Page 515 of 827 FirstFirst ... 15415465505511512513514515516517518519525565615 ... LastLast
Results 7,711 to 7,725 of 12396
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    What, of course he is. He's portrayed as charming and STRONG couple that with 'being right' he's fuckin' 1974 Billy Dee Williams to a certain segment of the male fandom.

As opposed to say Red Skull, who is not charming, strong still but less right. And that's mostly because the swastika he's been known to rock is an early victim of cancel culture.
    I like the villains but honestly they're still evil. It seems some have forgotten that

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    The amount of Thanos penises i've deleted on reddit is too damn high lol
    Ironically this proves he was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I like the villains but honestly they're still evil. It seems some have forgotten that
    !
    Huge segment of the internet fandom has forgotten you can like a villain and not "love them" and then think they are perfect.

Loki is a perfect example. This dude's bodycount is insane. Dude is a selfish dickhead at best.

In Thor....

- Got the guards killed in the beginning of the movie.
    - tried to kill Heimdell
    - tried to kill Thor
    - leveled a town for no real reason
    - killed tons of Jotuns for no reason and tried to blow up their planet
    - Since Thor had to destroy the bridge to stop Jotunheim from blowing up, it caused war throughout the nine realms resulting in countless deaths again

In Avengers... killed SHIELD agents, ripped an eyeball out, caused a mass invasion that killed countless people

In Thor 2... he pointed to Kurse where to go to get the force field taken down (resulting in countless deaths) AND which got his mom killed. And then he puts Odin in a spell, taking over the throne... and sitting on his ass while Thor goes around and tries to stop chaos in the realms again (more deaths)

In Thor 3... Loki does do **** to help Thor on Sakaar. Then tries to betray him once again just to keep power in Sakar.

... all because Odin didn't tell him he was adopted and he was raised a PRINCE instead of a King lol.

And the internet loves the dude! He's a great villain... he's a shithead though lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

I like to watch him, and he's entertaining, but he still needs to pay in some way for what he's done. Even the heroes' crimes are sometimes handwaved

I like to watch him, and he's entertaining, but he still needs to pay in some way for what he's done.
    ... he got his neck snapped lol

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

... he got his neck snapped lol
    Well, there's a question, do you think that his death in Infinity War was selfless? The whole sequence on the Asgardian ship starts with him held hostage by the Black Order while Thanos does his thing, but following the fight with Hulk and Heimdall's death, they make it look like Loki had been at least temporarily forgotten, but he chooses to step out and try to kill Thanos, anyway ... even though he obviously didn't think that would work, and just as obviously would have just been killed by the Black Order, if it had.

I suppose he could guess they probably planned to kill him anyway, so best to go out at least trying to fight? And not as if he had a way to escape from the ship even if he'd wanted to. Well, they made it look kind of selfless ... I guess he could have legitimately tried to re-join Thanos' gang, and probably end up still killed, anyway. So of his two most likely options, he picked the better one.

Edit: Also, I haven't seen Luther, but sight unseen, I'd have to disagree with a criticism about not being "authentic". While most behind the camera may have been white, Elba is black, and a good actor -- going to guess that he did not create a character that did not seem real, human and authentic to him. So, again without having actually seen the show, I think calling for the character to be more culturally coded as "black" probably has the ironic consequence of attempting to lessen POC diversity. You know, like the fictional equivalent of all the people in real life who are told they are not "black enough" for various things that may defy people's expectations of how people are supposed to behave.
    Last edited by Adam Allen; 04-15-2021 at 09:51 AM.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Well, there's a question, do you think that his death in Infinity War was selfless? The whole sequence on the Asgardian ship starts with him held hostage by the Black Order while Thanos does his thing, but following the fight with Hulk and Heimdall's death, they make it look like Loki had been at least temporarily forgotten, but he chooses to step out and try to kill Thanos, anyway ... even though he obviously didn't think that would work, and just as obviously would have just been killed by the Black Order, if it had.

I suppose he could guess they probably planned to kill him anyway, so best to go out at least trying to fight? And not as if he had a way to escape from the ship even if he'd wanted to. Well, they made it look kind of selfless ... I guess he could have legitimately tried to re-join Thanos' gang, and probably end up still killed, anyway. So of his two most likely options, he picked the better one.
    His other option was to take the tesseract and teleport out and leave Thor and the rest to die.

So, it was kind of selfless I guess?

Ultimate Member

I agree he did pay, I'm just saying it's good he didn't get away with his crimes. But D+ Loki is still evil as far as I know

But Thanos isn't even attractive by conventional standards.
    He doesn't need to be (and besides monster fetishists exist). All he needs is to cool, powerful and come across like he has a point even on the most superficial level. Dr Doom has a face so disfigured he has to hide it behind a mask but that doesn't stop certain fans from viewing him as a hero.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    He doesn't need to be (and besides monster fetishists exist). All he needs is to cool, powerful and come across like he has a point even on the most superficial level. Dr Doom has a face so disfigured he has to hide it behind a mask but that doesn't stop certain fans from viewing him as a hero.
    But what about the actual heroes, who don't commit horrible acts to achieve their goals (plot-induced character assassinations aside).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    This, an appropriate designation.

