Page 603 of 828 FirstFirst ... 103503553593599600601602603604605606607613653703 ... LastLast
Results 9,031 to 9,045 of 12408

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Simu Liu pettiness is hilarious but idk if it is a good idea to keep poking the troll bears lol
    What's happening with Simu Liu?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    So I finally saw a movie in the Theaters: Black Widow.

I deliberately saw it when the theater wasn't that crowded (and the movie has been out for awhile besides). I'm not taking any more chances than I have to, even if I have been vaccinated.

Yeaa I finally got to a movie for the first time in a long time too. Thursday I was all set to drop off the kids go see 10 Rings on Sunday evening before a party we got invited too, with the thought maybe she'd go along better with a Sunday crowd but by Friday I decided ****, the Drive-In still has some weeks open and we can all go then so that's what we did on Friday night.

So, I love Michelle Yeoh, no shade to her but damn, she's long since been part of the Hollywood 'house band' as it were for Asian actors. Also the only missing MCU Asian player was Dr. Cho from Ultron. The scene where Awkward-fina was the one that didn't speak the language was really the only joke that landed for me. Hopefully this is the last of Ghandi we get in the MCU, damn he was annoying. Pretty good movie though, kinda Wakanda light for the third act with the magical city.

The movie was fine but it occurs to me how fucked up this situation is for front facing service people having to check vaccine cards.

How many "I'm not showing you $#!÷" assholes do they have to deal with every day now?

They do not get paid enough for that nonsense.
    Just the temperance it takes to deal with that everyday, I don't even. Now that all the football is back and ain't no body asking most of those events for no vaccination card. Not to mention the big path of devastation from the hurricane that extends from Louisiana to New Jersey where people are going to have be sheltered together and distancing is gonna be tough. Problem with this country the majority worry about this perception of a 'slippery slope' (I hate that term) whereas many of us are actually working forward UP the real slope. Worrying about what 'might' go down takes people away from what actually is and those people are gonna be the ones to put us back to the front of this pandemic again, or worse.

The mandates are one thing but the enforcement of it will never be what it needs to.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    All they're going to do is make more tweets and youtube videos. They were going to do it anyway.
    Some actors can't handle the death threats mentally it seems
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What's happening with Simu Liu?
    funny memes making fun of the youtubers who said Shang would bomb due to pandering
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Yeaa I finally got to a movie for the first time in a long time too. Thursday I was all set to drop off the kids go see 10 Rings on Sunday evening before a party we got invited too, with the thought maybe she'd go along better with a Sunday crowd but by Friday I decided ****, the Drive-In still has some weeks open and we can all go then so that's what we did on Friday night.

So, I love Michelle Yeoh, no shade to her but damn, she's long since been part of the Hollywood 'house band' as it were for Asian actors. Also the only missing MCU Asian player was Dr. Cho from Ultron. The scene where Awkward-fina was the one that didn't speak the language was really the only joke that landed for me. Hopefully this is the last of Ghandi we get in the MCU, damn he was annoying. Pretty good movie though, kinda Wakanda light for the third act with the magical city.

Just the temperance it takes to deal with that everyday, I don't even. Now that all the football is back and ain't no body asking most of those events for no vaccination card. Not to mention the big path of devastation from the hurricane that extends from Louisiana to New Jersey where people are going to have be sheltered together and distancing is gonna be tough. Problem with this country the majority worry about this perception of a 'slippery slope' (I hate that term) whereas many of us are actually working forward UP the real slope. Worrying about what 'might' go down takes people away from what actually is and those people are gonna be the ones to put us back to the front of this pandemic again, or worse.

The mandates are one thing but the enforcement of it will never be what it needs to.
    "What might go down" tends to affect the majority in cases like this, and in the USA they're all about "muh freedum", whereas "what does go down" tends to affect minorities, whose freedoms don't matter

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    funny memes making fun of the youtubers who said Shang would bomb due to pandering
    “Representation hype” aside, it still felt like a decent/fun movie that wasn’t up its own ass about social progress (barring maybe a couple scenes).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    “Representation hype” aside, it still felt like a decent/fun movie that wasn’t up its own ass about social progress (barring maybe a couple scenes).
    How many movies are actually like that, though? I see this kind of complaint a lot, but I less often see movies actually "up its own ass" about social commentary.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    How many movies are actually like that, though? I see this kind of complaint a lot, but I less often see movies actually "up its own ass" about social commentary.
    It's not like we get a lot of social commentary films as it is. Maybe 2 every other year at best aimed at the artsy crowd.

If they are talking about stuff like Falcon and the Winter Soldier, they can go kick rocks. You'd think Marvel Studios had been taken over by Melvin Van Peebles because several Black character mention thier grievances for about 15 minutes in a 6 part miniseries.

Giving the whiners the benefit of the doubt, I can only assume the complaints are about movies like Crazy Rich Asians which doesn't seem to have much of a message to it other than "Some of us like to flex our wealth, ok"?

