Page 600 of 828 FirstFirst ... 100500550590596597598599600601602603604610650700 ... LastLast
Results 8,986 to 9,000 of 12411
    Ultimate Member

Maybe the big 2 need to better advertise their comics. If people can keep up with serialized shows, they can keep up with comics

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Tell that to fans and creators who only want a few things and think those few heroes deserve it above everyone else. I get we all like the familiar stuff, but comics need to represent all groups, or else, as Surf said, they stop becoming representative.

Will the digital market change things?
    I dont see it happening, myself.

When DC tried to promote digital sales with Rebirth back around 2000, not only did the Brick and Mortar Comic Stores publicly freak out, some creators did too on the stores behalf, causing DC to dial back thier effort to appease the Brick and Mortars.

The Big 2 can't break free of the Direct Market even if they wanted to at this point.

I honestly think at this point the Big 2 have Jedi Mind Tricked themselves into believing trades and the softcover market will save them.

That way they don't have try to make their digital product appealing to the general public. For example, they could lower the prices on Digital Releases (with Digital there are no printing costs to pass on to the consumer) but they don't.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 08-24-2021 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I agree.

Even for some of us- comic book fanatics, keeping up just seems like a lot of work.

To be honest, I just can't follow comics as much as I did before. Not taking care of two kids, paying tons of bills and keeping my sanity.
    I do a lot of back reading these days outside of certain titles/runs.

I don't have the energy to figure out which X books I should read to keep up with the X line and such.

TBH, there are so many other fun things I could do in my limited time that comics doesn't fit a lot anymore. I reall only read them at work outside of the trades I bought and re-read at times.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

When DC tried to promote digital sales with Rebirth back around 2000, not only did the Brick and Mortar Comic Stores publicly freak out, some creators did too on the stores behalf, causing DC to dial back thier effort to appease the Brick and Mortars.

The Big 2 can't break free of the Direct Market even if they wanted to at this point.

I honestly think at this point the Big 2 have Jedi Mind Tricked themselves into believing trades and the softcover market will save them.

That way they don't have try to make their digital product appealing to the general public. For example, they could lower the prices on Digital Releases (with Digital there are no printing costs to pass on to the consumer) but they don't.
    I'm still shocked they don' thave a digital subscription service that isn't delayed.

Every other business has moved to subscriptions.

Marvel unlimited is close and 3 months isn't bad at all but... you would think it would be day of by now.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

Then what can they do?

BANNED

Only when the big two break free of the constraints of the direct market.

The market just wants more Batman, Spiderman and X-men and not much else. A lot of direct market demand is simply feeding speculators.

But like I said earlier, I think comics have missed an entire generation. As Surf pointed out, superhero comics have stopped being representative of the general populace for a long time now.

And the sad thing was in the early 90s with the comics boom, Milestone and even Image had a rather diverse line up of characters. As far back as 30 years ago, creators realized that superhero comics weren't really very representative of the general populace.
    Well the issue with that is that the comics market, like that of most collectibles these days, is essentially propped up by a small handful of "whales" that are willing to pay absurd prices for rare variants. Being able to sell that single 1:100 variant for a hefty chunk of change helps the shop owner pay for those 100 standard cover issues that he doesn't have a prayer of selling through, and helps the publisher goose the sales numbers by making it look like there's way more demand for the comic than there really is.

The issue with prioritizing digital is that you can't really run this this same type of scheme, unless you go the NFT route which I'm sure will piss off plenty of people. And even then, that won't solve the core issue that there just isn't isn't enough demand for comics as actual reading material, rather than a collectible, to support the industry. The smart move would be for publishers to just accept that and treat the publishing division as a loss leader that can help promote the movies and merchandise, as well as be a cheap way to test out new story ideas that can be mined for future adaptations.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Well the issue with that is that the comics market, like that of most collectibles these days, is essentially propped up by a small handful of "whales" that are willing to pay absurd prices for rare variants. Being able to sell that single 1:100 variant for a hefty chunk of change helps the shop owner pay for those 100 standard cover issues that he doesn't have a prayer of selling through, and helps the publisher goose the sales numbers by making it look like there's way more demand for the comic than there really is.

The issue with prioritizing digital is that you can't really run this this same type of scheme, unless you go the NFT route which I'm sure will piss off plenty of people. And even then, that won't solve the core issue that there just isn't isn't enough demand for comics as actual reading material, rather than a collectible, to support the industry. The smart move would be for publishers to just accept that and treat the publishing division as a loss leader that can help promote the movies and merchandise, as well as be a cheap way to test out new story ideas that can be mined for future adaptations.
    A some people would argue that's close to where they're at now.

