Page 60 of 828 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160560 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I really wanted Night Thrasher to join the MCU.

I feel like the original New Warriors would be a big hit in a film series.
    It's just unfortunate that Night Thrasher was basically named "Night Skateboarder", because unlike the bizarre way that a surfboard in space somehow comes off as seeming cool, the skateboard thing is just harder to work in to a Batman/Punisher kind of vibe, without seeming lame. But then, his name doesn't make a lot of sense, without it.

I honestly think this is/has been the biggest hurdle for the character. A bit of his concept that should make him unique, but is ultimately just a bit awkward.

Also, I am very surprised to find that I want to watch She-Ra.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If someone is saying the bolded, chances are what they really mean is, "she isn't like the 2003 cartoon version".
    I'm actually happy to hear that Starfire (Anna Diop) is the stand out of the show so far.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Looks very promising.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Looks very promising.
    Wasn't this the cartoon the "comicsgate" crowd was freaking out over?

It looks pretty good to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yep. Well, one of many things they freak out about. And I can't really think of a better recommendation than that.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

It looks pretty good to me.
    I'd say it was more the anti-SJWs and "skeptics," but yeah...the complaint was that since She-Ra is now drawn as a teenager rather than an adult with bosoms and make up, little girls don't have a positive role model to look up to.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'd say it was more the anti-SJWs and "skeptics," but yeah...the complaint was that since She-Ra is now drawn as a teenager rather than an adult with bosoms and make up, little girls don't have a positive role model to look up to.
    Only skeevy grown men would make this argument. My daughter is four and thinks that 6th Graders are ready to move out and begin their careers.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I know lots of people don't like Marvel's animation style (or lack thereof) but, at a minimum, Redjack has been on point with the script of this show.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Only skeevy grown men would make this argument. My daughter is four and thinks that 6th Graders are ready to move out and begin their careers.
    My knee-jerk reaction to this stuff initially was, "It's a cartoon aimed at ten yr old girls, why do you 30-something yr old men even care?" But believe it or not I have seen a vid by a woman who parroted the exact same talking points. Ultimately though for most of these people it's about attacking "The Left" and since "The Left" controls all media ( according to them) anything it produces must be bad in some way.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    My knee-jerk reaction to this stuff initially was, "It's a cartoon aimed at ten yr old girls, why do you 30-something yr old men even care?" But believe it or not I have seen a vid by a woman who parroted the exact same talking points. Ultimately though for most of these people it's about attacking "The Left" and since "The Left" controls all media ( according to them) anything it produces must be bad in some way.
    Lots and lots of people are just making the anti-SJW, anti-diversity videos because it's low hanging fruit. It's just an easy way to get quick views and quick bucks on YouTube.

There was a video on Vox about this, particularly how media with strong keywords like "SJW, feminist, liberal" e.t.c attract attention and social media platform algorithms (like youtube and facebook) simply put them out on suggestion lists even to those that have no interest in them. That's why the comicsgate and gamergate crowd constantly put "SJW" in their videos even when it doesn't make sense. It's a very good, quick way to get hits.

Personally, I'm subscribed to channels like CNN on YouTube but i often get a lot of "right-wing, alt-right" video suggestions because both videos use similar keywords.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Exactly.

And no joke here, i didn't even notice original She-Ra's bosom until these guys on the internet made it a thing.

Like who even cares about that...seriously.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    It's just unfortunate that Night Thrasher was basically named "Night Skateboarder", because unlike the bizarre way that a surfboard in space somehow comes off as seeming cool, the skateboard thing is just harder to work in to a Batman/Punisher kind of vibe, without seeming lame. But then, his name doesn't make a lot of sense, without it.

I honestly think this is/has been the biggest hurdle for the character. A bit of his concept that should make him unique, but is ultimately just a bit awkward.

Also, I am very surprised to find that I want to watch She-Ra.
    Yeah, N.T.'s creator Tom DeFalco probably didn't know much about skater culture aside from knowing about Thrasher magazine.

So we got Night Thrasher. It probably should have been either Night Stalker, Night Glider or Night Racer but some of those name have been used in other media.

And of course the skate boarding angle was dated the before the character came out.

Shoutout to Filmation studios back in the day. When She-Ra came to Netflix a couple years ago I hipped my oldest who was 3(?) at the time. I hadn't laid eyes on that show in 30 years. First transformation I was kinda taken aback, In my head I was like, damn, She-Ra's skirt was really short back in the day... Prolly the first 6ft blonde I'd ever saw in my life, animated or otherwise. The chick that turned into a cat was always the hottest to 4th grade me btw, ha. Tela was gorgeous too. How come I can't remember any of the women from the Fat Albert and the Cosby kids show? Anyway, glad the put some biker shorts on her at the very least.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.