Page 472 of 827 FirstFirst ... 372422462468469470471472473474475476482522572 ... LastLast
Results 7,066 to 7,080 of 12392
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    He wasn't going to have a love interest even if he had a dick.
    What's Cyborg's current status?

I thought he could change back to human...meaning he had a dick?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Oh yeah, Nubia's great, she's one of DC's many diverse characters that they just sit on. There have been 2 black supermen in the last 10 years, and DC barely did anything with them.
    I absolutely love the President Superman.

I think there's a lot of stories that could told with the character. I enjoyed the brief back-up stories Morrison did with him.

I don't think he's been seen since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    What's Cyborg's current status?

I thought he could change back to human...meaning he had a dick?
    I believe that was changed when David Walker's run ended. He went back to being devoid of a dick, at least an organic one.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/ir...?ocid=msedgntp

Hulu planning a series on the life of Mike Tyson. Even though I know the studios have the right, I kinda agree with Mike Tyson.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    That is a new one for me, why is Darwin racist?

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    I was going to ask the same thing. Other than social Darwinism, Which is not part of Charles Darwin natural selection theory, I don't really see where the name causes controversy.
    People have used his very name to rationalize racism. The term social Darwinism is an example. Another character, Apocalypse, is known for such an ideology (survival of the fittest). While research shows Darwin was against slavery, he did hold the belief that white European men were at the top of the food chain (which was the prevailing POV during his era). His views on gender are an eye-sore.

As I said, the name carries racist connotation. The code-name "Evolutionary-Man" is a mouthful, but I don't think it is a good idea to call a modern black character a name that carries 100+ years of baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I mean, I don't hate Brie or anything and thought she was "fine" in Captain Marvel

But the Monica actress in Wandavision I already like better lol.
    I have no issues with MCU Carol. I was thinking more of the comic versions of Monica, and Carol. I find Monica's origin from the 1980's compared to black characters from the 1970's & the 1990's to be incredibly refreshing. Although Monica & Carol both suffered terribly from really bad writing in the comics. In a meta way, they both have that common trait besides the Captain Marvel name.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    People have used his very name to rationalize racism. The term social Darwinism is an example. Another character, Apocalypse, is known for such an ideology (survival of the fittest). While research shows Darwin was against slavery, he did hold the belief that white European men were at the top of the food chain (which was the prevailing POV during his era). His views on gender are an eye-sore.

As I said, the name carries racist connotation. The code-name "Evolutionary-Man" is a mouthful, but I don't think it is a good idea to call a modern black character a name that carries 100+ years of baggage.

I have no issues with MCU Carol. I was thinking more of the comic versions of Monica, and Carol. I find Monica's origin from the 1980's compared to black characters from the 1970's & the 1990's to be incredibly refreshing. Although Monica & Carol both suffered terribly from really bad writing in the comics. In a meta way, they both have that common trait besides the Captain Marvel name.
    Both were female characters in a much less "woke" period of time for comics. Monica has being a POC in addition to that, so if anything we might think she got off easy, as far as what could have been done to her character.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post

I was in 4th grade when I got this guy ^ from Zayre back in the mid 80's. This is one of the few old action figures i still have (not my picture) but I remember being a kid some time later and telling myself 'He looks like Black Panther'. I even put a rubberband around his chest, twisted it and then put it around this waist so he had a holster. It comes up here, how in school ANY thing of major historical impact on behalf of Black contributions is/was NEVER found in any of our textbooks but it got me to thinking, did I hear about the Black Panther Party or Black Panther first... I'm talkin pre-teen, clearly it was 616 Black Panther though. However way it happened.

Like Shaw said, man there was a period in the 80s, where we didn't have Black Panther in ANY book, no Cage, Storm had the mohawk. And so now, 6 year old white boys get green mohawks. Back then, that look, especially on a Black woman, was still a little, jarring so she was out and anyway if we dealt with any mutants it was Wolverine. Monica was on always on covers with that trimmed down Avengers roster. Those books were excellent to see, even if she was all I saw, I never not took notice. I was stuck on 'she's a girl though' and that was the only thing that prevented me from grabbing more of those issues. My guy was 8 years pre-War Machine James Rhodes that I thought was dope, blue haired Stark. Bob Layton drew Rhodes with a box haircut, he had cold ass jackets for 1987 lol.

That oldschool Titans mask I always thought was cool on Battlestar. Marvel used it very little back then.

[/B]1,000. The minority character suffers from two ends, coming and going.
    I enjoy going old school with you.

Here is a rant.

Damn, your love for BP went far back. I only knew of BP from cameos across various comics my uncle had. Outside Cyborg from DC, I was most familiar with Falcon (the only black hero with toys, as far I knew back then), Storm (who had a few animated appearances), James Rhodes (the Iron Man Secret Wars toy listed him as the alter ego), and Luke Cage. My uncle mostly collected Power Man & Iron First, and Iron Man, so I was mostly familiar with Luke & Rhodey before I could buy my own books. When I old enough to buy my own comics, Avengers (when they fought Zeus), Iron Man (Silver Centurion armor through Armor Wars era), & Captain America (when Sam rejoined the cast during the Captain saga) were on my list. I could relate to Monica (who seemed like a Huxtable), Luke, Sam, and Rhodey just fine. Monica was literally beating down Greek deities; that blew my mind. I just could not relate to Storm post Byrne, especially during the mohawk years. I was like: why she trying to look like Mr. T?

I thought the hair styles of Tony & Rhodey were on point, lol. The music group, Cameo with Larry Blackmon were at its peek, so Rhodey's haircut was timely. Stark had a perm, lol!

My first full foray into Black Panther came, once again during the Captain saga, where BP gave Steve a new shield. Stark had made Steve a new one, but they had a major falling out, and returned it. The next BP appearances (that I was aware of) was a single Daredevil story about his extended family living in New York, and lastly a mini stint with the Avengers when John Byrne took over. I loved the simplicity, and awesomeness of the BP suit. I was a Cap fan boy, and I always got the impression that Steve admired the hell out of T'Challa. I would not find out until reading an old handbook that T'Challa made Sam's wings. While he did not appear monthly, it was clear to me that BP was seemingly a major player, and well connected to so many heroes (DD, FF, and Avengers). I'll always be thankful to Joe Quesada & Jimmy Palmiotti for wanting to use BP for the Marvel Knights line. Without Joe & Jimmy, I don't think Priest would have written BP.

BP has the best cowl in comics, imo.

Battlestar was as strong as Spider-Man (I don't know Spidey's current strength level), so Marvel had a durable, above street level character not named Luke Cage (who was in limbo) to use at the time.

Last rant, had Roger Stern stayed on Avengers, Luke would have joined the team long before Bendis. Stern would have used two black heroes on the team. This would have been before Storm & Bishop being on the X-Men's gold team.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Both were female characters in a much less "woke" period of time for comics. Monica has being a POC in addition to that, so if anything we might think she got off easy, as far as what could have been done to her character.
    Yeah, you right.

Her fate was preferable to what DC did to John Stewart: wife chopped up in the kitchen (before women in refrigerators), OOC arrogance resulted in the destruction of a planet, tortured in an Apartheid prison.....dayum!!!!

Despite his renaissance in the early 80's, he was the f-up GL for a long time.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 02-26-2021 at 06:32 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I believe that was changed when David Walker's run ended. He went back to being devoid of a dick, at least an organic one.
    Wow...that's unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post

The Fox does look a lot like BP doesn't he? I have a soft spot for those Archie superheroes. They never do anything with them half the time, if it isn't mainline Archie they don't care. It's all Ian Flynn's fault. He made me care about them.
    Stop it, man I even go back to the old Red Circle imprint. Not all the sorcery stuff but the capes, The Fly (Mr. and Mrs.), Alex Toth stuff, ****, I rock with some them characters and you right, they ain't never made it easy. Even in the early 90's a couple of the Impact titles had some great designs and pretty dope concepts (still holdin' on to a handful of the Hispanic female Jaguar issues). Can't never seem to get them off the sideline outside of a series of plays though. The main Archie-verse never spoke to me so all the recent incarnation is just an extra middle finger in my direction.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Outside Cyborg from DC, I was most familiar with Falcon (the only black hero with toys, as far I knew back then), Storm (who had a few animated appearances), James Rhodes (the Iron Man Secret Wars toy listed him as the alter ego), and Luke Cage. My uncle mostly collected Power Man & Iron First, and Iron Man, so I was mostly familiar with Luke & Rhodey before I could buy my own books.
    Tssss. What's the John Amos line from Coming to America. "and baby, when I tell you he got his own money- I mean the BOY HAS GOT HIS OWN MONEY!" You right, he was it as far as merch. Damn, thas right, that was Rhodey in the suit. You know the toys hit before the comics did so in my defense the order is always, Black suit, Beyonder (SWII), the Toys then the rosters. I have 1 younger brother and he was kinda, into comics like a normal person, from ages 7 - 10 or 11 or so and then never again unless you count the times we go to see an MCU film here and there. Yup, I'd read his PMIF books when he put them down, those covers were mos def a draw to cats.

