Page 453 of 828 FirstFirst ... 353403443449450451452453454455456457463503553 ... LastLast
Results 6,781 to 6,795 of 12411
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It is just popular villains period. All the popular villains tend to be white.

To me, from memory, that is because there are no popular black villains in comics other than Manta. I coulda swore Manta has done some misguided heroic stuff before but I don't follow DC that closely. And that dude is pretty much evil as hell in the same vein as Joker ad Red Skull, so idk if turning him makes any sense anyway.

But yeah... what other actually popular comic villains are POC?

The POC villain gallery is just trash.
    You're not wrong.

Tombstone is ok. He's pretty much Max Cady from Cape Fear but with superpowers. Scary prison escapee with a grudge. If Marvel had better writers they could really do something with a psychotic killer who thinks he is some poor soul's ( Robbie Robertson) best buddy.

The joke is he's really Robbie's archfoe. Tombstone's way scarier for a normal person to have to deal with.

Centurius is a way obscure mad scientist type that was created by Jim Steranko in the 60's and literally disappeared until Thunderbolts started using him. But he's a more credible scientist type than Thunderball who let himself be bossed around by a cheap thug for decades.

I kinda think Black Manta got as far as he did because of how sad the rest of Aquaman's rogues were. And I think the editors themselves forgot he was Black. I don't remember ever seeing him without that helmet in the 70's in cartoons or comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    You're not wrong.

Tombstone is ok. He's pretty much Max Cady from Cape Fear but with superpowers. Scary prison escapee with a grudge. If Marvel had better writers they could really do something with a psychotic killer who thinks he is some poor soul's ( Robbie Robertson) best buddy.

The joke is he's really Robbie's archfoe. Tombstone's way scarier for a normal person to have to deal with.

Centurius is a way obscure mad scientist type that was created by Jim Steranko in the 60's and literally disappeared until Thunderbolts started using him. But he's a more credible scientist type than Thunderball who let himself be bossed around by a cheap thug for decades.

I kinda think Black Manta got as far as he did because of how sad the rest of Aquaman's rogues were. And I think the editors themselves forgot he was Black. I don't remember ever seeing him without that helmet in the 70's in cartoons or comics.
    Might I ask your thoughts on the YJ show's version of Manta and Cheshire?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Might I ask your thoughts on the YJ show's version of Manta and Cheshire?
    They are both great characters and Manta's easily the most sympathetic member of the Light. Whatever his beef with Atlantis was, he genuinely cared for Kaldur( even if he just really wanted him to join the family business of arch villainy).

Especially when contrasted with Sportmaster an out and out sociopath who only saw his kids as weapons...at best.

YJ Cheshire works even better than the comics version. Having Sportsmaster as a dad explains a lot about how she got as messed up as she did, and allows her to get some redeeming character arcs.

In the comics all they could think to do with her was make her even more of a homicidal maniac. Even willing to murder her own child. For reasons.

They are both great characters and Manta's easily the most sympathetic member of the Light. Whatever his beef with Atlantis was, he genuinely cared for Kaldur( even if he just really wanted him to join the family business of arch villainy).

Especially when contrasted with Sportmaster an out and out sociopath who only saw his kids as weapons...at best.

YJ Cheshire works even better than the comics version. Having Sportsmaster as a dad explains a lot about how she got as messed up as she did, and allows her to get some redeeming character arcs.

In the comics all they could think to do with her was make her even more of a homicidal maniac. Even willing to murder her own child. For reasons.
    Presumably, writers couldn't believe that Cheshire could love her children because she nuked a country. Then again, Injustice still wanted us to see Harley Quinn as sympathetic after she helped nuke Metropolis and Poison Ivy is still seen as a sympathetic figure despite numerous attempts at genocide.

Cheshire in the comics is/was a victim of sexual slavery but that didn't get milked for sympathy the same way white villains have their Freudian excuses used.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    She was the director and producer she wasn't in a role, no recast needed.
    I know that lol recast/hire a director and producer that not a white women or supposedly white passing to tell these stories this isn’t rocket science

