Page 53 of 827 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153553 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    The only thing about a black Wolverine is I could never see him working with Xavier. That's over a century of discrimination for his race and status as a mutant, thinking about it I don't even know if he'd be willing to work with white people. It would definitely make for a lot of interesting stories though.
    Could be where the amnesia comes into play.

A character who was taken by white people and had his history erased, was put through scientific experiments, and had his mind enslaved so that he was turned into a killing machine to do the bidding of powerful white people... sounds pretty african to me lol

They are more likely to racebend Professor X though.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Looks like Josh Boone does want to go straight horror with the New Mutants films -- a trilogy of films, in fact. That's tricky territory to navigate given their current ties to Disney.

That said -- smart horror doesn't have to be explicitly violent or graphic, especially when dealing with the supernatural.

-----
    "JOSH BOONE HOPES THE NEW MUTANTS KICKS OFF A TRILOGY OF X-MEN HORROR FILMS"

"While speaking the IGN, Josh Boone said that the concept was brought to Fox as a "trilogy of films," all of which are based on Bill Sienkiewicz and Chris Claremont's run on the series (The New Mutants vol. 1 #18–31, 35–38). "It's very much when New Mutants became dark and surreal and more horror driven," Boone said.

"We were incredibly inspired by the Demon Bear story which is probably the best, well-known New Mutants story. We also drew on movies like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Stephen King stuff, and even Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors." Assuming THE NEW MUTANTS is a success, Boone may get the chance to explore more horror-infused entries in the X-MEN franchise with his NEW MUTANTS trilogy.

These are all going to be horror movies, and they're all be their own distinct kind of horror movies. This is certainly the ‘rubber-reality’ supernatural horror movie. The next one will be a completely different kind of horror movie. Our take was just go examine the horror genre through comic book movies and make each one its own distinct sort of horror film. Drawing from the big events that we love in the comics.

With DEADPOOL and LOGAN, 20th Century Fox has shown a williness to step outside the typical comic-book movie, and it certainly looks as though THE NEW MUTANTS will serve as another departure from the norm. "Fox made Deadpool and Logan and they were sort of so tonally different they felt embolden to let us go make it different, and make have its own distinct tone and identity," Boone said.

"I think of the mainline X-Men movies more as grand operative science-fiction films. This is much more of a performance-driven horror film."

THE NEW MUTANTS director wouldn't reveal much more about the film, other than to say it takes place in the present day and that it is "connected to and a part of the X-Men universe, and will continue to be a part of the X-Men universe."

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/josh...rror-films-264
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-29-2018 at 06:10 AM.

Ultimate Member

"Latest Daredevil Season 3 Promises Showdown With The Kingpin”

https://illuminamagazine.wordpress.c...h-the-kingpin/

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Eh, I don't quite agree on all of this. As much as I would like Oracle, adaptations switch up the roster all the time, removing and/or adding characters to the team.

I mean, Oracle could still have been in this film and Smollet-Bell playing any canonically white character would still have gotten hate.
    Agreed on the last one, but by omitting Oracle/Batgirl, Birds of Prey lost a lot of prospective fans of the team. The racist misogynist haters will still be around no matter what the studios do, but right now the choices made about the characters around Birds of Prey the movie means it doesn't have many friends to help protect it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Agreed on the last one, but by omitting Oracle/Batgirl, Birds of Prey lost a lot of prospective fans of the team.
    They can lose 100% of the fans and it wouldn't make a dent in the box office.

And DC had already erased Oracle anyway with the New 52 Birds Of Prey.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Looks like Josh Boone does want to go straight horror with the New Mutants films -- a trilogy of films, in fact. That's tricky territory to navigate given their current ties to Disney.

That said -- smart horror doesn't have to be explicitly violent or graphic, especially when dealing with the supernatural.

-----
    "JOSH BOONE HOPES THE NEW MUTANTS KICKS OFF A TRILOGY OF X-MEN HORROR FILMS"

"While speaking the IGN, Josh Boone said that the concept was brought to Fox as a "trilogy of films," all of which are based on Bill Sienkiewicz and Chris Claremont's run on the series (The New Mutants vol. 1 #18–31, 35–38). "It's very much when New Mutants became dark and surreal and more horror driven," Boone said.

"We were incredibly inspired by the Demon Bear story which is probably the best, well-known New Mutants story. We also drew on movies like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Stephen King stuff, and even Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors." Assuming THE NEW MUTANTS is a success, Boone may get the chance to explore more horror-infused entries in the X-MEN franchise with his NEW MUTANTS trilogy.

These are all going to be horror movies, and they're all be their own distinct kind of horror movies. This is certainly the ‘rubber-reality’ supernatural horror movie. The next one will be a completely different kind of horror movie. Our take was just go examine the horror genre through comic book movies and make each one its own distinct sort of horror film. Drawing from the big events that we love in the comics.

With DEADPOOL and LOGAN, 20th Century Fox has shown a williness to step outside the typical comic-book movie, and it certainly looks as though THE NEW MUTANTS will serve as another departure from the norm. "Fox made Deadpool and Logan and they were sort of so tonally different they felt embolden to let us go make it different, and make have its own distinct tone and identity," Boone said.

"I think of the mainline X-Men movies more as grand operative science-fiction films. This is much more of a performance-driven horror film."

