Page 551 of 828 FirstFirst ... 51451501541547548549550551552553554555561601651 ... LastLast
Results 8,251 to 8,265 of 12408
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    If they retire Magneto, then another villain they should use is Mr. Sinister. Genetic engineering is his thing, so he could capture mutants so he could mess around with their genes and try to make the ultimate super mutant. Or maybe he could catch Spider-man and clone him, they're running out of Spider Man stories to mine, they're going to do the clone saga eventually. If Magneto's out, than Apocalypse would be even harder to explain. The mutants are going to get grandfathered in somehow.
    Couldn't they just have Apocalypse staying hidden? Isn't that how he was when he first showed up in the comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    In the comics the character is the leader of an order of mystics headquartered in Tibet. The character's backstory was vague and only sparingly fleshed out in the comics.

It's not like you ever saw any other members of Strange's mystic order other than Mordo (a White guy in the comics) for years.

That backstory is even less relevant to the movies.

I get that people want to push for inclusion but when that push specifically concerns a character that is guaranteed to die at the 3/4 mark of the film maybe it's not that much of an issue, is my point.
    In the ditko era you saw some of them when Strange went to China while on the quest to find out what Eternity meant. Almost all were Asian

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    It would be idiotic but I wouldn't put it past some people to still at least partially place the blame on the inclusion of gay characters, especially if the film doesn't do well in China and other parts of the world even with a censored version.

With this movie having such a diverse cast overall a lot of people have been hoping it'll fail, and if this one does underperform (I don't expect any Marvel movie to outright flop, but it might not do as well as the other MCU movies) then I know exactly how the discourse around this movie will go.

I totally get the whole "maybe they weren't available to help out" thing, that makes total sense. The issue with the X-Men specifically is characters like Xavier, magneto, Wolverine, etc. who need to have been around for a long time and be experienced with their powers to fully work within the context of their story. For example a lot of people are wondering if Magneto is still going to be a Holocaust survivor or if they're gonna' change him to be a survivor of some more recent real-life atrocity.

They'll probably retcon the MCU to say that mutants have existed for a while around the world but just conveniently managed to stay off the radar of organizations like SHIELD and Hydra. But hopefully they make it feel believable, the retcon might come off as really forced. I thought the "it turns out Zemo really is a baron just like he is in the comics" retcon in Falcon and the Winter Soldier felt really awkward and forced. I'm pretty sure Tony's AI would've mentioned Zemo being a wealthy baron in Civil War.

With Magneto there is another issue of having his background changed, would mean getting rid of a Jewish character and well, adaptations of comics havent been doing a good job with adaptations of Jewish characters. Having actors of non Jewish backgrounds play them ( the thing, Moon Knight, Batwoman) removing the background ( arthur in the 2016 version of the tick) and so on

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Jackie Chan had cosmetic surgery to make one of his eye (natural born given eye) to match his other eye which got wounded from one of his many stunts then expanded after it healed.

It was NOT for, I wanna look more Caucasian or whatever.
    https://www.eightieskids.com/10-thin...t-jackie-chan/

I knew about this a looooong time ago.

And he had this surgery before he started the crazy stunt work.
    Last edited by Username taken; 06-02-2021 at 02:21 AM.

Something in my IG algorthym changed

and I keep getting recommended "black entrepreneur" IG pages

Jesus, what toxic unrealistic bullshit lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Are any of them named after Wakanda or Black Panther? I saw a black professional group in my hometown with Wakanda in it's name. I cringed a bit.

These are sports guys but this ain't that here. Yea, I watched a bunch of the 100 year anniversary Tulsa coverage this weekend. I DVR'd a couple of them. It's, a lot and I'm glad I at least had some passing knowledge of 'Black Wall Street' (never have liked that name) before HBO's Watchmen but It wasn't much and what info I did have came from co-workers on one of the Blackest jobs I've ever had a little over 10 years ago. Not Black as in job function but Black in numbers, a logistics warehouse with an office and floor but I loved working there and everybody got along fantastically, even surprising to me at times. When you work at a place where things are good as they could be, socially, it kind of ruins you because you've seen it work out.

