Page 506 of 827 FirstFirst ... 6406456496502503504505506507508509510516556606 ... LastLast
Results 7,576 to 7,590 of 12396
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    It's also never, can never be about systemic racism. Lol, what kind of 'movie' would that even be. Centuries of American history can only be pulled parts and chunks from cinematically and honestly most of it completely unflattering, to say the least. I'd argue Native American's don't even have the little pockets of... entertaining introspection(?) that Black folks, must even bend to even have.

Hmmp, I was tryin' to think of a movie that fell into the latter and 1,000%, Green Book would be that.
    Native American history is probably even more subjected to White savior narratives than Black history, from what I've scene

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    It's usually a mustache twirling, blatant, beat you over the head racist. Rarely is it ever passive aggressive "I would have voted for Obama a third time, I have a black best friend, Wassup my N-word." Liberal hipster racism that people think doesn't exist. The kind of people that love listening to black voices, as long as its Barack or Michelle Obama, Beyonce, Or Oprah. Maybe Dave Chappelle if they're in the mood.
    Quoted for the purest truth.

“White liberals are those who have perfected the art of selling themselves to the black man as our ‘friend’ to get our sympathy, our allegiance and our minds. The white liberal attempts to use us politically against white conservatives, so that anything the black man does is never for his own good, never for his advancement, never for his own progress, he’s only a pawn in the hands of the white liberal"- Malcolm X.

This is very common these days and it's something that POC really need to be very aware of. It's now being enveloped in politics of "victimhood" but when you drill down, it's just a couple of people trying to win arguments against other people and they try to use the minority experience to boost their argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    It's usually a mustache twirling, blatant, beat you over the head racist. Rarely is it ever passive aggressive "I would have voted for Obama a third time, I have a black best friend, Wassup my N-word." Liberal hipster racism that people think doesn't exist. The kind of people that love listening to black voices, as long as its Barack or Michelle Obama, Beyonce, Or Oprah. Maybe Dave Chappelle if they're in the mood.
    Hmmm, facts. People gotta remember, a movie with that level observation wasn't even a thing until recently, even then it wouldn't be the central theme. It would have to be quite veiled. I can't think of a movie before Hollywood Shuffle that even broached some of those themes. That was a very serious movie disguised as a comedy and that's how it got made. Few and far (decades) between.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Well, a lot of White people don't really want to hear any PoC experiences which make them uncomfortable or have to reflect on how they benefit from racism.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

I'm not sure why he was still getting high profile gigs. Whedon is toxic AF.
    If Hollywood wants you-they will find a way to get you WORK.

Especially if you shut up and stay quiet and not bring attention to yourself.

Notice how many white folks who have gotten in trouble have been MIA.

What they do is take LOW PROFILE PROJECTS and creep back up.

Be it music video, online shows, books or SOMETHING-they come back.

And don't forget we got kickstarter and other online funder raisers now.

If Wheldon says I need 2 million for a movie and uses Kickstarter-yall think he WON'T get that and more?

And lets not forget how many folks have used OTHER names to write?

I still don't get all this complaining about racism being a central topic in stories about PoC characters when Hollywood has barely acknowledged systemic racism exists
    The issue is there is MORE to us than that. And the acknowledgment of systemic racism has ALWAYS been there.

Example-Static Shock. When the WB asked Milestone for Static this is what they wanted at first.

Static as a WHITE MALE.
    When that did not work.
    Static from a single MOTHER household. Having BOTH parents were NEVER an option.
    Static had both parents in the comic.

Mario Van Peebles wanted to do a movie about a black family. He was told NO unless they were in the HOOD.

Black writer was told she could NOT write about a black skater boarder because "black folks don't do that". Kareem Campbell say HI.

Some food for thought-we keep hearing we need US in the behind the scenes.....

Family Matters...

https://freshedits.com/star-dust/loo...psed-by-urkel/

The Producers’ Racist Joke
    As Payton recalled, they were given a script, and when she read it for the first time, she didn’t say anything to anybody. She figured they would just rewrite it. But then all the extras came in, and they performed the scene to time it up for everybody.

That’s when Uncle Cornelius came in. Jaleel White, as Urkel, said his line: “Hi, Uncle Cornelius. How’s the baboon heart? Don’t let me catch you hanging from the chandelier.” The camera was then to land on Uncle Cornelius, who was “this very, very dark-skinned man.”

Payton was so upset by the remark. She even heard some of the producers laughing. Payton heard one of the producers say, “Put a banana in his hand.” She then spoke with VelJohnson (or Reggie, as she called him) about the line.

She told him, “Reggie, you need to go and straighten this out because I’m about to tear the ceiling off the place. Go and straighten it out.” And that’s exactly what he did. Thankfully, the actors had enough pull, as well as integrity, to take a stand!
    Now mind you one of the creators was BLACK and one was the uncle to a cast member. 11 of the writers were BLACK. 5 black producers.
    How did that joke get through?

Interesting I can't find an uncle Cornelius just Urkel's cousin (who would have gotten Myra in season 10). So either it got cut or rewritten.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The issue is there is MORE to us than that. And the acknowledgment of systemic racism has ALWAYS been there.
    I'm well aware of the experiences of PoC being much than that. But the feeling I get from this thread is somehow every story about PoC is about racism, when I don't see that to be true at all. Plus a bunch of these posts are pointing out racism in Hollywood anyway, so I don't really get what's going on here. Hollywood hasn't really been always willing to acknowledge racism. In fact, a lot of negative experiences which PoC face are routinely ignored instead of addressed.

Extraordinary Member

We just can't catch a break.

Extraordinary Member

Exactly.

I'm not sure why he was still getting high profile gigs. Whedon is toxic AF.
    Up until Justice League, Whedon had never made anything that wasn't either a critical success a commercial success or both.

Also by the time Avengers came out, he was working with a cast full of Stars AND Industry Vets. That likely curbed his worst impulses.

He may not have liked taking notes, but if Robert Downey is giving them to him, Whedon is gonna take those notes and like it or else.

Because if he tries to flex on RDJ or Scarlett he will lose that battle and they would have replaced him with someone like Shane Black with the quickness.

If Marvel could tell Edgar Wright to walk they would have had no problem telling him where to go.

Justice League was ripe for Whedon's fuckery because the only person who had any clout on that set was Affleck who was likely just there to get paid. He knew to not mess with him.

Everyone else however, was either a acting rookie or had a career strictly on TV. He figured they had less clout than he. So they were all fair game to him.

Ultimate Member

It's good this kind of thing is coming to light, but I don't know how much tangible change will happen in the immediate future

Astonishing Member

Just so you know, you're link is broken.

Still, just from the copied title/synopsis, I can believe this to be true, despite how Black people, especially the older Internet-using generations, are very loyal to Facebook (and its secret sister site, Instagram, which is popular for both young and old).

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Hey, Magic: The Gathering, Your Story Is Doing Great Without The Racist Tropes
    by
    Ash Parrish
    While I'm not versed in Magic like I am in Yu-Gi-Oh!, I think it'd be cautious not to go throwing all one's chips in Magic: The Gathering's corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    It's good this kind of thing is coming to light, but I don't know how much tangible change will happen in the immediate future
    Nothing, nothing real anyway.

Hollywood is a cesspool. You think Weinstein was the only one doing what he was doing? You think Whedon is the only dickhead director who was also a creepball on top?

Look how much **** Ray took for saying anything at all... and he ended up being collaborated. And his big acting career may still be done. And what did he gain? Helping ot end the career of someone who probably didn't have much of one left after Justice League anyway? At the cost of his own career? Why would anyone say anything?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    We just can't catch a break.

God bless this man. Unfortunately this is not even a particularly unique situation, there are truly 2 Americas. One day you wake up and the choice is put in front of you to potentially be killed by some bigoted ******* or to be killed by the police response to the threat of the bigoted *******. 11 minutes, you had to restrain some fucking herb with a gun, who intends to do you... and your wife harm, ON YOUR JOB. While you wait for what you hope is an adequate response from the cops. Keeping in mind this is Arizona.

I'm clearly not wrapped as tight as this Man. How he restrained, from at least breaking this lunatic's arm is something I can not even comprehend, nuff respect.

6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other. I'll take my chances with 6 cops wielding semi-autos who 'feared for their lives'.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Nothing, nothing real anyway.

Hollywood is a cesspool. You think Weinstein was the only one doing what he was doing? You think Whedon is the only dickhead director who was also a creepball on top?

Look how much **** Ray took for saying anything at all... and he ended up being collaborated. And his big acting career may still be done. And what did he gain? Helping ot end the career of someone who probably didn't have much of one left after Justice League anyway? At the cost of his own career? Why would anyone say anything?
    Seeing recent events in history, when people in power are accused, especially White guys, someone always brings up "innocent until proven guilty", even when it's obvious they're monsters, like Weinstein. Meanwhile PoC are unfairly beaten and killed by authorities and vigilantes. Where's the due process there?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    God bless this man. Unfortunately this is not even a particularly unique situation, there are truly 2 Americas. One day you wake up and the choice is put in front of you to potentially be killed by some bigoted ******* or to be killed by the police response to the threat of the bigoted *******. 11 minutes, you had to restrain some fucking herb with a gun, who intends to do you... and your wife harm, ON YOUR JOB. While you wait for what you hope is an adequate response from the cops. Keeping in mind this is Arizona.

I'm clearly not wrapped as tight as this Man. How he restrained, from at least breaking this lunatic's arm is something I can not even comprehend, nuff respect.

6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other. I'll take my chances with 6 cops wielding semi-autos who 'feared for their lives'.
    Agreed.

Honestly, Mr Odubanjo showed a lot of restraint. Instead of calling for the cops, I’d probably call for a knife or something to really mess that guy up.

But what’s really disturbing is that ******* was released almost immediately and the lady miscarried. That is so messed up.

Mental illness, racism and ridiculous gun laws is a truly terrible mix.

Agreed.

Honestly, Mr Odubanjo showed a lot of restraint. Instead of calling for the cops, I’d probably call for a knife or something to really mess that guy up.

But what’s really disturbing is that ******* was released almost immediately and the lady miscarried. That is so messed up.

Mental illness, racism and ridiculous gun laws is a truly terrible mix.
    Yup, to recap:

Black Couple:

- Wife made uncomfortable by all lives matters bullshit one on one with this dude
    - Service on truck had to be stopped prematurely so husband could come
    - had gun pulled on them
    - had to restrain said gunman while waiting for multiple cops to pull up locked and loaded
    - ended up getting kicked out of shared kitchen
    - ended up miscarried
    - business might be screwed

White Guy:

- prolly get off with probation for brandishing.

Cool System there
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html