Page 642 of 828 FirstFirst ... 142542592632638639640641642643644645646652692742 ... LastLast
Results 9,616 to 9,630 of 12414

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think it just depends on how they want to do the storyline. We had alcoholic Tony Stark in Iron Man 2.
    Been a while since I watched it, but saying he was alcoholic in that movie seems a bit of a stretch. He did get drunk at his birthday party, which I always took as a nod to the comic storylines involving his drinking problem. Thor and Selvig (or at least Selvig lol) got drunk in the first Thor movie, but I don't think anyone would say they were alcoholics.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think it just depends on how they want to do the storyline. We had alcoholic Tony Stark in Iron Man 2.
    Just remembered that Valkyrie was "suggested" to be a recovering alcoholic as well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Oh. Well I guess Jess Jones is out, then. Pity. Though Disney, being Disney, will probably shy away from the subject of alcoholism in the MCU film entries, anyways. At best we'll maybe get a suggestive line or undertone that'll fly over the heads of most children.
    Yeah, no way Disney is going to have an boozy kinda tramp female character as a protagonist. Tho you could argue that is exactly what Tony Stark was before Iron Man 3 ( minus the being female bit).

But the grittiness that you got with all the Netflix series the MCU actively avoids.

The female characters in the MCU generally don't get much to do drama/character wise. With the interesting exception of Yelana in the recent Black Widow flick.

Yelena gets to be the one that morns her fake family. She's also the one that gets the bonding scene with David Barbour's Red Guardian, while ScarJo plays Natasha as the same quippy ice queen that she's been since Winter Soldier.

You almost never see a MCU female get to have dramatic character defining scenes like that.

Just here and the GOTG movies like AA mentioned. That's it.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/new_g...9245#gs.eidxka

New Gods cancelled because of... Justice League?

Not sure I buy this one TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post

Why's it weird? I don't think recasting is necessary
    It is weird because you get a bunch of "is it he same character or not?" type stuff. What is the point of adding confusion? ANd if it isn't the same character... we gonna get the exact same arcs all over again with the same actor? Like, I've already seen that... I don't need to see Cox and Vincent yell at each other agian lol. There are plenty of great actors out there. Just recast and move on.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    The issue is mostly there hasn't been that many female led stories in the mcu and the male directors and writers haven't really written anything of value to spotlight the female characters. There is no excuse for the writers and directors for Captain Marvel just like there isn't any for Gunn, Peyton and Whedon.
    That's why we also need more women behind the camera. To give more of a female perspective, instead of just relegating women to side characters.

I don't think ppl have a problem with competence it is more the lack of personality and being repeatedly told Carol was too emotional when there was nothing on screen to cite her emotion
    Eh, if it was just Captain Marvel, then you'd have a point, but any halfway competent female hero gets bashed because she doesn't smile enough or something like that. The 'you're too emotional' plotline was weak in execution and frankly it confused me when I first watched it. But she still shows more emotion than Captain America yet everybody likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Yeah, no way Disney is going to have an boozy kinda tramp female character as a protagonist. Tho you could argue that is exactly what Tony Stark was before Iron Man 3 ( minus the being female bit).

But the grittiness that you got with all the Netflix series the MCU actively avoids.

The female characters in the MCU generally don't get much to do drama/character wise. With the interesting exception of Yelana in the recent Black Widow flick.

Yelena gets to be the one that morns her fake family. She's also the one that gets the bonding scene with David Barbour's Red Guardian, while ScarJo plays Natasha as the same quippy ice queen that she's been since Winter Soldier.

You almost never see a MCU female get to have dramatic character defining scenes like that.

Because for a long time the people at Marvel Studios just generally cared less about female characters as a whole. Look at what happened to Janet van Dyne, for example. Or how most of the superheroines barely interact with one another.

Captain Marvel had the problem, as Tofali pointed out, of having an intentionally unemotional storyline, but without the emotional moments to back it up. But I generally think the MCU hasn't been interested enough in showcasing more varied female characterization. But it should, and hopefully it will in the future.
    Last edited by CosmiComic; 10-31-2021 at 06:55 AM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

Eh...Netflix Jessica Jones is still Disney. And don't get me started on the movie Pretty Woman...what Disney won't do is is tarnish the image of their family friendly franchises. The new Buzz Lightyear probably isn't going to have alcoholism or sex in it, but Disney as a multi-national corporation? They'll distribute whatever makes money for them.

Don't forget they're one of the 6 corporations that that own all the media we consume...

The New York attorney who appealed on behalf of Bill Cosby and helped get his sexual assault conviction overturned has now joined R. Kelly’s legal team.

According to the Chicago Tribune, Jennifer Bonjean will lead the charge on efforts to challenge the disgraced singer’s recent conviction on racketeering and sex trafficking charges in Brooklyn–which came after weeks of grueling testimony from over 40 witnesses for the prosecution and a swift guilty verdict.

More from the Tribune:

She said she’s “looking forward to getting familiar with the record” in Kelly’s case, which was anchored by Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act charges that she called a “kitchen sink approach.”

