Page 54 of 827 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154554 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't have an issue with villains having tragic origins. It's the specific use of real life events that affect people today in villain backstories I'm not so keen on. Killmonger's backstory has aspects of the real world in it (growing up as part of a disenfranchised group) but isn't itself utilising a real life event (the Holocaust and the Rwandan genocide).
    Yeah. There's quite a difference between someone becoming a villain because his parents were killed by terrorists, and someone becoming a villain because his parents died in the WTC on 9/11.

Personally, I'd just go with the generic mutant supremacist that he originally was and was depicted as in the Ultimate Universe with zero connection to any historical mass murders to avoid offending any real life groups.
    Just given how I've very rarely encountered anyone offended by Magneto being Jewish but have seen people offended by stuff like Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's Romani heritage being erased in the movies or Magneto seemingly working with HYDRA in Secret Empire, I'm gonna have to give a big fat "no" to that. It seems like the trap of offending actual people while trying to avoid offending hypothetical people.
    Last edited by Holt; 09-30-2018 at 11:43 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Just given how I've very rarely encountered anyone offended by Magneto being Jewish but have seen people offended by stuff like Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's Romani heritage being erased in the movies or Magneto seemingly working with HYDRA in Secret Empire, I'm gonna have to give a big fat "no" to that. It seems like the trap of offending actual people while trying to avoid offending hypothetical people.
    I have never even seen a person in the flesh and blood world who even knew they were Romani in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    My issue isn't with Magneto being Jewish per say. It's his being a Holocaust survivor and all the tonedeafness that this has been accompanied by.

For example, for all the outrage over Magneto working with Hydra that wasn't even the first time he'd worked with Nazis. He teamed up with the Red Skull in Acts of Vengeance and only turned on the Skull when he was revealed to be an anti-mutant bigot. Not an anti-semit as you would expect of a Nazi.

Portraying a Holocaust survivor as being just as bad as Nazis is not any better than whitewashing the Maximoffs (whose Romani heritage is as acknowledged as Dick Grayson's romani heritage).

My issue isn't with Magneto being Jewish per say. It's his being a Holocaust survivor and all the tonedeafness that this has been accompanied by.
    Thing is, I only really say you saying that, no offense. Even in the articles I've looked for from Jewish writers and scholars that were more critical of the Holocaust portrayal, their beef wasn't with him being a Holocaust survivor and more with his Jewishness only ever coming up in the context of remembering how his family was murdered in a concentration camp. Removing that aspect of his character entirely is just throwing the baby out with the bathwater and opens a whole other can of worms.

Ultimate Member

Even Captain America is getting tired of Kanye.

"Chris Evans Slams Kanye West's 'Maddening' Call for Abolition of Amendment That Outlawed Slavery"

"Actually, blacks weren’t always Democrats. It’s like a plan they did to take the fathers out the homes and promote welfare. Does anybody know about that? That’s the Democratic plan.” -- Kanye West

https://people.com/music/kanye-west-...t-chris-evans/

Dude is using Stormfront talking points like he's the first to hear about them.

I don't usually even like to talk about him since I know it's usually just to promote an album, but this is just getting beyond sad.

-----
    "It’s becoming increasingly difficult to understand the motivations of the rapper, but the cynic in me reckons Kanye’s motivations are exactly the same as they’ve always been -- publicity before dignity."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidip...hieve-exactly/
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 09-30-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Even Captain America is getting tired of Kanye.

"Chris Evans Slams Kanye West's 'Maddening' Call for Abolition of Amendment That Outlawed Slavery"

"Actually, blacks weren’t always Democrats. It’s like a plan they did to take the fathers out the homes and promote welfare. Does anybody know about that? That’s the Democratic plan.” -- Kanye West

https://people.com/music/kanye-west-...t-chris-evans/

Dude is using Stormfront talking points like he's the first to hear about them.

I don't usually even like to talk about him since I know it's usually just to promote an album, but this is just getting beyond sad.

-----
    "It’s becoming increasingly difficult to understand the motivations of the rapper, but the cynic in me reckons Kanye’s motivations are exactly the same as they’ve always been -- publicity before dignity."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidip...hieve-exactly/
    Kwanye is not well. I'm not sure he even understands the things he's saying at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Nothing was stopping them from using Onyx (Female POC Samurai-Green Arrow ally) if they couldn't use Katana for whatever reason.

And I'd always thumbs down to DCEU movie where we get ANY Batgirl, Cassandra Cain included before we get a Batman movie.

DC big screen ideas are so godforsaken its funny.

Eternals might be Jack Kirby's least profitable idea (even it's biggest fans don't care all that much) and that is a way better proposition than
    Birds of Prey the way DC has gone about it.
    To be fair, Onyx was one of the characters Margot was going to use, before they ultimately settled on the line-up being Harley, Dinah, Helena, Renee and Cass.

My guess is that this film will lead to Cass being the DCEU/WoDC Batgirl, with Barbara mentoring her, since both films (BOP and Batgirl) have the same screen writer. Could end up being the first Asian led super hero film too. As for Batman, his film seems to be on schedule for a 2020 release (after BOP and Flash).
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Kanye West understands perfectly what he's saying...he's a fucking attention whore and begs for that attention. People just fell for his whole LOOK AT ME...LOOK AT ME act. Honestly someone famous should tweet to him ..."Its hard when your a has been now begging for attention..." Because all it is for is that.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Moving on from an overrated guy demanding attention ....we go to someone getting a movie based on their life. Well folks its not just Freddie Mercury and Queen coming to the big screen. In a few months (2019) were gonna see Sir Elton John arrive.

This one looks like its gonna play up the insane 70's era that John lived through and everything.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Kwanye is not well. I'm not sure he even understands the things he's saying at this point.
    I personally think he is using whatever "mental illness" he may actually have as jsut a back drop to say stupid **** for attention and then just go back and say, "no no it was my bipolar superpower!"

We even sure this dude is bipolar or is he just using that for attention too?

attention whore married into the ultimate attention whore family to create this monster.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

For example, for all the outrage over Magneto working with Hydra that wasn't even the first time he'd worked with Nazis. He teamed up with the Red Skull in Acts of Vengeance and only turned on the Skull when he was revealed to be an anti-mutant bigot. Not an anti-semit as you would expect of a Nazi.
    I would expect the MCU to treat it better than comic writers TBH
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Kanye West understands perfectly what he's saying...he's a fucking attention whore and begs for that attention. People just fell for his whole LOOK AT ME...LOOK AT ME act. Honestly someone famous should tweet to him ..."Its hard when your a has been now begging for attention..." Because all it is for is that.
    Sure, he's always been an attention whore but at lest in the past, he seemed coherent. Stuff he says now don't even make sense.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Moving on from an overrated guy demanding attention ....we go to someone getting a movie based on their life. Well folks its not just Freddie Mercury and Queen coming to the big screen. In a few months (2019) were gonna see Sir Elton John arrive.

This one looks like its gonna play up the insane 70's era that John lived through and everything.
    Looks interesting.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I personally think he is using whatever "mental illness" he may actually have as jsut a back drop to say stupid **** for attention and then just go back and say, "no no it was my bipolar superpower!"

We even sure this dude is bipolar or is he just using that for attention too?

attention whore married into the ultimate attention whore family to create this monster.
    I believe he is. But I also believe that instead of making sure he takes his prozac regularly, they let him do whatever so he probably frequently goes into odd mood swings.