Page 539 of 827 FirstFirst ... 39439489529535536537538539540541542543549589639 ... LastLast
Results 8,071 to 8,085 of 12395
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post

Hmmp, you went way back. Oddly enough Boston and Utah were notorious for uh, 'let me see if we can field a team of certain Americans to give the other Americans in the rest of the leage a run'. Steve Nash might pass whatever the paperbag test is the majority uses, a sack of flour I guess, but he don't really count he's Canadian. 2-time MVP though!

Yes, Gordan Hayward from the small Horizon league school with his former coach is the white knight of the league right now. I liked Kevin Love, yea the sniper role will always be their for them. Mike Miller hung on and became a champion under that Heat Lebron team with his hobbled ass burning my Indiana Pacers. Used to be a lot of 7 foot brothas too that lost the jobs they used to have when the league went smaller and faster. Unless they big ass cant shoot three's.

I want to say it was J.J. Reddick who wrote the players tribune piece about Black issues and being a White player in the NBA. It was pretty heartfelt and he was the only one that did something like that. I think it was Reddick...

lol, OJ Mayo... c'mon Volt, you don't cut nay a slack. These euros don't count against the official number imo, yea Sabonis's kid is our All-Star.

Dirk is a Champion though! Not a fall backwards into it Champion either, he took that **** from Lebron. I'm old enough to remember your Mavericks was struggling to put it together with Jimmy Jackson and Jason Kid, then they got Nash and they stated to take off then Dirk changed the whole position. Speaking of Nash, I finally saw him 'coach' his Nets superteam last night when Durrant got beat by Doncic (Whooo boy, that dude is COLD). Yall don't even hear from Porzingas anymore. I saw Dirk sitting on the sideline with 'W' and all I thought was yeaa, you know 'W' don't mind sittin and leanin' next next to a sista lol.
    Doncic just hit 5000 points in the fewest games 194 for Mavericks and tied for 13th NBA wise.

Mayo didn't last long once he left Dallas and got banned by the NBA.

I remember those 11 and 13 win seasons. Along with the Toni Braxton mess and Tony Dumas.

And Dirk won with castoffs from other teams. He took what he had and won. No jumping to other teams or stealing other players. Yeah we got one title but Dirk was not trying to prove he can do it without someone else.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Racebending Kal does seem like an odd choice. A black man with the power of a god would make a lot of people uncomfortable, both in universe and not. DC has 3 black supermen, but I suppose Coates wasn't interested in writing any of them. I imagine that Coates is going to deconstruct him, which is going to be painful. I wonder if he's going to racebend Lois, or the Kents, or Jimmy as well.
    A period piece with a Black Superman sounds like it could cover similar territory as the Strange Fruit miniseries did a couple of years back (depending on where in the 20th Century they set it in).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    A period piece with a Black Superman sounds like it could cover similar territory as the Strange Fruit miniseries did a couple of years back (depending on where in the 20th Century they set it in).
    Please NO. I threw that book at Half Price Books to get rid of it. Hated that ended.

DC has 3 black supermen, but I suppose Coates wasn't interested in writing any of them. I imagine that Coates is going to deconstruct him, which is going to be painful. I wonder if he's going to racebend Lois, or the Kents, or Jimmy as well.
    I find it funny so may are supporting this and literally going off on anyone who does not.

Acting like it no big deal. Yet let that movie bomb and it's "PROOF no one wants a black lead movie!"

Meanwhile Spawn, Blade, Static, Panther, Falcon and Miles are just standing there laughing.

You got 3 black Superman-who will see usage unlike Black Clark Kent.

Ultimate Member

It's possible to be ok with this and support those other characters

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    It's alright. It's about as violent as I remember reading it. I'm not a big fan of gore. Invincible was part of that wave of deconstructionist comics that came along around the early 2000's. It got a lot of praise then, and I liked reading it then, but I'm kind of over deconstruction.

Well, it's good to see you're laying off the carbs. I never did like rice cakes though, yuck.

