Page 641 of 828 FirstFirst ... 141541591631637638639640641642643644645651691741 ... LastLast
Results 9,601 to 9,615 of 12416

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Not to put words in Surf's mouth, but I think he meant cold badass. The female characters in the MCU seem a little...detatched and aloof. They can't show too many emotions, other than all the quipping, It's almost as if characters in the MCU are incapable of having a sincere conversation with one another. Carol had a whole movie centered on her so it was just more telling.

You feel me? I wouldn't even go as far as a badass cause there's more of them than you think but they all run real cool.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Imagining a conversation between the Female End Game group is kinda funny in retrospect lol

Nebula- my life sucks

Shuri- teenage quip

Okoye- sassy quip

Mantis- i don't know what is going on dumb comment/quip

Gamora- silently growls

Wanda- *angry crying*

Valkryie- swings alchohol then quips

Carol- *silently grins with no emotion*

Pepper- TONYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Wasp- sighs, realizes she technically had a movie before the rest but no one cares at all
    Hilarious, Betta get your Flex Hectic on lol. Wasp is the worst one too, she's a pro at it and comes with her own punching bag in Scott AND her pops, shitty part is I used to think she was hot stuff back in the day. That was before anti-mask leanings. That's on me, shoulda figured her for that long since.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Not to put words in Surf's mouth, but I think he meant cold badass. The female characters in the MCU seem a little...detatched and aloof. They can't show too many emotions, other than all the quipping, It's almost as if characters in the MCU are incapable of having a sincere conversation with one another. Carol had a whole movie centered on her so it was just more telling.
    Yeah, I don't really agree with that assessment. They're only 'aloof' because they're not stereotypically smiley and cheery

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post

You feel me? I wouldn't even go as far as a badass cause there's more of them than you think but they all run real cool.

Hilarious, Betta get your Flex Hectic on lol. Wasp is the worst one too, she's a pro at it and comes with her own punching bag in Scott AND her pops, shitty part is I used to think she was hot stuff back in the day. That was before anti-mask leanings. That's on me, shoulda figured her for that long since.
    I honestly don't even know what you're complaining about right now.

Extraordinary Member

That is likely because most of the emotional heavy lifting in an MCU movie is done by the dudes. Cap and Tony Stark's friendship/antagonism. Cap's need to save Bucky. Star Lord's immaturity and daddy issues. Thor's dealing with failure.

None of the MCU females get to wallow in then confront thier disfunction like the guy characters do. Comic book Carol Danvers got to be an ex alcoholic who regularly sees a psychiatrist. But MCU doesn't get to be a self loathing ex drunk which was the most interesting thing about comic book Carol. Trying to make her a role model/icon tanked her character somewhat.

Even Rocket Racoon got one of those "confront your issues" with Yondu and you had two children of Thanos right there in Nebula and Gamora. Even Gamora's death was mainly about Thanos and Star Lord and not Gamora.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 10-30-2021 at 07:13 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    That is likely because most of the emotional heavy lifting in an MCU movie is done by the dudes. Cap and Tony Stark's friendship/antagonism. Cap's need to save Bucky. Star Lord's immaturity and daddy issues. Thor's dealing with failure.

None of the MCU females get to wallow in then confront thier disfunction like the guy characters do. Comic book Carol Danvers got to be an ex alcoholic who regularly sees a psychiatrist. But MCU doesn't get to be a self loathing ex drunk which was the most interesting thing about comic book Carol. Trying to make her a role model/icon tanked her character somewhat.

Even Rocket Racoon got one of those "confront your issues" with Yondu and you had two children of Thanos right there in Nebula and Gamora. Even Gamora's death was mainly about Thanos and Star Lord and not Gamora.
    Yet for some reason the blame always falls on the female characters for being too uptight or not smiling enough or whatever. Instead of on the mostly male filmmakers not really focusing enough on the female superheroes. But somehow a woman being competent is the problem/s

Mighty Member

Well........that last part depends on whether or not the Netflix shows are canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Well........that last part depends on whether or not the Netflix shows are canon.
    They aren't. AoS isn't even canon. It was officially confirmed.

Only non D+ tv show that is canon is Agent Carter.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Point taken, but for what it's worth, I thought Gamora and Nebula's rivalry, then turning to acknowledging they cared about each other was one of the most touching aspects of the movies. I like to think Gamora might have somehow been able (if the situation would in any way have made sense) to steel herself and let Peter get tortured if need be, to save half the universe, but it made (emotional) sense that she couldn't be the reason Thanos was torturing Nebula again. Also feel like Nebula's full-on hero turn by the time of Infinity War was as much to do with her sister's example, as being just her own internal moral code.

Only non D+ tv show that is canon is Agent Carter.
    Fine if they're not, but would love it if the canon stories throw in Charlie Cox as Daredevil, because I thought he killed it.
    Last edited by Adam Allen; 10-30-2021 at 08:46 AM.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

While I'm at it, as much as he would absolutely not have been my first (or second, third, etc) choice, Jon Benthal is my favorite on-screen Punisher.

