Page 579 of 824 FirstFirst ... 79479529569575576577578579580581582583589629679 ... LastLast
Results 8,671 to 8,685 of 12354
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I think part of the problem is an unwillingness by some liberals to admit that they understand where conservative arguments come from. There's this notion from some on the left that understanding equals endorsement. So they send out e-mails screaming "You won't believe what <conservative mouthpiece> said today!" or "You'll be shocked by what <random Republican Congresswoman> did!" No, I do believe it and I'm not shocked. We don't have to time to waste being shocked. We know why they do it. We know why they say it. Getting inside their heads won't corrupt us. But it is the first step toward defeating them.
    I'll drink to that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I think part of the problem is an unwillingness by some liberals to admit that they understand where conservative arguments come from. There's this notion from some on the left that understanding equals endorsement. So they send out e-mails screaming "You won't believe what <conservative mouthpiece> said today!" or "You'll be shocked by what <random Republican Congresswoman> did!" No, I do believe it and I'm not shocked. We don't have to time to waste being shocked. We know why they do it. We know why they say it. Getting inside their heads won't corrupt us. But it is the first step toward defeating them.
    I’m a Christian white dude who voted for McCain and Romney before voting for Clinton and Biden, and my most prolific Civil War ancestor was in the Army of Northern Virginia (I have another in a Union Iowa regiment and a possible third who may have been enlisted on both sides, but they’re not as documented.)

I *know* why Trump supporters and other GOP voters think the way they do. I can see the terrible, existential threat that being wrong poses to their sense of identity and self-narrative, how that becomes a terrible denial and unending mire pulling them further into delusions.

It’s why I feel that trying to use evidence and arguing isn’t going to be effective in ending their political power; admitting a skewed perspective or an incorrect assume that is almost literally unthinkable to them. The person who tells themselves they are a patriot cannot accept that they support small-minded and cowardly treason. The person who tells themselves they are oppressed cannot accept they are incompetent oppressors. The person who tells themselves they are selfless Christians cannot accept they are cruel Pharisees more likely to crucify Christ than follow him.

The only way to really target them and take their delusions away is to expose their house of cards on one hand while simultaneously using “soft power” on them. The reason Fox News and others are so dependent on keeping to their one message is because they know that alternative viewpoints, especially if backed up by personal experience proving them, chip away at reactionaryism better than anything else.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The only way to really target them and take their delusions away is to expose their house of cards on one hand while simultaneously using “soft power” on them. The reason Fox News and others are so dependent on keeping to their one message is because they know that alternative viewpoints, especially if backed up by personal experience proving them, chip away at reactionaryism better than anything else.
    True. You are unlikely to accept a truth from a person you hate. It must be from someone you trust, someone who has your best interests at heart.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    True. You are unlikely to accept a truth from a person you hate. It must be from someone you trust, someone who has your best interests at heart.
    For a lot of these people, they trust those who don't have their best interests at heart

John Oliver discusses housing discrimination against black people.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    For a lot of these people, they trust those who don't have their best interests at heart
    Family members; friends; that one fellow or fellows at the bar they bump into often and make casual lingo with; etc. The trustees found in "meat space" instead of on TV.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Family members; friends; that one fellow or fellows at the bar they bump into often and make casual lingo with; etc. The trustees found in "meat space" instead of on TV.
    That's true, but even those places can become an echo chamber. still, I see what you mean

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

John Oliver discusses housing discrimination against black people.
    "But I didn't do it. Why should my tax dollars pay for reparations?" I look at it this way. If person A steals something from person B and then when person A dies, he leaves that thing he stole with me, it becomes my responsibility to give that thing back to person B or their heirs.
    Watching television is not an activity.

I think having minority-comic book characters are a splendid thing. I don't see what's bad about it. As long as it doesn't get way too political.
    Last edited by Oracle; 07-26-2021 at 10:11 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Communitydetective View Post
    I think having minority-comic book characters are a splendid thing. I don't see what's bad about it. As long as it doesn't get way too political.
    Does anything even get too political? Because, at least from what I see, I think what some people complain about is how the politics are conveyed, not how much is in there. It's more about not being too improperly portrayed, IMO. Either that, or any minority characters are automatically called "political"

But more minority comic book characters, especially heroes, is a good thing.

AH, not like I expected it but it seem like we didn't get much rhythm on the new Kevin Smith MOTU. A Clamp Champ appearance if you blinked you missed it and a dead King of Eternia. What good are you Mark?

Guess I'll just keep waiting for that Olmec Sun-Man property to find a backer. Been 35 years, some fans ain't worth the effort to even move up to alienating I see.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    AH, not like I expected it but it seem like we didn't get much rhythm on the new Kevin Smith MOTU. A Clamp Champ appearance if you blinked you missed it and a dead King of Eternia. What good are you Mark?

Guess I'll just keep waiting for that Olmec Sun-Man property to find a backer. Been 35 years, some fans ain't worth the effort to even move up to alienating I see.

What is this toy?

I've never seen it before.

Extraordinary Member

I remember that!

Extraordinary Member

Here's the funny thing. Can it be? We'll see.
    https://toynewsi.com/241-39578