Mighty Member

Are you guys reading Icon and Rocket?

So I have read ICON AND ROCKET #2 and here are my thoughts.

Dialogue, art and story progression continues to be good but it still has many issues.

Again, how is this Icon supposedly a match for Supes when he uses both hands to hold back a simple small building?

WTF happened to his telekinetic-ish powers?

(1) So Icon is a killer now? How is that....eh....iconic?

Isn't he supposed to be an intergalactic lawyer or was that scrapped? In this issue he makes absolutely NO ATTEMPT of arbitration or diplomacy to the white slavers before going to war against them.

Wouldn't it have been more iconic and symbolistic (not a word by you get me) if Icon had used his telekinetic-ish ability (or whatever other powers) to defeat the white slavers without killing any of them?!?.... Particularly because the white slavers had no weapon that could harm Icon, at least as far as #2. If Icon had done this, it would have illustrated an appealing testament to his character showing that having greater power is not what makes people good or bad but it's the choices on how they use that power.

Isn't that basically the whole theme of Rocket's pitch than motivated Icon into becoming a superhero?

Also....

(2) Icon supposedly killed the leader of the Confederacy so shouldn't Icon's story and existence be public knowledge on account of the historical impact of Icon's activities in the past?... Based on that, wouldn't Icon be working for, with and/or alongside the U.S Govt and their allied govts and agencies in the present day?!?

(3) Where is his mask? ....Icon decided to reveal himself openly as a superhero without a secret identity after being secretive for centuries? Why? And how does Icon intend to protect people who might/will get hurt by this?..... wouldn't this exposure also affect Icon's firm and lawyer activities?

(4) How did the characters choose their costume designs and colors? What concerns and or considerations were made? Does Icon's and Rocket's costume has more to them? .... Are they bulletproof, fireproof, nanotech, smart fibre, etc from cooperative tech?

(5) Given that Icon has had his abilities for centuries INCLUDING FLIGHT, how come he never into space perhaps to locate his native alien civilization and/or handle a cosmic event or invading alien force or whatever? Or maybe he did but it would be VERY WEIRD and kindah dumb if he didn't.

There is a very nicely done hint at the end of this #2 that may or may not have revealed that Icon is not the only alien who has been on earth for centuries who might have a longer history with Icon than was shown in this issue #2.

I am also interested in this XIOMARA COLLINS and the group she supposedly represents as well as the "many groups interested" in Rocket's wellbeing.....and how are those supplying thugs with advanced....ahem... hardware.

Hopefully my questions/ concerns will be addressed in future releases. This is a 6 issues mini, 4 issues to go and I will be sharing my thoughts as we go along.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Besouro; 08-26-2021 at 06:13 AM.

Invincible Member

I read Icon issue #1. I haven't read #2 yet, but in general I'm a couple months behind on recent comics. What I'm interested in is how Reginald Hudlin is going to deal with Augustus being a conservative. Being a conservative in the early 90's was a very different thing than being a conservative in 2021.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Who is that gorgeous woman with the braids? Looking forward to playing this after skipping KOF XIV.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Who is that gorgeous woman with the braids? Looking forward to playing this after skipping KOF XIV.
    Her name isn't revealed yet.

If I might ask, why did you skip xiv?

Invincible Member

What's interesting though is that he kind of hand waves the idea that there's people out trying to turn men gay. However, there are many folks who do truly believe this and that's part of what the problem is.
    Last edited by ed2962; 08-28-2021 at 08:18 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post

What's interesting though is that he kind of hand waves the idea that there's people out trying to turn men gay. However, there are many folks who do truly believe this and that's part of what the problem is.
    There’s a greater discussion to be had here beyond the black community.

A year or two ago, there was a survey that showed that LGBT acceptance amongst younger people had dropped sharply. https://time.com/5613276/glaad-accep...-lgbtq-survey/

Why this is is anyone’s guess but there does seem to be some shifting attitudes towards the LGBT community that goes beyond the black community.

Shang is starting to get review bombed already, so that's neat.

There’s a greater discussion to be had here beyond the black community.

A year or two ago, there was a survey that showed that LGBT acceptance amongst younger people had dropped sharply. https://time.com/5613276/glaad-accep...-lgbtq-survey/

Why this is is anyone’s guess but there does seem to be some shifting attitudes towards the LGBT community that goes beyond the black community.
    I'd be very curious if it is because the "T" part has become the forefront LGBTQ issue the last few? handful? of years, at least in the "mainstream news."