Page 624 of 828 FirstFirst ... 124524574614620621622623624625626627628634674724 ... LastLast
Results 9,346 to 9,360 of 12408

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    There's comedy to be made in attacking the extremes of cancel culture, but cancel culture has always existed. It's nothing really new. What's new is those doing the cancelling, which isn't just the majority demographic anymore. And some people deserve to be cancelled.

I haven't seen Chappelle's latest show yet so I can't be sure of what he's said.
    The biggest sin is that there wasn't any comedy lol.

His stand up has slowly turned into "dave talks for awhile" without jokes.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Invincible Member

Plus Netflix threw like $60 mil at Dave to come out of retirement and do specials for them. He certainly hasn't been "cancelled".

Invincible Member

Actually complaining about so-called "cancel culture" and "wokeness" has become the laziest way for professionals to create content these days...

Ultimate Member

Chappelle said A LOT of things in his specials. I disagree with some of it and I agree with some of it.

Not the part of ridiculing people but the true lack of intersectionalism between minority and white LGBTIQ communities is something Chappelle has talked about for a while and it's a real issue. It's something that pretty much no one is talking about except a few queer creators online. He also highlighted how just how little black people lives matter to other people and how folks pick and choose what to be outraged by. Granted his point about DaBaby was actually wrong (DaBaby killed someone in self-defense years ago and it was before he became a famous rapper) but there is an uncomfortable racial dynamic to a lot of this stuff. For example, Eminem said a METRIC TON of homophobic stuff and no one cancels his appearances at awards shows and the likes, heck, he even got Elton John to perform with him at the Grammys. It was a long time ago, sure, but why don't folks did back and bring it up like the way they did Kevin Hart when he was supposed to host the Oscars?? A lot of rappers talk about killing other black people and in some case have actually killed other people and why don't people cancel them?

I also agree that people simply DO NOT LISTEN anymore. Folks pick and choose the parts of an argument and run with it while ignoring the entire context of said discussion. Chappelle actually did talk about a trans friend that was bullied into suicide by their own community but no one is actually talking about that part of the special at all.

In his previous specials, he brought up the whole "missing white woman" syndrome and talked about just how many black women go missing and no one says a word about it. He's also brought up how the justice system is completely unfair to teens of color and white teens. The problem is that folks don't want to listen to those parts of the discussion when they are really and truly very serious issues.

Now the whole thing with "team TERF" is something that I really don't agree with and it's in that Chappelle's true "bias" starts to show. I also don't agree with the constant jokes at the expense of gay people, a lot of it is unfunny and unnecessary. But his greater point about the racial dynamics in social politics and how little power black people truly have in it is something I agree with 100%.
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-09-2021 at 12:14 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Chappelle said A LOT of things in his specials. I disagree with some of it and I agree with some of it.

Not the part of ridiculing people but the true lack of intersectionalism between minority and white LGBTIQ communities is something Chappelle has talked about for a while and it's a real issue. It's something that pretty much no one is talking about except a few queer creators online. He also highlighted how just how little black people lives matter to other people and how folks pick and choose what to be outraged by. Granted his point about DaBaby was actually wrong (DaBaby killed someone in self-defense years ago and it was before he became a famous rapper) but there is an uncomfortable racial dynamic to a lot of this stuff. For example, Eminem said a METRIC TON of homophobic stuff and no one cancels his appearances at awards shows and the likes, heck, he even got Elton John to perform with him at the Grammys. It was a long time ago, sure, but why don't folks did back and bring it up like the way they did Kevin Hart when he was supposed to host the Oscars?? A lot of rappers talk about killing other black people and in some case have actually killed other people and why don't people cancel them?

I also agree that people simply DO NOT LISTEN anymore. Folks pick and choose the parts of an argument and run with it while ignoring the entire context of said discussion. Chappelle actually did talk about a trans friend that was bullied into suicide by their own community but no one is actually talking about that part of the special at all.

