Page 582 of 827 FirstFirst ... 82482532572578579580581582583584585586592632682 ... LastLast
Results 8,716 to 8,730 of 12397

Yo, that new Milestone relaunch is really is happening! No more tease, can't tell you how long it's been since I bought a new comic (fuckin' 5 dollers tho!!). I grabbed the relaunch #1 and that felt like seeing Static with the X cap back on again. I see Static's daddy lookin like Furious Styles now. I don't know what a comic book promotion looks like these days but I just needed to see it in print and now I'm lookin for it.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It's the fake woke belief that no one is allowed to have an opinion. Pro-blacks are among the WORST who do it. We are suppose to accept EVERYTHING because in most cases we are that DESERATE for something.

See Black Panther 2-how many times have we been lectured about not supporting it?
    TRY saying something about Deon Sanders and see how fast Jackson State University folks attack you.
    Same with WAP-no matter how bad it is-all they see is black chunky female empowerment. And we won't discuss Lil Nas X.

Those folks are throwing fits about He-Man because they have been ALLOWED to get away with all the other times they have attacked folks. And the times companies PANDERED to them.

See New Warriors, Spider-Woman cover, the Inhumans, Riri Williams's Scott Campbell cover and so on.

Nobody has the guts to say-you don't have to watch or read something you don't care for.
    Exactly this.

I am NOT watching Black Panther 2 without T'Challa. Depriving young African-American men of one of the most prominent, positive African male characters in fiction is criminal. Just like the ScarJo thing going on right now, Disney has been blinded by the dough and they apparently don't care who or what they step on to get that payola. That's why when the anti-SJW people hold up Disney as some sort of "social justice preaching company" I genuinely get confused. Disney/Marvel had the choice to simply wait and re-cast T'Challa, period. They decided to go in a different direction because of the dollar signs.

Conservative or liberal, people just shut down discussions under the guise of "politics". It's gotten tiring because people are simply using minority and minority led media as ammunition for the culture war...regardless of how a lot of said minorities actually feel. As you rightly mentioned, songs like WAP and Montero have been used by liberals in their war against conservatives, despite the fact that these songs were basically made just to generate controversy and sell records in the process. A number of black-run youtube channels were actually quite critical of both songs but since they've been adopted as "liberal anthems" they've all basically been shut up.

Right now, Michael Che is under serious fire for "daring" to joke about Simone Biles...the "GOAT". I don't remember her being called the GOAT after her past performances, it was after she pulled out of certain events in these Olympics due to "mental health" that certain folks rallied around her and gave her that title. Basically, it's now just shut up and watch because if you do speak, you will get attacked.
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-30-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Yo, that new Milestone relaunch is really is happening! No more tease, can't tell you how long it's been since I bought a new comic (fuckin' 5 dollers tho!!). I grabbed the relaunch #1 and that felt like seeing Static with the X cap back on again. I see Static's daddy lookin like Furious Styles now. I don't know what a comic book promotion looks like these days but I just needed to see it in print and now I'm lookin for it.

The new Static Shock is quite good and it's only two issues in.

The Icon book shockingly adheres to the previous origin story. I was actually surprised because I expected more changes. And it seemed the artist is drawing Icon somehow like Big E from WWE.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Right now, Michael Che is under serious fire for "daring" to joke about Simone Biles...the "GOAT". I don't remember her being called the GOAT after her past performances, it was after she pulled out of certain events in these Olympics due to "mental health" that certain folks rallied around her and gave her that title. Basically, it's now just shut up and watch because if you do speak, you will get attacked.
    whooo boy, the simone biles thing is a hornets nest that got politicized so fast that any real discussion on it can't be had.

Which is shitty, because there can be a good sports discussion on what exactly is 'mental health' vs "breaking under pressure aka choking."

But it is SO politicized, almost predictably at this point, that you can't even talk about it outside of your own house.

Slight correction though... people did call her the goat before hand, she wore a singlet? leotard? with a goat on it at one point. And during an interview on NBC, the journalist asked her if she is unbeatable and she laughed and said yes (yikes....).

Like I said.. there is a valuable conversation to be had that is a middle groudn between "MENTAL HEALTH DISEASE ONLY!!!" vs "AMERICAN DISGRACE"
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    whooo boy, the simone biles thing is a hornets nest that got politicized so fast that any real discussion on it can't be had.

Which is shitty, because there can be a good sports discussion on what exactly is 'mental health' vs "breaking under pressure aka choking."

But it is SO politicized, almost predictably at this point, that you can't even talk about it outside of your own house.

Slight correction though... people did call her the goat before hand, she wore a singlet? leotard? with a goat on it at one point. And during an interview on NBC, the journalist asked her if she is unbeatable and she laughed and said yes (yikes....).

Like I said.. there is a valuable conversation to be had that is a middle groudn between "MENTAL HEALTH DISEASE ONLY!!!" vs "AMERICAN DISGRACE"
    I stand corrected on the GOAT thing.

I agree 100% on the Simone Biles issue. The whole thing has been so politicized that any contribution other than effusive praise is seen as an attack.

