Page 517 of 824 FirstFirst ... 17417467507513514515516517518519520521527567617 ... LastLast
Results 7,741 to 7,755 of 12354

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Link not working
    That link is ugly now but good to go. Also sounds like I'm in for a treat with Falcon and Winter Soldier when I get home.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I mean, it's on the back of what you said...

Because at the end of the day, Luther, good bad or indifferent doesn't get made, imo, lasting 8-9 years, without Idirs Elba, biggest international Black movie star on the planet.

One one hand, anything culturally is a lot- too much, to put on his specific shoulders in terms of portrayal. 1. Especially since like you said, the workings behind the scenes might not be as diverse as one would have where the interactions in front of the camera might lie. And I've seen interviews with him where he's seem really cool and 'get's it' on whatever level I might assign. Also from what I've gotten hip to on this very thread. Black Brittish television in general is even at fewer numbers than what we've grown to know in America. So his portrayal is still good because 2. Yes, Black is not a monolith.

I'm talking worldwide here. The caveat being there is only 1 Idris Elba, and that's by a mile. To that end Will Smith and Denzel are part of the same coin and the goes the steep drop-off. Luther was 1 show, any critique of any of it needs to pulled way back, they're asking the wrong question. Why the subject of this one scrap on the bone, as an outlier to even begin with to me, is where the questions might should begin. This is an issue that cornball Jason Statham, with his dozen movies that all dance to the same beat, doesn't have to deal with.

And just so there's no misconstruing, there should be a fucking ton of International Black movie stars. They can do it all. Yes I have a few in the States but there are voices all over that should be coming here, to America, for an audience. Unfortunately, like Elba, one usually has to blow up here first. Like he did with The Wire, one of very favorite shows of all time btw, but he has the added boost of being Brittish so there is a double dip that isn't an available lane for the Black actors working here.
    Ah, okay. I think I get it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    But the black experience isn't a monolith. Not every black person speaks the same way, acts the same way or has the same amount of black friends. This all depends on varying factors. That crack about Caribbean food is focused on because it honestly betrays a surprising amount of ignorance on her part. Luther is just one type of black person. It might be troubling if every black person on t.v. was like him but that isn't the case.
    I'm aware of that, as that has been made apparent both there and here, yes.

I'm not sure that's enough to completely discount her general point in this case (her poorly constructed way of conveying it duly noted).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I give the show a lot of credit for addressing the elephant in the room and spoilers:
    and asking the question: given this country's history, why would any self respecting Black Man even WANT to be Captain America?
    end of spoilers
    Because that is the ULTIMATE middle finger.

That despite all the crap, plotting, messing around, suffering and so on done-that particular outcome happened.

Heck we could ask that question to the 44th President of the US, Number 42 in baseball, that first player in the NBA who played for Washington Capitals or the guy from Wakanda.

It's odd to me though how despite the show
    Look at it like this

spoilers:
    How many times have black folks been used for EXPERIMENTS?
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because that is the ULTIMATE middle finger.

That despite all the crap, plotting, messing around, suffering and so on done-that particular outcome happened.

Heck we could ask that question to the 44th President of the US, Number 42 in baseball, that first player in the NBA who played for Washington Capitals or the guy from Wakanda.

Look at it like this

spoilers:
    How many times have black folks been used for EXPERIMENTS?
    end of spoilers
    Too many times. Really once is too many.

I guess it could go either way. Can patriotism really be egalitarian seems to be the question there.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Right Wingers Cancel Marvel Cinematic Universe?

The Young Turks
    So where was this complaint with Miles Morales's video that had a display and gave him a BLM costume?

The 5th best selling PS4/5 in the Nation bypassing Last of Us.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    So where was this complaint with Miles Morales's video that had a display and gave him a BLM costume?

The 5th best selling PS4/5 in the Nation bypassing Last of Us.
    I saw a bunch of YouTube comments whine about it. But that's not surprising.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    i think

spoilers:
    the counter to Isiah's feelings was Sam's young kids feelings towards the shield

Seems sam's gonna do it for da children lol
    end of spoilers
    I got the opposite. spoilers:
    I felt Sam wasn't thinking about the children and he is just going to do what he wants to do despite what every one knows
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Tofali; 04-16-2021 at 05:13 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Fal/WS made people uncomfortable again.

That conversation. Oooooof
    Abso-freaking-lutely!!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I got the opposite. spoilers:
    I felt Sam wasn't thinking about the children and he is just going to do what he wants to do despite what every one knows
    end of spoilers
    It was answered when Sam spoke to his sis AFTER he spoke to Isaiah... His sis told Sam about taking the fight on equality as well as fighting for a country....by becoming Captn America Sam will take on both simultaneously.

Sam agreed saying something about how all the pains and loss from the past shouldn't go in vain which is why he will keep on the fight.

For any Transformers fans here, can I get your thoughts on the "black coded" Transformers, Jazz and Blaster.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 04-17-2021 at 05:51 AM.

Ultimate Member

Why do those exist, when they don't have "White coded" ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    One of those misguided attempts at diversity. Admittedly, Blaster is less prominent compared to Jazz.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    One of those misguided attempts at diversity. Admittedly, Blaster is less prominent compared to Jazz.
    I can understand wanting to involve different cultures on screen, but that should involve it behind thr screen too, in such ways as would prevent awkward or stereotypical presentations

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Aren't all Dwarves Scottish-coded?