Though, much as I liked his solo show, I also kind of think he was best when co-starring on Daredevil, kind of like I think Mike Colter's Luke Cage was at the best portrayal on Jessica Jones, as compared to his solo show.

Maybe just a bit like how I really thought the Avengers heroes were better in the group movies than really any of their solo ones. Maybe just like, on the solo shows (or movies) it's so obvious that's it's a main character and supporting ones, whereas having heroes portrayed together balances it out better.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Mighty Member

Oh. Well I guess Jess Jones is out, then. Pity. Though Disney, being Disney, will probably shy away from the subject of alcoholism in the MCU film entries, anyways. At best we'll maybe get a suggestive line or undertone that'll fly over the heads of most children.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    While I'm at it, as much as he would absolutely not have been my first (or second, third, etc) choice, Jon Benthal is my favorite on-screen Punisher.

Though, much as I liked his solo show, I also kind of think he was best when co-starring on Daredevil, kind of like I think Mike Colter's Luke Cage was at the best portrayal on Jessica Jones, as compared to his solo show.

Maybe just a bit like how I really thought the Avengers heroes were better in the group movies than really any of their solo ones. Maybe just like, on the solo shows (or movies) it's so obvious that's it's a main character and supporting ones, whereas having heroes portrayed together balances it out better.
    I absolutely want none of the old actors used. I like them all but it just makes things weird. Just recast and start over.

But I really like Jon's punisher for sure.

And yeah, Punisher as a character is a touch one note for 13 episodes of a season, so I can see how him being in Daredevil as a secondary character just works. He came across as a force of nature in the Netflix shows, which fits the character.

Which is one of the reasons I like Punisher: Born ending so much. Really implies what he does is supernatural
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Idk if I've seen someone on this site say this. I always hear 'team ups take away from the main hero' and so forth

But I can't say the team ups help every hero. Thor, for instance, barely fit into A1/2

I absolutely want none of the old actors used. I like them all but it just makes things weird. Just recast and start over.
    Why's it weird? I don't think recasting is necessary

Extraordinary Member

Point taken, but for what it's worth, I thought Gamora and Nebula's rivalry, then turning to acknowledging they cared about each other was one of the most touching aspects of the movies. I like to think Gamora might have somehow been able (if the situation would in any way have made sense) to steel herself and let Peter get tortured if need be, to save half the universe, but it made (emotional) sense that she couldn't be the reason Thanos was torturing Nebula again. Also feel like Nebula's full-on hero turn by the time of Infinity War was as much to do with her sister's example, as being just her own internal moral code.

Fine if they're not, but would love it if the canon stories throw in Charlie Cox as Daredevil, because I thought he killed it.
    I’m with you 100% on Nebula and Gatorade - Nebula actually became my favorite GoTG character after Infinity War. Natasha was pretty great overall; I begrudge her film being less skilled with its villains than I did how it handled her specifically. Wasp got her strengths realized and emphasized in AM&tW.

Carol is the only one I’m still moderately uninterested in, and I think that likely has more to do with the struggles of wanting to emphasize her as a Superman-level character for an MCU where there’s stiff competition around her and a somewhat dubious amnesia plotline in her first movie. It kind fo left them overemphasizing her power but underemphasizing her true personality for a while.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Oh. Well I guess Jess Jones is out, then. Pity. Though Disney, being Disney, will probably shy away from the subject of alcoholism in the MCU film entries, anyways. At best we'll maybe get a suggestive line or undertone that'll fly over the heads of most children.
    I think it just depends on how they want to do the storyline. We had alcoholic Tony Stark in Iron Man 2.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I’m with you 100% on Nebula and Gatorade - Nebula actually became my favorite GoTG character after Infinity War. Natasha was pretty great overall; I begrudge her film being less skilled with its villains than I did how it handled her specifically. Wasp got her strengths realized and emphasized in AM&tW.

Carol is the only one I’m still moderately uninterested in, and I think that likely has more to do with the struggles of wanting to emphasize her as a Superman-level character for an MCU where there’s stiff competition around her and a somewhat dubious amnesia plotline in her first movie. It kind fo left them overemphasizing her power but underemphasizing her true personality for a while.
    I just think Carol needs more elaboration on who she is as a person. The amnesia plotline didn't help that so here's hoping future appearances do.

But honestly Natasha is the one I've never greatly cared for. She's in a bunch of movies but she always just feels like she's 'there to be there' rather than an actual character IMO

Niffleheim

The issue is mostly there hasn't been that many female led stories in the mcu and the male directors and writers haven't really written anything of value to spotlight the female characters. There is no excuse for the writers and directors for Captain Marvel just like there isn't any for Gunn, Peyton and Whedon.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Yet for some reason the blame always falls on the female characters for being too uptight or not smiling enough or whatever. Instead of on the mostly male filmmakers not really focusing enough on the female superheroes. But somehow a woman being competent is the problem/s
    I don't think ppl have a problem with competence it is more the lack of personality and being repeatedly told Carol was too emotional when there was nothing on screen to cite her emotion
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough