Page 626 of 828 FirstFirst ... 126526576616622623624625626627628629630636676726 ... LastLast
Results 9,376 to 9,390 of 12411
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It goes beyond cancel culture. The George Floyd and Emmett Till acts haven't been passed whereas legislation protecting other minorities were swiftly passed when Biden came into office....why??
    For Emmett Till it passed in the House. The Senate is another story as it is on hold since 2020. I would say this bill is on the matter WHEN not IF it gets done.

George Floyd. Sitting at the Senate table. They want to forever blame Biden but WHAT is the actual thing holding it up?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Isn't this guy another anti-SJW whiner?
    I wouldn't call him a "whiner" per se, but yeah...he's definitely a grifter. It's interesting because the person he's debating is Nerdette's Newsstand who was previously Comicsgate adjacent but has backed away from that scene after realizing that the big guys are con men and seeing some of the bullying that goes on there.
    Last edited by ed2962; 10-10-2021 at 09:19 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I wouldn't call him a "whiner" per se, but yeah...he's definitely a grifter. It's interesting because the person he's debating is Nerdette's Newsstand who was previously Comicsgate adjacent but has backed away from that scene after realizing that the big guys are con men and seeing some of the bullying that goes on there.
    Ultimately he's still just another 'whine about cancel culture/racebending/SJW' guy, though, right? I tried to watch one of his videos but I couldn't make it

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I think they had a great idea for what should be the heart of Nat’s story in regards to making sure that Yelena and the rest of her family were set-up for future stories… but got a bit of a bug in their bonnet about trying to make a 1) completely original character villain be 2) the personification of men exploiting young women and girls - and provide a “get out of guilt free” card on the girl that Loki had mentioned Natasha was responsible for killing back in Avengers.

They got overlay ambitious without looking for whatever characters in the comics would have sufficed for a similar role to what they wanted and maybe given them a bit more of short-cut to developing the idea to fruition.

They also got caught up in trying to apply the same idea to Taskmaster, and again overcompensated a bit too much - the opening sequence was haunting enough to get the idea across and remain a theme for the enitre film.
    IMO, they got a bit cute with the Taskmaster reveal because 1) they wanted to acknowledge that Nat had done some messed up (if not outright evil) stuff in her past and

2) The Taskmaster doesn't exactly work in the MCU where there's no Peak human and Captain America, Black Panther and Spider Man all have car flipping Super Strength to various degrees. TM doesn't make sense in the Comics either, which is why TM went from an Avengers rogue to a Spider Man rogue to a Deadpool lite. At least as a action Merc type fighting no name enemy Mercs, he can believably win without any hero jobbing out.

Narratively they had to address Nat's dark past since at least 2 Avengers movies referenced it and they weren't going to get another chance to address it since this was a solo film about a character who had already died (whose actress is also done with the MCU).

Ultimate Member

For me, it's a bit hard to care considering her dark past wasn't really shown before.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    IMO, they got a bit cute with the Taskmaster reveal because 1) they wanted to acknowledge that Nat had done some messed up (if not outright evil) stuff in her past and

2) The Taskmaster doesn't exactly work in the MCU where there's no Peak human and Captain America, Black Panther and Spider Man all have car flipping Super Strength to various degrees. TM doesn't make sense in the Comics either, which is why TM went from an Avengers rogue to a Spider Man rogue to a Deadpool lite. At least as a action Merc type fighting no name enemy Mercs, he can believably win without any hero jobbing out.

Narratively they had to address Nat's dark past since at least 2 Avengers movies referenced it and they weren't going to get another chance to address it since this was a solo film about a character who had already died (whose actress is also done with the MCU).
    Got so cute that it didn't make any GD sense.

TM was spoilers:
    seemingly enhanced? She straight up blasted BW and was ragdolling the enhanced REd Guardian. You MIGHT be able to excuse kicking RG's ass considering he was 20 years out fo the game and out of shape but he was still strong as she and no normal human has stood up to an enhanced person yet in the MCU

But if Tasky is enhanced... why aren't the widows that he has perfect mind control over? His reasoning that she was alive didn't even make any sense. "I had to put and chip in her neck"... ok and? lol

Dreycov had no motivations other than be cartoonly evil towards woman using a discount WS program. In a fortress in the sky. That no one knew about. HOW? Just putthe damn base in Siberia underground or something.

end of spoilers

Arg my brain lol.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

You know, I watched Dave's last special after you guys talked about it, and ... y'know, I chuckled maybe a couple of times, but agreed, it's a far fall, from the brilliant humor of his old standup stuff. Not just this one either, but all of his recent Netflix things.

Thinking about it, and this is I'm sure not the exact best words to explain it, but I think the problem in his newer stuff is that Dave himself doesn't seem to have a great sense of humor about it all. Like, it's kind of hard to laugh really hard at someone's jokes, if they don't seem very amused about any of it, themself. And he really doesn't, does he?

I mean, I really kind of get it. According to Wikipedia, we are the same age, I'm about six months older than him. And yeah, if you get me around 2000, as opposed to today, I was a lot more exuberant, there was a lot of hardship and learning still ahead of me, so no doubt I seem less spry and wide-eyed about everything, life in general, as opposed to back then. So, really not faulting him, that he seems less amused about life, these days.

