Page 568 of 827 FirstFirst ... 68468518558564565566567568569570571572578618668 ... LastLast
Results 8,506 to 8,520 of 12392
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Icon chose not to get involved and ended up a hardcore black conservative (not the Candace Owens type of black conservative..more traditional conservative).

It was his interactions with Rocket that opened up his eyes to certain issues within the community.

But it's hella unrealistic that a black man (alien or not) would keep silent in the face of slavery.
    That was explained, up to a point.

It's been awhile since I read the original series, but the way I remember it Icon was a one man underground railroad freeing himself his adoptive parents and others. He became a Lawyer during Reconstruction. His parents pass away. Once he realized how long his lifespan was compared to humans he started trying to keep a lower profile. But he did meet and marry a woman during the 20's. I think years later she ended up dying of a disease that Icon's alien science couldn't cure.

After that he kinda of stops giving a damn about everything and lives as a Highlander like near recluse until he meets Rocket.

Icon being an Super Powered Alien, took W.E.B. Du Boise Talented Tenth idea to extremes. He thought just by existing as a good example he didn't have to do more. That and the whole alien keeping a low profile deal.

If Rocket didn't remind him of his late wife and more specifically the kid he always thought he was going to have with her, he'd still be doing nothing (his interest in her is strictly paternal).

But it's hella unrealistic that a black man (alien or not) would keep silent in the face of slavery.
    Yea this part. It was always my only Milestone side-eye reaction and I kept that energy for years. Wasn't really until hearing from McDuffie in YT interviews over time since his passing did I come around on what he was putting out back when. There was always going to be some selling to other comic consumers, many of whom didn't find any fault in this premise. Using Rocket as the sounding board was pretty forward thinking back then. And you still can keep Icon as a hammer when you needed.

As an aside I've been workin my Milestone big three run whenever I can find them in the wild and hit a jackpot not long ago and found 4 more later Static's this past weekend. I may have completed Icon at this point, I'm 8/10ths there with Static and Hardware is still the one I have the most trouble finding. Cool thing is when you do find them they are 9 times out of 10 likely haven't been read and they go for foolish money in the collector market space. Damn shame these characters haven't seen any live action.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    That was explained, up to a point.

It's been awhile since I read the original series, but the way I remember it Icon was a one man underground railroad freeing himself his adoptive parents and others. He became a Lawyer during Reconstruction. His parents pass away. Once he realized how long his lifespan was compared to humans he started trying to keep a lower profile. But he did meet and marry a woman during the 20's. I think years later she ended up dying of a disease that Icon's alien science couldn't cure.

After that he kinda of stops giving a damn about everything and lives as a Highlander like near recluse until he meets Rocket.

Icon being an Super Powered Alien, took W.E.B. Du Boise Talented Tenth idea to extremes. He thought just by existing as a good example he didn't have to do more. That and the whole alien keeping a low profile deal.

If Rocket didn't remind him of his late wife and more specifically the kid he always thought he was going to have with her, he'd still be doing nothing (his interest in her is strictly paternal).
    Yeah, very true.

I actually couldn't remember the entire story very well.

It's been a looooooong time that I've read the title.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, very true.

I actually couldn't remember the entire story very well.

It's been a looooooong time that I've read the title.
    It is going to be really interesting to see how a retelling of Icon's story will work with today's audience.

Icon the character himself comes off a lot worse now than he would have in the 90's (remember, that sort of pre disgrace Bill Cosby conservative had a several weekly platforms back then).

The constantly anti woke crowd may rage when they realize that Rocket, not Icon is actually the main character. It won't matter that the original was the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    It is going to be really interesting to see how a retelling of Icon's story will work with today's audience.

Icon the character himself comes off a lot worse now than he would have in the 90's (remember, that sort of pre disgrace Bill Cosby conservative had a several weekly platforms back then).

The constantly anti woke crowd may rage when they realize that Rocket, not Icon is actually the main character. It won't matter that the original was the same way.
    You gotta move the internal motivations closer to what Colin Powell has done with conservative shipping that it was having Clarence Thomas misguidingly become a fan of Icon back when. They'd have to have portions of Icon's alien brain missing to keep the same tone from then to now. Icon definitely would have intervened on January 6th.
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Yea this part. It was always my only Milestone side-eye reaction and I kept that energy for years. Wasn't really until hearing from McDuffie in YT interviews over time since his passing did I come around on what he was putting out back when. There was always going to be some selling to other comic consumers, many of whom didn't find any fault in this premise. Using Rocket as the sounding board was pretty forward thinking back then. And you still can keep Icon as a hammer when you needed.

As an aside I've been workin my Milestone big three run whenever I can find them in the wild and hit a jackpot not long ago and found 4 more later Static's this past weekend. I may have completed Icon at this point, I'm 8/10ths there with Static and Hardware is still the one I have the most trouble finding. Cool thing is when you do find them they are 9 times out of 10 likely haven't been read and they go for foolish money in the collector market space. Damn shame these characters haven't seen any live action.
    Interesting those were the first ones I completed.

I lucked out on a huge run of Blood Syndicate at Half Price Books

Most of Icon, Xombi, Shadow Cabinet, the minis and Kobalt-I found in a 50 cent bin at a store aside from a sharpie mark on the back of some-they are fine.

