Page 495 of 828 FirstFirst ... 395445485491492493494495496497498499505545595 ... LastLast
Results 7,411 to 7,425 of 12411
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Those two have folks that want or allowed to write about them without fits being thrown.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...173924065.html
    I’m not so sure about this black muppet thing at all.

I think this is “othering” black people too much.

And telling Elmo who isn’t even human about why black people are darker is unnecessary.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    If the blacks collect on that reparation.....they will forever loose out of the historical weight of racism on any future racism issues because the others will say those historical crimes were paid and you accepted the payment.

I think it's cool that the folks in Evanston are drawing attention by using the word "reparations" for their program, thereby generating headlines claiming reparations are happening somewhere and inching the needle just that little bit closer to the idea that full reparations could be anywhere near the realm of possibility. That said, for one, while $25,000 is a decent chunk of money, it wouldn't come close to making up for the wealth black people are owed from slavery and Jim Crow.

The Evanston thing only goes back until 1919, and without researching, guessing that's because that's how long the town has been there? Well, the US has been around longer, and black people were enslaved and robbed of wealth for much longer than that, so the calculations would need to go back further, to the founding of the country, I would say. And even if you want to say, "Well, we can't make it fully balanced out, the economy has evolved as it has, and we'd need to seize and liquidate like huge existing corporations to redistribute that wealth, if we were really going to set the scales completely right..." Well, even if I accept that is just a bridge too far, there is still a whole lot of space between that, and just $25k, in the world of today. 25k isn't even going to pay off your student loans.

Reparations is supposed to be making it right, the fact that your great-grandparents were born, worked their whole lives, and died, without being able to ever own a scrap of anything, due to the legal institutions intentionally designed to keep black people in a lower social and economic tier. Balancing that would be, what would the accumulation of all their work over their life have produced, especially back in frontier days when working hard did actually mean making more? On top of that, since what they produced would have been the starting point for their kids, the calculation has to take into account not only all that your grandparents would have earned over the course of their life, if it had not been completely sanctioned by government to treat them as second class citizens, but what they would have earned if they'd actually been able to start out with the benefit of what their parents could have provided, if they had not been hobbled.

In short, the ability to maybe pay off some credit cards and take a nice long vacation would not come close to accounting for the cumulative loss of generations of wealth. The government would just need to dig deeper than $25k per person, to pay for all of that.

Okay, mini-rant over, and the second point is that the one council member there is right, this is just a housing program in Evanston. Which, giving $25k towards purchase of a home or for home repairs, that's cool. I'm not gonna complain about it at all, but real reparations would not only need to be more than $25k, but it would also need to be just straight money, to do with what you will. Listen, if that meant that within relatively short time, plenty of poor people will just be poor again, because they couldn't manage their money? Then so be it, that's life, but FFS you need to give them the chance to do that, if you're going to claim your country is fair.

And yeah, I don't agree that getting the money would erase the history of racism, any more than I think your getting a money settlement makes it okay after you lose your spouse and the use of your legs in a car accident. The money would definitely be better than nothing, but it's not better than not losing your legs and a loved one.

Reparations would go a long way to balancing the current and ongoing injustices in our country, but it would not possibly erase the fact of our history. There's no erasing history.
    Last edited by Adam Allen; 03-26-2021 at 11:12 AM.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    If the blacks collect on that reparation.....they will forever loose out of the historical weight of racism on any future racism issues because the others will say those historical crimes were paid and you accepted the payment.
    Not really.

Germany paid the Israelis billions in reparations and it hasn't in anyway erased the horrors of the Holocaust.

If anything, it adds more weight to it because its a constant reminder to the Germans of the injustices visited upon the Jews.

Say Wha- OK. It's Friday. Maybe you the type where a parable helps you understand.

I just happen to recall one about YOUR MOTHER- who is coming up on her 140th birthday. She lived and worked in some small country where a large part of all the historic labor came through her and also she reaped unimaginable disparity for doing just that. Some real medieval shit on her too, mostly for kicks. Her ass made it this far after about 140 years of being treated in about as rough a way as imaginable. She fought and fought and has all the disorders and scars to back it up, then you came along. Shining light as you seem to be. And 1 day TPTB cut her a little check for a certain specified punishment, she suffered 80 years ago, "our bad" they said, kindof. Oh and don't forget she's made this country rich beyond comparison.