Considering closest thing to Crazy Rich Asians genre wise that I came across was Monsoon Wedding which came out 20 years ago, the whiners don't even have that leg to stand on.

There are people still out there bitching about Brie Larson in 2021. That should tell people something.

Ultimate Member

The majority of POC movies are NOT like that. The films that actually do that are the ones we rarely see in theaters to begin with.

Heck most POC lead shows and books are NOT like that.

Yet the usual suspects will scream that are.

Because they don't like seeing POC as leads acting like HUMANS. And not the stereotypes that they have been TAUGHT.

Ultimate Member

It's not like we get a lot of social commentary films as it is. Maybe 2 every other year at best aimed at the artsy crowd.

If they are talking about stuff like Falcon and the Winter Soldier, they can go kick rocks. You'd think Marvel Studios had been taken over by Melvin Van Peebles because several Black character mention thier grievances for about 15 minutes in a 6 part miniseries.

Giving the whiners the benefit of the doubt, I can only assume the complaints are about movies like Crazy Rich Asians which doesn't seem to have much of a message to it other than "Some of us like to flex our wealth, ok"?

Considering closest thing to Crazy Rich Asians genre wise that I came across was Monsoon Wedding which came out 20 years ago, the whiners don't even have that leg to stand on.

There are people still out there bitching about Brie Larson in 2021. That should tell people something.
    Exactly. I'm not sure what people are watching but I barely see this stuff in movies and shows, especially blockbuster ones. And FaWS touched on the subject but it wasn't the only focus. And so what if it is? Movies and shows are allowed to be about real things. But most aren't anyway so what's the complaint?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The majority of POC movies are NOT like that. The films that actually do that are the ones we rarely see in theaters to begin with.

Because they don't like seeing POC as leads acting like HUMANS. And not the stereotypes that they have been TAUGHT.
    And anytime any film actually mentions issues non-White people deal with, someone complains. But most of the time it's just about something that isn't there.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Quoted for the absolute truth.

Ultimate Member

Exactly this.

There are some movies that deal with this sort of stuff but the truth is, we don't really have that many Spike Lees today.

Most POC/minority led projects and media aren't really preachy at all.

Ultimate Member

Regarding the usual Youtube and social media whiners, when movies like Shang-Chi, Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman smash box office records it completely decimates their "get woke, go broke" nonsense. Heck, part of the reason the Fast and Furious movies are as successful as they are is the "diverse" nature of the cast.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/09/sh...ms-1234662436/

It also proves something that Marvel has long known, but has yet to fully capitalize on: moviegoers are very eager to see “diverse” MCU films starring actors of color and featuring stories rooted in their cultural identities. When Ryan Coogler’s “Black Panther” arrived in theaters in 2018, the film smashed record after record — and, much like “Shang-Chi,” wildly exceeded even the most optimistic expectations. That shouldn’t have come as a surprise: Recent studies report that diverse films make more money at the box office, full stop.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's money to be made in more diverse projects.

More and more people of different cultures want to see heroes that look like them ESPECIALLY the younger generation. And the average person isn't really opposed to seeing different people of different cultures on TV and film especially in the more cosmopolitan areas.

Ultimate Member

That's why I tend to roll my eyes at people complaining about preachiness and diversity. I can never tell if they're accurate or just fragile. But media will only become more diverse as time progresses, and that's good.

Extraordinary Member

That's why I tend to roll my eyes at people complaining about preachiness and diversity. I can never tell if they're accurate or just fragile. But media will only become more diverse as time progresses, and that's good.
    I tend to think that true “preachiness” in art can only really come with hypocrisy - which is of course going to be much rarer when dealing with true representation behind the camera.

On the other hand, if context, subtext, or just plain text reveals a hypocrisy, than it can feel preachy because it doesn’t seem to practice what it’s ostensibly about. Like how The Force Awakens practiced inclusion well enough to establish a context where Lucasfilm’s subtextual bias and prejudice towards Adam Driver as Kylo Ren was revealed by The Last Jedi, even though The Last Jedi’s most vocal defenders try to argue it was making a statement.

Because we saw that Star Wars was perfectly capable of having a female main character and a black male lead, we saw that her story didn’t neccessarily need a connection to a pre-established “patriarchy,” and we saw that having a close relationship with pseudo-romantic vibes between a black guy and a white girl wasn’t driving off anyone… before The Last Jedi came in an immediately started pimping out Rey’s credibility to try and push Kylo as the male lead and de-facto main protagonist because of his family while seeming to freak out about Finn so much it banished him and the rest of the cast’s non-white actors to a subplot of a subplot of pointless failure.

There, when people claimed TLJ was progressive, it stunk of hypocrisy. The film couldn’t “go woke, get broke” because it wasn’t “woke” in the first place.

(Don’t get me wrong; Luke’s fans got pissed or very predictable reasons, and the family story arguably needed Rey to be a Skywalker… but those are different aspects of TLJ’s issues.)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP