Page 547 of 828 FirstFirst ... 47447497537543544545546547548549550551557597647 ... LastLast
Results 8,191 to 8,205 of 12414
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Xi Jinping might've had something to say against that.
    Well, Marvel shouldn't have to deal with that. If not Tibetan, then at least Nepalese

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Even Jackie Chan did surgery back in the day to make his features look "more western".

The more you know...
    Is it really about wanting western and European features or is it something very specific within Chinese society?

Isn't the casting for leading men very specific? They have to have a very a particular look to be considered as a leading man?

I remember these "ugly" commentary coming up from China when Simu was cast.
    Last edited by Tofali; 05-20-2021 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Yeah, they could've just cast an older Tibetan actor in a non-stereotypical version of the Ancient One.
    then it makes zero money in china lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Niffleheim

Yeah with Tibet it wouldn't make any money or even released in China but If the Ancient One was Nepalese then that would have been ok because they have good relation with Nepal.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    then it makes zero money in china lol
    I'd hope that wouldn't matter but I guess to the bottom line it does

Mighty Member

Well, Marvel shouldn't have to deal with that. If not Tibetan, then at least Nepalese
    That probably could've worked.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    That probably could've worked.
    More so than an English woman!

Extraordinary Member

More so than an English woman!
    Not sure what the point would have been given that the character at issue exists to die so that they can pass the mantle on to Strange. And show up in a 5 minute cameo in Endgame.

I am sure someone would have had a problem with that too. Maybe the Chinese would have wanted Ancient One to die even sooner or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Not sure what the point would have been given that the character at issue exists to die so that they can pass the mantle on to Strange. And show up in a 5 minute cameo in Endgame.

I am sure someone would have had a problem with that too. Maybe the Chinese would have wanted Ancient One to die even sooner or something.
    Well ... okay, I never finished the movie, couldn't get into Cumberbatch as Strange for whatever reason, so let me just ask. As far as the movie goes, what exactly is the Ancient One's background?

Is she an ancient old British lady? Like, from Britain and everything, who I guess travels to end up becoming the Ancient One? I mean, she's not still in Britain in the movie, is she?

Or is her appearance just like an illusion or something? Then too, isn't there consideration of the fact that if you go back to ancient times, you're less likely to have ancient people's be okay with having a woman become some kind of mystic and scholar? I mean, it's cool if we're saying she just defied all of that to become the Ancient One, but doesn't that kind of affect the character that you're portraying?

Granted here, I know relatively little about the Ancient One even in the comics, so I don't know how much of his history would need to be different, if he'd been a British lady. Just kind of guessing it would have changed things a bit.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

In the comics, he's an old Tibetan man

Astonishing Member

In the movies, her background isn’t really expounded on. She basically an old British (I think she was technically supposed to be Celtic) whose the head magic person. And it also turns into it that she was using dark magic to keep herself younger so she could keep fighting evil ( which is what ‘turned’ Mordo bad) and she mentors Strange and dies. So both of those things might have caused issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Well ... okay, I never finished the movie, couldn't get into Cumberbatch as Strange for whatever reason, so let me just ask. As far as the movie goes, what exactly is the Ancient One's background?

Is she an ancient old British lady? Like, from Britain and everything, who I guess travels to end up becoming the Ancient One? I mean, she's not still in Britain in the movie, is she?

Or is her appearance just like an illusion or something? Then too, isn't there consideration of the fact that if you go back to ancient times, you're less likely to have ancient people's be okay with having a woman become some kind of mystic and scholar? I mean, it's cool if we're saying she just defied all of that to become the Ancient One, but doesn't that kind of affect the character that you're portraying?

Granted here, I know relatively little about the Ancient One even in the comics, so I don't know how much of his history would need to be different, if he'd been a British lady. Just kind of guessing it would have changed things a bit.
    MCU Ancient One was Celtic I do believe.

She kept herself alive and never aging but pulling in JUST enough dark dimension energy to stay at her age without succumbing to Doramarru basically.

She is the Sorcerer Supreme who existed to basically pass the title to Dr. Strange. As said in Endgame, "he is supposed to be the best of us." She knew her own End Game.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post

In the comics the character is the leader of an order of mystics headquartered in Tibet. The character's backstory was vague and only sparingly fleshed out in the comics.

It's not like you ever saw any other members of Strange's mystic order other than Mordo (a White guy in the comics) for years.

That backstory is even less relevant to the movies.

I get that people want to push for inclusion but when that push specifically concerns a character that is guaranteed to die at the 3/4 mark of the film maybe it's not that much of an issue, is my point.

When it comes to the supernatural, the cops have Alexanda Trese on speed dial. Set in Manila and based on the award-winning Filipino comic, TRESE brings horror folklore like you've never heard before.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    In the comics the character is the leader of an order of mystics headquartered in Tibet. The character's backstory was vague and only sparingly fleshed out in the comics.

It's not like you ever saw any other members of Strange's mystic order other than Mordo (a White guy in the comics) for years.

That backstory is even less relevant to the movies.

I get that people want to push for inclusion but when that push specifically concerns a character that is guaranteed to die at the 3/4 mark of the film maybe it's not that much of an issue, is my point.
    Making Wong more than a tea serving butler did more for "inclusion" than an minority Ancient One