When I old enough to buy my own comics, Avengers (when they fought Zeus), Iron Man (Silver Centurion armor through Armor Wars era), & Captain America (when Sam rejoined the cast during the Captain saga) were on my list. I could relate to Monica (who seemed like a Huxtable), Luke, Sam, and Rhodey just fine. Monica was literally beating down Greek deities; that blew my mind. I just could not relate to Storm post Byrne, especially during the mohawk years. I was like: why she trying to look like Mr. T?

I thought the hair styles of Tony & Rhodey were on point, lol. The music group, Cameo with Larry Blackmon were at its peek, so Rhodey's haircut was timely. Stark had a perm, lol!

I would not find out until reading an old handbook that T'Challa made Sam's wings.
    Silver Centurion, say less, I became a consumer a couple years into that look. I remember when Tony built the new shield for Cap and then they fell out behind Armor Wars, tuh, at the time that was deep! I didn't think they'd ever get back right. Stark's perm wasn't even excessive lol, that mug was tight, like a little curl. It wasn't til that less than stellar Force Works **** til his **** got wild shoulder length ridiculous and beyond.

Mr. T... shoutout to that brotha. Man he had a 2 and 1/2 seasons of a Saturday Morning cartoon show (thank you Tubi), a major role in Rocky III AND on his own TV show, he routinely beat the hell out of guys while wielding an and firing an M-16. Let's not let Grace Jones off the hook for an influence on Storms look btw. Gotta be.

Fam... just... remember the fkn RUSH of thoughts that blew your mind when you flipped though your first Handbook of the Marvel Universe. Them joints had specs lol. I KNEW IT WAS FICTION but... I can't deny the tiny kernels of doubt that, terrorists are gonna be out here making repulsors and web shooters right(?). Those were low level investiments too, I ain't talkin' about the ones from the 90's that were esentially large issues. The BOOKS, with the white covers and color coded spines. They wasn't cheap and back then neither, I was giving up about 5 or 6 issues just for this MANUAL, with no fkn stories at all! Are you mad son?

Good chopping it up but I also can't mis-represent myself over being hip to BP. Nah, all I knew was the LOOK. Didn't get hip to his home of Wakanda or even his real name or that he was a King, that came MUCH later. I knew he was Black but for all I knew he kicked the **** out of bank robbers in Chicago or someplace.

Last rant, had Roger Stern stayed on Avengers, Luke would have joined the team long before Bendis. Stern would have used two black heroes on the team. This would have been before Storm & Bishop being on the X-Men's gold team.
    Perish the thought, one more POC would have thrown off ALL the metrics. Now all of a sudden you're stuck with a Black team book...
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

I'm reading that Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing the Superman reboot.

This just might be the talkiest Superman movie ever.

Ultimate Member

Don't you mean stealth Lois Lane movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Stop it, man I even go back to the old Red Circle imprint. Not all the sorcery stuff but the capes, The Fly (Mr. and Mrs.), Alex Toth stuff, ****, I rock with some them characters and you right, they ain't never made it easy. Even in the early 90's a couple of the Impact titles had some great designs and pretty dope concepts (still holdin' on to a handful of the Hispanic female Jaguar issues). Can't never seem to get them off the sideline outside of a series of plays though. The main Archie-verse never spoke to me so all the recent incarnation is just an extra middle finger in my direction.
    If it makes you feel better, Archie dropped the ball with Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man too. They were both actually pretty good books, but they didn't care. Archie's Sonic was weird, but fun. Sonic went to IDW and Mega Man is at Boom now I think. I wish they'd just sell the Crusaders to IDW, they could use a cape book instead of just sitting on them. There was Afterlife with Archie, which was a good zombie book, but I think it only lasted one trade. Archie has a tendency to start books and never finish them, I hate that. Or announce books that never happen, Like "The Web" that was supposed to be their answer to Ms. Marvel. Or books that are needlessly convoluted like the female Shield.

Coates on Superman...arrgh. If they use Val-Zod or Calvin Ellis I won't know how to feel. Coates has a penchant for deconstruction, and well, "subverting machismo" by writing "hyper masculine" characters like Black Panther, Captain America, and now Superman. I just wish he'd stick to nonfiction.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Don't you mean stealth Lois Lane movie?
    Those rumors from way back that Beyoncé was going to be Lois Lane could end up being a reality.