Page 545 of 828 FirstFirst ... 45445495535541542543544545546547548549555595645 ... LastLast
Results 8,161 to 8,175 of 12411

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I think dude has a normal looking look to him, I'm rockin'... I mean whatever his name is, I see nobody put any respect on that lol.

See now I wanna know where is all the ugly energy is over Awkwafina cause uhhh... look. Tbh, you ain't gotta be fine to be a rapper, look at 50. Same time he raps better than she does...
    Is Awkwafina really a rapper though? Or does she just rap for comedy? Part of me thinks it's just a persona, because in that serious movie she was in she dropped that blaccent like a bad habit.

I don't think Simu is ugly either. He's alright looking.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Yeah, it is China calling him ugly.

It is just interesting. I mean... cultures have different beauty standards. I've seen pictures of what they consider "leading man material' and yeah... dudes look like Asian Thranduil/Legolas lol.

I'm not saying it is wrong, just interesting.
    Yeah, look at Asian male Pop stars and you are going to see a LOT of Legolas types. If an Asian male Pop Star doesn't look like Legolas to start with, he WILL by the time the Producers are done with him.

The dudes from BTS ( a Korean Boy Band) aren't even 30 yet and they are all plastic surgery vets. HK/China isn't any different.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 05-20-2021 at 08:24 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I don't know what this means nor what it brings to the conversation about China's leading man standards

I'm not even blaming China... they can like what they like. Don't really care, it is just interesting the difference.
    Oh, it's just an observation. I've seen in other forums people acting like this proves Hollywood is somehow a beacon of progress when it comes to casting people, when I don't think it is. Maybe that's not really relevant to the matter at hand

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Is Awkwafina really a rapper though? Or does she just rap for comedy? Part of me thinks it's just a persona, because in that serious movie she was in she dropped that blaccent like a bad habit.

I don't think Simu is ugly either. He's alright looking.
    Interesting question, I'd say enough of one. She's put a couple of albums out and if her slant is comedic she's still trafficked in that lane. The You Tube hip-hop game is for young folks and this chick gotta be upwards of 30 so it's time to start moving into these cinematic auditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Yeah, look at Asian males Pop stars and you are going to see a LOT of Legolas types. If an Asian male Pop Star doesn't look like Legolas to start with, he WILL by the time the Producers are done with him.

The dudes from BTS ( a Korean Boy Band) aren't even 30 yet and they are all plastic surgery vets. HK/China isn't any different.
    That's fucking twisted. That shit definitely covets a certain look and I find that shit mortifying. Not to mention none of them are every presented to croon as it were. Is there even a K-Pop version of Ricky Bell from 1990? All that overproduced, overly lighted shit feels like Twinkies and Ho-Ho's as a substitute for real food.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Yeah, look at Asian male Pop stars and you are going to see a LOT of Legolas types. If an Asian male Pop Star doesn't look like Legolas to start with, he WILL by the time the Producers are done with him.

It just feels like when China isn't 100% pandered too, they throw a hissy fit. And it seems to be getting worse.

It is still na American Movie lol.

But, then agia, for all I know, this is just the chinese population version of American 4chan users or something. aka the worst of the worst that are bitching. I have no real idea. Big (censored) country.

Gonna be a "darcy" situation though

aka cast Katt Dennings and then keep her in a sweater lol

See now I wanna know where is all the ugly energy is over Awkwafina cause uhhh... look. Tbh, you ain't gotta be fine to be a rapper, look at 50. Same time he raps better than she does...
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Interesting question, I'd say enough of one. She's put a couple of albums out and if her slant is comedic she's still trafficked in that lane. The You Tube hip-hop game is for young folks and this chick gotta be upwards of 30 so it's time to start moving into these cinematic auditions.

That's fucking twisted. That shit definitely covets a certain look and I find that shit mortifying. Not to mention none of them are every presented to croon as it were. Is there even a K-Pop version of Ricky Bell from 1990? All that overproduced, overly lighted shit feels like Twinkies and Ho-Ho's as a substitute for real food.
    Even Jackie Chan did surgery back in the day to make his features look "more western".

The more you know...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Even Jackie Chan did surgery back in the day to make his features look "more western".

The more you know...
    When exactly did that whole obsession start?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I honestly don't know.

But it's a very interesting phenomenon.

Ultimate Member

I honestly don't know.

But it's a very interesting phenomenon.
    That's the problem with beauty standards in general. They punish people for not being born with the "right looks," even if that affects nothing else about them

It's a by-product of white supremacy. Same thing that has Indians & Africans bleaching their skin, and made MJ want to cut his nose off.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Ultimate Member

That's the problem with beauty standards in general. They punish people for not being born with the "right looks," even if that affects nothing else about them
    This is an old comedic video but it kind of explains the issue in China.

It seems having paler skin in their society is associated with wealth and high status.

Extraordinary Member

This is my perception of her as well. Seems like you can start a whole career in the YouTube space. Even if only her and Lily Singh actually made it to the big time ( that I know of).

It make sense. You can't swing a dead cat around NYC and not hit 3-5 "working" comedians on the come up, so Awkwafina using the Rap game to stand out is pretty inspired. Now that she is established in the Cinema you are probably never going see her drop another single again, which is about right.

Ultimate Member

Just to be clear, people from all races nowadays are doing stuff to themselves to look "racially ambigious". You have black social media models trying to look "racially ambigious" and you have white models that go "blackfishing".

Society places far too much emphasis on people's looks. This isn't some idealistic statement, looks are never, ever a substitute for a good personality and this is something that needs to be passed down to the younger generation. We've developed a society (not just in the west, globally) that worships looks and it's gotten to unhealthy degrees. Yes, we can appreciate beauty but that shouldn't be used as a barometer for social status or worse still for getting work or being appreciated in society.

A lot of people are struggling with their looks hence the sharp rise in cosmetic surgergy worldwide. People need (and I can't emphasize this enough) to be told to love themselves as much as possible the way they are. All the cosmetic surgery in the world can't help you if you are struggling inside and society needs to move away from telling people that changing your look can bring true happiness when in reality it can't. Happiness is a transient state and there isn't one single solution to attaining true happiness.

This is an old comedic video but it kind of explains the issue in China.

I'm not clicking bc I don't like messing up my kids youtube algorithm, but the thumbell... those chicks look like anime characters...

It seems having paler skin in their society is associated with wealth and high status
    thats an old thing... it means you aren't some poor ass farmer that hsa to be outside picking shit. You got slav.... servants for that.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

The more you know...
    Tuh, you know, I'm almost willing giving dude a pass. Even as abhorrent as I find that idea, he was a man of a time tryin to work in movies as a foreigner. Jackie baby, we are not able to perform the levels of plastic surgery one might feel is needed to get THAT level of result though lol. Effed up part is on the other end he was willing and often did sacrifice life and limbs to make these folks swoon.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.