Page 52 of 827 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152552 ... LastLast
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    IMO....

All they gotta do is select above average actors for Bishop, Storm, James Proudstar, M, Forge, Danielle Moonstar, Jubilee, Sunfire (the first Mutant of Color?), etc...give them decent storylines.....and they should generate easy money.

I truly suspect the reason they are suddenly using Bishop in the comics again is to set him up for live action down the line. The X-Men once had a significant black audience back in the 1980's. I'm not sure if it was Bob Harras, but someone at Marvel made note of the large turn-out of black fans for X-Men related stuff at comic conventions back in the day. Legend has it that Bishop was introduced as a black man (IIRC, he was originally meant to be Filipino), as a response to that.

Up until the late 1990's, the X-Men line of books were pretty diverse with their characters.

For some mind-boggling reason, X-Men writers & editors consciously or unconsciously, started using their POC as cannon fodder. That's when I jumped ship.

They could easily just ignore Prodigy & Gentle (especially Gentle). I'd use Gentle as an emo-wannabe Killmonger just for laughs in a film.

The X-Men line really does not need to race-bend, just stop messing up their classic POC mutants.
    That's the key, but it's the hardest thing to do apparently. They can't give good storylines to the characters they already are using.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I'd expect a Batgirl movie that didn't have an establishing Batman movie (assuming it was at least decent) to fail as hard as that Catwoman movie did.
    That Catwoman movie was Catwoman in name only and it was bad. Associating with Batman wouldn't have saved it.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    She is still int hat god awful coat in 99% of the video plus the promo posters
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out all the promo pics and most of the scenes from this clip are from the pilot episode, the same episode she is supposed to be in that 70's party and have a car crash.

I was just mostly ranting about the fact that they showed what look like a costume in the video and so they could have shown a promo pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If they'd cast Jurnee as Huntress, she'd be getting hate for that too. Actors and actresses of color are always going to get hell for playing canonically white characters (or even characters that are canonically poc if Kelly Marie Tran is any indication). For that, it is the fanbase that should be held accountable not the studio and that goes double for the Starfire situation. As I said before, it is not the studio's job to tell fans to behave themselves. Diop's casting was met with hostility long before a single picture or video of this show was released.
    Obviously... but it should be a studio's job to protect it's employees and just b/c actors of color get hate it doesn't mean they have to make it harder ...like seriously at least Huntress is biracial in the comics that would have alleviated some of the hate she was going to get, now she's not only getting hate b/c of racism, she's getting hate b/c she's not comic accurate.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 09-28-2018 at 09:39 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    What if they get Denzel Washington as Xavier?
    Maybe, but I just can't see him going for the whole coexistence thing. Plus I imagine his relationship with Cyclops would be even rougher.
    Last edited by Dragonick; 09-28-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    Maybe, but I just can't see him going for the whole coexistence thing. Plus I imagine his relationship with Cyclops would be even rougher.
    It depends. Logan became Wolverine because at some point he was willing to work with the establishment.

He could be WEB DuBois or he could be Marcus Garvey, he could be Don Lemon or he could be Roxanne Gay...

That is very true, and thinking about it something like the Weapon X project being conducted on a black man does ring very true from a historical standpoint. This discussion really brings up some interesting ideas on what kind of personality and morality a black person with Logan's kind of lifespan would have. Or even the kind of character that lived through the beginning of the slave trade up to the modern era, the effects of just the loss of cultural identity over time would be something I've something I've never seen from any character.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    I'd watch a black Wolverine. I would watch the F*** out of a black Wolverine! And I would relish the screams of the internet. I'd download those youtube reaction videos and use them to help me fall asleep at night.

Can't we just have a mutant version of famed boxer, Jack Johnson, whose power set includes extended youth & vitality?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Hmm...is Aldis Hodge busy for the next ten years?
    Mister Hodge is my sleeper pick for Green Lantern John Stewart.

Actually, I wanted him to play T'Challa, and gradually grow into the role.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 09-28-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Chris Claremont -- who helped create and define the vast majority of the "diverse" X-Characters -- left in '91.

The rest is history.
    If you look at the various X-Team line-ups after CC left, you'll see a slew of POC featured. CC set the table, but creators kept the baton in motion until around 1998, or so.

Gawd...I hate to sound like a x-fan...but bear with me....

Look at the X-Force line up during X-Cutioner's Song story. Forge became the leader of X-Factor. Bishop & Storm were part of the X-Men gold team. Look at the original line-up for Generation-X. That all happened after CC left.

The X-Men got awfully white after Scott Lobdell, of all people, left.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    That's the key, but it's the hardest thing to do apparently. They can't give good storylines to the characters they already are using.
    If we talking about the comics, I totally agree with you.

The films could be a different story.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    If you look at the various X-Team line-ups after CC left, you'll see a slew of POC featured. CC set the table, but creators kept the baton in motion until around 1998, or so.
    You're right -- I forgot about titles like Generation X, Young X-Men, NYX, X-Force, the various New Mutants reboots and (later) the all-female X-Men book featuring characters like Storm, Jubilee, Monet and even Omega Sentinel. Claremont himself even came back and had a good run on X-Treme X-Men featuring Storm and Bishop.

I think it was the crossovers that did me in -- jumped ship to Vertigo and more independent titles like Love and Rockets before all of that happened, probably because I was just as much of a fan of Seinkiewicz' experimentation as I was of Claremont's characters.

They made for a strange mix on the mid-early issues of the New Mutants book, especially with The Demon Bear Saga and Karma and the Shadow King -- a lot of that stuff really wouldn't translate into a traditional superhero film, which is why they seem to be going with horror... probably an appropriate choice when one of your characters is a werewolf, another is a demon sorceress, and a third has the power to turn nightmares into virtual reality.

Curious to see how they might integrate those character into the MCU -- especially given The New Mutants film that's already scheduled for release.

-----

"‘X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX’ TRAILER: SOPHIE TURNER BRINGS THE WORLD TO THE BRINK OF APOCALYPSE”

https://illuminamagazine.wordpress.c...of-apocalypse/
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-28-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out all the promo pics and most of the scenes from this clip are from the pilot episode, the same episode she is supposed to be in that 70's party and have a car crash.

I was just mostly ranting about the fact that they showed what look like a costume in the video and so they could have shown a promo pic.

Obviously... but it should be a studio's job to protect it's employees and just b/c actors of color get hate it doesn't mean they have to make it harder ...like seriously at least Huntress is biracial in the comics that would have alleviated some of the hate she was going to get, now she's not only getting hate b/c of racism, she's getting hate b/c she's not comic accurate.
    I am very doubtful the hatred would have been lessened if she were playing Huntress. Helena Bertinelli being black in the comics wasn't without controversy either and the fact it was during the New 52 can easily be used as ammo for why it isn't "legitimate" because the only thing DC fans hate more than the DCEU is the New 52. Really, the only thing that could have saved Smollet-Bell all this grief was not being in this movie at all.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-28-2018 at 10:05 PM.

I am very doubtful the hatred would have been lessened if she were playing Huntress. Helena Bertinelli being black in the comics wasn't without controversy either and the fact it was during the New 52 can easily be used as ammo for why it isn't "legitimate" because the only thing DC fans hate more than the DCEU is the New 52. Really, the only thing that could have saved Smollet-Bell all this grief was not being in this movie at all.
    Agreed. DC doesn't really help itself—or the actors—with the way they have set up this movie. Birds of Prey fans don't like it because it lacks the founder of the team. Babs fans don't like it because Batgirl/Oracle is erased. There are too few Black Canary and Huntress fans to matter. That leaves the Harley Quinn fans to alleviate the racist trolls, and the Harley Quinn fans mainly care about Harley Quinn.

This movie to me seems as one big mess of compounding bad decisions.

Marvel Almost Introduced Thor and Storm's Daughter

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/09...rstorm-exiles/

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Agreed. DC doesn't really help itself—or the actors—with the way they have set up this movie. Birds of Prey fans don't like it because it lacks the founder of the team. Babs fans don't like it because Batgirl/Oracle is erased. There are too few Black Canary and Huntress fans to matter. That leaves the Harley Quinn fans to alleviate the racist trolls, and the Harley Quinn fans mainly care about Harley Quinn.

This movie to me seems as one big mess of compounding bad decisions.
    Eh, I don't quite agree on all of this. As much as I would like Oracle, adaptations switch up the roster all the time, removing and/or adding characters to the team.

I mean, Oracle could still have been in this film and Smollet-Bell playing any canonically white character would still have gotten hate.

BANNED

I mean, Oracle could still have been in this film and Smollet-Bell playing any canonically white character would still have gotten hate.
    Smollet-Bell playing a canonically black character would still have drawn a fair amount of hate.