In his previous specials, he brought up the whole "missing white woman" syndrome and talked about just how many black women go missing and no one says a word about it. He's also brought up how the justice system is completely unfair to teens of color and white teens. The problem is that folks don't want to listen to those parts of the discussion when they are really and truly very serious issues.

Now the whole thing with "team TERF" is something that I really don't agree with and it's in that Chappelle's true "bias" starts to show. I also don't agree with the constant jokes at the expense of gay people, a lot of it is unfunny and unnecessary. But his greater point about the racial dynamics in social politics and how little power black people truly have in it is something I agree with 100%.
    They did bring up Eminem's homophobia back then. Him performing with Elton John was part of him trying to atone for it.

Eh, chapelles other shows have been more balanced and he did have good points. Hes generally has been able to craft crude jokes thst made you think a bit (the Cosby skit for instance)

This last one just felt like he doubled down on some of his more "meh" points.... without being funny.

Im not saying daves never had good points wrapped into his routine... im saying rhis last one wasnt good lol.

And they atrempted to cancel Em long ago when he dropped and instead je doubled down on it and it lead to him becoming even more popular. The media trying to cancel him just put gasoline on the fire.

And he way calmed down through the decades.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    They did bring up Eminem's homophobia back then. Him performing with Elton John was part of him trying to atone for it.
    Yes and he still said all manner of crap after that.

Even fairly recently he called Tyler the Creator the F-word.
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-09-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Eh, chapelles other shows have been more balanced and he did have good points. Hes generally has been able to craft crude jokes thst made you think a bit (the Cosby skit for instance)

This last one just felt like he doubled down on some of his more "meh" points.... without being funny.

Im not saying daves never had good points wrapped into his routine... im saying rhis last one wasnt good lol.

And they atrempted to cancel Em long ago when he dropped and instead je doubled down on it and it lead to him becoming even more popular. The media trying to cancel him just put gasoline on the fire.

And he way calmed down through the decades.
    I agree that Em has cooled down but it still speaks to a larger point.

No black rapper can get away with the amount of crap Em said back then. None.

Besides the homophobia, Em still talked about sexual assault, sexual violence and misogyny and he got away with it. He didn't just get away with it, he's won a TON of awards for his "work".

I still remember the outrage around Eminem getting all manner of acclaim and the likes of DMX being treated like a pariah because he was too "hardcore".

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I agree that Em has cooled down but it still speaks to a larger point.

No black rapper can get away with the amount of crap Em said back then. None.

Besides the homophobia, Em still talked about sexual assault, sexual violence and misogyny and he got away with it. He didn't just get away with it, he's won a TON of awards for his "work".

I still remember the outrage around Eminem getting all manner of acclaim and the likes of DMX being treated like a pariah because he was too "hardcore".
    DMX has 6? number one albums in a row. He was no pariah.

Chris Brown beats women and they love him.

Mike Tyson went to prison for rape and they love him.

Jon Jones has been arrested how many times now?

Talent gets away with a lot.

Even fairly recently he called Tyler the Creator the F-word.
    because I believe Tyler called himself that first and even then, Em apologized for it, which is unheard of for him.

Like I said, Em leaned so hard into it, it became part of his brand, which made him bullet proof from it.
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 10-09-2021 at 02:53 PM.

Ultimate Member

Tbh, I'm not sure why a lot of rappers haven't already been cancelled for things like misogyny. Chris Brown still somehow has a career

Invincible Member

because I believe Tyler called himself that first and even then, Em apologized for it, which is unheard of for him.

Like I said, Em leaned so hard into it, it became part of his brand, which made him bullet proof from it.
    Not to mention Ice Cube writes most of the lyrics for NWA ( "**** Tha Police" etc), his own record is called AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted and he does "No Vaseline"...he goes on to become a movie star and even does family films.

Ice-T writes "Cop Killer" and after that controversy, he's been playing a cop on TV for almost 20yrs.

Dre threw Dee Barnes down the stairs and people immediately forgot about it.