But still, geez -- you know, his story about his trans friend/fellow comedian who died was touching, but from what little I know about it, he maybe took the wrong lesson from the whole thing. Like, he wanted to give help with the craft, about how to be a great comedian. And he missed that she was apparently more funny when just enjoying life, than when performing. I'm not saying he's not a master at his craft, because from Pryor to Murphy to Rock to him, he's definitely one of the greats. But I guess just, if you really don't think there's some **** you find really funny that you want to talk about -- you know, don't get up there.

Not at all dismissing your complexity as a human being or your intelligence of sensitivity or any of that, because I think that is all apparent. But getting onstage for all of that is more spoken-word performance -- standup comedy is supposed to be about getting people to laugh. And yeah, he's unfortunately not doing great on that front, these last few years.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    In people are weird news...R.Kelly's album sales have gone up by 500% since his guilty verdict. His streams jumped from 11.2m to 13.4m.
    I feel that's a temporary bump and even then not unexpected. I know we compared Roman Polanski to R. Kelly and brotha Shaw said Kells was a little fish. I feel the opposite is true, Polanski is the little fish. A little pervert fish who operated in a school of pervert fish under the Hollywood systesm going back to the 60's. There are a lot of them. The work of R. Kelly means WAY more to people, and not just African-Americans mind you. Nobody's ever had a family renuion or a gathering and Fearless Vampire Killers was played over the stero.

R. Kelly doesn't even mean as much to me as he does/did to other people but to this day there is a CD of his that I'm not ever going to get rid of. It may even take some time for me to even listen to it again but dudes music meant things to people. People got married to his music, had receptions to his music. People had, white people too, I belive I can Fly playing at school functions. The steppers, all the jams, folks of a time have lived life to his work. It's fucked up and people are going to understandably gonna have a hard time with that.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Speaking of random CMB... finally saw Black Widow on D+ and that is the worst MCU third act yet. Bast have mercy how was this not ripped apart? Because people were starving for a blockbuster because of covid? Or did I just miss the criticism.

and lol at the spoilers:
    magical negro who can get top of the line jets or whatever the plot demands lol. wtf happened in this third act?
    end of spoilers
    Yeeeaa I caught it. The rewatchability of it is nearly a zero. Harbour's lines were about the only thing entertaining about the whole expierience (shoutout to the outfits the sister rocked through most of it though). There were a lot of sistas that played Widow's I noticed too. The third act had no explanation, for this level of capability, in any of the dozen-

superhero movies preeceding it. I was like Nicholson's Joker at the parade. "Why didn't someone tell me he had one of those... things." I wasn't ready for the Black Widow character to become Supergirl at the end. And the guy she got all the gear from, did he steal the Avengers jet at the end??? OY.

Far as Taskmaster, ya know on the real life collecter side of things. Tons of real money has exchanged hands on the strength of this Z-list character, who is really not even a full concept imo and this was the result? If one didn't know before, the speculation market has money to effing burn.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Idk if I could listen to a song by a guy who did all that

I think Dave Chapelle is becoming a 21st century Lenny Bruce. After Bruce was arrested for obscenity, his act became more about protesting his arrest and speculating on the real reasons for it than about telling jokes. In much the same way, Chapelle's act is becoming more about the backlash to his jokes than about the jokes themselves. As Adam Allen said, it's now more spoken word than it is stand-up comedy.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Ultimate Member

Maybe Chappelle should announce his *transition* to spoken word? (I'll see myself out)

Mighty Member

I saw chips of Chapelle's special And yeah, it did just feel like a guy in his 50's recounting his life experiences And his thoughts. The problem is, he falls until a lot of traps that folks his age fall into, And that's simply he doesn't understand what he is talking about. If he was born 20 years later he probably would. But trans folks were largely seen as a joke in media. They were scary psycho killers And perverted jokes with the only two positive portrayals being Twin Peaks And a British comedy called My Family.

Back in the 80's, 90's And to some extent, the 00's, there wave of comedians pushing new boundaries (at least over here in the UK). This new wave of comedian told jokes you couldn't tell before And pushed out against a conservative goverment.
    But now with time, they haven't really progressed And instead they're the ones pushing out a more conservative comedy show.
    You can say you're a feminist because those opinions lined up with what you had 30 years ago. But today the trans communuty is an actual thing, And you've spent the last 30 years being the comedian of top, so you're just not going to think about it the same way someone in their 20's were.

Also, i'm gonna steal a Stewart Lee bit here (look him up, he is probably the funniest comedian we have), if you're making a moving speech that makes People cry And your comedy show, it's probably not a good comedy show.

I saw the special. I honestly don't know how to feel about it. Dave did say some messed up stuff, and I think he's trying to parse out his beliefs, but they haven't been fully formed.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Got so cute that it didn't make any GD sense.

TM was spoilers:
    seemingly enhanced? She straight up blasted BW and was ragdolling the enhanced REd Guardian. You MIGHT be able to excuse kicking RG's ass considering he was 20 years out fo the game and out of shape but he was still strong as she and no normal human has stood up to an enhanced person yet in the MCU
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Not really. The Loki show does have normal humans giving the titular character problems.
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    spoilers:
    Not really. The Loki show does have normal humans giving the titular character problems.
    end of spoilers
    That's always a stretch, though. spoilers:
    Loki shouldn't have any problems fighting normal humans
    end of spoilers