Page 5 of 821 FirstFirst 1234567891555105505 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I'm not proud of this, I've certainly done it.

Jared Leto/Dallas Buyer's Club. First place my mind went was "That character is probably a sex worker."
    Well I thought the same exact thing.

Short Fur Coat +Miniskirt and/or Boots= Hooker on TV and Movies and has since the 70's.

It can be two things: Comic Fans can be racist asshats AND The costume designer for Titans is utterly inept.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    And more of RJ Cyler!

I mentioned this before but both myself and my cousin's son ( whom I call my nephew) are on the spectrum and seeing a positive portrayal like that of someone with Autism really meant a lot to us.
    Yup Rj as well. He was definitely the heart of the first film!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Yeah... sorry... she looks like a prostitute lol
    I mean, if you had to put a sign by that picture of her, and the sign said: "Booty for rent", would anyone be surprised?

It's a bad outfit. It's a bad, bad, outfit. The first victim was that poor woman on social media. The second, was fashion itself!
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Ultimate Member

[QUOTE=Carabas;3832942]
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well, yes.
    But racist asshats not being okay with Starfire being played by a non-white actor is not related to the fur coat making her look like a sex worker. If you put that exact same outfit on Melissa Benoist, with or without wig, it would make her look like a sex worker too.
    If Melissa wore that-it would be ONLY about that outfit. With a few comments about feminism.

In the beginning it was about that outfit-a legit complaint about a badly done outfit.

HOWEVER that outfit OPENED the door for every racist to attack that black actress. Lead by folks who would never watch that show in the first place-it just gave them a shot to go after a black women-who they feel should NOT be employed.

This is nothing new-we have seen this before.

How did all the hate for Female Ghostbusters turn in to an attack on Leslie Jones? Not the white female lead-Melissa McCarthy- I didn't see not one plot to shoot up or boycott her films like with the next two guys-

FF 2015 hate only targeted Michael B. Jordan.

Star Wars TFA & LJ-funny how John Boyega was the main target and aside from Kelly-no one else got trolled. Laura Dern hasn't been boycotted.

No one CARED about the TMNT or the many reboots they do UNTIL 3 blacks got hired and April became black.

The Marvel backlash-funny only POC, LGBT & women lead books got attacked. Funny the main targets aside from Ms Marvel are Riri & Moon Girl.

Batman has how many support staff? No one screamed boycott of the book until DUKE showed up. He's even blamed for Batman 50.

We won't talk Amandla Stenberg-the hate she gets for just existing. Nor Storm Reid.

Nor the certain comic group going after KWANZA OSAJYEFO to the point they want him ERASED off of Kickstarter.

It's not by accident it's mainly one group. And folks want to scream saying this deflects real conversations about the product.

Yet WHO starts it? Us who bring it up? Or the folks who start the harassment.

BANNED

[QUOTE=skyvolt2000;3834740]
    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post

If Melissa wore that-it would be ONLY about that outfit. With a few comments about feminism.

In the beginning it was about that outfit-a legit complaint about a badly done outfit.

HOWEVER that outfit OPENED the door for every racist to attack that black actress. Lead by folks who would never watch that show in the first place-it just gave them a shot to go after a black women-who they feel should NOT be employed.

This is nothing new-we have seen this before.

How did all the hate for Female Ghostbusters turn in to an attack on Leslie Jones? Not the white female lead-Melissa McCarthy- I didn't see not one plot to shoot up or boycott her films like with the next two guys-

FF 2015 hate only targeted Michael B. Jordan.

Star Wars TFA & LJ-funny how John Boyega was the main target and aside from Kelly-no one else got trolled. Laura Dern hasn't been boycotted.

No one CARED about the TMNT or the many reboots they do UNTIL 3 blacks got hired and April became black.

The Marvel backlash-funny only POC, LGBT & women lead books got attacked. Funny the main targets aside from Ms Marvel are Riri & Moon Girl.

Batman has how many support staff? No one screamed boycott of the book until DUKE showed up. He's even blamed for Batman 50.

We won't talk Amandla Stenberg-the hate she gets for just existing. Nor Storm Reid.

Nor the certain comic group going after KWANZA OSAJYEFO to the point they want him ERASED off of Kickstarter.

It's not by accident it's mainly one group. And folks want to scream saying this deflects real conversations about the product.

Yet WHO starts it? Us who bring it up? Or the folks who start the harassment.
    Racist jackasses will be racist jackasses and have never needed the excuse f a crappy costume to be racist jackasses.

I doubt that if Anna Diop had been given the best costume ever she would not have received any less abuse. Some other excuse would have been found if needed. Racist jackasses are good at that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Comic Book Kory outfit looked like swimwear (the Pretzel specifically) that some lunatic added a pair of matching thigh high boots to.

But Superheroes and Aliens don't dress like normal folk, so it made sense for Starfire.

TV Starfire looked like she should be working for Bishop Don Magic Juan or as a member of Rick James girl group the Mary Jane Girls.

