Page 546 of 827 FirstFirst ... 46446496536542543544545546547548549550556596646 ... LastLast
Results 8,176 to 8,190 of 12396

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Interesting question, I'd say enough of one. She's put a couple of albums out and if her slant is comedic she's still trafficked in that lane. The You Tube hip-hop game is for young folks and this chick gotta be upwards of 30 so it's time to start moving into these cinematic auditions.

That's fucking twisted. That **** definitely covets a certain look and I find that **** mortifying. Not to mention none of them are every presented to croon as it were. Is there even a K-Pop version of Ricky Bell from 1990? All that overproduced, overly lighted **** feels like Twinkies and Ho-Ho's as a substitute for real food.
    My sister-in law's really into K-Pop, from what I understand, the korean music industry is brutal towards talent.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    those chicks look like anime characters...
    That's the other shoe. My personal Manga and Anime kung-fu- which is a term I use often and for a lot of things in regards to knowledge of a subject, not being an an ******* here. Is pretty non-existent outside of Dragonball but that whole industry has many, many works that don't look nearly like the people who produce that art and the animation. Even the older stuff, everyone looks like a hybrid as the rule.

A large part of this is that the larger groups considered Asian think quite differently about general American assimilation ideals than what Black people have historically felt. That's for damn sure.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    It's a by-product of white supremacy. Same thing that has Indians & Africans bleaching their skin, and made MJ want to cut his nose off.
    Yeah, I've seen enough Hindi movies to recognize they have a similar problem in their industry, and society as a whole

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This is an old comedic video but it kind of explains the issue in China.

It seems having paler skin in their society is associated with wealth and high status.
    That's always been an obsession in most societies (Idk about North American or South American cultures) because tanning = outdoors = poor, according to the stereotype. That people can just bleach their skin should show that stereotype makes no sense, yet here we are

Just to be clear, people from all races nowadays are doing stuff to themselves to look "racially ambigious". You have black social media models trying to look "racially ambigious" and you have white models that go "blackfishing".

Society places far too much emphasis on people's looks. This isn't some idealistic statement, looks are never, ever a substitute for a good personality and this is something that needs to be passed down to the younger generation. We've developed a society (not just in the west, globally) that worships looks and it's gotten to unhealthy degrees. Yes, we can appreciate beauty but that shouldn't be used as a barometer for social status or worse still for getting work or being appreciated in society.

A lot of people are struggling with their looks hence the sharp rise in cosmetic surgergy worldwide. People need (and I can't emphasize this enough) to be told to love themselves as much as possible the way they are. All the cosmetic surgery in the world can't help you if you are struggling inside and society needs to move away from telling people that changing your look can bring true happiness when in reality it can't. Happiness is a transient state and there isn't one single solution to attaining true happiness.
    Part of it is possibly due to the increase in racially mixed people, and at least in Eurocentric cultures that's being pitted against monoethnic PoC looks, which is absolutely wrong. I agree with what you're saying. Looks are just random genetics. They don't influence how good or smart or capable a person is. And beauty standards are steeped in historical prejudice and hierarchy. There needs to be less emphasis overall. And while industries like Hollywood are culpable, so is much of the general populace

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    And while industries like Hollywood are culpable, so is much of the general populace
    the super increase of this stuff seems more Social Media's fault rather than hollywood

social media poured gasoline on the fire
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

the super increase of this stuff seems more Social Media's fault rather than hollywood

Yep, people are going as far adjusting their appearances to look like "social media filters".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    My sister-in law's really into K-Pop, from what I understand, the korean music industry is brutal towards talent.
    I am given to understand that its fairly regimented with hopefuls enrolling in talent programs and schools to learn acting, singing, dancing and rapping in the hopes of getting discovered by a talent agency.

..which after taking the hopefuls on will train them even more until they find a group concept to put the trainee in: "we need 2 singers, 2 rappers and a dancer". The group is then rehearsed and marketed as a group and put on those talent shows you hear so much about to test audience feedback.

If they don't make it that far, after awhile, they get the boot out of the program and a bill they gotta pay back somehow.

By the way even the successful talent is still being charged for all of this every bit of it. That's how you hear of K-pop stars being broke even after they blew up. It probably takes them 3 hit albums just to break even.

This **** sounds more exploitative than the American music industry which is saying something. I mean nobody asked those Disney club teens to work in nightclubs as sex workers to pay off management debts....

Ultimate Member

That's true. I think Hollywood's problem is how it pressures actors to conform to certain standards, even unintentionally. But social media perhaps affects individuals on more of a direct level, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I am given to understand that its fairly regimented with hopefuls enrolling in talent programs and schools to learn acting, singing, dancing and rapping in the hopes of getting discovered by a talent agency.

..which after taking the hopefuls on will train them even more until they find a group concept to put the trainee in: "we need 2 singers, 2 rappers and a dancer". The group is then rehearsed and marketed as a group and put on those talent shows you hear so much about to test audience feedback.

If they don't make it that far, after awhile, they get the boot out of the program and a bill they gotta pay back somehow.

By the way even the successful talent is still being charged for all of this every bit of it. That's how you hear of K-pop stars being broke even after they blew up. It probably takes them 3 hit albums just to break even.

This **** sounds more exploitative than the American music industry which is saying something. I mean nobody asked those Disney club teens to work in nightclubs as sex workers to pay off management debts....
    That last sentence sounds absolutely insane.

Even Jackie Chan did surgery back in the day to make his features look "more western".

The more you know...
    Seriously?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Seriously?
    Yep..like I said, the more you know..

This is my perception of her as well. Seems like you can start a whole career in the YouTube space. Even if only her and Lily Singh actually made it to the big time ( that I know of).
    Issa Rae, as well.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Extraordinary Member

That's true. I think Hollywood's problem is how it pressures actors to conform to certain standards, even unintentionally. But social media perhaps affects individuals on more of a direct level, if that makes sense.

That last sentence sounds absolutely insane.
    TBH, they probably only pull that with the talent that's not gonna make it. A name might go to the media...

Pretty wild Feige admited that making The Ancient One a white chick was Marvel Execs overthinking and playing itself lol

I think Tilda was good in the role but yeah...
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

TBH, they probably only pull that with the talent that's not gonna make it. A name might go to the media...
    That's probably true. I think bigger name actors might feel pressure from general societal ideals ratherthan specific mandates. Although I think it's not just Hollywood, but all industries promoting harmful beauty standards in some way or another

Ultimate Member

Pretty wild Feige admited that making The Ancient One a white chick was Marvel Execs overthinking and playing itself lol

I think Tilda was good in the role but yeah...
    Yeah, they could've just cast an older Tibetan actor in a non-stereotypical version of the Ancient One.

Mighty Member

Yeah, they could've just cast an older Tibetan actor in a non-stereotypical version of the Ancient One.
    Xi Jinping might've had something to say against that.