Page 444 of 828 FirstFirst ... 344394434440441442443444445446447448454494544 ... LastLast
Results 6,646 to 6,660 of 12407

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    My wife has been watching "Bridgerton" on Netflix and it is downright weird seeing black people in roles of power in a time period piece. Just really weird to see lol
    potentially intriguing. I'd have to prepare to look at it as "Victorian Fantasy" before anything else. The Star Trek-esque matter-of-fact acceptance of various POC in an otherwise European-based high society, etc. I never read the books, so I have no idea about specific characters, themes, etc.

Enrique Tarrio, leader of the Proud Boys, has been arrested

https://******.com/article/joe-biden...32d1e4c19aeab6

In its first four weeks, Bridgerton is projected to court more than 63 million households, which would make it Netflix's fifth biggest original series launched to date.

https://mobile.twitter.com/netflixqu...15076131311616

Ultimate Member

I don't think 1800 Europe/London had many POC Dukes lol
    Is the series any good?

There’s been a fair bit of hype but I’m curious as to how good it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    potentially intriguing. I'd have to prepare to look at it as "Victorian Fantasy" before anything else. The Star Trek-esque matter-of-fact acceptance of various POC in an otherwise European-based high society, etc. I never read the books, so I have no idea about specific characters, themes, etc.
    It is just victorian fantasy make believe land.

They just took POC and put them in. There isn't any mention of it being weird or out of the ordinary.

I have barely watched any of it as it is my wife who is watching it, but in my like 20 minutes of wtaching it... one POC "poor" chick shows up and outshines all the rich white girls in the family as the "hot chick all the dudes want to marry." the Queen is dark skinned. Some other old auntie type lady is manipulating things a bit behidn the scenes is POC. And the main guy character and the "catch" on the show that all the single girls want is POC

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Is the series any good?

There’s been a fair bit of hype but I’m curious as to how good it actually is.
    It isn't my type of show. So idk if it is "good"

My wife really likes it and so does her friend. They are both white though if that matters.

If you are looking for any sort of race relation type stuff though, there is zero. It is just a victorian era soap opera type of thing.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

My wife really likes it and so does her friend. They are both white though if that matters.
    It doesn't, my wife watched a lot of it too. Which is fucked up cause she know full well I have a severe Shonda Rhimes-verse allergy. In fact I can't even be in the room with her Netflix feed for very long cause the hives and itching and complaining starts pretty quick.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Incredible Member

POC were around in Victorian England, and earlier. There's a good book about it:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Tudors-.../dp/1786071843
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Ultimate Member

I don't think 1800 Europe/London had many POC Dukes lol
    There were but when you don't control what is in the text book or on tv-you get a one sided version of history.

And a lot of that stuff is NOT in your local high school libraries and some colleges.

I have discovered more of this hidden history in adult college classes. Like black men voting before, during and after the Civil War in some states.

Ultimate Member

Speaking of voting, the "blacklash" (heh heh) has swept Georgia again.

With Warnock and likely Ossoff winning their senatorial races, it means Stacy Abrams has pulled through again.

Honestly, that woman should given any position she wants in Biden administration. She has more than delivered in what is traditionally a red state.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    POC were around in Victorian England, and earlier. There's a good book about it:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Tudors-.../dp/1786071843
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    There were but when you don't control what is in the text book or on tv-you get a one sided version of history.

And a lot of that stuff is NOT in your local high school libraries and some colleges.

I have discovered more of this hidden history in adult college classes. Like black men voting before, during and after the Civil War in some states.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

With Warnock and likely Ossoff winning their senatorial races, it means Stacy Abrams has pulled through again.

Honestly, that woman should given any position she wants in Biden administration. She has more than delivered in what is traditionally a red state.
    She should be the DNC chair

How can you not be impressed by her efforts and all those she worked with. There's a lot of strength in engaging Black folks, who knew indeed. Receipts have began to come in over the changing demographics in this country and people can see more clearly how ugly and ignorant the backlash to basic inclusion can and does look. My one question is, what do all these fools that the outgoing President has whipped up, DO all day? You know, normally, like work, before they drape themselves in a flag and a funny hat and chant **** about stolen elections and marching for Trump.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    [font=georgia] My one question is, what do all these fools that the outgoing President has whipped up, DO all day?
    ooooooh I can answer this.

Watch conservative news channels to varying levels of insanity based on how far down they are. Fox is the starter package, then you got **** like Newsmax for when Fox got "too liberal." And by watch, I mean every single moment of free time the TV is on these channels.