Snacks aside, since Coates is writing this thing, he's probably going to address race in a way that is neither clever or nuanced, but ham fisted and awful. Neoliberals will love the movie and feel seen. Like the X-Writer he dreams of being. A black Kal raised by white parents would probably tap dance around race and use his experience as an alien as a metaphor.
    Coates doesn't strike me as the type to use a metaphor when race is involved.

Ultimate Member

I'd like to think we're past the era of needing comfy mwtaphors to "explain" bigotry

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    is the Invincible tv show any good or is it just getting praises because it is ultra violent lol?
    It's good, IMO. Did you read the comic?
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Coates doesn't strike me as the type to use a metaphor when race is involved.
    The Originators in the Black Panther book say hi
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I'd like to think we're past the era of needing comfy mwtaphors to "explain" bigotry
    If it is a period piece, you don't need it anyway. It will be basic racist black hate type stuff. Which was prevalent and accepted back then. and even accepted in the history books and by white people now.

Which makes it safe and boring.

If it was set in the current period, you can really say something where race stuff is a lot more subtle. Falcon show did the bare minimum there and look how uncomfortable people got.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    If it is a period piece, you don't need it anyway. It will be basic racist black hate type stuff. Which was prevalent and accepted back then. and even accepted in the history books and by white people now.

Which makes it safe and boring.

If it was set in the current period, you can really say something where race stuff is a lot more subtle. Falcon show did the bare minimum there and look how uncomfortable people got.
    Yeah, people complained about a small amount of the racism faced by Black people everyday being in the show. Anyway, that just reinforces my point. Metaphors are just ways to make people give the most cursory affirmation of "racism is bad" while still casting White people in the lead for the most part. I'd rather see the actual racism going on today exposed and confronted. Although I think it helps to point out how past racism continues to affect PoC today as well. It definitely just didn't disappear, but evolved into new forms. If some people can't handle that, that's too bad for them.

Extraordinary Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the relative success of Joker made DC decide that that idiosyncratic, period pieces featuring thier characters are the way to go.

Incredible Member

I think that Ta-nehisi Coates writing is okay but atypical of someone from other media that just starting to write comics for the first time. I think he will get there eventually but it kind of proves that comics is not something that any one off the street can just write. A good comic book writer is someone who probably had read a ton of comics and then digs deep down into their brain to come up with something creative and fresh. I'm happy he's writing Superman and hopefully maybe he will write Cyborg one day in the comics. Cyborg can still be a breakout character. If you really think about it there has not really been a cyborg movie. there has only been movies were someone has cybernetic powers like Robocop and the Terminator but uses them as a killing machine. There hasn't been a cyborg movie where someone interacts doing every day this like using an implant in the palm of there hand to buy food at the grocery store. I would like to see a character that looks like a regular person but interacts and interpret things differently because of his cybernetic implants, than people around him. Imo the big mistake that they are making with Cyborg outside of the comics is that they are trying to copy exactly how he looks in the comics. It's not really necessary to do that. Cyborg can still be a cyborg without all of the costly cgi. If Ta-neshisi Coates or someone similar writes Cyborg I believe that he would have the editorial power to strip down Cyborg from all of the heavy cybernetics and just write him as a regular guy-superhero like everyone else.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Screw you. I want my Zootopia sequel-slash-GWCTD spiritual adaptation, dammit!........lol

I wouldn't be surprised if the relative success of Joker made DC decide that that idiosyncratic, period pieces featuring thier characters are the way to go.
    A DC film done in the style of JL: New Frontier would be pretty sweet.

I still can't believe they messed up JL that badly... twice.

I tried to get through the snyder cut since I bought hbo max for MK and gave up

Ultimate Member

Or they could, you know, actually progress the universe in the modern era. Is that possible for WB?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Screw you. I want my Zootopia sequel-slash-GWCTD spiritual adaptation, dammit!........lol
    Haha, what is GWCTD?