Page 501 of 827 FirstFirst ... 401451491497498499500501502503504505511551601 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,515 of 12395
    Invincible Member

Hmm... as such as I liked Tom King's Mr Miracle, I kinda feel it wouldn't have translated well to the screen and if that was going to be Ava's approach to the New Gods, it's probably just as well the project ended. Even if they pulled it off, I think the movie audience might have been thrown off expecting a big action flick and getting a psychological drama with costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Eh, Olympus Has Fallen was way more entertaining than the other one lol
    I disagree strongly.

Ultimate Member

This is unfortunate.

Although Tom King’s writing isn’t to my taste now. I like his earlier stuff but his writing lately has become so deliberately non-linear that it borders on pretentious.

I’m not saying it’s bad but I find myself enjoying his stuff less and less.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This is unfortunate.

Although Tom King’s writing isn’t to my taste now. I like his earlier stuff but his writing lately has become so deliberately non-linear that it borders on pretentious.

I’m not saying it’s bad but I find myself enjoying his stuff less and less.
    I love the new gods, Orion is one of my favorite characters, but I don't know how well they would have translated to film. They might have been a little too esoteric for the average film goer. I liked King's Mister Miracle but it kind of fizzled out in the end.

What are WB's plans with DC?

The Batman and what else? Is Aquaman 2 confired/filmed at all?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

What are WB's plans with DC?

The Batman and what else? Is Aquaman 2 confired/filmed at all?
    Superman, Shazam 2 and Batman.

I think they’re doing Aquaman 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Superman, Shazam 2 and Batman.

I think they’re doing Aquaman 2.
    I mean, at this point, Superman is just as confirmed as New Gods was right?

Oh Black Adam is 100% confirmed right?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

Yup. Dwayne Johnson was an Executive Producer on the first "Shazam!" (currently my favorite of the DC movies, post-Nolan Batman), and if they do this right they could make a Shazam/Black Adam corner of the DCCU (is that a thing) that outperforms the "Big 3". And who wouldn't want to see a big-screen version of Superman vs Captain Marvel/Shazam? Also, the mythology aspect of Shazam/Black Adam could easily be tied to the Amazons and Wonder Woman. Mayhap too much to hope for, but why not a Wonder Woman/Black Adam romance? Could help soften him, if they're going anti-hero rather than villain (and if you're going to have him be the star of a movie, and use a name like Dwayne Johnson, I hope he's not a villain).

I mean, at this point, Superman is just as confirmed as New Gods was right?

Oh Black Adam is 100% confirmed right?
    The more I hear about the Black Adam movie, the more I'm convinced it isn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I love the new gods, Orion is one of my favorite characters, but I don't know how well they would have translated to film. They might have been a little too esoteric for the average film goer. I liked King's Mister Miracle but it kind of fizzled out in the end.
    I always thought it odd to pair Duvernay with King from the jump. Seemed too reactionary to the cosmic stuff the MCU was doing at the time. The plan wasn't to go straight to film with this deconstruct reimagine work of King's was it? Even among the dorks 4th world isn't quite the most universally loved thing out there, me myself is a huge Scott and Barda fan but the rest of them don't hold a lot of pull for me. It's a huge playscape and goes beyond the talking tree and racoon rationale. There's a lot of angles and characters that dont have to fit in a linear form and I feel without a Kirby appreciation overall, it's going end up being a Ragnorok rip-off. Orion could hold his own movie so not sure how we would have gone straight to 4th world interventions before telling some kind if origin story first.

Likely this is Covid related too, theaters are going to come back but I wouldn't be able to talk my wife into a night at the movie for months still. Specially since we're paying for almost half a dozen streaming services. A 300mil sci-fi budget may not rock the same with no worldwide bix office. And nobodies even seen Black Widow yet.