Then a guy named Surf came along and said, "if that old bat cashes that check, man I don't wanna hear shit from her again about what she went through then, now, or til she's dead. Or her fkn kid." By your cornball ass logic, Surf and you would have the same sentiment about you and Moms wouldn't they? Glad it ain't me.

ANYWAY... What I'm reading about CARL FKN LUMBLY got me grinnin today. I'm ready to clock out and peep this. He ain't M.A.N.T.I.S. anymore.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Say Wha- OK. It's Friday. Maybe you the type where a parable helps you understand.

I just happen to recall one about YOUR MOTHER- who is coming up on her 140th birthday. She lived and worked in some small country where a large part of all the historic labor came through her and also she reaped unimaginable disparity for doing just that. Some real medieval shit on her too, mostly for kicks. Her ass made it this far after about 140 years of being treated in about as rough a way as imaginable. She fought and fought and has all the disorders and scars to back it up, then you came along. Shining light as you seem to be. And 1 day TPTB cut her a little check for a certain specified punishment, she suffered 80 years ago, "our bad" they said, kindof. Oh and don't forget she's made this country rich beyond comparison.

Then a guy named Surf came along and said, "if that old bat cashes that check, man I don't wanna hear shit from her again about what she went through then, now, or til she's dead. Or her fkn kid." By your cornball ass logic, Surf and you would have the same sentiment about you and Moms wouldn't they? Glad it ain't me.

ANYWAY... What I'm reading about CARL FKN LUMBLY got me grinnin today. I'm ready to clock out and peep this. He ain't M.A.N.T.I.S. anymore.
    I was surprised to see Lumbly too, I didn't think the show would even go that route, but they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I was surprised to see Lumbly too, I didn't think the show would even go that route, but they did.
    lol RIGHT! If I get Lemar Hoskins at some point in this show my head might pop off.
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

lol RIGHT! If I get Lemar Hoskins at some point in this show my head might pop off.
    I have something that might help with your exploded head

Ultimate Member

In one of the most random pieces of news ever, Ronda Rousey revealed that her great grand-father is African-American.

Not just any African-Amercian but Dr Alfred Waddell, one of North America's 1st black physicists.

We learn new things every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I have something that might help with your exploded head
    Attachment 107796

My neck is still loose.
    You bet yer ass.

In one of the most random pieces of news ever, Ronda Rousey revealed that her great grand-father is African-American.

Not just any African-Amercian but Dr Alfred Waddell, one of North America's 1st black physicists.

We learn new things every day.
    This isn't a recent revelation. I don't follow Rousey or MMA closely but still I knew about this. Read about it a few years back.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

BANNED

Not really.

Germany paid the Israelis billions in reparations and it hasn't in anyway erased the horrors of the Holocaust.

If anything, it adds more weight to it because its a constant reminder to the Germans of the injustices visited upon the Jews.
    Full disclosure, first: I'm a white fella expressing an opinion on reparations so keep that in mind and second: haven't studied these issues beyond the occasional news article or political discussion thread but in my opinion paying reparations vs dealing with the moral consequences of slavery and its role in our foundation and establishment is more like the difference between a civil and criminal trial in court. For the most famous example I can think of, OJ Simpson and the murder of his wife and lover. Assuming you believe he did it (and he did write a book called, "If I Did It" describing how he would have done it) he was acquitted in his criminal trial for tainted evidence leaving not enough to convict him beyond a reasonable doubt, but there was enough to convince a judge he was responsible in the civil trial and force him to pay damages to the families.

In our case there's not only no tainted evidence, we talk about it openly all of the time. So the moral crime is still there and will never be gone. The financial benefits extracted and debt owed, however, are things that we can attempt to quantify and settle financially. Whether this comes in the form of direct cash payments, preferential/priority status for certain government programs/loans/scholarships/grants/etc., or in other ways that I'm not familiar with but seem acceptable (or some combination of all of these) is also something we can figure out.

I'm sure some on the right and among the white supremacist community will then say, "We paid that debt so now stop talking about it" but they'd say the same thing today without the debt being paid and I'd say would be just as wrong then as they are now, so why worry about their opinions?

It's appropriate that Lumbly was on this show as the first black super soldier seeing as how he was the first black superhero on live-action American television.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    This isn't a recent revelation. I don't follow Rousey or MMA closely but still I knew about this. Read about it a few years back.
    Interesting. I never knew about this until recently.

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    I hope you laid some towels down to save the sofa and whatnot. ��
    end of spoilers