Page 599 of 828 FirstFirst ... 99499549589595596597598599600601602603609649699 ... LastLast
Results 8,971 to 8,985 of 12408

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    For those who watched Transformers: War For Cybertron on Netflix, what did you think of it?
    I've seen all three of those transformers anime series on netflix and well, I think that they were trying too hard to be serious. Garry Chalk, who voiced optimus primal in beast wars and Optimus prime in the unicron trilogy, called the voice acting low energy. He was right. It was pretty joyless. It doesn't have to be bouncing off the walls with enthusiasm, or crazy goofy. Transformers Prime managed to balance out seriousness and fun pretty well. Hell, Transformers Animated did it better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Going through the last census data and it’s clear that the US is becoming increasingly diverse.

The number of people that identify as multiracial has skyrocketed. Honestly, this isn’t really surprising at all considering that a lot of people that identify as a minority are actually multiracial.
    On one hand that sounds like a positive, occurring in a quicker span than any of us thought but in actuality it's has quickened measures of the white supremacy status quo to try to stay ahead of the trend. And those are just raw numbers that don't have much push behind them, yet. Even if certain discriminatory practices, pick 1, **** pick 2, stopped right now, the gaps made by several other legs of the same table setting have made it so the damage has been multi-generational.

Also Census data especially when it comes to minorities has historically been under reported. In some measure on the part of minorities- specifically Black folks in not completely trusting the government in a head count with such specified details of residence, and with great reason btw. Other part is the options provided have never been able to adequately reflect our society in terms of bi-racial identity, it's pretty close to a zero sum situation because we would not know how that would be taken as far as representation, the whole purpose of the damn thing. Me myself do not nor never have had a problem with our cultural default of identifying bi-racial folk as Black, I don't see a problem in that. I also understand that as a bi-racial person, they may not prefer to be counted as such and that work. I'm not bi-racial so it ain't my call but best believe I find it impossible to NOT consider 95% of them- the ones I've befriended, those who I made issue with, ones I am related to, worked with, associated with or seen on TV, as Black. I don't see a problem in that. That swing in numbers wold be enough to push power definitely in a more favorable direction.

It just goes back to an argument I’ve made consistently that US superhero comics don’t really reflect the country as it is anymore. Especially the younger generation which is far more diverse than the older population.
    It never did. Sentimentality has kept the comic genre from looking towards a more reflective way in actual reality, that the Black influence on say music and sports for example could not and did not afford to have. Unfortunately the market is so small it can afford to operate backward, even at a loss for longer than the other entertainment venues.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Matt Gaez is still working in DC though
    Still representin' constituents. I can't even imagine needing any and every win you can get just to keep a shitbird like that guy around an elected office.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

It would be nice if the comics did more accurately represent the real demographics, especially the underrepresented ones. But when will that happen?

Mighty Member

Has anyone watched the live action Full Metal Alchemist movie?

LMFAO!!!!

If yes, What are thoughts... U will know why I asked in this group after seeing the movie. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post

LMFAO!!!!

If yes, What are thoughts... U will know why I asked in this group after seeing the movie. Lol!
    I thought it was good enough. It had problems trying to figure out how to cut up the story into smaller chunks. The manga ran for 100 or so chapters. So changes were inevitable.

The Live Action version version of BLEACH had the same problem.

Unless you are referring to FMA using Japanese actors to play white characters?

I wasn't bothered by it.

-‐--------

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pol...-decoding-race

I thought it was an interesting interpretation of the Green Knight. In the film, Gawain is played by Dev Patel. So the article tackles the subtext of him being a PoC in King Arthur's court.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-21-2021 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Clarity between topics

Ultimate Member

LMFAO!!!!

I saw it. It was ok, but I'm super familiar with the source material

Ultimate Member

On one hand that sounds like a positive, occurring in a quicker span than any of us thought but in actuality it's has quickened measures of the white supremacy status quo to try to stay ahead of the trend. And those are just raw numbers that don't have much push behind them, yet. Even if certain discriminatory practices, pick 1, **** pick 2, stopped right now, the gaps made by several other legs of the same table setting have made it so the damage has been multi-generational.
    Exactly. When it comes to employment, people don't know how hard it is to get a job with non-english sounding name.

I used to use my African name as my first name with pride. I quickly changed it back to my English name when I realized years back that some recruiters have no time and some recruitment software is set to avoid people with non-english sounding names.

Also Census data especially when it comes to minorities has historically been under reported. In some measure on the part of minorities- specifically Black folks in not completely trusting the government in a head count with such specified details of residence, and with great reason btw. Other part is the options provided have never been able to adequately reflect our society in terms of bi-racial identity, it's pretty close to a zero sum situation because we would not know how that would be taken as far as representation, the whole purpose of the damn thing. Me myself do not nor never have had a problem with our cultural default of identifying bi-racial folk as Black, I don't see a problem in that. I also understand that as a bi-racial person, they may not prefer to be counted as such and that work. I'm not bi-racial so it ain't my call but best believe I find it impossible to NOT consider 95% of them- the ones I've befriended, those who I made issue with, ones I am related to, worked with, associated with or seen on TV, as Black. I don't see a problem in that. That swing in numbers wold be enough to push power definitely in a more favorable direction. [/font]
    Yeah, black people have been MASSIVELY undercounted. I've read reports that up to 1 in every 3 black person in the US isn't represented in the census.

As you rightly pointed out, part of it is deliberate on black people's part. And a lot of it is due to "hard to reach areas".

I come from a multiracial family and I have no problem identifying as black. A lot of people simply don't see anything other than pure white as being white so there's actually no way to claim anything other than black or minority for a lot of people. LOLOLOLOL

It never did. Sentimentality has kept the comic genre from looking towards a more reflective way in actual reality, that the Black influence on say music and sports for example could not and did not afford to have. Unfortunately the market is so small it can afford to operate backward, even at a loss for longer than the other entertainment venues.
    Quoted in agreement. No cap.

Still representin' constituents. I can't even imagine needing any and every win you can get just to keep a shitbird like that guy around an elected office.
    The way the GOP is today, any idiot, scumbag become a party nominee so far they have "conservative values". Seriously, how do you explain guys like Matt Gaetz and Majorie Taylor Green? Besides their obnoxiousness, these guys aren't intelligent.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    It would be nice if the comics did more accurately represent the real demographics, especially the underrepresented ones. But when will that happen?
    Only when the big two break free of the constraints of the direct market.

The market just wants more Batman, Spiderman and X-men and not much else. A lot of direct market demand is simply feeding speculators.

But like I said earlier, I think comics have missed an entire generation. As Surf pointed out, superhero comics have stopped being representative of the general populace for a long time now.

And the sad thing was in the early 90s with the comics boom, Milestone and even Image had a rather diverse line up of characters. As far back as 30 years ago, creators realized that superhero comics weren't really very representative of the general populace.

Ultimate Member

The market just wants more Batman, Spiderman and X-men and not much else. A lot of direct market demand is simply feeding speculators.

But like I said earlier, I think comics have missed an entire generation. As Surf pointed out, superhero comics have stopped being representative of the general populace for a long time now.

And the sad thing was in the early 90s with the comics boom, Milestone and even Image had a rather diverse line up of characters. As far back as 30 years ago, creators realized that superhero comics weren't really very representative of the general populace.
    Tell that to fans and creators who only want a few things and think those few heroes deserve it above everyone else. I get we all like the familiar stuff, but comics need to represent all groups, or else, as Surf said, they stop becoming representative.

Will the digital market change things?

LMFAO!!!!

I liked it...though I've only ever seen Brotherhood. I'm not sure they should have used the person they used as the main villain, but, ending it was always going to be a problem.

In any case...it introduced me to MISIA with the end credit song.

Ultimate Member

Tell that to fans and creators who only want a few things and think those few heroes deserve it above everyone else. I get we all like the familiar stuff, but comics need to represent all groups, or else, as Surf said, they stop becoming representative.

Will the digital market change things?
    It was showing promise.

Ms Marvel for example was selling more in digital than in print.

Black Panther and Miles Morales are regularly in Comixology's weekly top sellers.

But my understanding is that digital sales haven't picked up like expected for whatever reason (at least according to Jim Lee some years back). I don't know if that's still the case.

It was showing promise.

Ms Marvel for example was selling more in digital than in print.

Black Panther and Miles Morales are regularly in Comixology's weekly top sellers.

But my understanding is that digital sales haven't picked up like expected for whatever reason (at least according to Jim Lee some years back). I don't know if that's still the case.
    It is too damn hard to keep up with comics unless you "live" it.

They would have to market volumes that actually told a whole story for it to work and spread.

Hell my kids reading a graphic novel... some dragon thing. Beginning, middle, end.... in one book.

Aint no halfway normal person following say... coates intergalactic panther story for 25 ISSUES aka 2 years with NO delays for a conplete story. Thats nuts
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

They would have to market volumes that actually told a whole story for it to work and spread.

Hell my kids reading a graphic novel... some dragon thing. Beginning, middle, end.... in one book.

Aint no halfway normal person following say... coates intergalactic panther story for 25 ISSUES aka 2 years with NO delays for a conplete story. Thats nuts
    I agree.

Even for some of us- comic book fanatics, keeping up just seems like a lot of work.

To be honest, I just can't follow comics as much as I did before. Not taking care of two kids, paying tons of bills and keeping my sanity.

Invincible Member

And there in lies the dilemma...The big two know that the direct market can't continue long into the future, however they won't completely abandon it, because it's guaranteed sales.

Ultimate Member

When you stop making comics for trades.

Nothing is wrong with a single issue story like we use to get in the 80s-90s.

More OGNS in Wal-Mart and Target where folks actually SHOP.

You can.

Indy books have started to do 3-5 volume runs. Valiant books are 4 issues versus 6.

Rivers of London is on trade 9 but all of them are stand alone stories.

Ablaze's Gung Ho is based on a French book of the same name. It did 5 volumes and 44 pages was story with another 22 pages of extras.