And this is mostly WB ****, they cancelled 2 projects here and nothing not already in production seems coming. They'll always do right by Batman if nothing else. I like Duvernay and hope she gets a shot at something else big, not called Wrinkle In Time.
    Last edited by Surf; 04-02-2021 at 07:59 AM.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I always thought it odd to pair Duvernay with King from the jump. Seemed too reactionary to the cosmic stuff the MCU was doing at the time. The plan wasn't to go straight to film with this deconstruct reimagine work of King's was it? Even among the dorks 4th world isn't quite the most universally loved thing out there, me myself is a huge Scott and Barda fan but the rest of them don't hold a lot of pull for me. It's a huge playscape and goes beyond the talking tree and racoon rationale. There's a lot of angles and characters that dont have to fit in a linear form and I feel without a Kirby appreciation overall, it's going end up being a Ragnorok rip-off. Orion could hold his own movie so not sure how we would have gone straight to 4th world interventions before telling some kind if origin story first.

Likely this is Covid related too, theaters are going to come back but I wouldn't be able to talk my wife into a night at the movie for months still. Specially since we're paying for almost half a dozen streaming services. A 300mil sci-fi budget may not rock the same with no worldwide bix office. And nobodies even seen Black Widow yet.

And this is mostly WB ****, they cancelled 2 projects here and nothing not already in production seems coming. They'll always do right by Batman if nothing else. I like Duvernay and hope she gets a shot at something else big, not called Wrinkle In Time.
    Credit to Duvernay, A wrinkle in time didn't lend itself to her strengths and was difficult to adapt to film from the jump, much like Dune, though they keep trying. I have it on audible, I have to finish it before the movie comes out in the fall. I was more worried about King because of the way he wrote Orion. Kirby and Simonson were the only writers who didn't make him into a seething, snarling, simpleton. I feel like the new gods is too much like 70's prog rock. The themes are all over the place, the songs are lengthy and grandiose. The gates of delirium is a 20 minute song about war. I like it, but I get why it's off putting.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I guess it depends. I always figured the main draw was 1) Orion struggling not to become his father, 2) Scott and Big Barda's romance. So a New Gods movie could be mostly tackling those things. I know there's a LOT more elements to it, but those are things the average movie goer could latch on to. Oh and Kalibak as the Fredo to Orion's Michael maybe? lol

However...

How tf could Highfather not be considered a bastard for that trade? lol So yeah that could be something else that could have been used in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I guess it depends. I always figured the main draw was 1) Orion struggling not to become his father, 2) Scott and Big Barda's romance. So a New Gods movie could be mostly tackling those things. I know there's a LOT more elements to it, but those are things the average movie goer could latch on to. Oh and Kalibak as the Fredo to Orion's Michael maybe? lol

However...

How tf could Highfather not be considered a bastard for that trade? lol So yeah that could be something else that could have been used in the film.
    *Ahem* ... "I have sent my only begotten son..."

Just have him saying that he was sure that however evil Darkseid and his lieutenants might be, he's knows that not everyone in Apokalips is irredeemable, so sending Scott was a way to provide some kind of hope/path of redemption for whoever could be saved, there. The practicality or truth of his thinking that would be exemplified in Barda, right?

I mean, still makes him sending his kid there pretty questionable, but not just an outright dick move...
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post

Just have him saying that he was sure that however evil Darkseid and his lieutenants might be, he's knows that not everyone in Apokalips is irredeemable, so sending Scott was a way to provide some kind of hope/path of redemption for whoever could be saved, there. The practicality or truth of his thinking that would be exemplified in Barda, right?

I mean, still makes him sending his kid there pretty questionable, but not just an outright dick move...
    True, true...now I'm thinking to tackle ALL of that the movie would have to be at least 3 hours. :/ Now I'm curious what exactly Ava DuVernay had in mind, or if it was just going to be a stealth Mister Miracle movie.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post

If I remember the original 70s New Gods run, the exchange was the only way to avoid total mutual destruction or something at the time.

It wasn't a nice move for sure but at the time, I think it was necessary to at least attain a cease fire.