The thing that gets me about the culture war is that I think both sides are tired of fighting, but they'll never admit it, they fight so hard because they believe that they're one victory away from winning the war forever, but because culture's always changing, it's become an endless waltz.

Ultimate Member

Like I’m reading this morning, that Women in Film, Times up and some others are attacking Disney because of their “gendered” attack on ScarJo.

Now, I’ve already criticized Disney for wanting to change the rules in the middle of the game but in what way was Disney’s statement a “gendered” attack? This is an entirely business related issue, why turn it political? This sort of thing doesn’t help feminism in anyway shape or form and it’s not even an issue of gender. It’s basically using gender as a way to place more pressure on Disney which is entirely unnecessary here.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    The thing that gets me about the culture war is that I think both sides are tired of fighting, but they'll never admit it, they fight so hard because they believe that they're one victory away from winning the war forever, but because culture's always changing, it's become an endless waltz.
    The culture war has become so pervasive that it’s tiring.

In the past, it was situated around explicit social issues like abortion, minority rights and the likes. Now, it’s everywhere…everyone is trying to make a statement even when it’s not necessary. And as you rightly pointed out, it’s never going to end because culture isn’t static. It keeps going on and on. It’s basically made for inconsistent arguments among both liberals and conservatives.

See the Amber Heard/Johnny Depp case. Depp’s career was pretty much railroaded until we got the other facts of the case and learned just how much a piece of crap Amber Heard was too. She also has a history of abusing her partners (male or female) but her career has remained relatively unscathed and is still going to be in Aquaman 2. To be clear, I’m not defending Depp but if we are fighting against abuse in Hollywood doesn’t it stand to reason that Heard should face consequences for her actions too? She won’t because “feminism”. This sort of double standard doesn’t help anyone or any woman, it just means that Amber Heard will go on being a piece of crap to her partners.

Personally, why I’m really tired of the culture wars and don’t really have the patience for it is because it’s a distraction. Real terrible sh!t is happening as states are amending voting rights to prevent minorities for voting, some psychopaths are doing everything they can to ensure that COVID-19 never goes away (seriously, who exactly is fighting against vaccines and wearing masks? The delta variant is spreading like wildfire amongst the unvaccinated but some people apparently want this..I really want to know the end goal of this anti-vax thing is because the original outbreak ravaged minority communities particularly minority health workers disproportionately), some states are trying to stop historical teaching around racism (which has been done successfully in the past by the Daughters of the Confederate) and a whole host of **** that’s really important.

Ultimate Member

Isn't that all part of culture wars too?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Isn't that all part of culture wars too?
    Not necessarily.

The voting rights and anti-vaxx stuff aren't stictly "cultural" issues.

Although an argument can be made they've been dragged into it. But on the scale of things, these issues carry a lot more weight than someone saying something on twitter or someone wearing "cornrows".

It's like how anything with cops in it gets slapped with accusations of copaganda regardless of how the cops are depicted or even if they are a main focus. I recently saw a reddit post accusing Into The Spiderverse of this just because Jeff was a police officer.

Mighty Member

There are two aspects of the actual cultural wars going on, the online culture wars that just a lot of noise but have very little effect, and the policy cultural wars, such as voting rights, the "CRT" ban, and Covid19 and vaccines.

Most of the online stuff that gets the majority of the focus, from the left and the right is about clout chasing and clickbait, from grifters who don't care about the policy stuff because they don't believe it will affect them.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 07-31-2021 at 09:20 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Not necessarily.

The voting rights and anti-vaxx stuff aren't stictly "cultural" issues.

Although an argument can be made they've been dragged into it. But on the scale of things, these issues carry a lot more weight than someone saying something on twitter or someone wearing "cornrows".
    But they are, aren't they? Why do you think people oppose voting rights? Because they think fraud is out there where there isn't any, and think non-White people voting takes away their "heritage." That's a cultural war, IMO.

And I wouldn't necessarily dismiss someone's complaints just because they're online.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It's like how anything with cops in it gets slapped with accusations of copaganda regardless of how the cops are depicted or even if they are a main focus. I recently saw a reddit post accusing Into The Spiderverse of this just because Jeff was a police officer.
    Criticism isn't necessarily bad, though, is it?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That one was interesting to say the least.

Spider-man has been accused of somehow reinforcing police brutality.

It certainly was a somewhat bewildering discussion.

Ultimate Member

But they are, aren't they? Why do you think people oppose voting rights? Because they think fraud is out there where there isn't any, and think non-White people voting takes away their "heritage." That's a cultural war, IMO.

And I wouldn't necessarily dismiss someone's complaints just because they're online.
    I understand.

But as a person that's on the receiving end of said action, it's more of a human rights issue than anything else.

Criticism isn't necessarily bad, though, is it?
    If said criticism completely misses the mark, then what's the point?

Into the Spider-verse isn't "copaganda" not in the slightest. That's like saying because a movie has a white man then the movie must be racist because a lot of white people are racist. Or that every movie with a multicultural cast with a white person must condemn racism to prove it's not a racist work. It doesn't work.