Now the final issues of Icon-WOW.....Had to go to Ebay for 2 of them and they were not cheap.

I got everything issue that Static was in and lucked out on the Brave & Bold, New 52 abortion and Teen Titans trades-for some reason they were going for $50 and higher online. Did not pay that for those 3.

Here is something funny about the anti woke crowd. They harassed and even doxed and threaten the writer of Black Mask's Black book. Attacking him, his wife (for not being a black woman) and if black folks had powers all along-why did slavery and Jim Crow happen. One black guy got banned for life on Twitter for his threats.

The book DOES explain why.

For a group that claims to know comics-Icon was the same thing. Both kept low profiles to protect themselves. Makes sense. You have powers running all over the place-how soon do whites start taking out black folks and claiming they thought they had powers?

McDuffie is on video saying that book was about Rocket. It's on youtube somewhere. I know it was on his old website with his She Hulk pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post

Ah, not a digital type I take it. Static, Hardware, and Icon are all on comixology right now. I only buy digital comics that I can't find in print. The new static book was sold out at my store and I had to get the digital one, my fault for not having a pull list I suppose.

Mighty Member

..........Unscrupulous sociopaths aren't exactly limited by "race". Or at least I don't think so.

The irony being there hasn't ever been a situation comedy set in the 60s with a Black family.
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Is there still a market for reboots of these shows?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Is there still a market for reboots of these shows?
    I mean they're still making reboots, someone thinks there is.

next up is a Head of the Class reboot, and a Perfect Strangers reboot (re-imagining) where the Balki and Larry analogues are black women who discover they're half-sisters and have to share an apartment.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I mean they're still making reboots, someone thinks there is.

next up is a Head of the Class reboot, and a Perfect Strangers reboot (re-imagining) where the Balki and Larry analogues are black women who discover they're half-sisters and have to share an apartment.
    I'm not even sure what Head of the Class is.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Interesting those were the first ones I completed.

I lucked out on a huge run of Blood Syndicate at Half Price Books

Most of Icon, Xombi, Shadow Cabinet, the minis and Kobalt-I found in a 50 cent bin at a store aside from a sharpie mark on the back of some-they are fine.

Now the final issues of Icon-WOW.....Had to go to Ebay for 2 of them and they were not cheap.

I got everything issue that Static was in and lucked out on the Brave & Bold, New 52 abortion and Teen Titans trades-for some reason they were going for $50 and higher online. Did not pay that for those 3.
    I'm still surprised how many books the line put out in the what, 5, 6 years. Blood I wasn't so hot on but I try to grab them when I seen em, I got a couple Kobalts. It's them minis though- Heroes, I just found the first and Deathstrike or whatever his name was, I've never seen them out there, the ones at the end of the line still escape me. The Red Hot Summers, I've got a couple but I'm not even sure how many of them there were. Dude that last Icon I found on the humble for a buck with about half a dozen others. I was like Thurgood Jenkins in Half Baked when the scientist had him sign for that pound of weed, I was just tryin' to get out that shop. I keep Mercari alerts and some dude had that last issue for 100 bucks and I thought he had lost his mind, ****, somebody grabbed that within a week. The first issues with the two toned covers, them go for 80 and up routinely. These are all raw prices too, no idea how many Milestones are on the CGC census, I'll have to look that up. All the Static appearances holds their value very well on the collector market, scarcity of them probably helps but the character definitely has a base.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Ah, not a digital type I take it. Static, Hardware, and Icon are all on comixology right now. I only buy digital comics that I can't find in print. The new static book was sold out at my store and I had to get the digital one, my fault for not having a pull list I suppose.
    Nah I'm not there yet. My phone is fine for Nexflix at work or YT but reading on it has to be at the most basic so I can see it. Let alone take in the art without getting handsy all over the smaller screen. I still need that tactile feeling I guess and I've seen bigger size tablets but we're close to the point of someone developing a folding screen or a pair of screens that mimics the size of a book or magazine. Aint gotta be 8.5 x 11 but closer to it than not, that would be the game changer for me. I gotta have facing screens though.

I'm jealous, It's a dope tool to have though. I'm stuck with collected volumes of published books and if you aren't trippin on expense then you just have to hope it's been produced, which of course doesn't include everything. I wonder how comixology pays or do they pay royalties? Surely not trickle down to the actual creatives just the companies as a whole.
    You bet yer ass.

I caught No Sudden Move on Max this weekend and I really liked it. Don Cheadle's character is really the star of the movie but it has a large cast, it's a Soderbergh movie (like Ocean's 11 and the sequels) so he uses the same guys over and over (Matt Damon warning but he only shows near the end). First movie I ever heard redlining in if nothing else. There this sista in it where Cheadle's character retrieves this suitcase where everybody is after the contents of, and she is absolutely gorgeous in this 1950s get-up. Hollywood period pieces from the 1950s so rarely have the looks outside of aprons like The Help when it comes to Black folks so that was nice surprise. Also if anyone is familiar with Cheadle's character Mouse from Devil in a Blue Dress, this has GOT to be the unofficial sequel for that character, older but still getting down and without the gold tooth.
    You bet yer ass.

Suzzanne Douglas passed away. She is perhaps best known as the mom from the WB sitcom "The Parent 'Hood".

Loved that show. Wow. RIP.