As its 2018, and not 1982 this isn't excusable in any way, P.C. be damned.

You can have either the dated short fur coat or the horrible pink wig but not both.

They chose to do both those things all by themselves.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    There is more than one thing going on that is getting jumbled into one argument.

1. People are treating this actor like **** because she is black. This is true, no one is arguing that point here. comic fans are the worst and racist comic fans are the worst of the worst.

2. People are calling her outfit prostituteish because she is black. I don't agree with that at all. It is because she looks like how HOLLYWOOD (important distinction) portrays a prostitute in a fur coat and dress.

Frankly, #2 is all DC's fault. They should have never tried to adapt that shitty comic costume into live action on a shitty budget and then turn around and release a shitty photo without taking a step back and going, "yo this is going to be taken wrong."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's not about showing skin, I'd argue that an actual bikini would have been less provocative ( at least among comics fans). I get that the TV producers wanted to have he look like a hot girl going to a night club, but what they came up with is tacky and yeah...looks like something you'd see a streetwalker or a "fallen" woman wearing on an old cop shop.

And that's the entire point, comic book fans designs is so warped that somehow showing a fur coat is more provocative than the one-two piece swimsuites just illustrates how behind the times the concept design of costumes are. I mean do we really need a reminder of the backlash Wonder Woman faced for having pants?

Just to clarify, I'm not saying the costume is horrible. It's definitely tacky. What I have an issue with is the correlation of this = sex worker due to

1, Someone wearing a fur coat due to old hollywood costumes is somehow more provocative and revealing then someone like Sonia or Starfire's old costume.

2, the correlation of sex worker = negativity, which is a huge problem within America due to it's constant ridicule of sexuality.

So the status of the Cyborg movie is still up in the air, but apparently he's going to be a series regular in Doom Patrol. Now it just feels like they're throwing ideas against the wall with what to do with Cyborg.
    http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/08/09/d...n-wade-cyborg/

Always Punch Nazis - This comic kickstarter may be of interest to people in this thread https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ys-punch-nazis[/QUOTE]
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    So the status of the Cyborg movie is still up in the air, but apparently he's going to be a series regular in Doom Patrol. Now it just feels like they're throwing ideas against the wall with what to do with Cyborg.
    This is really telling to me. Given that WB hates having two different versions of the same people in TV and movies (remember when they made Arrow kill off Amanda Waller and Deadshot, and barred the shows from using Harley Quinn and Captain Boomerang anymore to avoid conflict with the Suicide Squad movie?), this just makes me even more certain that damn Cyborg movie ain't happening.

I feel bad for Ray Fisher because he goes super hard for Cyborg and it just becomes more and more obvious the WB/DC don't know what to do with Vic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    Or...he's next in line for the triple crown of animation, live-action Film and (now) live-action series.

This puts him in exclusive company.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Unwinding the cord of Black Casting in the Arrowverse...

"Hey! Idea! Let's make Starfire Black. The comic version is orange anyway, so really, she can be played by just about anyone."

"Okay, cool. Let's do that! Wow, we're good at this. We're progressive. Oh, but wait--"

"What?"

"Cyborg. He's already black."

"Ohhhh. Right. Two of those."

"Yeah. Yeah. Two of thoooose."

"Well, we have to think about demographics? Okay? You know how the traditionalists feel about having more than two of thooooose onscreen at the same time."

"Yeah, the traditionalists! We barely get away with it on the Flash! People get uncomfortable watching Joe and Iris interact, y'know. They're like, "Is he gonna hit her?"

"Violence against women is no joke!"

"Preach! I practice my feminist values every day. Love dies when hate wins."

"Shame about Andy Kreisberg, though."

"I know! Damn b****s couldn't keep their mouths shut over a little harmless attention? Now we've lost one of the good ones.

"I could cry. I could seriously cry."

"Heh. It's kind of funny, though, right? We're gonna make Starfire black but we can't have two blacks--

"Don't say "blacks" that's not okay."

--Two people of African heritage--

"Much better."

-- on the same team so let's shuffle Cyborg over to the Doom Patrol. Oh! And just to make sure people are extra okay with Starfire, let's add Hawk and Dove!"

"Wow! That's brilliant! Swapping Cyborg for Hawk and Dove is like trading a brownie for a wedding cake!"

"I thought you'd like it!"

"I'm sold! Let's go celebrate! I'll call up Kreisberg and see if he wants to come snort some coke out of Melissa Benoist's armpit."

"They had SUCH a fun set!"
    Last edited by Handsome men don't lose fights; 08-10-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Unwinding the cord of Black Casting in the Arrowverse...

"Hey! Idea! Let's make Starfire Black. The comic version is orange anyway, so really, she can be played by just about anyone."

"Okay, cool. Let's do that! Wow, we're good at this. We're progressive. Oh, but wait--"

"What?"

"Cyborg. He's already black."

"Ohhhh. Right. Two of those."

"Yeah. Yeah. Two of thoooose."
    What? Two or more of those like in every Arrowverse show ever? What are you on about?