They then dabble on the liberal networks just long enough to get mad and see how stupid the liberals are.

Then they do "research" on the internet. Usually in the form of memes, facebook statuses, or stuff like OAN.

Then they get together with other trumpers in safe spaces. Older folks do it in person (family gatherings) or facebook, younger folk end up in darker places online.

Source: My mother in-law bought a "woman for trump" billboard back home and my father in law and brother in law did one of those "trump car parade" things around election time.

You would have no fucking idea if you just met them at the store or something. They are millionaires, give money to charity, i've NEVER had a problem with them, ect. They won't even talk about politics if I am around because my wife hate it and it streses her out and she asked her dad to stop and he did. So he/they isn't one of those complete nutjobs. And his sparetime still revolves around the Church of Trump.

Thing is, i still remember vividly during the nomination process 5 years ago and they despised Trump. Fake republican rich hollywood silver spoon idiot. They have always been republican but more "Romney republican" not tea party nutso type stuff. It was like the hate for Hiliary was so strong they gravitated toward the other option as strong as possible and then got mesmerized by.... incomplete incoherent speeches? I still don't get it.

ooooooh I can answer this.

Watch conservative news channels to varying levels of insanity based on how far down they are. Fox is the starter package, then you got **** like Newsmax for when Fox got "too liberal." And by watch, I mean every single moment of free time the TV is on these channels.

They then dabble on the liberal networks just long enough to get mad and see how stupid the liberals are.

Then they do "research" on the internet. Usually in the form of memes, facebook statuses, or stuff like OAN.

Then they get together with other trumpers in safe spaces. Older folks do it in person (family gatherings) or facebook, younger folk end up in darker places online.

Source: My mother in-law bought a "woman for trump" billboard back home and my father in law and brother in law did one of those "trump car parade" things around election time.

You would have no fucking idea if you just met them at the store or something. They are millionaires, give money to charity, i've NEVER had a problem with them, ect. They won't even talk about politics if I am around because my wife hate it and it streses her out and she asked her dad to stop and he did. So he/they isn't one of those complete nutjobs. And his sparetime still revolves around the Church of Trump.

Thing is, i still remember vividly during the nomination process 5 years ago and they despised Trump. Fake republican rich hollywood silver spoon idiot. They have always been republican but more "Romney republican" not tea party nutso type stuff. It was like the hate for Hiliary was so strong they gravitated toward the other option as strong as possible and then got mesmerized by.... incomplete incoherent speeches? I still don't get it.
    I believe that it was the art of war that said "If you want to defeat your enemy you have to think like them." I'm still trying to wrap my head around the thought process of the Trumper. I don't think of him as anomaly, but as a symptom of a much greater disease. Why would so many people get taken in by him? Joe Biden, honestly, didn't run a very good campaign, feel good platitudes, soul of the nation, wear a mask, he didn't really talk policy. You had to vote for him, and you had to be excited about it, if you aren't then you get hit with a deluge of shame. Shame isn't a motivator, it only makes people dig their heels in and do more behavior that the other people don't like. Politics has become a team sport, which isn't good for anyone. He wasn't even counting on people to like him, but on people to hate Trump more. His campaign was a lethal cocktail of cynicism, nostalgia and fear.

The only thing Trump is good at is making people believe he's successful. This man has failed upwards 1000x over. A lot of his supporters believe that he's sticking it to those smug annoying liberals, them and their NPR (the classical station is good though) and Whole Foods (I mean I get it, but why pay 8$ for asparagus water?)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    How can you not be impressed by her efforts and all those she worked with. There's a lot of strength in engaging Black folks, who knew indeed. Receipts have began to come in over the changing demographics in this country and people can see more clearly how ugly and ignorant the backlash to basic inclusion can and does look. My one question is, what do all these fools that the outgoing President has whipped up, DO all day? You know, normally, like work, before they drape themselves in a flag and a funny hat and chant **** about stolen elections and marching for Trump.
    Most of them talk A LOT OF **** on social media.

They've gone into full meltdown, so much so they've abandoned Fox News. LOLOLOL.

The GOP is really paying the price for the last 4 years of unbridled bigotry and racism that's erupted since Trump's election. Note, I'm not saying that racism started with Trump just that a lot of racists and bigots have come out of the woodwork since the last election.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-06-2021 at 08:22 AM.