I mean, of course things aren't always equal when it comes to how black celebrities are treated compared to white celebrities, but to say that Em gets special treatment compared to other rappers, I dunno...

Tbh, I'm not sure why a lot of rappers haven't already been cancelled for things like misogyny. Chris Brown still somehow has a career
    Misogyny in hip-hop is a strange thing. I actually got in an argument with my cousin about it. She was telling me about the lyrics behind Soldier boy's "Superman", I told her that I already knew about the song and I thought it was disgusting. Video vixens came up, and I told her that the rappers were exploiting them. She got mad at me and told me that the women were at fault, that they were choosing to be in those videos.

R.Kelly has had a slew of female defenders for years, he still does.

I've got no clue why it's like this, but it is.

Invincible Member

Well, a lot rappers have been criticized for glorifying violence, sexism, and using the N-Word. But criticism isn't the same as being so-called "cancelled". And like MindofShadow said, when being edgy is part of your brand, it only helps.

Chris is a little different seeing as he was more on the R&B pop side, but still he was someone people loves and some fans believe he can do no wrong.
    Last edited by ed2962; 10-09-2021 at 04:08 PM.

Ultimate Member

DMX had several number 1 albums. He had two in a single year and he wasn't even nominated for a single grammy while Eminem swept the awards despite his music having a f-ton more questionable content. I don't think he was even invited at all. That's why the likes of Jay-Z actively boycotted the Grammys way back then...it was really shameful.

The Marshall Mathers LP is still as crazy as it comes. Seriously, try and listen to it today and you'll struggle to finish that record. Eminem went all the way and back on that album...and he was celebrated for it.

Jon Jones, Tyson and Brown committed actual crimes. That's a different thing because they've been persecuted by the law.

I'm talking about how folks pick and choose when, where and whom to be outraged with. Kevin Hart (whom Chappelle has referenced twice) was a particular problematic case because some folks decided to dig into the guy's past, take jokes that were around 10 years old and use that against him. Worse still, they wanted him to apologize again after he had already apologized to host the Oscars. He was literally being treated like a low life. Good on Hart that he refused to host the Oscars though. Why ask him to grovel..?

Whereas Post Malone and Camilla Cabello have used racist language in the past and they've apologized and it's like it never happened. Point is, people are picking and choosing the extent to whom they want to cancel and some minority groups (particularly black people) can get trampled on and nothing happens. If Post Malone and Cabello had used slurs on some other minority groups, the reaction would have been much, much stiffer.

It goes beyond cancel culture. The George Floyd and Emmett Till acts haven't been passed whereas legislation protecting other minorities were swiftly passed when Biden came into office....why??
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-09-2021 at 05:46 PM.

Ultimate Member

Rappers have been HEAVILY criticized for their lyrical content. A lot of older rappers struggled to get their albums released...Two Live Crew had some of their albums treated like obscenity and Ice-T struggled to get Cop Killer released. Even "Baby got back" was only played after 10.00pm on MTV.

Back then, a lot of rappers struggled to get airplay and a hardcore rap (just like heavy metal) wasn't all that mainstream despite the massive album sales (that's why the likes of Will Smith and LL Cool J were always welcome at awards ceremonies). For a good long while you didn't have rappers chart on the billboard top 10 single charts compared to the total dominance you see today.

The truth is, money talks. The top music executives noticed that majority of hardcore rap sales were going to white homes and they decided to capitalize. Then when Bill Clinton passed the Telecommunications Act of 1996 the bigger music studios effectively bought a number of radio stations in subsequent years and with hip-hop growing more popular they eventually moved it into the mainstream. All this coincided with MTV playing a lot more rap music outside of "Yo, MTV raps". Today, hip-hop and pop completely dominate the airwaves just like the execs wanted.

Point is, hip-hop has become too profitable for everyone involved. To this day, a lot of people actually still criticize them for their lyrical content but it's just too big to do anything about anymore.