Also. This is also part of the struggle, just being seen, as an equal. In ways it's still a trapping, Idris Elba is an international movie star, there ain't but one of him that's as big as he is, and there ain't but one Luther (I've tried to watch it, not saying it isn't cool but here in America, we've seen a type of this procedural times before). It also plays to Elba's strengths, dude speaks in interviews a bit more culturally that the roles he's played would convey.
    Agreed, though I admit to being a little confused about the main idea of your second paragraph.

His other option was to take the tesseract and teleport out and leave Thor and the rest to die.

So, it was kind of selfless I guess?
    Maybe. I guess it is meant to be something of a gray area -- like Loki's morality is supposed to be? At least, Kid Loki in the comics, and almost certainly the upcoming Disney's show's version.

Because he didn't have the Tesseract in hand, when the Hulk/Heimdall thing was done. He dropped it to grab Thor when Hulk jumped out, and afterwards the Ebony Maw had it, and handed it to Thanos. Maybe he had the option to grab it again, during the fight ... but, if his motivation had been to just run and leave everyone else, he probably could have done so at any point before that, including at the start of the attack.

Still not clear to call his not doing so selfless though, when we recall that the whole reason Thanos was attacking in the first place was because Loki had the Tesseract. I mean, it's not like he didn't know Thanos would be looking for it, so might have been better if he'd resisted the temptation, back on Asgard.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Agreed, though I admit to being a little confused about the main idea of your second paragraph.
    I mean, it's on the back of what you said...

Because at the end of the day, Luther was still a Black character on a show that lasted 8-9 years being written and directed by a White writer, who deliberately fashioned the character in such a way that they wouldn't have to worry, in their minds at least, about portraying Luther as anything beyond a generic (and defaultly so) template.
    Because at the end of the day, Luther, good bad or indifferent doesn't get made, imo, lasting 8-9 years, without Idirs Elba, biggest international Black movie star on the planet.

One one hand, anything culturally is a lot- too much, to put on his specific shoulders in terms of portrayal. 1. Especially since like you said, the workings behind the scenes might not be as diverse as one would have where the interactions in front of the camera might lie. And I've seen interviews with him where he's seem really cool and 'get's it' on whatever level I might assign. Also from what I've gotten hip to on this very thread. Black Brittish television in general is even at fewer numbers than what we've grown to know in America. So his portrayal is still good because 2. Yes, Black is not a monolith.

I'm talking worldwide here. The caveat being there is only 1 Idris Elba, and that's by a mile. To that end Will Smith and Denzel are part of the same coin and the goes the steep drop-off. Luther was 1 show, any critique of any of it needs to pulled way back, they're asking the wrong question. Why the subject of this one scrap on the bone, as an outlier to even begin with to me, is where the questions might should begin. This is an issue that cornball Jason Statham, with his dozen movies that all dance to the same beat, doesn't have to deal with.

And just so there's no misconstruing, there should be a fucking ton of International Black movie stars. They can do it all. Yes I have a few in the States but there are voices all over that should be coming here, to America, for an audience. Unfortunately, like Elba, one usually has to blow up here first. Like he did with The Wire, one of very favorite shows of all time btw, but he has the added boost of being Brittish so there is a double dip that isn't an available lane for the Black actors working here.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Extraordinary Member

I've seen Luther and it's the kind of Prestige British Police Procedural that gets made to showcase a particular actor/actress' chops.

Particularly when that actor is not quite a movie star yet but is getting too big for conventional British TV.
    I know Helen Mirrien had one of these as well (Prime Suspect). Sherlock is also effectively this kind of show. You could have put anybody in the role which is kind of the point with these kind of shows.

Yeah Luther is a cultural cipher but it's not like any of these shows ever do much in that area even for Whites let alone POCs, The only place you will see regional ethnics on British TV is if you are watching a comedy or Soap Operas. British TV producers seem to think audiences find accents other than TV Anchorman Recieved English hilarious. Chris Elecelson who played the ninth Doctor complained about this also.

Point is this is a weird thing to attack Luthor in particular for given what British TV is like.

Ultimate Member

I've watched some British shows but had no idea they were like this. I always thought British shows were a bit more egalitarian because not everyone is a sexy supermodel, and because there were a lot of mixed race and PoC characters on shows. Shows you what I know

Ultimate Member

Regarding the Daunte Wright case, Pat Robertson of all people said he can’t believe a police officer can mix up a gun and a taser. He also said that he’s pro police but things need to change.

When Pat Robertson of all people says stuff like this, then you know that a lot more people are surely (but very slowly) coming to the realization that the police force should be reformed.