Sportmaster an out and out sociopath who only saw his kids as weapons...at best.
    Hmmp, even though he's their to prop up his daughters, Sportsmaster is a uniquely legitimate American villain. I mean how many 'Crusher' Crock's stormed the capital on the 6th (take away most of the actual athletic feats of course)? He's not a young man, he turns his kids onto other people, each other. He's part of a larger nefarious cabal, he keeps his face covered. He clearly assigns to some dangerous ideology all for personal gain. He's no real leader but he can and does have heavy misdirected influence. Not ever shown, as far as I know, to have any bigoted leanings but that's clearly not a line you can say he doesn't cross either. Lastly he looses and runs like a champ, It's a wonder there aren't more villain foils to come from the big 2 off that same template.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Hmmp, even though he's their to prop up his daughters, Sportsmaster is a uniquely legitimate American villain. I mean how many 'Crusher' Crock's stormed the capital on the 6th (take away most of the actual athletic feats of course)? He's not a young man, he turns his kids onto other people, each other. He's part of a larger nefarious cabal, he keeps his face covered. He clearly assigns to some dangerous ideology all for personal gain. He's no real leader but he can and does have heavy misdirected influence. Not ever shown, as far as I know, to have any bigoted leanings but that's clearly not a line you can say he doesn't cross either. Lastly he looses and runs like a champ, It's a wonder there aren't more villain foils to come from the big 2 off that same template.
    This could arguably apply to Slade Wilson as well. Though both would probably not be Trump supporters as they'd prefer to hitch their wagon to someone a lot smarter.

Also, you didn't think she might have been too much of a Catwoman ripoff? I don't but I do wonder if maybe some might see it at that way.

Invincible Member

Interesting bit on how during the early part of the last century, the KKK was as much of a money making scam as it was anything else.

Believe it of not, this was touched on in the old Superman vs the Klan radio show.

You're not wrong.

They need to make Tombstone a super hero arch villain he wasting has as Peter Parker black mentor main villain lol. Recon in that Cage pops sent him to jail, Say he look up Blue/Adam but after the government push him into retiring publicly Tombstone decide to be criminal/villain, tie Tombstone into Falcon’s popz murder ( say he was part of the fight that was broken up), he killed Misty Knight partner or something give Tombstone & Beatle something to do other then be used by Peter & Scott Lang writer every few years.. build up this main criminal empire/history in marvel u.
    Last edited by 4sake Baned; 02-04-2021 at 08:22 PM.

I'm enjoying WandaVision, but mixed feelings about Monica Rambeau's place in the series.

I mean, the writing is good and I like the actress they picked for her. But Wanda and Vision are supporting characters from the movies -- you know, unlike any of the Avengers who had their own movies, your Cap, Thor, Iron Man -- even Hulk, for all that his movies never did so great. So, Monica is a supporting character in a tv show based on supporting characters. Not exactly encouraging, as far as promoting the character.

No idea what they plan for her, but I know her kid version was already introduced in Captain Marvel, and obviously it's one big consistent MCU. I guess I would have maybe preferred to see her at least take like a major role in the next Captain Marvel -- kind of like Furiosa in Fury Road -- or even show up in as an unexpectedly huge part of the Black Panther sequel. Playing on that comics Ultimates dynamic, kind of?

Of is she supposed to get a spinoff tv show? I guess that would not be so bad. They haven't shown her to have any powers just yet, though.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I'm enjoying WandaVision, but mixed feelings about Monica Rambeau's place in the series.

I mean, the writing is good and I like the actress they picked for her. But Wanda and Vision are supporting characters from the movies -- you know, unlike any of the Avengers who had their own movies, your Cap, Thor, Iron Man -- even Hulk, for all that his movies never did so great. So, Monica is a supporting character in a tv show based on supporting characters. Not exactly encouraging, as far as promoting the character.

No idea what they plan for her, but I know her kid version was already introduced in Captain Marvel, and obviously it's one big consistent MCU. I guess I would have maybe preferred to see her at least take like a major role in the next Captain Marvel -- kind of like Furiosa in Fury Road -- or even show up in as an unexpectedly huge part of the Black Panther sequel. Playing on that comics Ultimates dynamic, kind of?

Of is she supposed to get a spinoff tv show? I guess that would not be so bad. They haven't shown her to have any powers just yet, though.
    Monica Will be in Carol CM2, I’m not looking forward to it I prefer she not be any white hero black hero best friend ( like Sam, WM & etc)

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Monica Will be in Carol CM2, I’m not looking forward to it I prefer she not be any white hero black hero best friend ( like Sam, WM & etc)
    Monica and Carol might not even get along in the second movie. She didn't seem very excited when she was mentioned on Wandavision. Assuming the movie will be set in the present, it might address how long Carol has been off of earth, and how the relationship between them is probably been strained.