What a weird fucking dichotomy this is- a country built on racial suppression and the fact that the country itself has always told it self a totally different reality. The fact that we're not even the target audience on bringing these things to light to the masses. As someone who is looking to become a homeowner soon it's overclear that you have play more of the same shitty game where you are going to have to do and consider tactics you wouldn't have thought to do just to get to a place where you need to be. This is all while I see the neighborhood where my Grandma lives, and has long before I was born, is beginning to get a whole lot less Black. They can be relentless in their efforts when coming through these neighborhoods with their offers.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Algorithm is making life easy for a lot of companies. I had to cancel my Netflix because they used to only recommend shows and movies that they thought I would like considering my viewing habits which I didn't mind that much BUT the issue was the "thumbnails" or "posters" they used to lure me to click didn't reflect the story in the show or movie - most of the time the black characters hardly had any stories. They seem to have different tv and movie posters for different groups of ppl.
    Last edited by Tofali; 06-02-2021 at 11:28 AM.

Ultimate Member

Ugh, fetishization creeps me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ugh, fetishization creeps me out.
    The video reminds me of DC's issues with Asian mothers. Namely, they are often not allowed to be living, positive presences in their children's lives. Usually, they are either dead in the past or are villains whom their children need to be protected from.

Jade Nguyen/Cheshire - Basically DC's poster Dragon Lady trope. She has two children, both of them by white male characters. She is depicted in many instances as not caring for them and willing to use them for her own ends.

Talia al Ghul - Retconned into having raped Bruce Wayne for his sperm to create Damian Wayne.

Lady Shiva - Depicted as an evil mentor type who wants to corrupt her daughter Cassandra Cain into a killer like her.

Lillian Rose - Mother of Rose Wilson. Was killed off by Deathstroke's brother.

Meihui Lan - Mother of Traci 13. Died due to magical influences in Traci's backstory.

Mother - An Asian woman of an unnamed Asian country. She was abusive to a little girl named Sin who grew to hate the term "mother" because she associated it with her abuser.

The only exception to this is Linda Park, Wally West's wife, who has only recently returned to somewhat prominence after years of DC trying to phase her out.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The video reminds me of DC's issues with Asian mothers. Namely, they are often not allowed to be living, positive presences in their children's lives. Usually, they are either dead in the past or are villains whom their children need to be protected from.

Jade Nguyen/Cheshire - Basically DC's poster Dragon Lady trope. She has two children, both of them by white male characters. She is depicted in many instances as not caring for them and willing to use them for her own ends.

Talia al Ghul - Retconned into having raped Bruce Wayne for his sperm to create Damian Wayne.

Lady Shiva - Depicted as an evil mentor type who wants to corrupt her daughter Cassandra Cain into a killer like her.

Lillian Rose - Mother of Rose Wilson. Was killed off by Deathstroke's brother.

Meihui Lan - Mother of Traci 13. Died due to magical influences in Traci's backstory.

Mother - An Asian woman of an unnamed Asian country. She was abusive to a little girl named Sin who grew to hate the term "mother" because she associated it with her abuser.

The only exception to this is Linda Park, Wally West's wife, who has only recently returned to somewhat prominence after years of DC trying to phase her out.
    Wow, I never noticed it was a pattern.

Ultimate Member

Wow, I never noticed it was a pattern.
    Patterns of this are easy to notice if you know where to look.

If you think Asian mothers are done badly-look up black fathers.

Let alone black families. John Stewart, Steel and Black Lightning had families before New 52. Storm, Prodigy & Synch had them too. We have not seen a lot of Panther's relatives.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Patterns of this are easy to notice if you know where to look.

If you think Asian mothers are done badly-look up black fathers.

Let alone black families. John Stewart, Steel and Black Lightning had families before New 52. Storm, Prodigy & Synch had them too. We have not seen a lot of Panther's relatives.
    You'd think the big 2 would be more conscious of these things.

You'd think the big 2 would be more conscious of these things.
    They are, which means its deliberate.