    Quantum and Woody were one.
    Savage Dragon is a gray area in that.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Hell, I thought it was a foster home based on the trailers, not an adoption thing
    It is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    He meant that just because the majority of interracial adoptions are white parents adopting non-white kids it doesn't mean we can't have the inverse in fiction.
    Ahh okay
    It'll make zero sense (IMHO) tho unless In like a foster-adopt situation
    GrindrStone(D)

It is.

Ahh okay
    It'll make zero sense (IMHO) tho unless In like a foster-adopt situation
    Bizarre to recall (but a positive, for diversity of families?), but realizing there is an example of this, already. In the Watchmen tv series, I recall being confused because the kids were clearly white with black parents, then the backstory revealed they were the biological kids of the main character's partner, who had been killed. Or something like that?

I don't know, but it seemed realistic enough to me, for the Watchmen universe, at least.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Bizarre to recall (but a positive, for diversity of families?), but realizing there is an example of this, already. In the Watchmen tv series, I recall being confused because the kids were clearly white with black parents, then the backstory revealed they were the biological kids of the main character's partner, who had been killed. Or something like that?

I don't know, but it seemed realistic enough to me, for the Watchmen universe, at least.
    Well yeah I was thinking of the show. But I'd file that under Foster/previous relationship prior to being adopted. The first few episodes it seemed in that world adoption must be interracial. Before I realized Lady Trieu's adopted daughter was her mother
    GrindrStone(D)

Well yeah I was thinking of the show. But I'd file that under Foster/previous relationship prior to being adopted. The first few episodes it seemed in that world adoption must be interracial. Before I realized Lady Trieu's adopted daughter was her mother
    Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, I would guess that counts for foster ... although, thinking on it now, it seems weird to me that anyone would ever be adopted without some kind of foster placement happening first. I mean, I guess that does happen, but I think you're right, in the statistically-unlikely case of placing a white kid with a black family, you probably really want to take that extra step first.

It does happen, though. I recall seeing some story on Facebook with a black couple who'd adopted a bunch of kids, some of them white. Was cool to see, but no doubt the reason there was a news story about them, because it really is not a common occurrence!
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

A diverse gossip girl is cool but this is such a style downgrade, omg.

december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, I would guess that counts for foster ... although, thinking on it now, it seems weird to me that anyone would ever be adopted without some kind of foster placement happening first. I mean, I guess that does happen, but I think you're right, in the statistically-unlikely case of placing a white kid with a black family, you probably really want to take that extra step first.

It does happen, though. I recall seeing some story on Facebook with a black couple who'd adopted a bunch of kids, some of them white. Was cool to see, but no doubt the reason there was a news story about them, because it really is not a common occurrence!
    YEah i mean i know a lady who works in Atlanta SS who adopted 2 brothers after fostering them and they're white. But I'd be confused as to why if it kept popping up on TV...movies..
    Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    A diverse gossip girl is cool but this is such a style downgrade, omg.

IS this diverse?I bet (hopefully not) the 3 diverse chars on the right of the 2nd pic will be the peripheral chars or girlfriends to the main chars, or in a LGBTQ relationship off panel
    GrindrStone(D)

Wait, do real life people actually dress like that?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

YEah i mean i know a lady who works in Atlanta SS who adopted 2 brothers after fostering them and they're white. But I'd be confused as to why if it kept popping up on TV...movies..

IS this diverse?I bet (hopefully not) the 3 diverse chars on the right of the 2nd pic will be the peripheral chars or girlfriends to the main chars, or in a LGBTQ relationship off panel

Gossip Girl was white-white, this is pretty diverse. They made main cast members POC.

I just hope it sticks to the books.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Wait, do real life people actually dress like that?
    Only on instagram pages like Kim Kardashian. The original gossip girl fits were extra but believable. What teenager gets away with wearing biker shorts to school?