“I am becoming increasingly concerned with how the government is abusing the RICO statute in order to plead around the statute of limitations and essentially put people’s entire lives on trial,” Bonjean said. “It’s becoming a formula for the government. You have a right to defend yourself against specific allegations.”

Bonjean said she saw similar government overreach in another high-profile case she’s handling: NXIVM sex-cult leader Keith Raniere, who was convicted under the RICO statute in the same courthouse as Kelly.

https://www.theroot.com/the-attorney...-pr-1847971113

Niffleheim

Eh, if it was just Captain Marvel, then you'd have a point, but any halfway competent female hero gets bashed because she doesn't smile enough or something like that. The 'you're too emotional' plotline was weak in execution and frankly it confused me when I first watched it. But she still shows more emotion than Captain America yet everybody likes him.
    I'll be honest I can't stand Avengers and certainly can't stand Captain America but as a character Marvel did a great job adapting him on screen. A man out of time who was still Captain Ideology and Captain Friendship to the end in modern times is adorable that was his schtick he didn't need to be emotional - the whole premise of the character is inviting the audience to his journey and how he experiences new things. I wish there was the same level of thought put in Captain Marvel as a character.
    Last edited by Tofali; 11-01-2021 at 11:12 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Ultimate Member

I'll be honest I can't stand Avengers and certainly can't stand Captain America but as a character Marvel did a great job adapting him on screen. A man out of time who was still Captain Ideology and Captain Friendship to the end in modern times is a adorable that was his schtick he didn't need to be emotional - the whole premise of the character is inviting the audience to his journey and how he experiences new things. I wish there was the same level of thought put in Captain Marvel as a character.
    I agree Captain America is a more well thought out character in the MCU. But he never gets hit with 'Why doesn't he smile more' like Captain Marvel or the other MCU heroines.

Except for Shuri, who is apparently too 'jokey' to be a lead hero. Female heroes can't really win

Mighty Member

I agree Captain America is a more well thought out character in the MCU. But he never gets hit with 'Why doesn't he smile more' like Captain Marvel or the other MCU heroines.
    Besides Danvers (which seems more and more like an isolated piss take in some corner of social media), which other MCU heroine got hit with that, exactly? Cause I’m drawing a blank right now.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 11-01-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Besides Danvers (which seems more and more like an isolated piss take in some corner of social media), which other MCU heroine got hit with that, exactly? Cause I’m drawing a blank right now.
    I saw those complaints a lot online about Gamora, Nebula, Wasp, Scarlet Witch and Black even Widow. Of course that my just be my experience. But it's not just 'don't smile enough'. It's this whole online attitude I notice always pops up to bash any female hero who's not a cheery damsel. And I don't really get it. Why exactly do superheroines have to be 'happy' or 'funny' to be believable or interesting?

I saw those complaints a lot online about Gamora, Nebula, Wasp, Scarlet Witch and Black even Widow. Of course that my just be my experience. But it's not just 'don't smile enough'. It's this whole online attitude I notice always pops up to bash any female hero who's not a cheery damsel. And I don't really get it. Why exactly do superheroines have to be 'happy' or 'funny' to be believable or interesting?
    I think you need to stop visiting some of these places on the internet....
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I think you need to stop visiting some of these places on the internet....
    It was Reddit, but also other random forums, and even a few comments here

People realize what character has expressed the the most full human in the MCU right? Chadwick Boseman, may he rest in peace would be second to Michael Douglas. Dudes had the most fleshed out (616 or otherwise) range of character arc over anyone in all of the movies. Shoutout to Odin and Clint but he's the only one that is married with any children. He's had regret, sorrow, anger, remorse, frustration, even some joy. I know people put the weight on Evans and Downey but in actuality those characters only really play a couple notes. If you take away the notes they play together you're not left with a whole lot over a dozen movies. Take away the snappy patter and there's even less. Not really they fault, that's how they're written but Gordon Gekko does all the lifting in my book. Prolly a factor as to why things are running through the character as a set-up. Which makes it weird why ol' girl played a better overall character as a fuckin' elf in one of them LOTR than as Hope.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    People realize what character has expressed the the most full human in the MCU right? Chadwick Boseman, may he rest in peace would be second to Michael Douglas. Dudes had the most fleshed out (616 or otherwise) range of character arc over anyone in all of the movies. Shoutout to Odin and Clint but he's the only one that is married with any children. He's had regret, sorrow, anger, remorse, frustration, even some joy. I know people put the weight on Evans and Downey but in actuality those characters only really play a couple notes. If you take away the notes they play together you're not left with a whole lot over a dozen movies. Take away the snappy patter and there's even less. Not really they fault, that's how they're written but Gordon Gekko does all the lifting in my book. Prolly a factor as to why things are running through the character as a set-up. Which makes it weird why ol' girl played a better overall character as a fuckin' elf in one of them LOTR than as Hope.
    Because the predominately male filmmakers tend to care more about male superheroes than female ones, unfortunately. However, to say Tauriel was a better character than Hope is a real stretch.