THE NEW MUTANTS director wouldn't reveal much more about the film, other than to say it takes place in the present day and that it is "connected to and a part of the X-Men universe, and will continue to be a part of the X-Men universe."

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/josh...rror-films-264

It is cool these Fox dudes are so optimistic but...

Iger/Feige are gonna burn the Foxverse down with Phoenix fire lol

You don't spend all those billions and get the writes to all those characters and then turn around and keep yourself beholden to the shitty characterizations, timeline, and casting.

THey will reboot it just like they rebooted Spider-Man
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 09-29-2018 at 07:26 AM.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It is cool these Fox dudes are so optimistic but...

Iger/Feige are gonna burn the Foxverse down with Phoenix fire lol
    Instinctively I agree with you, but they played it smart with Sony and Spider-Man so I'm open to seeing if they can do the same with the Fox properties.

Watching "The Gifted" on TV right now (for the first time) and there's a lot of potential there -- especially when you consider the Marvel/Netflix deals and the upcoming Disney streaming service, Disney Play.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-29-2018 at 07:32 AM.

Instinctively I agree with you, but they played it smart with Sony and Spider-Man so I'm open to seeing if they can do the same with the Fox properties.
    What do you mean by play it smart?

They turned around and rebooted the whole thing less than three years from the previous spider-man? And then threw out all the boring stuff we've seen over and over like uncle ben and the origin and stuff.

Ultimate Member

What do you mean by play it smart?

They turned around and rebooted the whole thing less than three years from the previous spider-man? And then threw out all the boring stuff we've seen over and over like uncle ben and the origin and stuff.
    Reboots are par for course -- whether in movies or in comics -- so I expect that to happen.

I was referring more to the issue of consistent quality storytelling, relative to the rest of the "blockbuster" industry, which is what (I think) makes many Marvel films so popular.

More to your point -- I think they were also smart not to put their name on the Venom film, so it remains to be seen how they'll "play" properties like The New Mutants and Deadpool.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-29-2018 at 07:43 AM.

You know who would be an interesting race bend?

Magneto

WW2 is getting farther and farther in the past. You have to have him old enough to vividly remember the holocaust to shape his anger.

So what... being generous, he'd be in his low 70's by the time they got a rebooted X film off the ground?

The holocaust is huge but Jews ain't the only ones to be targeted for widespread termination in a horrific way.

What if instead of an eastern european Jew, he was a survivor of the Rowanda genocide?

Reboots are par for course -- whether in movies or in comics -- so I expect that to happen.

I was referring more to the issue of consistent quality storytelling, relative to the rest of the "blockbuster" industry, which is what (I think) makes many Marvel films so popular.
    Gotcha

You know who would be an interesting race bend?

Magneto

WW2 is getting farther and farther in the past. You have to have him old enough to vividly remember the holocaust to shape his anger.

So what... being generous, he'd be in his low 70's by the time they got a rebooted X film off the ground?

The holocaust is huge but Jews ain't the only ones to be targeted for widespread termination in a horrific way.

What if instead of an eastern european Jew, he was a survivor of the Rowanda genocide?

Gotcha
    I've seen that idea for Magneto before and I'm definitely a fan of it. Like you said WW2 is getting further and further away they can only stretch Magneto's age so far.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    I've seen that idea for Magneto before and I'm definitely a fan of it. Like you said WW2 is getting further and further away they can only stretch Magneto's age so far.
    I kinda agree. We're gonna get to the point that if they insist on making WW2 part of his background, they'll have to say the 'real' Magneto died back then and the one we see in movies past 2018 is his son to explain why he would look around the same age as he does in the comics, if they ever want a comic accurate Magneto.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Personally, I'd just go with the generic mutant supremacist that he originally was and was depicted as in the Ultimate Universe with zero connection to any historical mass murders to avoid offending any real life groups.

The Holocaust and the Rwandan Genocide deserve to be treated with better respect than a comic book villain's cheap Freudian excuse and I do not trust any superhero franchise (except for maybe Black Panther) to handle what handle Rwanda with any grace.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Personally, I'd just go with the generic mutant supremacist that he originally was and was depicted as in the Ultimate Universe with zero connection to any historical mass murders to avoid offending any real life groups.

The Holocaust and the Rwandan Genocide deserve to be treated with better respect than a comic book villain's cheap Freudian excuse and I do not trust any superhero franchise (except for maybe Black Panther) to handle what handle Rwanda with any grace.
    A bad guy using his shitty upbringing to try and justify being a gigantic evil dude is super villain 101 though.

Not like I found say... Killmonger offensive for using his shitty black past s motivation to be a dick

I think one of my favorite underrated scenes in a comic book movie is when Wolverine told Magneto he was full of **** to his face when he strapped rogue to the machine instead of himself in X-Men

A bad guy using his shitty upbringing to try and justify being a gigantic evil dude is super villain 101 though.

Not like I found say... Killmonger offensive for using his shitty black past s motivation to be a dick

I think one of my favorite underrated scenes in a comic book movie is when Wolverine told Magneto he was full of **** to his face when he strapped rogue to the machine instead of himself in X-Men
    I don't have an issue with villains having tragic origins. It's the specific use of real life events that affect people today in villain backstories I'm not so keen on. Killmonger's backstory has aspects of the real world in it (growing up as part of a disenfranchised group) but isn't itself utilising a real life event (the Holocaust and the Rwandan genocide).